That's one small step for a man; one giant leap for mankind. -- Neil Armstrong

computers / comp.os.vms / You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

SubjectAuthor
* You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.David Sweeney
+* Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Arne Vajhøj
|`- Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.David Sweeney
+* Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Simon Clubley
|+* Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.abrsvc
||+- Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Simon Clubley
||`- Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Dave Froble
|`* Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Arne Vajhøj
| `* Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Dave Froble
|  +* Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Arne Vajhøj
|  |+- Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Simon Clubley
|  |`- Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Chris Townley
|  `- Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Simon Clubley
`* Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.plugh
 `- Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.Robert A. Brooks

1
You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<339cac6c-b9a9-4f60-ac13-5232b19307d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16263&group=comp.os.vms#16263

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 07:04:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.
From: dsweeney...@gmail.com (David Sweeney)
 by: David Sweeney - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 14:04 UTC

VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.

If you have already joined the forum, thank you.

Best Regards
Dave Sweeney
VMS Software, Inc.
800 District Ave.
Burlington, MA 01803

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejgd7$162k$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16265&group=comp.os.vms#16265

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 10:19:16 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 14:19 UTC

On 8/6/2021 10:04 AM, David Sweeney wrote:
> VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate
> in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally
> VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best
> place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start
> topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum.
> VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and
> expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.

And just to confirm: you are "Chief Customer Advocate" at VSI?

> If you have already joined the forum, thank you.

Some of us have.

:-)

Arne

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<2f6c09d9-91f4-43c7-9e10-8e88657cfb04n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16266&group=comp.os.vms#16266

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 07:47:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsweeney...@gmail.com (David Sweeney)
 by: David Sweeney - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 14:47 UTC

On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 10:19:21 AM UTC-4, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 8/6/2021 10:04 AM, David Sweeney wrote:
> > VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate
> > in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally
> > VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best
> > place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start
> > topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum.
> > VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and
> > expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.
> And just to confirm: you are "Chief Customer Advocate" at VSI?
> > If you have already joined the forum, thank you.
> Some of us have.
>
> :-)
>
> Arne

Hello Arne,

Confimed.

Dave Sweeney
Chief Customer Advocate
800 District Ave Suite 530, Burlington, MA 01803
vmssoftware.com

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejqgo$k2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16271&group=comp.os.vms#16271

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:11:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:11 UTC

On 2021-08-06, David Sweeney <dsweeneypelham@gmail.com> wrote:
> VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.

What is to stop VSI from censoring or shadow banning someone who
raises uncomfortable truths or starts asking awkward questions
that VSI would rather not be asked ?

A more general problem is that if VSI goes bust in a few years,
all the knowledge contributed to the VSI forum is likely to be lost.

If that knowledge is in comp.os.vms, it will remain available for
anyone to find, even if VSI goes bust and the VSI forum disappears.

Simon.

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<10cf79aa-ad14-428b-b31b-c8c5bcc4bbdbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16272&group=comp.os.vms#16272

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 10:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: dansabrs...@yahoo.com (abrsvc)
 by: abrsvc - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:17 UTC

On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 1:11:55 PM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2021-08-06, David Sweeney <dsweene...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.
> >
> What is to stop VSI from censoring or shadow banning someone who
> raises uncomfortable truths or starts asking awkward questions
> that VSI would rather not be asked ?
>
> A more general problem is that if VSI goes bust in a few years,
> all the knowledge contributed to the VSI forum is likely to be lost.
>
> If that knowledge is in comp.os.vms, it will remain available for
> anyone to find, even if VSI goes bust and the VSI forum disappears.
>
> Simon.
>
> --
> Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
> Walking destinations on a map are further away than they appear.
Why do you always predict the demise of VSI? Here they try to let people know where they will likely see topics more quickly so that they can respond and you make it a negative. I look at the forum as yet another pathway to solutions and additional knowledge. Will I rely strictly on that forum, no. Would anyone else? I doubt it.

Still overall, I find it a good thing. I would rather contribute to make it more usable for others and perhaps to make some people aware of VSI on a more frequent basis. The more use, the more OpenVMS gets into conversations, the more likely it is to remain.

I would rather take a positive viewpoint than to continually focus on possible negatives. Ever hear of the self-fulfilling proficy?

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejr98$nk9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16273&group=comp.os.vms#16273

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 13:24:53 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:24 UTC

On 8/6/2021 1:11 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2021-08-06, David Sweeney <dsweeneypelham@gmail.com> wrote:
>> VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also
>> participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com.
>> While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the
>> VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You
>> are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most
>> important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you
>> sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to
>> the global OpenVMS community.
>
> What is to stop VSI from censoring or shadow banning someone who
> raises uncomfortable truths or starts asking awkward questions that
> VSI would rather not be asked ?

You could give it a try.

:-)

> A more general problem is that if VSI goes bust in a few years, all
> the knowledge contributed to the VSI forum is likely to be lost.
>
> If that knowledge is in comp.os.vms, it will remain available for
> anyone to find, even if VSI goes bust and the VSI forum disappears.

We all hope that VSI will be around for decades to come.

:-)

But even if not then I do not see the problem.

The suggestion came up an a thread about VSI leadership
and VSI license policy.

We have been told that VSI will be more likely
to notice comments if posted to VSI forum,

That seems very plausible.

The forum would probably go away if VSI went
away.

But what would be the loss if comments
about VSI leadership and VSI license policy
got lost if VSI did not exist any more??

If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
to share then you could justify publishing it
another place than VSI forum.

But for VSI related stuff not so much.

Arne

PS: you can always post the same stuff both places
if you so prefer.

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejrh0$k2e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16275&group=comp.os.vms#16275

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:29:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:29 UTC

On 2021-08-06, abrsvc <dansabrservices@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Why do you always predict the demise of VSI? Here they try to let people know where they will likely see topics more quickly so that they can respond and you make it a negative. I look at the forum as yet another pathway to solutions and additional knowledge. Will I rely strictly on that forum, no. Would anyone else? I doubt it.

I am not predicting the demise of VSI. I discuss the implications of
what would happen _if_ VSI did go bust.

I also guarantee you that many of the managers of the people here are
also asking the same thing (at least if they are doing their jobs).

> Still overall, I find it a good thing. I would rather contribute to make it more usable for others and perhaps to make some people aware of VSI on a more frequent basis. The more use, the more OpenVMS gets into conversations, the more likely it is to remain.
>
> I would rather take a positive viewpoint than to continually focus on possible negatives. Ever hear of the self-fulfilling proficy?

Ever hear about the extremely negatively received changes to licencing
that VSI have made ? The ones that have the potential to affect the
future of VSI if they drive enough people away ?

Simon.

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejs4n$1af$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16276&group=comp.os.vms#16276

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 13:39:49 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:39 UTC

On 8/6/2021 1:17 PM, abrsvc wrote:
> On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 1:11:55 PM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2021-08-06, David Sweeney <dsweene...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.
>>>
>> What is to stop VSI from censoring or shadow banning someone who
>> raises uncomfortable truths or starts asking awkward questions
>> that VSI would rather not be asked ?
>>
>> A more general problem is that if VSI goes bust in a few years,
>> all the knowledge contributed to the VSI forum is likely to be lost.
>>
>> If that knowledge is in comp.os.vms, it will remain available for
>> anyone to find, even if VSI goes bust and the VSI forum disappears.
>>
>> Simon.
>>
>> --
>> Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
>> Walking destinations on a map are further away than they appear.
> Why do you always predict the demise of VSI? Here they try to let people know where they will likely see topics more quickly so that they can respond and you make it a negative. I look at the forum as yet another pathway to solutions and additional knowledge. Will I rely strictly on that forum, no. Would anyone else? I doubt it.
>
> Still overall, I find it a good thing. I would rather contribute to make it more usable for others and perhaps to make some people aware of VSI on a more frequent basis. The more use, the more OpenVMS gets into conversations, the more likely it is to remain.
>
> I would rather take a positive viewpoint than to continually focus on possible negatives. Ever hear of the self-fulfilling proficy?

Yeah, I agree. The negativity is getting boring. Consider the
question, would it be better if VSI did not set up the forum, or better
that they have done so?

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejs99$1af$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16277&group=comp.os.vms#16277

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 13:42:16 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:42 UTC

On 8/6/2021 1:24 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
> to share then you could justify publishing it
> another place than VSI forum.

Are you implying that only C code can be brilliant?

I protest strongly ...

:-)

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejsss$1bre$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16280&group=comp.os.vms#16280

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 13:52:25 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:52 UTC

On 8/6/2021 1:42 PM, Dave Froble wrote:
> On 8/6/2021 1:24 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
>> to share then you could justify publishing it
>> another place than VSI forum.
>
> Are you implying that only C code can be brilliant?

Very far from.

But Simon mostly talk about C and Pillar.

> I protest strongly ...
>
> :-)

:-)

Arne

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejt3o$7s1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16282&group=comp.os.vms#16282

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:56:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:56 UTC

On 2021-08-06, Dave Froble <davef@tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/2021 1:24 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>
>> If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
>> to share then you could justify publishing it
>> another place than VSI forum.
>
> Are you implying that only C code can be brilliant?
>
> I protest strongly ...
>
>:-)

Well, you can produce good stuff in the Wirth languages as well. :-)

$ set response/mode=really_good_natured

OTOH, there are training languages such as Basic (the B in Basic
stands for Beginner's) that people can get started with before moving
on to the serious languages. :-)

Simon.

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sejufq$7s1$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16285&group=comp.os.vms#16285

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 18:19:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 18:19 UTC

On 2021-08-06, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> On 8/6/2021 1:42 PM, Dave Froble wrote:
>> On 8/6/2021 1:24 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>> If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
>>> to share then you could justify publishing it
>>> another place than VSI forum.
>>
>> Are you implying that only C code can be brilliant?
>
> Very far from.
>
> But Simon mostly talk about C and Pillar.

And Ada. :-)

Simon.

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<sek233$h05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16287&group=comp.os.vms#16287

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 20:21:04 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 19:21 UTC

On 06/08/2021 18:52, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> But Simon mostly talk about C and Pillar.

He is of course a Pillar of the VMS world

;)

--
Chris

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<77d56ae9-e149-4e37-ae11-b71482004c1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16378&group=comp.os.vms#16378

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 07:47:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: jchim...@gmail.com (plugh)
 by: plugh - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:47 UTC

On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 7:04:26 AM UTC-7, dsweene...@gmail.com wrote:
> VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com.

Am I the only one who wishes this was a Notes-driven forum? php 6? phpbb? Really? Not that I don't enjoy phpbb. I think I have a 20 year old copy floating around somewhere...
TPU talking to webasm might be an interesting demonstration project.

Re: You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.

<serlns$8cm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16387&group=comp.os.vms#16387

From: FIRST.L...@vmssoftware.com (Robert A. Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:39:24 -0400
 by: Robert A. Brooks - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 16:39 UTC

On 8/9/2021 10:47 AM, plugh wrote:
> On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 7:04:26 AM UTC-7, dsweene...@gmail.com wrote:
>> VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com.
>
> Am I the only one who wishes this was a Notes-driven forum?

https://eisner.decus.org/

Still alive and kicking after 33+ years.

Does not see as much traffic as decades ago, but it still uses NOTES.

--
-- Rob