From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 13:59:17 -0400
References: <uevcfb$2kglb$1@dont-email.me> <uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me> <54aghitsekep1l3dp609i0lqrpsnstkh4h@4ax.com> <ufcs7r$1d43g$17@dont-email.me> <ufevtj.nh0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ufepsi$2vol3$2@dont-email.me> <uff581.koo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <uffnko$36oi4$1@dont-email.me> <ufhdnk.133k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ufhc80$3jmrk$4@dont-email.me> <ufhtd7.fu4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ufhnlg$3mhia$1@dont-email.me> <ufi0ob.e30.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ko52ltFlfqU4@mid.individual.net> <ufk442$cvl9$2@dont-email.me> <ko8b36Fhdk6U2@mid.individual.net>
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:59 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

> Have you tried Calibre? It is multiplatform, and I'm sure it includes an
> epub reader that works in Windows.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibre_(software)

I agree with Carlos that there is likely no better document converting
software than Calibre freeware for multiplatform multi format support.

It even converts entire books to editable Microsoft Word, for God's sake.

It outputs 13 different formats, some of which (offhand) are mobi, epub,
pdf, amazon azw and azw3, pdf, docx and a bunch of other formats.

I've tested every free epub conversion software ever suggested on the
Windows PC newsgroups where I concur with Carlos that Calibre is the best.

Offhand, some of those epub conversion tools are...
<https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows>
<http://www.hamstersoft.com/free-ebook-converter/>
<http://lucidor.org/lucidor/>
<https://okular.kde.org/download.php>
<http://www.pdflite.com/epub-to-pdf/>
<http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html>
etc.

Epub conversion is easy.
It's reading out in text to speech that isn't as easy to find good apps.

My main question on this is what document-reader (text to speech) do people
on this newsgroup use to read out those epub format books verbally?

The reason I ask is I have relatives who are going blind and they need it.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ko8t1nFhdk7U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16623&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16623

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 00:52:39 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 22:52 UTC

On 2023-10-05 19:59, Wally J wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
>> Have you tried Calibre? It is multiplatform, and I'm sure it includes an
>> epub reader that works in Windows.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibre_(software)
>
> I agree with Carlos that there is likely no better document converting
> software than Calibre freeware for multiplatform multi format support.
>
> It even converts entire books to editable Microsoft Word, for God's sake.
>
> It outputs 13 different formats, some of which (offhand) are mobi, epub,
> pdf, amazon azw and azw3, pdf, docx and a bunch of other formats.
>
> I've tested every free epub conversion software ever suggested on the
> Windows PC newsgroups where I concur with Carlos that Calibre is the best.
>
> Offhand, some of those epub conversion tools are...
> <https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows>
> <http://www.hamstersoft.com/free-ebook-converter/>
> <http://lucidor.org/lucidor/>
> <https://okular.kde.org/download.php>
> <http://www.pdflite.com/epub-to-pdf/>
> <http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html>
> etc.
>
> Epub conversion is easy.
> It's reading out in text to speech that isn't as easy to find good apps.
>
> My main question on this is what document-reader (text to speech) do people
> on this newsgroup use to read out those epub format books verbally?
>
> The reason I ask is I have relatives who are going blind and they need it.

You will hardly find a free one that is really good. This is an area
under active research, and any good research team wants revenue.

I would, however, try Google's own system, whatever it is called.
Probably gratis, not free. They have the money and resources to make a
good app.

For instance, Kobo (belonging currently to Rakuten) I believe can read
epubs aloud in Android. But they also sell those same ebooks in some
audio format, and they are more expensive than the same epubs. So I
don't think they'll shoot their own foot by making a really good app
that reads ebooks.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.