From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: stopping and starting failover queues
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:54:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:54 UTC

Consider a queue which can run on several nodes for failover. However,
if all nodes are up, one node might be preferred. How can one force the
jobs in it to run on the preferred node? One can do stop/ queu /on on
the node where it is running, get it to fail over (repeat if necessary),
then do ENABLE AUTOSTART/QUEUES and/or START/QUEUE where it was stopped
(to get all queues running again). However, there must be a better way.

Re: stopping and starting failover queues

<4fae5027-c1ad-4a1c-b043-764f26884f4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16624&group=comp.os.vms#16624

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: stopping and starting failover queues
From: ulloa.ed...@gmail.com (Edgar Ulloa)
 by: Edgar Ulloa - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 03:02 UTC

El lunes, 16 de agosto de 2021 a las 5:54:08 UTC-5, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) escribió:
> Consider a queue which can run on several nodes for failover. However,
> if all nodes are up, one node might be preferred. How can one force the
> jobs in it to run on the preferred node? One can do stop/ queu /on on
> the node where it is running, get it to fail over (repeat if necessary),
> then do ENABLE AUTOSTART/QUEUES and/or START/QUEUE where it was stopped
> (to get all queues running again). However, there must be a better way.

Maybe it's not the best way but it works for me like this

Instead of sending it to the generic queue that contains the various nodes
I made the queue on the dedicated server and with that only the jobs sent to that queue will be executed on the dedicated node.
regards

Re: stopping and starting failover queues

<sgfeo6$j38$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16625&group=comp.os.vms#16625

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 07:59:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 07:59 UTC

In article <4fae5027-c1ad-4a1c-b043-764f26884f4fn@googlegroups.com>,
Edgar Ulloa <ulloa.edgar@gmail.com> writes:

> El lunes, 16 de agosto de 2021 a las 5:54:08 UTC-5, Phillip Helbig (undress=
> to reply) escribi=C3=B3:
> > Consider a queue which can run on several nodes for failover. However,=20
> > if all nodes are up, one node might be preferred. How can one force the=
> =20
> > jobs in it to run on the preferred node? One can do stop/ queu /on on=20
> > the node where it is running, get it to fail over (repeat if necessary),=
> =20
> > then do ENABLE AUTOSTART/QUEUES and/or START/QUEUE where it was stopped=
> =20
> > (to get all queues running again). However, there must be a better way.
>
> Maybe it's not the best way but it works for me like this
>
> Instead of sending it to the generic queue that contains the various nodes=
> =20
> I made the queue on the dedicated server and with that only the jobs sent t=
> o that queue will be executed on the dedicated node.
> regards

There is no generic queue pointing to more than one specific queue; it
is a single queue on more than one node. The former is good for
failover (if one SUBMITs and programs correctly) and load distribution;
the latter is only for failover and easier to implement.