Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: WiFi resurrection
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:31:48 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:31 UTC

Well - not quite.

The iMac (2012) WiFi is indeed dead.

However, Amazon just delivered a TP-Link AC600 / Archer T2U Nano UBS
widget that with a little install and re-boot has restored WiFi to my
iMac. (CAD$15+taxes).

Good speed (as good as before) on Speedtest (220Mb/s).

Indeed - this posting flowed through it to your screen...

However: AirDrop still does not work as it appears to setup its own
interface and Mac OS doesn't recognize that for the purpose of AirDrop
(which IIRC in cases like AirDrop uses WiFi but not conventionally).

So - need to think about returning it as it doesn't restore that
functionality.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: WiFi resurrection

<KBNHM.690045$SuUf.278804@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16276&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16276

Subject: Re: WiFi resurrection
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 16:26:18 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 20:26 UTC

On 2023-08-30 15:31, Alan Browne wrote:

> Well - not quite.
>
> The iMac (2012) WiFi is indeed dead.
>
> However, Amazon just delivered a TP-Link AC600 / Archer T2U Nano UBS
> widget that with a little install and re-boot has restored WiFi to my
> iMac.  (CAD$15+taxes).
>
> Good speed (as good as before) on Speedtest (220Mb/s).
>
> Indeed - this posting flowed through it to your screen...
>
> However:  AirDrop still does not work as it appears to setup its own
> interface and Mac OS doesn't recognize that for the purpose of AirDrop
> (which IIRC in cases like AirDrop uses WiFi but not conventionally).
>
> So - need to think about returning it as it doesn't restore that
> functionality.

Stopped thinking about - sending it back.