From: pschl...@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups,news.software.readers
Subject: Newsreader killfiles, the "Nunchucks of Usenet"
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:44:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:44 UTC

"Killfiles are the nunchucks of Usenet. Like nunchucks, many users of
killfiles are so obsessed with the spectacle and ego-gratification of
brandishing them, that such users lose sight of the fact that they are
ineffective weapons. Even the most skilled nunchuck wielder can be
vulnerable to a simple farmer snatching them out of their hands with the
business end of a pruning hook, then flipping that pruning hook over to
the handle end to beat them over the head before they realize what
happened. Killfiles are vulnerable to being undermined by subject and
nym shifting, as well as natural human weakness and temper that can be
baited and provoked. Combatants on Usenet don't want to 'ignore'
arguments, they want to actively engage them."

https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/ud39nz/newsreader_killfiles_the_nunchucks_of_usenet/

Re: Newsreader killfiles, the "Nunchucks of Usenet"

<SSHUM.2591$3l%9.1983@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1492&group=news.software.readers#1492

Subject: Re: Newsreader killfiles, the "Nunchucks of Usenet"
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups,news.software.readers
From: rdh...@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:32:50 -0500
 by: rdh - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:32 UTC

The clear answer is to not be obnoxious about it. Like God said, ``When
you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.''

Killfiles are about as effective as it's going to get, and ignoring
arguments and bad behavior actually works pretty well.

Re: Newsreader killfiles, the "Nunchucks of Usenet"

<ui33me$2qt7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1632&group=news.software.readers#1632

From: i3maqq...@mozmail.com (fratermus)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 15:30:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: fratermus - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 15:30 UTC

On 2023-10-09, rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote:

> Killfiles are about as effective as it's going to get, and ignoring
> arguments and bad behavior actually works pretty well.

I'd love to see killfiles for youtube, reddit, etc.