From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Re: THIS is why privacy is CRUCIAL
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:40:29 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server, alt.privacy, alt.security.pgp,
rec.arts.poems
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 23:40 UTC

>Must watch: <https://danner-net.blah.blah.blah>

Why bother with all that 'old hat' stuff?
This message was also sent anonymously from my Tuta account and I receive
encrypted messages via remailers also to my Tuta account.

The average emailer isn't going to be bothered with all that nym crap.
No need to be so paranoid!

This is the way forward and you all know it. Encryption is everywhere now
and is not an elite secret messaging service like you're James Bond.

Free and premium services: https://tuta.com/pricing

Stay safe, stay encrypted! (And anonymous if you want to be!)

Re: THIS is why privacy is CRUCIAL

<4432f48b30c012254a4a3a19cb437f32@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16561&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16561

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 02:00:48 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 01:00 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:40:29 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>Why bother with
t u t a s p a m

Re: THIS is why privacy is CRUCIAL

<20240113.100221.fb3255a9@yamn.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16572&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16572

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 10:02:21 +0000
From: nob...@yamn.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy, alt.privacy.anon-server, alt.security.pgp,
rec.arts.poems
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 10:02 UTC

The Tuta Spammer wrote:

>>Must watch: <https://danner-net.blah.blah.blah>
>
>Why bother with all that 'old hat' stuff?
>This message was also sent anonymously from my Tuta account

a) It's missing a References header, so try harder next time.
Hint: With OmniMix and an NNTP client that won't happen.
b) Your non-anonymous tuta mail will never ever become
anonymous by an additional remailer routing.

All that demonstrates your cluelessness.

> and I receive
>encrypted messages via remailers also to my Tuta account.

What a surprise! Remailers can send to email addresses.
Praise the Lord!

>The average emailer isn't going to be bothered with all that nym crap.
>No need to be so paranoid!

So go play elsewhere, jerk. This here is beyond your imagination.
It's about reality, invisible looking through rose-tinted glasses.

Re: THIS is why privacy is CRUCIAL

<8b09f385bc9c0ca7f4f4860d9619cbf4@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16581&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16581

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:40:53 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:40 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 10:02:21 +0000, Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org>
wrote:

> The Tuta Spammer wrote:
>
>>> Must watch: <https://danner-net.blah.blah.blah>
>>
>> Why bother with all that 'old hat' stuff?
>> This message was also sent anonymously from my Tuta account
>
> a) It's missing a References header, so try harder next time.
> Hint: With OmniMix and an NNTP client that won't happen.

You don't even need OmniMix for that....

> b) Your non-anonymous tuta mail will never ever become
> anonymous by an additional remailer routing.
>
> All that demonstrates your cluelessness.

Cluelessness abounds, unfortunately. Sometimes the consequences of being
clueless are quite profound, even life-altering. More on that, below.

>> and I receive
>> encrypted messages via remailers also to my Tuta account.
>
> What a surprise! Remailers can send to email addresses.
> Praise the Lord!

Whatever will they think of next, huh?

>> The average emailer isn't going to be bothered with all that nym crap.
>> No need to be so paranoid!
>
> So go play elsewhere, jerk. This here is beyond your imagination.
> It's about reality, invisible looking through rose-tinted glasses.

When it comes to rose-tinted glasses, I can think of no place with a worse
case of this on Usenet than alt.sex.stories.d newsgroup. Something like 99%
of the posters in that NG are Google Groups users, posting from valid Gmail
addresses.

Sometimes, things can get /very/ real -- a good example of this took place
rather recently in alt.sex.stories.discussion (ASSD). Most of the discussion
in that NG was about the operation of the Alt Sex Stories Text Repository
(ASSTR). The ASSTR was setup to archive the text-only stories that had been
submitted over the years to the various text-only story groups in the
alt.sex hierarchy. Over the years, ASSTR has accepted stories in virtually
all genres, with almost no content rules. As a result, a fair amount of text
stories have been submitted with underage characters involving explicit sex.

Over the last few decades, there have been several court cases in the United
States, where people have been criminally convicted and sentenced to (long)
prison terms for transmitting 'obscenity'. The stories that led to these
convictions typically involved underage characters and explicit sex.

In part, because of these legal cases, many story-hosting sites have begun
to reject material with underage characters, leaving ASSTR and ASSD as the
only sites on the Net still willing to receive/host these.

>From time to time, there have been posters in ASSD trying to raise the alarm,
stating that it simply isn't safe to post non-anonymously any longer. These
posters have made entirely reasonable statements like:

* DO NOT announce your plans to break the law; and

* DO NOT post evidence of having done so from a traceable account; and

* DO NOT use file-sharing software (eg. BitTorrent) to distribute contraband.

These posters got no small amount of pushback from clueless, Google Groups-
using ASSD participants, whose arguments essentially boil down to:

* "They're not going to notice me."

* "It shouldn't be illegal"

* "The law is wrong, the courts are wrong", etc.

* Look at how many people have been posting in ASSD -- for years even -- and
there's been only been a small number of arrests, etc. (In other words,
the clear implication is that the odds of getting busted are on a par with
the odds of being hit by lightning.)

Well, wouldn't you know it, but somebody decided to ignore these rules, and
do it anyway... they mentioned an entire raft of things that should never
have been said in the open, let alone in the clear, from a traceable Gmail
account -- they admitted to:

* Hosting the ASSTR archive online, from a server located at home (if you
can believe it!)

* Wanting to move to a hosting service located in a jurisdiction that would
not comply with US or other demands from law enforcement (i.e. Russia)

Needless to say, lightning struck just a few days before Christmas... it was
apparently reported in another forum that they had been raided, arrested,
and the server seized.

IMO, obscenity laws are an anachronism, an artifact of the mid-to-late 19th
Century that belong in the trash bin. No government should have the ability
to censor what you read, and even more, what you write.

Re: THIS is why privacy is CRUCIAL

<9a69698fc3f37d33e0f82846c025ffea@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16584&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16584

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 18:01:42 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:01 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:40:53 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

snip
>IMO, obscenity laws are an anachronism, an artifact of the mid-to-late 19th
>Century that belong in the trash bin. No government should have the ability
>to censor what you read, and even more, what you write.

pacifists are powerless against activists . . . it's always been that way