"I'm growing older, but not up." -- Jimmy Buffett

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

SubjectAuthor
* Access Light on External SSD Stays OnWade Garrett
+- Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnChris Schram
+* Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnAlan Browne
|`* Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnWade Garrett
| `- Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnAlan Browne
`* Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnJolly Roger
 `* Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnWade Garrett
  `* Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnAlan Browne
   `* Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnWade Garrett
    `- Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays OnAlan Browne

1
Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<uctg18$a1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16288&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16288

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Access Light on External SSD Stays On
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:02:47 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 20:02 UTC

The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
computer, and even hen it is asleep.

Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB cables
(USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.

Lights still on!

--
There's no problem so bad that you can’t make it worse.
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<uctkvg$r6q9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16289&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16289

From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:27:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:27 UTC

On 2023-09-01, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
> drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
> when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
> computer, and even hen it is asleep.
>
> Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB cables
> (USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.
>
> Lights still on!

In my specific experience, this hint only applies to WD drives, so YMMV:
There may be utility software downloadable from the drive manufacturer's
website. In my case, that software allowed me to turn that light off.

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<5FuIM.121053$JbKe.73417@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16291&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16291

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 19:41:53 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 23:41 UTC

On 2023-09-01 16:02, Wade Garrett wrote:
> The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
> drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
> when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
> computer,   and even hen it is asleep.
>
> Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB cables
> (USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.
>
> Lights still on!

When reading/writing do the lights flicker? For example on my drive
caddies the lights are on, but during access (read or write) they
flicker (or blink). This whether the external disk is a HD or SSD.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<klfdtbF2efkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16293&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16293

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 2 Sep 2023 00:28:27 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 00:28 UTC

On 2023-09-01, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
> drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
> when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
> computer, and even hen it is asleep.
>
> Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB cables
> (USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.
>
> Lights still on!

What make and model are these drives?

How are these drives connected to the Mac in question?

What version macOS are you running?

Details, please!

JR

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<ucver2$eel3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16298&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16298

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 09:54:42 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 13:54 UTC

On 9/1/23 7:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-09-01 16:02, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
>> drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
>> when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
>> computer,   and even hen it is asleep.
>>
>> Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB
>> cables (USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.
>>
>> Lights still on!
>
> When reading/writing do the lights flicker?  For example on my drive
> caddies the lights are on, but during access (read or write) they
> flicker (or blink).  This whether the external disk is a HD or SSD.

Yes, they do.

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<ucvfij$ei9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16299&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16299

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:07:13 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:07 UTC

On 9/1/23 8:28 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-09-01, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>> The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
>> drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
>> when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
>> computer, and even hen it is asleep.
>>
>> Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB cables
>> (USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.
>>
>> Lights still on!
>
> What make and model are these drives?
>
> How are these drives connected to the Mac in question?
>
> What version macOS are you running?
>
> Details, please!

= Drives are TeamGroup 2,5" EX2 512 in generic USB 3.1 to SATA cases and
1 GB Toshiba Canvio

= Connected by short USB-C cable

- MacOS 13.5.1 (22G90)

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<uBHIM.857857$AsA.649026@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16300&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16300

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:25:30 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:25 UTC

On 2023-09-02 09:54, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 9/1/23 7:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-09-01 16:02, Wade Garrett wrote:
>>> The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
>>> drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
>>> when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
>>> computer,   and even hen it is asleep.
>>>
>>> Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB
>>> cables (USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.
>>>
>>> Lights still on!
>>
>> When reading/writing do the lights flicker?  For example on my drive
>> caddies the lights are on, but during access (read or write) they
>> flicker (or blink).  This whether the external disk is a HD or SSD.
>>
> Yes, they do.

Then, IMO, there is no issue. (Other than it may annoy you).

I neglected to add: when my Mac is asleep (or off), the caddie lights
turn red. When the Mac is on they are blue. Flickering during read/write.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<LCHIM.857858$AsA.759669@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16301&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16301

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:26:51 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:26 UTC

On 2023-09-02 10:07, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 9/1/23 8:28 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-09-01, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>>> The drive access lights on several Different external USB SSD and HD
>>> drives connected to my fully updated Intel iMac stay on all the time
>>> when the drives are not being accessed, nothing is going on on the
>>> computer,   and even hen it is asleep.
>>>
>>> Tried different USB computer ports, a powered hub, different USB cables
>>> (USB-C, micro, mini, USB 3.0) and reset NVRAM and SMC.
>>>
>>> Lights still on!
>>
>> What make and model are these drives?
>>
>> How are these drives connected to the Mac in question?
>>
>> What version macOS are you running?
>>
>> Details, please!
>>

> = Drives are TeamGroup 2,5" EX2 512 in generic USB 3.1 to SATA cases and
> 1 GB Toshiba Canvio

Surely ... 1 TB .... ;-)

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<ud0ev7$isri$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16305&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16305

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 19:03:03 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 23:03 UTC

On 9/2/23 10:26 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-09-02 10:07, Wade Garrett wrote:

>>> What make and model are these drives?
>>>
>>> How are these drives connected to the Mac in question?
>>>
>>> What version macOS are you running?
>>>
>>> Details, please!
>>>

>> = Drives are TeamGroup 2,5" EX2 512 in generic USB 3.1 to SATA cases
>> and 1 GB Toshiba Canvio
>
> Surely ... 1 TB .... ;-)

Oops :-)

Re: Access Light on External SSD Stays On

<e80JM.195396$JG_b.52023@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16306&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16306

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 09:47:54 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 13:47 UTC

On 2023-09-02 19:03, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 9/2/23 10:26 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> = Drives are TeamGroup 2,5" EX2 512 in generic USB 3.1 to SATA cases
>>> and 1 GB Toshiba Canvio
>>
>> Surely ... 1 TB .... ;-)
>>

> Oops :-)

Been there ...