I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Marvin Minsky

devel / comp.theory / Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.

SubjectAuthor
* Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.DV
`* Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamationJeff Barnett
 `- Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.DV

1
Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.

<8052f0c6-ebbc-4c1b-bf18-ff7095d50fd4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16230&group=comp.theory#16230

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 10:39:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Mon, 31 May 2021 17:39 UTC

Starting tomorrow, I'll be willing to start posting "metaphorical lawsuits" (since I can't get real-world lawyers to help me) on here. I'll present: plaintiff, defendant, real-life US law offense(s) committed (criminal/civil), desired compensation (specific performance, etc.), evidence, rebuttals of possible arguments against me, other arguments, possible questions.

Of course, no one will answer me, so I anticipate that online viewers will judge my metaphorical lawsuits for themselves. Failure to compensate me and/or punish the defendants will likely result in non-illegal reputational/ranking/economic damage to the defendant(s).

I got this idea from a signal outside.

Re: Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.

<s939qt$2jk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16238&group=comp.theory#16238

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation
allowed.
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 12:27:38 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 31 May 2021 18:27 UTC

On 5/31/2021 11:39 AM, DV wrote:

> Starting tomorrow, I'll be willing to start posting "metaphorical lawsuits" (since I can't get real-world lawyers to help me) on here. I'll present: plaintiff, defendant, real-life US law offense(s) committed (criminal/civil), desired compensation (specific performance, etc.), evidence, rebuttals of possible arguments against me, other arguments, possible questions.
>
> Of course, no one will answer me, so I anticipate that online viewers will judge my metaphorical lawsuits for themselves. Failure to compensate me and/or punish the defendants will likely result in non-illegal reputational/ranking/economic damage to the defendant(s).
>
> I got this idea from a signal outside.
A possible source of legal precedents and actual cases is some of the AI
documents published by RAND in the 1960s and 1970s. And perhaps later.
That is the think tank RAND, not Sperry Rand. They are in Santa Monica
California and you could call them and ask to talk to their librarian
for internally generated documents. No guarantee that you'll make it by
whoever answers your call initially.

I remember one case that involved the use of a ladder on a farm. The
farmer used it to reach a high place on a barn wall but the ladder
wasn't quite tall enough so he used a froze block of manure (it was a
cold winter's day) under the ladder. The sun partially melted the manure
then the ladder tilted slightly and unexpectedly. Farmer down and
injured! Latter he sued and won some his case. One of the papers from
the cited source explained this case and how a legal reasoning system
could understand it well enough to use as a precedent in other cases.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.

<883be530-01cc-4802-82ef-d6850fa17a92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16245&group=comp.theory#16245

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 13:34:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Mon, 31 May 2021 20:34 UTC

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 2:27:43 PM UTC-4, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 5/31/2021 11:39 AM, DV wrote:
> >
> > Starting tomorrow, I'll be willing to start posting "metaphorical lawsuits" (since I can't get real-world lawyers to help me) on here. I'll present: plaintiff, defendant, real-life US law offense(s) committed (criminal/civil), desired compensation (specific performance, etc.), evidence, rebuttals of possible arguments against me, other arguments, possible questions.
> >
> > Of course, no one will answer me, so I anticipate that online viewers will judge my metaphorical lawsuits for themselves. Failure to compensate me and/or punish the defendants will likely result in non-illegal reputational/ranking/economic damage to the defendant(s).
> >
> > I got this idea from a signal outside.
> A possible source of legal precedents and actual cases is some of the AI
> documents published by RAND in the 1960s and 1970s. And perhaps later.
> That is the think tank RAND, not Sperry Rand. They are in Santa Monica
> California and you could call them and ask to talk to their librarian
> for internally generated documents. No guarantee that you'll make it by
> whoever answers your call initially.
>
> I remember one case that involved the use of a ladder on a farm. The
> farmer used it to reach a high place on a barn wall but the ladder
> wasn't quite tall enough so he used a froze block of manure (it was a
> cold winter's day) under the ladder. The sun partially melted the manure
> then the ladder tilted slightly and unexpectedly. Farmer down and
> injured! Latter he sued and won some his case. One of the papers from
> the cited source explained this case and how a legal reasoning system
> could understand it well enough to use as a precedent in other cases.
> --
> Jeff Barnett

Ah, interesting that you should mention that...I don't see what AI and law have to do with each other here, but the comparison reminds me of a conversation I had a little while ago.

I'm not going to try to get a law degree. The idea is to point out significant weaknesses in enforceability of US law (e.g., if criminal stalking complaints or 4th amendment violations can't be sued over or reported to law enforcement with good outcomes). The thing to watch is, if legitimate reputational damage is not done to a criticized entity based on even a 100% truthful and evidence-based metaphorical lawsuit, then clearly journalists and others could at least take note of the fact that what might be termed "the enforceability potential quotient" of a certain law has fallen to be quite low. Such information could be useful to lawyers, ethical lawmakers somewhere, and the general public. There would probably be some good business opportunities related to raising such quotients.

Thanks for writing to me.

-Philip

devel / comp.theory / Accepted: Online metaphorical lawsuit system, with no defamation allowed.