https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1638&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1638

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:09:46 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:39 UTC

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Historical content remains viewable.

An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that reports a unique
URL will need to be located that allows people to search before posting to
the a.c.h.p-h. newsgroup & which allows unique references to recent
articles.
--
You can probably safely remove your Google Groups filters now.

<19dl0l9ado7hj$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1639&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1639

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 00:04:23 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 06:04 UTC

Indira <indira@ghandi.net> wrote:
(also multi-posted to other newsgroups)

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware
> Historical content remains viewable.

Yay! This was known to occur a couple months ago.

> An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that reports a unique
> URL will need to be located that allows people to search before they post
> to the a.c.f. newsgroup and which allows unique references to recent posts.

Nope, not needed. One, use the search in your own NNTP client. How
much you can search depends on the retention of your NNTP client. Two,
modus operandi is no one bothers to search any newsgroup before posting.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions

<urauo9$2prpn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1641&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1641

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:51:29 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:21 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Nope, not needed. One, use the search in your own NNTP client. How
> much you can search depends on the retention of your NNTP client. Two,
> modus operandi is no one bothers to search any newsgroup before posting.

The advantage of dejanews (which Google took over) is that it's available
to everyone, not just the Usenet cognoscenti, and it provides the full
thread (not just the <http://al.howardknight.net/> search based on a known
Message-ID), and it requires no account, no cost, and only a web browser
which means it works for everyone on every platform, and the retention was
decades, and it only required basic search terms anyone could use and it
provides a unique URL to the article (or thread) that anyone else can read
years from now to benefit.

Even to the Usenet cognoscenti, as you seem to be aware, it's always the
ones who never search before they post who claim this loss is a good thing.

What we need now is a good replacement Usenet-only websearchable engine.