Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother. -- Kahlil Gibran

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: IT companies in Nashua

SubjectAuthor
* IT companies in NashuaPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
`* Re: IT companies in Nashuaabrsvc
 +* Re: IT companies in NashuaRobert A. Brooks
 |`* Re: IT companies in NashuaMichael Moroney
 | `- Re: IT companies in NashuaLawrence D’Oliveiro
 +* Re: IT companies in NashuaVAXman-
 |`* Re: IT companies in NashuaSimon Clubley
 | `* Re: IT companies in NashuaAlan Frisbie
 |  +* Re: IT companies in NashuaLee Gleason
 |  |`* Re: IT companies in NashuaSimon Clubley
 |  | `- Re: IT companies in NashuaChris Townley
 |  +- Re: IT companies in NashuaSimon Clubley
 |  `- Re: IT companies in NashuaStephen Hoffman
 `- Re: IT companies in NashuaPhillip Helbig (undress to reply

1
IT companies in Nashua

<sevus2$v13$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16437&group=comp.os.vms#16437

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: IT companies in Nashua
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 07:39:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 07:39 UTC

At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?

(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<37f5510b-3de6-46d5-affa-d24a6a99cf1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16440&group=comp.os.vms#16440

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 04:22:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: IT companies in Nashua
From: dansabrs...@yahoo.com (abrsvc)
 by: abrsvc - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 11:22 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:39:48 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
> where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
> chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
> Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
> DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
>
> (Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.

I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf0dp4$n68$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16444&group=comp.os.vms#16444

From: FIRST.L...@vmssoftware.com (Robert A. Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 07:54:12 -0400
 by: Robert A. Brooks - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 11:54 UTC

On 8/11/2021 7:22 AM, abrsvc wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:39:48 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
>> where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
>> chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
>> Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
>> DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
>>
>> (Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )

> The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
> The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.

Oracle built their own building near the Spitbrook Road (ZK) complex.

> I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.

That sign was taken when HP vacated the complex in 2008. I think Sue Skonetski
took it.

--
-- Rob

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<00B6721C.D1BAC246@SendSpamHere.ORG>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16447&group=comp.os.vms#16447

From: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 13:36:26 GMT
 by: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 13:36 UTC

In article <37f5510b-3de6-46d5-affa-d24a6a99cf1cn@googlegroups.com>, abrsvc <dansabrservices@yahoo.com> writes:
>On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:39:48 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
>> where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
>> chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
>> Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
>> DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
>>
>> (Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
>The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
>The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
>
>I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.

Wrong. The NPP sign was auctioned off at a VMS Bootcamp. I know who owns it
now.

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf111i$88q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16449&group=comp.os.vms#16449

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 17:22:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 17:22 UTC

On 2021-08-11, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG <VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG> wrote:
> In article <37f5510b-3de6-46d5-affa-d24a6a99cf1cn@googlegroups.com>, abrsvc <dansabrservices@yahoo.com> writes:
>>On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:39:48 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>>> At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
>>> where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
>>> chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
>>> Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
>>> DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
>>>
>>> (Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
>>The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
>>The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
>>
>>I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
>
> Wrong. The NPP sign was auctioned off at a VMS Bootcamp. I know who owns it
> now.

Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
wall at the entrance to the facility ?

The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
management waffle ?

Simon.

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf17ll$1ka5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16450&group=comp.os.vms#16450

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 19:16:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 19:16 UTC

In article <37f5510b-3de6-46d5-affa-d24a6a99cf1cn@googlegroups.com>, abrsvc <dansabrservices@yahoo.com> writes:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:39:48 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> > At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
> > where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
> > chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
> > Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
> > DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
> >
> > (Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
> The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
> The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
>
> I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.

Yes, I was there in 1999. I was in Boston for a conference, and I made
a pilgrimage up to Nashua, where Steve Lionel was kind enough to show me
around. (By a strange coincidence, the woman organizing the conference
supported an animal shelter for which Steve was the webmaster.) I got
to meet Hoff and Andy Goldstein. Fred Kleinsorge wasn't in that day
IIRC. I think Sue Skonetski might have been there too.

The internet tells me that Oracle Drive runs into Spit Brook Road.

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf1sj7$162n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16456&group=comp.os.vms#16456

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:13:12 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 01:13 UTC

On 8/11/2021 7:54 AM, Robert A. Brooks wrote:
> On 8/11/2021 7:22 AM, abrsvc wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:39:48 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig
>> (undress to reply) wrote:
>>> At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
>>> where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
>>> chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
>>> Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
>>> DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
>>>
>>> (Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
>
>> The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC
>> facility.  This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
>> The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the
>> employees changed.
>
> Oracle built their own building near the Spitbrook Road (ZK) complex.

I believe Oracle bought the land from Digital. They did build their own
building.

>> I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small
>> pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
>
> That sign was taken when HP vacated the complex in 2008.  I think Sue
> Skonetski took it.

The Non-Paged Pool sign was removed and auctioned off by Sue Skonetski
at a VMS Bootcamp.

The original ZK complex was purchased by a commercial property
management company and is now occupied by several companies.

What used to be woods behind the ZK complex (and I believe was once held
for future expansion of the ZK complex) has been built on. It is now
condos or apartments. What is nice is the main road through the complex
is named "Digital Drive". It connects an extension of Tara Blvd (past
ZK2). to "Research Drive", which is the roadway to the ZK3 parking lots.
(I don't know if that had a name during Digital times).

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<a17a840b-6f02-4bb2-a5aa-a908701ca603n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16459&group=comp.os.vms#16459

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 22:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: lawrence...@gmail.com (Lawrence D’Oliveiro)
 by: Lawrence D’Oliveir - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 05:44 UTC

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 1:13:14 PM UTC+12, Michael Moroney wrote:

> What is nice is the main road through the complex
> is named "Digital Drive". It connects an extension of Tara Blvd (past
> ZK2). to "Research Drive", which is the roadway to the ZK3 parking lots.
> (I don't know if that had a name during Digital times).
That second road should have been named “Equipment”, not “Research”, surely. Otherwise it’s memorializing the wrong company ...

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<dpydne1NANrSo4j8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16470&group=comp.os.vms#16470

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: Usenet03...@flying-disk.com (Alan Frisbie)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 08:29:18 -0700
 by: Alan Frisbie - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:29 UTC

On 8/11/21 10:22 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:

> Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
> wall at the entrance to the facility ?
>
> The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
> management waffle ?

Yes, that's the one. I can't remember the original text, but
it was pretty cool. Then management replaced it with "CUSTOMERS
WIN WHEN WE DELIVER".

But at some point (cleaning? repainting?) two of the bits got
swapped, changing two of the characters to garbage. I sent
them a photo with the errors marked but nobody ever did anything
about it.

Almost as good was when the "Digital" letters on their office
building in Culver City, California got refurbished. The
contractor put them back as "Dgiital". They stayed like that
for a couple of days.

Alan Frisbie

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<9FcRI.9353$Bg6.6784@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16473&group=comp.os.vms#16473

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: lee.glea...@comcast.net (Lee Gleason)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 12:13:39 -0500
 by: Lee Gleason - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:13 UTC

On 8/12/2021 10:29 AM, Alan Frisbie wrote:
> On 8/11/21 10:22 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>
>> Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
>> wall at the entrance to the facility ?
>>
>> The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
>> management waffle ?

It oroginally spelled out

DIGITAL SOFTWA
REENGINEERING

The legend has it that some managers didn't like the fact that it
broke "Software" into two words and spelled out "REENGINEERING"...like
the engineering was was bad enough to need redoing. This was supposedly
the impetus to change it to the the CUSTOMER WINS" message

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf3l69$ma9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16474&group=comp.os.vms#16474

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:19:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:19 UTC

On 2021-08-12, Alan Frisbie <Usenet03_REMOVE@flying-disk.com> wrote:
> On 8/11/21 10:22 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>
>> Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
>> wall at the entrance to the facility ?
>>
>> The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
>> management waffle ?
>
> Yes, that's the one. I can't remember the original text, but
> it was pretty cool. Then management replaced it with "CUSTOMERS
> WIN WHEN WE DELIVER".

Thanks. I thought it was but was not sure.

And I see I was right about the meaningless management waffle. :-)

Simon.

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf3lep$ma9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16475&group=comp.os.vms#16475

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:23:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:23 UTC

On 2021-08-12, Lee Gleason <lee.gleason@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 8/12/2021 10:29 AM, Alan Frisbie wrote:
> > On 8/11/21 10:22 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> >
> >> Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
> >> wall at the entrance to the facility ?
> >>
> >> The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
> >> management waffle ?
> >
> It oroginally spelled out
>
> DIGITAL SOFTWA
> REENGINEERING

Thanks.

> The legend has it that some managers didn't like the fact that it
> broke "Software" into two words and spelled out "REENGINEERING"...like
> the engineering was was bad enough to need redoing. This was supposedly
> the impetus to change it to the the CUSTOMER WINS" message

Yes, that sounds like the kind of thing that some managers would
think about if they didn't have any real work to do that month. :-)

Simon.

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf3n3l$7us$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16478&group=comp.os.vms#16478

From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 13:51:49 -0400
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:51 UTC

On 2021-08-12 15:29:18 +0000, Alan Frisbie said:

> On 8/11/21 10:22 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>
>> Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the wall
>> at the entrance to the facility ?
>>
>> The one that local management replaced with some meaningless management
>> waffle ?
>
> Yes, that's the one. I can't remember the original text, but it was
> pretty cool.

DIGITALSOFTWA
REENGINEERING

> Then management replaced it with "CUSTOMERS WIN WHEN WE DELIVER".

Rooting out all remaining traces of the previous regime.

Seems the latest regime as removed traces of the previous regimes again, too.

Other replies, in no particular order...

Dyn was located in Manchester for many years, and AFAIK its founding
and early operation was folks from WPI, and unrelated to DEC.

Oracle acquired Dyn some years ago, rolling parts into their Cloud offering.

And as for why Dyn is now located on Oracle Drive, Oracle seemingly had
available office space off Spitbrook Road.

Oracle acquired that Spitbrook Road property from DEC, around the time
of the Rdb sale.

The former ZKO3 building (westernmost) was renumbered as 100 Innovation
Way, ZKO1 (center) became 200 Innovation Way, and ZKO2 (easternmost,
nearest the FEE) as 300.

Looks like there's now an outdoor seating area located next to the
pond, which is a nice touch.

And as other replies have mentioned, the non-paged pool sign (and a
granite bench) were removed.

DEC had previously also occupied 10 Tara Blvd (TTB) to the west of the
Radisson hotel, but exited that building ~20 years ago, or more. There
were other DEC sites in Nashua, including on Cotton Road, Amherst
Street, and Northeastern Blvd.

What didn't have a street name is now Innovation Way and Digital Way in
Nashua, DEC Marlborough had Iron Way (now Results Way and Value Way,
and the site of "The Bubble" looks to be a condo complex), Apple has
Infinite Loop, various other folks have their own street names. Etc.

related: https://nashuatechnologypark.com

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Re: IT companies in Nashua

<sf3nap$8f8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16479&group=comp.os.vms#16479

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 18:55:36 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:55 UTC

On 12/08/2021 18:23, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2021-08-12, Lee Gleason <lee.gleason@comcast.net> wrote:

>> It oroginally spelled out
>>
>> DIGITAL SOFTWA
>> REENGINEERING
>>

> Thanks.
>
>> The legend has it that some managers didn't like the fact that it
>> broke "Software" into two words and spelled out "REENGINEERING"...like
>> the engineering was was bad enough to need redoing. This was supposedly
>> the impetus to change it to the the CUSTOMER WINS" message
>>

> Yes, that sounds like the kind of thing that some managers would
> think about if they didn't have any real work to do that month. :-)
>
> Simon.

Not difficult to think about if you walk past it a few times a day.

If I had arranged it, I would have sacked the signwriter!

--
Chris