From: thedeerh...@movie.uni (TDH1978)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Find My and AirPods Pro (1st generation)...
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 17:37:27 -0400
 by: TDH1978 - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:37 UTC

Can someone please tell how the 'Find My' app (on either iOS or iPadOS
or macOS) tracks my (1st generation) AirPods Pro?  Do the AirPods have
to be inside or outside their case?  What if they have no charge left?
What if the person who took my AirPods is using them with an Android
phone?  Is there any way that the person can prevent the AirPods from
being found?

I assume that AirPods Pro do not work like AirTags, and that the
technology to find them (using 'Find My') is different.

Re: Find My and AirPods Pro (1st generation)...

<V1cqM.90932$edN3.749@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16082&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16082

Subject: Re: Find My and AirPods Pro (1st generation)...
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 07:48:04 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:48 UTC

On 2023-07-07 17:37, TDH1978 wrote:
> Can someone please tell how the 'Find My' app (on either iOS or iPadOS
> or macOS) tracks my (1st generation) AirPods Pro?  Do the AirPods have

It can't. It can cause a sound to play on the airpod however and
display (map) where it was last known to be at.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/airpods/dev8e8b93d71/web

> to be inside or outside their case?  What if they have no charge left?

May not be able to play a sound.

> What if the person who took my AirPods is using them with an Android
> phone?  Is there any way that the person can prevent the AirPods from
> being found?

Hard to say - your phone still believes it is paired with the AirPod, so
it might be able to get the pod to play a sound.

> I assume that AirPods Pro do not work like AirTags, and that the
> technology to find them (using 'Find My') is different.

Airpods don't presently have AirTag. It uses Bluetooth for the
"locating" function. Later pods (3rd, pro) can be located more
accurately with the FindMy app (and on later model iPhones).

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase