The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us will go to the stars.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox for Android vs. desktop?Yousuf Khan
+* Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?AJL
|`* Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?AJL
| `* Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?Yousuf Khan
|  `- Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?AJL
`* Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?Andy Burns
 `- Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?Yousuf Khan

1
Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

<xtidnSeo8s_aWDP9nZ2dnUU7-WmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16262&group=comp.mobile.android#16262

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com (Yousuf Khan)
Subject: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 18:01:45 -0400
 by: Yousuf Khan - Wed, 26 May 2021 22:01 UTC

It seems that the Firefox in Android is only lightly related to the
desktop version. Add-ons don't work between them, syncing is crazy slow.
And the desktop bookmarks are an afterthought on the mobile version. Is
there a version of Firefox more closely related to the desktop version?

Yousuf Khan

Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

<s8mjov$n96$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16263&group=comp.mobile.android#16263

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 15:57:38 -0700
 by: AJL - Wed, 26 May 2021 22:57 UTC

On 5/26/2021 3:01 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> It seems that the Firefox in Android is only lightly related to the
> desktop version Add-ons don't work between them,

True. But there's 17 Android Firefox add-ons (on my phone) to choose
from. Depending on what you want you may be able to find something that
will work just as well for you. If not there's lots more browsers out there.

> syncing is crazy slow.

When I sign on with a newly installed Android Firefox browser it usually
has my account synced by the time I'm done messing with the new settings.

> And the desktop bookmarks are an afterthought on the mobile version.

You can make the same bookmarks in the mobile version as the desktop
version if you wish. It's just a PITA to have to manually redo them.

> there a [Android] version of Firefox more closely related to the
> desktop version?

Not that I'm aware of.

Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

<s8n624$r3d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16268&group=comp.mobile.android#16268

From: "noem...@none.com" (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 04:09:41 +0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Thu, 27 May 2021 04:09 UTC

On 5/26/21 3:57 PM, AJL wrote:
>On 5/26/2021 3:01 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> It seems that the Firefox in Android is only lightly related to the
>> desktop version Add-ons don't work between them,
>
>True. But there's 17 Android Firefox add-ons (on my phone) to choose
>from. Depending on what you want you may be able to find something that
>will work just as well for you. If not there's lots more browsers out there.
>
>> syncing is crazy slow.
>
>When I sign on with a newly installed Android Firefox browser it usually
>has my account synced by the time I'm done messing with the new settings.
>
>> And the desktop bookmarks are an afterthought on the mobile version.
>
>You can make the same bookmarks in the mobile version as the desktop
>version if you wish. It's just a PITA to have to manually redo them.

Turns out I lied. Desktop Firefox DOES sync its bookmarks to Android
Firefox. For a test I downloaded the Android Firefox app to this Chromebook
and signed in. All my desktop bookmarks WERE synced. Turns out Firefox
keeps them in three places and I was looking in the wrong place. My
apologies to you and Firefox.

Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

<ih8tmtFekcgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16272&group=comp.mobile.android#16272

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 07:48:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 27 May 2021 06:48 UTC

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> It seems that the Firefox in Android is only lightly related to the
> desktop version. Add-ons don't work between them

Or rather, add-ons that are not "blessed" by mozilla can only be
installed in nightly android versions of firefox.

Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

<GKWdnfeKlNfDSS39nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16301&group=comp.mobile.android#16301

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com (Yousuf Khan)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 07:30:40 -0400
 by: Yousuf Khan - Fri, 28 May 2021 11:30 UTC

On 5/27/2021 12:09 AM, AJL wrote:
> On 5/26/21 3:57 PM, AJL wrote:
>> You can make the same bookmarks in the mobile version as the desktop
>> version if you wish. It's just a PITA to have to manually redo them.
>
> Turns out I lied. Desktop Firefox DOES sync its bookmarks to Android
> Firefox. For a test I downloaded the Android Firefox app to this Chromebook
> and signed in. All my desktop bookmarks WERE synced. Turns out Firefox
> keeps them in three places and I was looking in the wrong place. My
> apologies to you and Firefox.

Yes, I knew that, the desktop bookmarks do sync up to Android FF, but
it's an afterthought, not really useful. You have to go through several
different levels to get to the desktop bookmarks, and you can't even
search within the bookmarks while you're in there. Android FF has its
own concept of a bookmark which it calls a "Collection". It's Firefox in
name only. I downloaded it and used it on my Android because I was
expecting proper interoperability with Firefox on desktop, but it seems
to be not that product.

Yousuf Khan

Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

<He-dnULCMsCPSC39nZ2dnUU7-YXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16302&group=comp.mobile.android#16302

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com (Yousuf Khan)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 07:33:39 -0400
 by: Yousuf Khan - Fri, 28 May 2021 11:33 UTC

On 5/27/2021 2:48 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> It seems that the Firefox in Android is only lightly related to the
>> desktop version. Add-ons don't work between them
>
> Or rather, add-ons that are not "blessed" by mozilla can only be
> installed in nightly android versions of firefox.

Almost none of the add-ons that exist and are blessed by Mozilla in the
desktop version work with or have versions available for the Android
version. OTH desktop Firefox on Windows, Linux or MacOS are probably 99%
compatible. Android FF is so different that it might as well have been
developed by a separate company.

Yousuf Khan

Re: Firefox for Android vs. desktop?

<s8r7ia$1orn$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16305&group=comp.mobile.android#16305

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 09:59:56 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 28 May 2021 16:59 UTC

On 5/28/2021 4:30 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 12:09 AM, AJL wrote:

>> Desktop Firefox syncs its bookmarks to Android Firefox.

> Yes, I knew that, the desktop bookmarks do sync up to Android FF,
> but it's an afterthought, not really useful.

Still useful to me not to have to manually redo my bookmarks on every
new Firefox installation.

> You have to go through several different levels to get to the
> desktop bookmarks,

I just tried it. 3 taps to get to Desktop Bookmarks. Hamburger
icon>Bookmarks>Desktop Bookmarks.

> and you can't even search within the bookmarks while you're in
> there.

Can you search bookmarks in any mobile browser?

> Android FF has its own concept of a bookmark which it calls a
> "Collection". It's Firefox in name only.

Never tried Collection.