Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:24:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: fox news
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:24 UTC

0

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-squad-apos-reps-rally-185917523.html

I really don't mind the US supplying bombs and other weapons to Israel at all at this point in time.

At the same time, I really do not like the suggestion that any criticism of Israeli leaders is definitely anti-Semitic or "libel" of any sort. According to my brief reading of the news stories, the comments made by Ms. Omar were intended to stand up against human rights abuses against all hurt citizens.

Why would anyone think it is wrong to, among other things, show bad guy violent Islamic extremists (and those who support them) that their horrifying and lethal actions against innocent Israeli citizens are definitely no better than the actions of the Israeli and other fighters whom they dishonestly criticize, even according to the assumptions of these extremists? Why work to undermine a valuable persuasive worker who is likely closely listened to by wavering supporters of violent bad guys in the Palestinian territories and beyond?

Of course Ms. Omar's speech alone will not solve any big problems completely. Nevertheless, slapping her hard for daring to try is much more destructive than slapping JSH hard for daring to take an interest in Fermat's Last Theorem. A for effort? No. F for effort?? Also no. Valid criticisms of Israel are helpful, and even invalid criticisms that are not hate speech can at least be construed as "good starts" that will invite a movement to more conversation and less violence.

Who told the US citizens criticizing Ms. Omar that presenting her as anti-Semitic is going to help Israeli citizens or anyone else in trouble? I argue it will only increase demand for violence as a substitute good for communication about the huge unsolved problem in the Middle East.

devel / comp.theory / fox news