"Don't talk to me about disclaimers! I invented disclaimers!" -- The Censored Hacker

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

SubjectAuthor
* synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacLagisbert
`* Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacJolly Roger
 `* Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacTim Lance
  `* Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacJolly Roger
   +* Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacAlan Browne
   |+* Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacgtr
   ||`- Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacAlan Browne
   |`- Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacJolly Roger
   `- Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imacTim Lance

1
synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<780b49a6-dcb9-452c-bc76-5158f0fffa47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16307&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16307

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac
From: jgras1...@gmail.com (Lagisbert)
 by: Lagisbert - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 17:41 UTC

Hello.
I have an iphone, an Ipad , an an Imac, and the music app on each of them has different music.
How can I manage to have the same music in the three, and synchronize among them?

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<klq34nFoa34U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16308&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16308

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac
Date: 6 Sep 2023 01:32:07 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 01:32 UTC

On 2023-09-05, Lagisbert <jgras1970@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> I have an iphone, an Ipad , an an Imac, and the music app on each of them has different music.
> How can I manage to have the same music in the three, and synchronize among them?

You could certainly go "old school" and (a) consolidate your music to
the iMac Music library, and then (b) manually sync the iPhone and i{ad
to your Mac. But there's a *much* better way:

I've moved my music library to the cloud by subscribing to iTunes Match
so that all of my music is automatically available on all of my Apple
devices and computers without me having to lift a finger.

iTunes Match
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146>

I've used iTunes Match for years, and absolutely love it. For only a
couple bucks a month, my entire music library of over 10,000 songs (most
of which were painstakingly imported from a large CD collection) is
available in iCloud. Each of my iOS devices and Macs have access to all
of it. I can play any song in my library at will and it automatically
streams to the device. My songs don’t have to be downloaded to my
devices, which means I have lots more free space on them.

I keep the songs downloaded on my computer where I have lots of free
space. But I don’t even have to do that if I don’t want to. I can just
leave them all in the cloud if needed (note, however, that iTunes Match
is not advertised or intended to be a backup service - you should
definitely keep an archive of your own).

I also prepare for flights on planes by downloading artists / albums /
songs / playlists to whatever device(s) I’ll be carrying with me, so I
can listen to them while we are in the air, then just delete them again
when I get home to save space again.

Another really nice benefit of iTunes Match is once your songs are
uploaded to iCloud, you can delete them from your iTunes library and
re-download them as pristine high-quality AAC (Advanced Audio Coding -
MPEG-4, the successor to MP3) versions of the songs that were matched
from Apple’s catalog with absolutely no DRM attached. That means if you
have crappy MP3s, regardless of where they came from, you get to
exchange them for legitimate DRM-free high quality copies. That’s a very
nice bonus!

Overall, highly recommended. 😊👍🏼

JR

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<VJrOM.1324$2ph4.62@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16334&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16334

From: not...@here.org (Tim Lance)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:16:37 -0500
 by: Tim Lance - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 01:16 UTC

On Sep 5, 2023, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article <klq34nFoa34U1@mid.individual.net>):

> On 2023-09-05, Lagisbert<jgras1970@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> > I have an iphone, an Ipad , an an Imac, and the music app on each of them
> > has different music.
> > How can I manage to have the same music in the three, and synchronize among
> > them?
>
> You could certainly go "old school" and (a) consolidate your music to
> the iMac Music library, and then (b) manually sync the iPhone and i{ad
> to your Mac. But there's a *much* better way:
>
> I've moved my music library to the cloud by subscribing to iTunes Match
> so that all of my music is automatically available on all of my Apple
> devices and computers without me having to lift a finger.
>
> iTunes Match
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146>
>
> I've used iTunes Match for years, and absolutely love it. For only a
> couple bucks a month, my entire music library of over 10,000 songs (most
> of which were painstakingly imported from a large CD collection) is
> available in iCloud. Each of my iOS devices and Macs have access to all
> of it. I can play any song in my library at will and it automatically
> streams to the device. My songs don’t have to be downloaded to my
> devices, which means I have lots more free space on them.
>
> I keep the songs downloaded on my computer where I have lots of free
> space. But I don’t even have to do that if I don’t want to. I can just
> leave them all in the cloud if needed (note, however, that iTunes Match
> is not advertised or intended to be a backup service - you should
> definitely keep an archive of your own).
>
> I also prepare for flights on planes by downloading artists / albums /
> songs / playlists to whatever device(s) I’ll be carrying with me, so I
> can listen to them while we are in the air, then just delete them again
> when I get home to save space again.
>
> Another really nice benefit of iTunes Match is once your songs are
> uploaded to iCloud, you can delete them from your iTunes library and
> re-download them as pristine high-quality AAC (Advanced Audio Coding -
> MPEG-4, the successor to MP3) versions of the songs that were matched
> from Apple’s catalog with absolutely no DRM attached. That means if you
> have crappy MP3s, regardless of where they came from, you get to
> exchange them for legitimate DRM-free high quality copies. That’s a very
> nice bonus!
>
> Overall, highly recommended. 😊👍🏼

Ditto.

I have a 2 TB library with a tremendous amount of live shows and digital
transfers from old LPs of stuff never on CD. All have uploaded to my iCloud
library. When playing at home it’s in lossless and on the road high quality
AAC.

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<kmv1dbFmqddU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16335&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16335

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 20 Sep 2023 01:49:31 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 01:49 UTC

On 2023-09-20, Tim Lance <not@here.org> wrote:

> Ditto.
>
> I have a 2 TB library with a tremendous amount of live shows and digital
> transfers from old LPs of stuff never on CD. All have uploaded to my iCloud
> library. When playing at home it’s in lossless and on the road high quality
> AAC.

It really is pretty nice.

Back in the 90s, some friends and I considered the idea of a company
that would hold people's music libraries in the cloud and stream it on
demand (we weren't thinking of mobile devices at the time - just
computers), but it would have been cost-prohibitive and much harder to
set up back then. For obvious reasons, Apple had all the money and
resources needed to design it right and make it successful. In
comparison, we wouldn't have stood a chance. 🤣

JR

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<iIFOM.28875$_Lv6.28565@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16336&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16336

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:10:38 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:10 UTC

On 2023-09-19 21:49, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-09-20, Tim Lance <not@here.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ditto.
>>
>> I have a 2 TB library with a tremendous amount of live shows and digital
>> transfers from old LPs of stuff never on CD. All have uploaded to my iCloud
>> library. When playing at home it’s in lossless and on the road high quality
>> AAC.
>
> It really is pretty nice.
>
> Back in the 90s, some friends and I considered the idea of a company
> that would hold people's music libraries in the cloud and stream it on
> demand (we weren't thinking of mobile devices at the time - just
> computers), but it would have been cost-prohibitive and much harder to
> set up back then. For obvious reasons, Apple had all the money and
> resources needed to design it right and make it successful. In
> comparison, we wouldn't have stood a chance. 🤣

If you had taken the risk, borrowed OPM, built up a core that was
functional and reliable, Apple (or other(s)) may have well bought you
out at handsome (FE) premium.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<ueipbh$3p2jn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16342&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16342

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 01:06:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 01:06 UTC

On Sep 20, 2023 at 10:10:38 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-09-19 21:49, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-09-20, Tim Lance <not@here.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ditto.
>>>
>>> I have a 2 TB library with a tremendous amount of live shows and digital
>>> transfers from old LPs of stuff never on CD. All have uploaded to my iCloud
>>> library. When playing at home it’s in lossless and on the road high quality
>>> AAC.
>>
>> It really is pretty nice.
>>
>> Back in the 90s, some friends and I considered the idea of a company
>> that would hold people's music libraries in the cloud and stream it on
>> demand (we weren't thinking of mobile devices at the time - just
>> computers), but it would have been cost-prohibitive and much harder to
>> set up back then. For obvious reasons, Apple had all the money and
>> resources needed to design it right and make it successful. In
>> comparison, we wouldn't have stood a chance. 🤣
>
> If you had taken the risk, borrowed OPM, built up a core that was
> functional and reliable, Apple (or other(s)) may have well bought you
> out at handsome (FE) premium.

That worked out well for guys at the classical music enterprise Primephonic,
which became Apple's Classical.app released earlier this year. Sadly, it's
only available on the iPhone and iPad, and the iPad version, even in IOS 17,
is still the iPhone program taking up a small rectangle in the middle of the
iPad screen. Especially for Apple it seems strange they still have updated it
to at least observe the screen size.

As for sharing across devices, it took many days before I got 92k of tunes on
iCloud. I'm still inching forward and now have ~97k. I understand it is
limited to 100k. Doing searches in Music.app, even on my new mac (Mac Mini M2
Pro), typing searches is still slowed to a crawl.

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<c2mPM.119446$noZ7.70318@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16343&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16343

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:37:44 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:37 UTC

On 2023-09-21 21:06, gtr wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2023 at 10:10:38 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
> wrote:

>>> It really is pretty nice.
>>>
>>> Back in the 90s, some friends and I considered the idea of a company
>>> that would hold people's music libraries in the cloud and stream it on
>>> demand (we weren't thinking of mobile devices at the time - just
>>> computers), but it would have been cost-prohibitive and much harder to
>>> set up back then. For obvious reasons, Apple had all the money and
>>> resources needed to design it right and make it successful. In
>>> comparison, we wouldn't have stood a chance. 🤣
>>
>> If you had taken the risk, borrowed OPM, built up a core that was
>> functional and reliable, Apple (or other(s)) may have well bought you
>> out at handsome (FE) premium.
>
> That worked out well for guys at the classical music enterprise Primephonic,
> which became Apple's Classical.app released earlier this year. Sadly, it's
> only available on the iPhone and iPad, and the iPad version, even in IOS 17,
> is still the iPhone program taking up a small rectangle in the middle of the
> iPad screen. Especially for Apple it seems strange they still have updated it
> to at least observe the screen size.
>
> As for sharing across devices, it took many days before I got 92k of tunes on
> iCloud. I'm still inching forward and now have ~97k. I understand it is
> limited to 100k. Doing searches in Music.app, even on my new mac (Mac Mini M2
> Pro), typing searches is still slowed to a crawl.

I have less than 10,000 "tunes" in my library. Most of which is off of
my CD collection (now boxed up and stored...) and a few LP's carefully
transferred some 20 years ago.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<kn6f8eFu5t1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16344&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16344

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 22 Sep 2023 21:28:46 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:28 UTC

On 2023-09-20, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-19 21:49, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-09-20, Tim Lance <not@here.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ditto.
>>>
>>> I have a 2 TB library with a tremendous amount of live shows and digital
>>> transfers from old LPs of stuff never on CD. All have uploaded to my iCloud
>>> library. When playing at home it’s in lossless and on the road high quality
>>> AAC.
>>
>> It really is pretty nice.
>>
>> Back in the 90s, some friends and I considered the idea of a company
>> that would hold people's music libraries in the cloud and stream it on
>> demand (we weren't thinking of mobile devices at the time - just
>> computers), but it would have been cost-prohibitive and much harder to
>> set up back then. For obvious reasons, Apple had all the money and
>> resources needed to design it right and make it successful. In
>> comparison, we wouldn't have stood a chance. 🤣
>
> If you had taken the risk, borrowed OPM, built up a core that was
> functional and reliable, Apple (or other(s)) may have well bought you
> out at handsome (FE) premium.

Perhaps. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on a coin flip) our
regular jobs ended up tipping that scale. 🙂

JR

Re: synchronize music app in iphone, ipad, imac

<xXcQM.49566$tTTf.43563@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16349&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16349

From: not...@here.org (Tim Lance)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 05:05:17 -0500
 by: Tim Lance - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:05 UTC

On Sep 19, 2023, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article <kmv1dbFmqddU1@mid.individual.net>):

> On 2023-09-20, Tim Lance<not@here.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ditto.
> >
> > I have a 2 TB library with a tremendous amount of live shows and digital
> > transfers from old LPs of stuff never on CD. All have uploaded to my iCloud
> > library. When playing at home it’s in lossless and on the road high
> > quality
> > AAC.
>
> It really is pretty nice.
>
> Back in the 90s, some friends and I considered the idea of a company
> that would hold people's music libraries in the cloud and stream it on
> demand (we weren't thinking of mobile devices at the time - just
> computers), but it would have been cost-prohibitive and much harder to
> set up back then. For obvious reasons, Apple had all the money and
> resources needed to design it right and make it successful. In
> comparison, we wouldn't have stood a chance. 🤣

But I’d bet it would have been nicely well done.