Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

SubjectAuthor
* Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...Kirk Bubul
+* Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...nospam
|`* Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...paul
| +* Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...Alan Baker
| |`- Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...Frank Slootweg
| `- Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...nospam
+- Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...Chris
`- Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...Joerg Lorenz

1
Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<51g1cgh1e510vcphvnr3hppdtrlis8b4uq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16497&group=comp.mobile.android#16497

From: khbu...@charter.net (Kirk Bubul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 08:27:09 -0500
 by: Kirk Bubul - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 13:27 UTC

Friends,

My 78 YO wife has essential tremors, especially in her dominant
right hand. (She has a hard time positioning her mouse over an
object to click on it.) She gets by on her laptop and finding
stuff on Youtube.com, but doesn't compose on her keyboard.

I really want her to try a smartphone, but she resists,
especially having to use a touchscreen to make calls or select
apps.

Question: Is there a smartphone that can operate mainly by voice
commands? Who makes it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<090620211031553564%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16499&group=comp.mobile.android#16499

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 10:31:55 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:31 UTC

In article <51g1cgh1e510vcphvnr3hppdtrlis8b4uq@4ax.com>, Kirk Bubul
<khbubul@charter.net> wrote:

> My 78 YO wife has essential tremors, especially in her dominant
> right hand. (She has a hard time positioning her mouse over an
> object to click on it.) She gets by on her laptop and finding
> stuff on Youtube.com, but doesn't compose on her keyboard.
>
> I really want her to try a smartphone, but she resists,
> especially having to use a touchscreen to make calls or select
> apps.
>
> Question: Is there a smartphone that can operate mainly by voice
> commands? Who makes it?

apple iphones and android phones can be controlled by voice and/or
other assistive devices.

i know it's the wrong group to say this, but apple is significantly
ahead in this area and is not limited to only phones:
<https://www.apple.com/accessibility/mobility/>
<https://www.engadget.com/2019-06-19-apple-voice-control-disability-acce
ssibility.html>
even the apple watch can be controlled by gestures (the video might
look like someone's idea of a joke, but it's very real):
<https://www.wareable.com/apple/apple-watch-to-get-incredible-gesture-co
ntrols-to-boost-accessibility-8430>

Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<s9qqud$bgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16506&group=comp.mobile.android#16506

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 17:40:44 +0100
 by: Chris - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 16:40 UTC

On 09/06/2021 14:27, Kirk Bubul wrote:
> Friends,
>
> My 78 YO wife has essential tremors, especially in her dominant
> right hand. (She has a hard time positioning her mouse over an
> object to click on it.) She gets by on her laptop and finding
> stuff on Youtube.com, but doesn't compose on her keyboard.
>
> I really want her to try a smartphone, but she resists,
> especially having to use a touchscreen to make calls or select
> apps.

Honestly, I don't think that's good idea. She will simply get frustrated
with it. A touchscreen is too sensitive and the keys too small unless
you get a phablet, but they can be cumbersome. Mechanical keys are much
better as they're less error-prone.

My 80+ mother is getting more and more bothered by her's. She much
prefers to type on her ipad.

> Question: Is there a smartphone that can operate mainly by voice
> commands? Who makes it?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<s9r8g5$ald$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16513&group=comp.mobile.android#16513

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 22:32:05 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 20:32 UTC

Am 09.06.21 um 15:27 schrieb Kirk Bubul:
> Friends,
>
> My 78 YO wife has essential tremors, especially in her dominant
> right hand. (She has a hard time positioning her mouse over an
> object to click on it.) She gets by on her laptop and finding
> stuff on Youtube.com, but doesn't compose on her keyboard.
>
> I really want her to try a smartphone, but she resists,
> especially having to use a touchscreen to make calls or select
> apps.
>
> Question: Is there a smartphone that can operate mainly by voice
> commands? Who makes it?

Apple iOS-devices with Siri will probably fit perfectly.

Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<s9rejk$12g9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16519&group=comp.mobile.android#16519

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 00:16:22 +0200
 by: paul - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 22:16 UTC

nospam wrote on 09.06.2021 17:31
> i know it's the wrong group to say this, but apple is significantly
> ahead in this area and is not limited to only phones:

This is the right group for facts.
It's _never_ the wrong group for facts.

It's the wrong group for bullshit though (which is what you usually do).
The rest of us simply want the facts.

Dunno about Apple being the best but let's see what a search comes up with.

Dunno the search terms though.... simplest might be for blind people maybe?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+is+the+best+cellphone+for+blind+people

First hit (I don't know which are shills and which aren't)
https://www.razmobility.com/assistive-technology-blog/4-top-cell-phones-for-people-who-are-blind-or-visually-impaired/
(No Apple phones in the top 4.)

Second hit the iPhone is their choice (I'm not reading just skimming)
https://www.upphone.com/learn/deals/buyers-guides-ld/best-cell-phone-for-visually-impaired/

Third hit, two out of three are not iPhones in my skim of results
https://mobile.asda.com/scoop/best-phones-visually-impaired

This is for seniors but man, look at what they suggest! (yuck)
https://www.consumersadvocate.org/cell-phones-for-seniors

What's a good search term we can use to get an answer to the question?

Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<s9rgsq$gpu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16520&group=comp.mobile.android#16520

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 15:55:19 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 22:55 UTC

On 2021-06-09 3:16 p.m., paul wrote:
> nospam wrote on 09.06.2021 17:31
>> i know it's the wrong group to say this, but apple is significantly
>> ahead in this area and is not limited to only phones:
>
> This is the right group for facts.
> It's _never_ the wrong group for facts.
>
> It's the wrong group for bullshit though (which is what you usually do).
> The rest of us simply want the facts.
>
> Dunno about Apple being the best but let's see what a search comes up with.
>
> Dunno the search terms though.... simplest might be for blind people maybe?
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+is+the+best+cellphone+for+blind+people
>
> First hit (I don't know which are shills and which aren't)
> https://www.razmobility.com/assistive-technology-blog/4-top-cell-phones-for-people-who-are-blind-or-visually-impaired/
> (No Apple phones in the top 4.)

One problem there, Arlen:

It's not a ranked list:

'This post reviews six popular cell phones for people who are blind or
visually impaired. Three of these are basic cell phones: the
MiniVision2, Lucia and Jitterbug Flip. The remaining three are
smartphones: the Google Pixel, Synapptic and the iPhone.'

'iPHONE

The iPhone is the most popular smartphone with people who are blind or
visually impaired, and for good reason: Apple was the first to develop
an excellent built-in screen reader, called VoiceOver.'

> Second hit the iPhone is their choice (I'm not reading just skimming)
> https://www.upphone.com/learn/deals/buyers-guides-ld/best-cell-phone-for-visually-impaired/

So far, none of your "hits" even appear on your search...

Lying again?

> Third hit, two out of three are not iPhones in my skim of results
> https://mobile.asda.com/scoop/best-phones-visually-impaired

But what do they say about the iPhone:

'For the easiest use - iPhone SE (2020)

iPhones are known for their easy to understand and predictable software.
Once you’ve owned anything running iOS, it becomes pretty simple to pick
up another Apple device and start using it seamlessly. The 2nd
generation SE is an updated version of the 2016 model of the same name.'

Lying yet again!

> This is for seniors but man, look at what they suggest! (yuck)
> https://www.consumersadvocate.org/cell-phones-for-seniors
>
> What's a good search term we can use to get an answer to the question?

If you don't know the answer to that...

....then why are you suggesting your answers were of any use?

Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<090620211900428272%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16521&group=comp.mobile.android#16521

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 19:00:42 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 23:00 UTC

In article <s9rejk$12g9$1@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> What's a good search term we can use to get an answer to the question?

start with: internet troll

Re: Wife needs hellp picking a new smartphone...

<s9ts8u.66c.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16541&group=comp.mobile.android#16541

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 10 Jun 2021 18:21:58 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:21 UTC

Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:
> On 2021-06-09 3:16 p.m., paul wrote:
[...]

> > What's a good search term we can use to get an answer to the question?
>
> If you don't know the answer to that...
>
> ...then why are you suggesting your answers were of any use?

Well, it would help if he would get the impairment right! There's no
indication that Kirk's wife is *visually* impaired. But let's not
nitpick about details like that.