From: xer...@KN6Q.remove-wrm-this (Xerxes)
Subject: Poll: Best BBS from 2022
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:19:00 +0000
 by: Xerxes - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:19 UTC

To: MRO
Subject: Poll: Best BBS from 2022 at facebook
Re: Poll: Best BBS from 2022 at facebook
By: MRO to Xerxes on Tue Apr 19 2022 10:59 pm

MR> i dont know why people run mystic. i guess they are told there's no other
MR> option and the author says it is a spiritual sucessor to rg and telegard.
MR> i loved rg and telegard and i don't find it as such.

MR> i think people should check out elebbs or just run an older dos bbs
MR> software, but if they like running it, that's good.

I never ran Telegard but as far as Renegade I don't think it's the "spiritual successor" to rg either.

There are "bridge" programs out there that will give you telnet and stuff to the DOS BBS software. There are people who do it and there are times I think it's tempting, but you'd still lose a ton of stuff compared to Synchronet.

I don't think Mystic is bad at all and if they like it good for them, I just don't see how even if you ran it why you would think it's "the best". I can drive a Chevy and like it just fine without claiming it's "the best car".
Sysop of Desert Rats Sanctuary --- https://bbs.kn6q.org

---
■ Synchronet ■ Desert Rats Sanctuary --- https://bbs.kn6q.org
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Poll: Best BBS from 2022 at facebook

<625FAEE4.6677.sync@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16021&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#16021

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-xxs-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:57:40 -0500
 by: MRO - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:57 UTC

To: Xerxes
Re: Poll: Best BBS from 2022 at facebook
By: Xerxes to MRO on Wed Apr 20 2022 12:19 am

> I never ran Telegard but as far as Renegade I don't think it's the
> "spiritual successor" to rg either.
>
> There are "bridge" programs out there that will give you telnet and stuff to
> the DOS BBS software. There are people who do it and there are times I
> think it's tempting, but you'd still lose a ton of stuff compared to
> Synchronet.

well older bbs softwares had the same kind of stuff for the users, and some of them had scripting languages.

i use synchronet to launch the older bbses. the elebbs i host for a friend has the telnet server on another port and then it launches via synchronet.

you can also use net2bbs.

it all depends on what you want.
like would i, myself lose a lot switching? probably not. most of my mods could be converted to another scripting language and i dont use synchronet's other servers other than bbs and email.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Poll: Best BBS from 2022

<626E9CC9.38849.sync@shenks.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16063&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#16063

From: carol.sh...@SHENKS.remove-5ah-this (Carol Shenkenberger)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 10:44:00 -0400
 by: Carol Shenkenberger - Sun, 1 May 2022 14:44 UTC

To: MRO
Re: Poll: Best BBS from 2022
By: MRO to Xerxes on Wed Apr 20 2022 01:57 am

> Re: Poll: Best BBS from 2022 at facebook
> By: Xerxes to MRO on Wed Apr 20 2022 12:19 am
>

> > I never ran Telegard but as far as Renegade I don't think it's the
> > "spiritual successor" to rg either.
> >
> > There are "bridge" programs out there that will give you telnet and stuff
> > the DOS BBS software. There are people who do it and there are times I
> > think it's tempting, but you'd still lose a ton of stuff compared to
> > Synchronet.
> >

> well older bbs softwares had the same kind of stuff for the users, and some
>
> i use synchronet to launch the older bbses. the elebbs i host for a friend
>
> you can also use net2bbs.
>
> it all depends on what you want.
> like would i, myself lose a lot switching? probably not. most of my mods cou

True. What 'rocks' for me is the flexible text editing. SOOOO much easier for
me.

xxcarol

---
■ Synchronet ■ SHENK'S EXPRESS, Virginia Beach, VA, shenks.synchro.net