We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers.

computers / comp.sys.tandem / Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

SubjectAuthor
* PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from Curos kusar
+* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CKeith Dick
|`- Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CRandall
+* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CBill Honaker
|`* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CKeith Dick
| `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from Curos kusar
|  +* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CKeith Dick
|  |`* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CRandall
|  | `- Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CKeith Dick
|  `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CBill Honaker
|   `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CDave Bossi
|    `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from Curos kusar
|     `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from Curos kusar
|      +* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CKeith Dick
|      |`- Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CRandall
|      `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CJShepherd
|       `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from Curos kusar
|        `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CJShepherd
|         `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CKeith Dick
|          `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CBill Honaker
|           `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CRandall
|            `* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CBill Honaker
|             `- Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from Curos kusar
`* Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from Cgcav
 `- Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from CGustavo Martinez

1
PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<5be026f4-cadf-46c5-b40d-8d16f689cdc4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=158&group=comp.sys.tandem#158

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 00:06:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C
From: uros.ku...@gmail.com (uros kusar)
 by: uros kusar - Fri, 28 May 2021 07:06 UTC

Hi,
I'm writing C program that would get the status of the xpnet objects (stations,processes,node...). I'm using procedures described in the HP manuals(Pathsend and Server programming Manual, C/C++ programmer's Guide...) but I can't get anyting from Pathway except errors. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?

This is the code that I'm working on:
include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <cextdecs (SERVERCLASS_SEND_, SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_)> nolist
#include <tal.h>

main()
{ short error, error2,pserror, fserror,countread;
char *pmon;
char *buffer;
char *sname;

pmon ="$D1MN";
sname = "SERVER-NCPI-1A";
buffer ="STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1";

error = SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (pmon,
(short) strlen(pmon), /* pathmon */
sname,
(short) strlen(sname), /* server class */
buffer,
(short) strlen(buffer),
200,
&countread,
-1); /* timeout = forever */

if (error != 0)
{
error2 = SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_ (&pserror, &fserror);
printf ("\nSERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = %d, pathsend error = %d, fs error = %d\n", error, pserror, fserror);
exit (1);
}
else
{
buffer [countread] = 0;
printf ("\nReply = %s\n", buffer);
}
} ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response:
SERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = 233, pathsend error = 904, fs error = 12

Best Regards,
Uros

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<e466d977-ef3f-40b8-a7cd-dcfc802990ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=159&group=comp.sys.tandem#159

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 10:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C
From: rkd...@gmail.com (Keith Dick)
 by: Keith Dick - Fri, 28 May 2021 17:08 UTC

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:06:19 AM UTC-7, uros kusar wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm writing C program that would get the status of the xpnet objects (stations,processes,node...). I'm using procedures described in the HP manuals(Pathsend and Server programming Manual, C/C++ programmer's Guide...) but I can't get anyting from Pathway except errors. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?
>
> This is the code that I'm working on:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> include <stdlib.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <cextdecs (SERVERCLASS_SEND_, SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_)> nolist
> #include <tal.h>
>
> main()
> {
> short error, error2,pserror, fserror,countread;
> char *pmon;
> char *buffer;
> char *sname;
>
> pmon ="$D1MN";
> sname = "SERVER-NCPI-1A";
> buffer ="STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1";
>
> error = SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (pmon,
> (short) strlen(pmon), /* pathmon */
> sname,
> (short) strlen(sname), /* server class */
> buffer,
> (short) strlen(buffer),
> 200,
> &countread,
> -1); /* timeout = forever */
>
> if (error != 0)
> {
> error2 = SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_ (&pserror, &fserror);
> printf ("\nSERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = %d, pathsend error = %d, fs error = %d\n", error, pserror, fserror);
> exit (1);
> }
> else
> {
> buffer [countread] = 0;
> printf ("\nReply = %s\n", buffer);
> }
> }
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Response:
> SERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = 233, pathsend error = 904, fs error = 12
>
> Best Regards,
> Uros

I see two coding errors in the program you included, but I cannot say whether either of them explains why the program is not working.

One coding error is that you do not check the error return from SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_. If something was wrong with that call to SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_, the values you are displaying for pathsend error and fs error might not be true, thereby misleading you about what went wrong with the SERVERCLASS_SEND_ call.

Assuming that nothing went wrong in the SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_ call, the errors were 904 and 12. The 904 says that there was an error when making the link to the server. Filesystem error 12 is the generic 'file in use' error when returned from an open of a disk file, but I'm not sure how to interpret it for a failure of a link request. If we dug into the description of link management, maybe there would be a description of what error 12 means in that context, but I did not take the time to do that right now.

The other coding error is in the SERVERCLASS_SEND_ call. I am not sure it is the cause of the SERVERCLASS_SEND_ failure, but the first thing I would do is fix it and see whether that changes how the program works.

The problem is that the SERVERCLASS_SEND_ call says that the buffer argument can accept a reply of 200 characters, but that is not how you declared buffer. You declared buffer to be a char*, then initialized it to point to the string constant

"STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1"

SERVERCLASS_SEND_ puts the reply into the same buffer from which it took the outgoing message. So in your program, if it actually got a reply, it would try to store it into the memory where "STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1" is. At the very least, that will destroy the supposedly constant value of that string. It might not be able to write into that storage if the compiler sets up string constants in a read-only memory segment. If the compiler sets up the string constant in a writable memory segment, storing the reply there could overwrite whatever data is stored following that string constant, since it is nowhere near 200 bytes long.

So change your program to declare buffer to be a 200-byte array, and put the string constant into it using strcpy(). Then see whether you get a more sensible result. If you still get an error, post again and we can dig into how filesystem error 12 on a link request is supposed to be interpreted.

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<1a672766-ed9a-46b3-b198-d8dc506fc9cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=160&group=comp.sys.tandem#160

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 11:51:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: rsbec...@nexbridge.com (Randall)
 by: Randall - Fri, 28 May 2021 18:51 UTC

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 1:08:21 p.m. UTC-4, rkd...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> So change your program to declare buffer to be a 200-byte array, and put the string constant into it using strcpy(). Then see whether you get a more sensible result. If you still get an error, post again and we can dig into how filesystem error 12 on a link request is supposed to be interpreted.

That's a really good catch. This is a very common coding error. The buffer used for SERVERCLASS_SEND_ also cannot be used for any other purpose while the message is being processed (same applies to WRITEREAD[XL]. It is, essentially locked, although that is not enforced by the CRE. There was a SETMODE for IPC communication but that significantly slows down your application and can eat up PFS space. Protecting buffer space during IPC operations is really important as a design consideration, particularly with IPC being implemented using DMA. A little known thing is that this can also apply to some esoteric threaded PUT socket operations. Buffer protection is critical for very high performance applications (as people who have seen the jelly bean challenge will remember - can't give more details).

An error 12 is usually returned by the server based on the number of opens/LINKDEPTH. If your server is coded to accept only one open, then you can encounter this. Check your XPNet configuration - it may be limiting opens in this situation.

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<b0i2bg1gapv2mahulce8cab2qdlcrpht0c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=161&group=comp.sys.tandem#161

From: no_spam_...@x_i_d.com (Bill Honaker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 14:48:59 -0500
 by: Bill Honaker - Fri, 28 May 2021 19:48 UTC

On Fri, 28 May 2021 00:06:17 -0700 (PDT), uros kusar <uros.kusar@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm writing C program that would get the status of the xpnet objects (stations,processes,node...). I'm using procedures described in the HP manuals(Pathsend and Server programming Manual, C/C++ programmer's Guide...) but I can't get anyting from Pathway except errors. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?
>
>This is the code that I'm working on:
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>include <stdlib.h>
>#include <stdio.h>
>#include <string.h>
>#include <cextdecs (SERVERCLASS_SEND_, SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_)> nolist
>#include <tal.h>
>
>main()
>{
>short error, error2,pserror, fserror,countread;
>char *pmon;
>char *buffer;
>char *sname;
>
>pmon ="$D1MN";
>sname = "SERVER-NCPI-1A";
>buffer ="STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1";
>
>error = SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (pmon,
> (short) strlen(pmon), /* pathmon */
> sname,
> (short) strlen(sname), /* server class */
> buffer,
> (short) strlen(buffer),
> 200,
> &countread,
> -1); /* timeout = forever */
>
>if (error != 0)
> {
> error2 = SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_ (&pserror, &fserror);
> printf ("\nSERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = %d, pathsend error = %d, fs error = %d\n", error, pserror, fserror);
> exit (1);
> }
>else
> {
> buffer [countread] = 0;
> printf ("\nReply = %s\n", buffer);
> }
>}
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Response:
>SERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = 233, pathsend error = 904, fs error = 12
>
>Best Regards,
>Uros

Uros,

Keith and Randall gave very valuable responses.

Also one other possibility is that, in creating the link, the PATHMON tried to start a server process.
If that server process has a fixed PROCESS NAME for each isntance, and if there is already a running process with that name,
the attempt to start the process would get an error 12. Look at the info ("PATHCOM $D1MN;INFO SERVER-NCPI-1A") and
check what is in the "PROCESS". If it's present, there will either be one process name, or a list in paraentheses.
From a TACL prompt, issue a status command for each process in the list.

Bill

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<94ebc487-3d70-4424-a339-5dfc7604a0a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=162&group=comp.sys.tandem#162

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 13:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: rkd...@gmail.com (Keith Dick)
 by: Keith Dick - Fri, 28 May 2021 20:22 UTC

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:49:03 PM UTC-7, Bill Honaker wrote:
> [...]
> >}
> >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >Response:
> >SERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = 233, pathsend error = 904, fs error = 12
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >Uros
> Uros,
>
> Keith and Randall gave very valuable responses.
>
> Also one other possibility is that, in creating the link, the PATHMON tried to start a server process.
> If that server process has a fixed PROCESS NAME for each isntance, and if there is already a running process with that name,
> the attempt to start the process would get an error 12. Look at the info ("PATHCOM $D1MN;INFO SERVER-NCPI-1A") and
> check what is in the "PROCESS". If it's present, there will either be one process name, or a list in paraentheses.

Bill,

Very good remembering that filesystem error 12 is used for attempting to start a process with a name that already exists. I should have remembered that myself. Unless Pathway's link management also uses filesystem error 12 for other problems, I'd say a duplicate process name is likely to be the explanation for this problem. Perhaps Uros has set up a test environment by duplicating the configuration of an existing environment and did not know to change the configured fixed server process names.

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<828d83e3-fdd2-4095-9641-ebdbfe13999an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=163&group=comp.sys.tandem#163

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 04:07:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: uros.ku...@gmail.com (uros kusar)
 by: uros kusar - Mon, 31 May 2021 11:07 UTC

petek, 28. maj 2021 ob 22:22:59 UTC+2 je oseba rkd...@gmail.com napisala:
> [...]
> > check what is in the "PROCESS". If it's present, there will either be one process name, or a list in paraentheses.
> > From a TACL prompt, issue a status command for each process in the list..
> >
> > Bill
> Bill,
>
> Very good remembering that filesystem error 12 is used for attempting to start a process with a name that already exists. I should have remembered that myself. Unless Pathway's link management also uses filesystem error 12 for other problems, I'd say a duplicate process name is likely to be the explanation for this problem. Perhaps Uros has set up a test environment by duplicating the configuration of an existing environment and did not know to change the configured fixed server process names.

Thank you all for your help.

I changed the code:
1) I added SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO output error number to see if command was succsesfully processed.
2) I changed the buffer to a 200-byte array.
3) I find some tal example of a similar program and I noticed that this tal program, sends the command to a different pathway server. I send it to the SERVER-NCPI-1A server, which is a server for P1A^NODE. But the tal program sends the command to the server SERVER-NCP, which sees all "node" servers.

It is interesting because if I send a command to SERVER-NCP I get a different error code.
SERVER-NCP:
SERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = 233, pathsend error = 904, fs error = 21

SERVER-NCP-1A:
SERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = 233, pathsend error = 904, fs error = 12

I think that the correct server is a SERVER-NCP.

Pahway server configuration:
MAXLINKMONS 20 [CURRENTLY 2]

SERVER SERVER-NCPI-1A
LINKDEPTH 1
MAXLINKS 32
MAXSERVERS 3
PROCESS $D1AU (ASSOCIATIVE ON)

SERVER SERVER-NCP
LINKDEPTH 32
MAXLINKS 32
MAXSERVERS 3
PROCESS $D1C1
PROCESS $D1C2
PROCESS $D1C3
code:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <tal.h>
#include <cextdecs (SERVERCLASS_SEND_, SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_)> nolist
main()
{ short error, error2, pserror, fserror,countread;
char *pmon;
char buffer [200]={0};
char *sname;

pmon ="$D1MN";
sname = "SERVER-NCP";
strcpy(buffer,"STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1");
error = SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (pmon,
(short)strlen(pmon), /* pathmon */
sname,
(short)strlen(sname), /* server class */
buffer,
(short)strlen(buffer),
200,
&countread,
-1); /* timeout = forever */
if (error != 0)
{
error2 = SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_ (&pserror, &fserror);
printf("\nSERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO error = %d \nSERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = %d, pathsend error = %d, fs error = %d\n",error2, error, pserror, fserror);
printf("\nBuffer size = %d\n", strlen(buffer));

int i;
for(i=0; i<strlen(buffer); i++)
{
printf("%c",buffer[i]);
}
printf("\n\n\n");
exit (1);
}
else
{
buffer [countread] = 0;
printf ("\nReply = %s\n", buffer);
}
}

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<eb9b8c4a-8083-431f-8a50-953b928db360n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=164&group=comp.sys.tandem#164

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 06:57:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: rkd...@gmail.com (Keith Dick)
 by: Keith Dick - Mon, 31 May 2021 13:57 UTC

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:07:06 AM UTC-7, uros kusar wrote:
> [...]
> char buffer [200]={0};
> char *sname;
>
> pmon ="$D1MN";
> sname = "SERVER-NCP";
> strcpy(buffer,"STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1");
>
> error = SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (pmon,
> (short)strlen(pmon), /* pathmon */
> sname,
> (short)strlen(sname), /* server class */
> buffer,
> (short)strlen(buffer),
> 200,
> &countread,
> -1); /* timeout = forever */
> if (error != 0)
> {
> error2 = SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_ (&pserror, &fserror);
> printf("\nSERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO error = %d \nSERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = %d, pathsend error = %d, fs error = %d\n",error2, error, pserror, fserror);
> printf("\nBuffer size = %d\n", strlen(buffer));

Filesystem error 21 usually means an illegal count was specified. That might mean that either the length of the buffer you are sending is wrong or the maximum reply size (200 in this case) is wrong. It might mean something else, since I don't know anything about XPNET.

Pathway servers usually take input as data structures with fixed-length fields, not a text string like you would type to a command interpreter. Are you sure that the server you are sending to is expected a text string as its input? Do you have any documentation of what this server's interface is?

I notice that, although you show a new program that displays the value of error2, the output that you show does not include the line that would show the value of error2. Did you omit showing it because its value was 0, or are you showing output from a different version of your program?

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<ea5ae019-55da-45a7-9e84-073f11f65915n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=165&group=comp.sys.tandem#165

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 10:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: rsbec...@nexbridge.com (Randall)
 by: Randall - Mon, 31 May 2021 17:37 UTC

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:57:15 a.m. UTC-4, rkd...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> Filesystem error 21 usually means an illegal count was specified. That might mean that either the length of the buffer you are sending is wrong or the maximum reply size (200 in this case) is wrong. It might mean something else, since I don't know anything about XPNET.
>
> Pathway servers usually take input as data structures with fixed-length fields, not a text string like you would type to a command interpreter. Are you sure that the server you are sending to is expected a text string as its input? Do you have any documentation of what this server's interface is?
>
> I notice that, although you show a new program that displays the value of error2, the output that you show does not include the line that would show the value of error2. Did you omit showing it because its value was 0, or are you showing output from a different version of your program?

I too do not remember much about XPNet, but I thought it was not SERVERCLASS_SEND_ compatible - in particular, does not require a qualified name on the Open, like $XPN.#XPNET?

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<1a7dcef9-8005-486e-88d0-d440c6403019n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=166&group=comp.sys.tandem#166

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 11:27:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: rkd...@gmail.com (Keith Dick)
 by: Keith Dick - Mon, 31 May 2021 18:27 UTC

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:37:22 AM UTC-7, Randall wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Pathway servers usually take input as data structures with fixed-length fields, not a text string like you would type to a command interpreter. Are you sure that the server you are sending to is expected a text string as its input? Do you have any documentation of what this server's interface is?
> >
> > I notice that, although you show a new program that displays the value of error2, the output that you show does not include the line that would show the value of error2. Did you omit showing it because its value was 0, or are you showing output from a different version of your program?
> I too do not remember much about XPNet, but I thought it was not SERVERCLASS_SEND_ compatible - in particular, does not require a qualified name on the Open, like $XPN.#XPNET?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<fvfabghrs9m70j629fs6lsj2df9l8lt7uu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=167&group=comp.sys.tandem#167

From: no_spam_...@x_i_d.com (Bill Honaker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 14:59:27 -0500
 by: Bill Honaker - Mon, 31 May 2021 19:59 UTC

On Mon, 31 May 2021 04:07:05 -0700 (PDT), uros kusar <uros.kusar@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>char buffer [200]={0};
>char *sname;
>
>pmon ="$D1MN";
>sname = "SERVER-NCP";
>strcpy(buffer,"STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1");
>
>error = SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (pmon,
> (short)strlen(pmon), /* pathmon */
> sname,
> (short)strlen(sname), /* server class */
> buffer,
> (short)strlen(buffer),
> 200,
> &countread,
> -1); /* timeout = forever */
>if (error != 0)
> {
> error2 = SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO_ (&pserror, &fserror);
> printf("\nSERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO error = %d \nSERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = %d, pathsend error = %d, fs error = %d\n",error2, error, pserror, fserror);
> printf("\nBuffer size = %d\n", strlen(buffer));

I see the original server was setup with 'Asoociative On' It's possible the open table in the server can't accept another open.

Can't explain the error 21.

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<34f0e5fb-cf04-4b4c-804d-5d9453a8f795n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=168&group=comp.sys.tandem#168

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 05:09:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: dave.bo...@gmail.com (Dave Bossi)
 by: Dave Bossi - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 12:09 UTC

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 3:59:31 PM UTC-4, Bill Honaker wrote:
> [...]
> > printf("\nSERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO error = %d \nSERVERCLASS_SEND_ error = %d, pathsend error = %d, fs error = %d\n",error2, error, pserror, fserror);
> > printf("\nBuffer size = %d\n", strlen(buffer));
> >
> > int i;
> > for(i=0; i<strlen(buffer); i++)
> > {
> > printf("%c",buffer[i]);
> > }
> > printf("\n\n\n");
> > exit (1);
> > }
> >else
> > {
> > buffer [countread] = 0;
> > printf ("\nReply = %s\n", buffer);
> > }
> >}
> I see the original server was setup with 'Asoociative On' It's possible the open table in the server can't accept another open.

I would try changing PMON and SNAME from pointers to arrays and see if it doesn't help with the error 21.

char pmon[] = "$D1NM";
char sname[] = "SERVER-NCP";

Dave

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<5a57cdcd-079b-4b84-80ac-e30337104bc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=169&group=comp.sys.tandem#169

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 01:54:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: uros.ku...@gmail.com (uros kusar)
 by: uros kusar - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 08:54 UTC

<09b4463e-7df3-4a59-a62c-6040a6f29082n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=170&group=comp.sys.tandem#170

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 02:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: uros.ku...@gmail.com (uros kusar)
 by: uros kusar - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 09:42 UTC

<edaec24d-80b6-47d2-9130-a2121cd477dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=171&group=comp.sys.tandem#171

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 05:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: rkd...@gmail.com (Keith Dick)
 by: Keith Dick - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 12:55 UTC

<8eaaa64a-c899-4c81-b8c1-0a87f78be76an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=172&group=comp.sys.tandem#172

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 11:42:13 -0700 (PDT)
References: <5be026f4-cadf-46c5-b40d-8d16f689cdc4n@googlegroups.com> <b0i2bg1gapv2mahulce8cab2qdlcrpht0c@4ax.com> <94ebc487-3d70-4424-a339-5dfc7604a0a5n@googlegroups.com> <828d83e3-fdd2-4095-9641-ebdbfe13999an@googlegroups.com> <fvfabghrs9m70j629fs6lsj2df9l8lt7uu@4ax.com> <34f0e5fb-cf04-4b4c-804d-5d9453a8f795n@googlegroups.com> <5a57cdcd-079b-4b84-80ac-e30337104bc3n@googlegroups.com> <09b4463e-7df3-4a59-a62c-6040a6f29082n@googlegroups.com> <edaec24d-80b6-47d2-9130-a2121cd477dcn@googlegroups.com>
From: rsbec...@nexbridge.com (Randall)
 by: Randall - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 18:42 UTC

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 8:55:13 a.m. UTC-4, rkd...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> Do you have any indication that the Pathway server you are trying to use is intended for a user such as yourself to access directly using SERVERCLASS_SEND_ ? You mentioned that you found a TAL program that sends commands to SERVER-NCP. Where did you find that example program? Perhaps if I looked at that TAL program, it would help me understand what you could be doing wrong.
>
> I have a feeling that you are trying to do something that a user such as you is not intended to do, and that whatever task you are trying to do needs to be approached in some other way. That is only my feeling, based on very little evidence, so don't give up on this program based only on my feeling, because my feeling could be wrong. As I said earlier, I know nothing about xpnet.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<s98kmb$2li$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=173&group=comp.sys.tandem#173

From: inva...@nowhere.com (JShepherd)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 19:03:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: JShepherd - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 19:03 UTC

In article <09b4463e-7df3-4a59-a62c-6040a6f29082n@googlegroups.com>,
uros.kusar@gmail.com says...

> [...]
>> >
>> > char pmon[] =3D "$D1MN";
>> > char sname[] =3D "SERVER-NCP";=20
>> >=20
>> > Dave
>> Hi,=20
>>=20
>> Keith, I don't find anything in the manuals, that would show me what to s=
>end to the server.=20
>>=20
>> I did not post the complete output to make this thread readable as possib=
>le. The SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO returns 0(OK) and I tried different data type=
>s, also arrays instead of pointers. The result is the same. I'm almost sure=
> that I need to send command to the SERVER-NCP server instead the SERVER-NC=
>PI-1A.=20
>>=20
>> Currently I'm using arrays:=20
>>=20
>> char pmon[5]=3D{0};
>> char buffer [200]=3D{0};
>> char sname[20]=3D{0};=20
>>=20
>> strcpy(pmon,"$D1MN");=20
>> strcpy(sname,"SERVER-NCP");
>> strcpy(buffer,"STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1");=20
>>=20
>> error =3D SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (pmon,=20
>> (short)strlen(pmon), /* pathmon */=20
>> sname,=20
>> (short)strlen(sname), /* server class */=20
>> buffer,=20
>> (short)strlen(buffer),=20
>> 200,=20
>> &countread,=20
>> -1); /* timeout =3D forever */
>> OUTPUT:=20
>> SERVERCLASS_SEND_INFO error =3D 0
>> SERVERCLASS_SEND_ error =3D 233, pathsend error =3D 904, fs error =3D 21
>> Buffer size =3D 26=20
>> STATUS PROCESS P1A^BICUNI1=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> EMS messages:=20
>>=20
>> 21-06-02;10:03:23.101 \PERUN.$D1MN TANDEM.PATHWAY.L01 3116=20
>> \PERUN.$D1MN: ERROR - *3116* LINKMON L\PERUN.$ZP01,=20
>> ERROR DURING SERVER I/O (21) - SERVER SERVER-NCP=20
>>=20
>> 21-06-02;10:03:23.102 \PERUN.$D1SUD TANDEM.VHS.L01 6=20
>> DEV1VHS:=20
>> 02JUN21,10:03 $D1MN: ERROR - *3116* LINKMON L\PERUN.$ZP01, ERROR=20
>> DURING SERVER I/O (21) - SERVER SERVER-NCP. Display text received=20
>> from process $D1MN. Program file \PERUN.$SYSTEM.SYSTEM.PATHMON.=20
>> Primary log file \PERUN.$DATA01.DEV1VHS.LOG0000.=20
>>=20
>> I'm losing ideas what else to try.=20
>>=20
>> Uros
>
>I just notice another EMS error in collector $0
>
> 21-06-02;11:39:59.662 \PERUN.$ZL01 TANDEM.APPCLSTR.L01 1038
> WARNING 1038 - Server \PERUN.$D1MN.SERVER-NCP file
> operation ACS_FS_PSWRITEREAD_() failed, process
> \PERUN.$D1C1:115841149, file \PERUN.$D1C1, error 21
>
>Uros

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<74247541-a672-4653-9eae-a3007a8b9b21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=174&group=comp.sys.tandem#174

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:04:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: uros.ku...@gmail.com (uros kusar)
 by: uros kusar - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 13:04 UTC

<s9aqo4$vie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=175&group=comp.sys.tandem#175

From: inva...@nowhere.com (JShepherd)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 14:59:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: JShepherd - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 14:59 UTC

In article <74247541-a672-4653-9eae-a3007a8b9b21n@googlegroups.com>,
uros.kusar@gmail.com says...

> [...]
>> > \PERUN.$D1C1:115841149, file \PERUN.$D1C1, error 21
>> >
>> >Uros
>> Are you sure that server accepts a command line text buffer as input ?
>> Maybe it requires a structured message.
>>

>> =status SERVER-NCPI-1A
>> SERVER-NCPI-1A 1
>>
>> PROCESS STATE ERROR INFO #LINKS WEIGHT
>> $S1AU RUNNING 1 3
>>
>> 10> wake /highpin off/ $s1au
>> WRITE error 21 on $S1AU
>>
>> 11> wake /highpin off/ $s1au send STATUS
>> WRITE error 21 on $S1AU
>

>Hi,
>
>I'm still trying to understand why my code doesn't work. I think that
something
>is wrong with the structures.
>
>This tal program was written by my coworker.
>
>Uros

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<6ea7d7cf-ee30-4a22-ac79-a302d5d84b13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=176&group=comp.sys.tandem#176

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 08:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: rkd...@gmail.com (Keith Dick)
 by: Keith Dick - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:51 UTC

<6d2ibgptd8v3j7ustvje1lnd37aoqjjerf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=177&group=comp.sys.tandem#177

From: no_spam_...@x_i_d.com (Bill Honaker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
References: <828d83e3-fdd2-4095-9641-ebdbfe13999an@googlegroups.com> <fvfabghrs9m70j629fs6lsj2df9l8lt7uu@4ax.com> <34f0e5fb-cf04-4b4c-804d-5d9453a8f795n@googlegroups.com> <5a57cdcd-079b-4b84-80ac-e30337104bc3n@googlegroups.com> <09b4463e-7df3-4a59-a62c-6040a6f29082n@googlegroups.com> <s98kmb$2li$1@dont-email.me> <74247541-a672-4653-9eae-a3007a8b9b21n@googlegroups.com> <s9aqo4$vie$1@dont-email.me> <6ea7d7cf-ee30-4a22-ac79-a302d5d84b13n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 12:00:07 -0500
 by: Bill Honaker - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:00 UTC

>> From that code it looks like you have to correctly populate the
>> request struct and send it
>> struct .ncp^rqst( ncp^lex^struct^def );
>>
>> Then handle the potentially multi-item response coming back
>>
>> int .ncp^resp( ncp^resp^struct^def ),
>>

>> You will need C versions of all those TAL structs or
>> do it in TAL
>
>As JShepherd notes, the TAL code indicates that the request and response messages are not simple text strings, but moderately complex structures. Your coworker had some instructions about how to construct and interpret those structures. If that coworker is still around, ask where he or she got the instructions. If he or she is not still around, you might find some documentation in a file in the subvolume $DATA02.ACIUTILS, or in some other location that contains files from ACI. If you are lucky, ACI provided some documentation and the structure declarations suitable for writing the program in C. If they supplied only help for TAL programmers, you will have a bit of a difficult time if you don't know TAL.

That would explain the 'error 21'.

The server probably uses that error to indicate to the calling program that the message it received isn't correct for the structure (or structures) that it expects to receive.

The line that starts with "?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancptal(" implies that you should find a file called ?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancc that contains the
structures and literals required to build the message in C.

A very high level skim of the code also says you will need to parse the message and calculate pointers to some returned sub-structures, especially if they occur multiple times.

Bill

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<b0e34933-9c2a-4ad7-aa62-f0a5b3041141n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=178&group=comp.sys.tandem#178

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 11:52:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: rsbec...@nexbridge.com (Randall)
 by: Randall - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 18:52 UTC

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:00:09 p.m. UTC-4, Bill Honaker wrote:

> >> From that code it looks like you have to correctly populate the
> >> request struct and send it
> >> struct .ncp^rqst( ncp^lex^struct^def );
> >>
> >> Then handle the potentially multi-item response coming back
> >>
> >> int .ncp^resp( ncp^resp^struct^def ),
> >>

> >> You will need C versions of all those TAL structs or
> >> do it in TAL
> >
> >As JShepherd notes, the TAL code indicates that the request and response messages are not simple text strings, but moderately complex structures. Your coworker had some instructions about how to construct and interpret those structures. If that coworker is still around, ask where he or she got the instructions. If he or she is not still around, you might find some documentation in a file in the subvolume $DATA02.ACIUTILS, or in some other location that contains files from ACI. If you are lucky, ACI provided some documentation and the structure declarations suitable for writing the program in C. If they supplied only help for TAL programmers, you will have a bit of a difficult time if you don't know TAL.
> That would explain the 'error 21'.
>
> The server probably uses that error to indicate to the calling program that the message it received isn't correct for the structure (or structures) that it expects to receive.
>
> The line that starts with "?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancptal(" implies that you should find a file called ?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancc that contains the
> structures and literals required to build the message in C.
>
> A very high level skim of the code also says you will need to parse the message and calculate pointers to some returned sub-structures, especially if they occur multiple times.
>
> Bill

Bill: I'm not sure what the specific server does, but the general IPC protocol for XPNet, particularly station-to-station messaging, is rather complex with optional fields controlled by bitmaps. I think the C coding error above may be part of the problem, though, before anything else happens. I do also think you're correct that the error 21 is coming from the server as a response to an invalid header, probably with a bad length field.

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<l0cibgh6anus5tpvuruan1vb0rqkm12lvl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=179&group=comp.sys.tandem#179

From: no_spam_...@x_i_d.com (Bill Honaker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
References: <34f0e5fb-cf04-4b4c-804d-5d9453a8f795n@googlegroups.com> <5a57cdcd-079b-4b84-80ac-e30337104bc3n@googlegroups.com> <09b4463e-7df3-4a59-a62c-6040a6f29082n@googlegroups.com> <s98kmb$2li$1@dont-email.me> <74247541-a672-4653-9eae-a3007a8b9b21n@googlegroups.com> <s9aqo4$vie$1@dont-email.me> <6ea7d7cf-ee30-4a22-ac79-a302d5d84b13n@googlegroups.com> <6d2ibgptd8v3j7ustvje1lnd37aoqjjerf@4ax.com> <b0e34933-9c2a-4ad7-aa62-f0a5b3041141n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 14:43:12 -0500
 by: Bill Honaker - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 19:43 UTC

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 11:52:45 -0700 (PDT), Randall <rsbecker@nexbridge.com> wrote:

>> >As JShepherd notes, the TAL code indicates that the request and response messages are not simple text strings, but moderately complex structures. Your coworker had some instructions about how to construct and interpret those structures. If that coworker is still around, ask where he or she got the instructions. If he or she is not still around, you might find some documentation in a file in the subvolume $DATA02.ACIUTILS, or in some other location that contains files from ACI. If you are lucky, ACI provided some documentation and the structure declarations suitable for writing the program in C. If they supplied only help for TAL programmers, you will have a bit of a difficult time if you don't know TAL.
>> That would explain the 'error 21'.
>>
>> The server probably uses that error to indicate to the calling program that the message it received isn't correct for the structure (or structures) that it expects to receive.
>>
>> The line that starts with "?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancptal(" implies that you should find a file called ?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancc that contains the
>> structures and literals required to build the message in C.
>>
>> A very high level skim of the code also says you will need to parse the message and calculate pointers to some returned sub-structures, especially if they occur multiple times.
>>
>> Bill
>
>Bill: I'm not sure what the specific server does, but the general IPC protocol for XPNet, particularly station-to-station messaging, is rather complex with optional fields controlled by bitmaps. I think the C coding error above may be part of the problem, though, before anything else happens. I do also think you're correct that the error 21 is coming from the server as a response to an invalid header, probably with a bad length field.

For communications with devices, authorization services etc. XPNet uses ISO messages or X9.15 messages, both of which are character strings including bitmpas '
(1 or 2 for ISO, multi-level of X9.15). Command and Control internal messages use binary structures, often times concatenated based on context (such as number
of stations returned in a status station * command).

One should either review it with another staff member already familiar, attend an ACI course, or be prepared to dig deeply into the manuals.
Bill

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<35952fe0-694a-4d20-a6f9-0457947df69fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=180&group=comp.sys.tandem#180

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 00:24:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: uros.ku...@gmail.com (uros kusar)
 by: uros kusar - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 07:24 UTC

četrtek, 03. junij 2021 ob 21:43:14 UTC+2 je oseba Bill Honaker napisala:

> >> That would explain the 'error 21'.
> >>
> >> The server probably uses that error to indicate to the calling program that the message it received isn't correct for the structure (or structures) that it expects to receive.
> >>
> >> The line that starts with "?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancptal(" implies that you should find a file called ?nolist, source $data02.ba60src.bancc that contains the
> >> structures and literals required to build the message in C.
> >>
> >> A very high level skim of the code also says you will need to parse the message and calculate pointers to some returned sub-structures, especially if they occur multiple times.
> >>
> >> Bill
> >
> >Bill: I'm not sure what the specific server does, but the general IPC protocol for XPNet, particularly station-to-station messaging, is rather complex with optional fields controlled by bitmaps. I think the C coding error above may be part of the problem, though, before anything else happens. I do also think you're correct that the error 21 is coming from the server as a response to an invalid header, probably with a bad length field.
> For communications with devices, authorization services etc. XPNet uses ISO messages or X9.15 messages, both of which are character strings including bitmpas '
> (1 or 2 for ISO, multi-level of X9.15). Command and Control internal messages use binary structures, often times concatenated based on context (such as number
> of stations returned in a status station * command).
>
> One should either review it with another staff member already familiar, attend an ACI course, or be prepared to dig deeply into the manuals.
> Bill

Thank you all for your help. I will let you know when I found the request structures or make some progress on the program.

Regards,
Uros

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<b4698be5-bebb-4ca3-87b8-99a20f8f8e04n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=193&group=comp.sys.tandem#193

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 11:56:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: cavaz...@gmail.com (gcav)
 by: gcav - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:56 UTC

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 7:06:19 AM UTC, uros kusar wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm writing C program that would get the status of the xpnet objects (stations,processes,node...). I'm using procedures described in the HP manuals(Pathsend and Server programming Manual, C/C++ programmer's Guide...) but I can't get anyting from Pathway except errors. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?

AFAIK, to get status of stations,processes,node and all B24 things, you must talk directly to the XPNET process. You have to read the XPNET programmers guide.

gc

Re: PATHSEND/SERVERCLASS SEND procedure from C

<c841da7f-bb84-465d-a256-23d465ed1b73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=214&group=comp.sys.tandem#214

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 13:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: gvmarti...@gmail.com (Gustavo Martinez)
 by: Gustavo Martinez - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 20:54 UTC

El viernes, 18 de junio de 2021 a la(s) 15:56:44 UTC-3, gcav escribió:
> On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 7:06:19 AM UTC, uros kusar wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm writing C program that would get the status of the xpnet objects (stations,processes,node...). I'm using procedures described in the HP manuals(Pathsend and Server programming Manual, C/C++ programmer's Guide...) but I can't get anyting from Pathway except errors. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?
> >
> AFAIK, to get status of stations,processes,node and all B24 things, you must talk directly to the XPNET process. You have to read the XPNET programmers guide.
>
> gc

Hello Uros,

You can write the "requester" against XPNET in C or TAL, that is not the problem. The correct server to be called is SERVER-NCP and you have to use SERVERCLASS_SEND_ as expected. The SERVER-NCP will determine which NCPI server the command needs to be send (if you send a message for only one NODE, then not all the the NCPI servers will be called).Effectively the structures are not so easy. You need to read carefully the manual in order to determine how to format the message and indicate to the NCP Server what you want to do. You would need basically three things to keep in mind:

1) The request contains a static part and a variable part. Being the static part easy and the variable part the complex one. One of the complex issues are how you indicate structures lenght. So I am guessing here that you are not sending correctly those structures and the SERVER-NCP respond with Filesystem error 21.

2) The request structure in C is: ncp_c_lex_struct_def

3) The variable part depends on the command you want to send to the NCP Server. If it is a DELIVER (for example), then look for the deliver structure, complete carefully that structure, and then "insert" that structure into the variable part of the request.
The request can be as complex as you need. Any command you execute from NCPCOM should (in theory) work programmatically.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Gustavo.