From: dchme...@gmail.com (David Chmelik)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: full-tower ATX cases with more slots & front bays?
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:14:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Chmelik - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:14 UTC

Are there (m)any full-tower ATX cases left similar to white Corsair
Carbide 500R? Extended ATX/SSI-CEB also works. Several years (though
used to use Rosewill Gaming Ranger and Corsair Carbide 200R cases) that
has been main case I use for myself and building family PCs. 500Rs were
available black but it's hard to find even black Carbide 500Rs anymore,
and though they made the less-versatile 200R more years, I guess Corsair
doesn't make these styles anymore.
I like 500R because has room for eight slots, so I can fill seven but
still add serial & parallel port slot, and because has four 5.25" (133mm)
front bays, all which I use, and--if one removes extra drive bay--can
still fit today's large display/video/graphics cards like Nvidia GeForce
RTX 4090 (with separate brace/bracket to prevent sagging). 500R can even
fit a water cooler in top. 500R is slightly roomier than older cases so
cable management (had to learn more recent years) is much easier.
Lately I like SilverStone Seta D1, which is similar, but only black,
and has a panel under last slot preventing card from reaching down
further, and it's unclear how one can install water cooler in top.
However, it has a brace/bracket for large graphics card, apparently even
RTX 4090.
I've seen several cases similar in capacity, except trend after 1990s
was to make all look fancy/stupid as if trying to build a race car or
spacecraft/spaceship, and calling them 'chassis'. I had a mobile (i.e.,
on wheels so capable of motion if you pushed it) SSI-MEB workstation I
guess for that reason could've been called 'chassis' (PCs more called
'mobile' these days are more correctly called 'portable', like laptops/
pads/tablets/phones).
I preferred cases through earlier 1990s before PCs were popular when
they looked like very plain/simple/linear boxes that wouldn't seem out of
place in Sparta or USSR. This would somewhat be another requirement.
While I can tolerate a small amount of creative design on a case, it's
best not... must look mostly like a plain/simple box. If the choice was
between a fancy white case and metallic or black plain case, I'd use a
darker one in that case. In 2006 when I built workstation with four AMD
Opteron CPUs in CoolerMaster case, I even bought an older CoolerMaster
that was very rectangular instead of fancy, despite maybe didn't cool as
well as newer fancy one... might not make similar decision again, but
depends just how bad fancy cases look.
Enlight and In-win used to make great cases but don't know what
happened to them.
My favourite case is probably Lian-Li PC-50, though in '0s I was only
able to get PC-52, which looks identical except for flat door to front USB
bay which I can't use on my classic PC (P3/686). Haven't seen anything
usable (for slots & bays) from Lian-li in years despite some are still
nice and plain. Of course is great they used aluminium.
In late 1990s I read from PC Magazine that PC Power & Cooling cases
were good, but that's when they already started making them look fancy/
stupid (later sold or gave away that). They made good power supply units
(PSUs) and last I checked still existed under a different company name,
and I thought of buying another their PSUs but didn't seem available...