From: murtaza....@REMOVETHISgmail.com (M G)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: I want to learn PGP
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:13:53 +0530
 by: M G - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 03:43 UTC

Hi,
Greetings,

Earlier I got this link
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

It explains encryption part using thunderbird

It does not explain decryption part , how to receive an encrypted email
and decrypt

Or thunderbird will do it automatically

Any video tutorials will be helpful

In the current scenario I want to learn encrypting and decrypting
emails using thunderbird, for gmail yahoo hotmail and others.

Thanks,
Regards.

Re: I want to learn PGP

<2488bdf0fc3c5fb3ee28097980138b49@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16676&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16676

From: J...@M (D)
Subject: Re: I want to learn PGP
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:32:51 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:32 UTC

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:13:53 +0530, M G <murtaza.i.gandhi@REMOVETHISgmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>Greetings,
>Earlier I got this link
>https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
>It explains encryption part using thunderbird
>It does not explain decryption part , how to receive an encrypted email
>and decrypt
>Or thunderbird will do it automatically
>Any video tutorials will be helpful
>In the current scenario I want to learn encrypting and decrypting
>emails using thunderbird, for gmail yahoo hotmail and others.
>Thanks,
>Regards.

hmm . . . (using Tor Browser 13.0.8)
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
>Bulk surveillance violates our fundamental rights and makes free speech risky.
>This guide will teach you a basic surveillance self-defense skill: email
>encryption. Once you've finished, you'll be able to send and receive emails
>that are scrambled to make sure a surveillance agent or thief intercepting your
>email can't read them. All you need is a computer with an Internet connection,
>an email account, and about forty minutes.
>Even if you have nothing to hide, using encryption helps protect the privacy of
>people you communicate with, and makes life difficult for bulk surveillance
>systems. If you do have something important to hide, you're in good company;
>these are the same tools that whistleblowers use to protect their identities
>while shining light on human rights abuses, corruption, and other crimes.
>In addition to using encryption, standing up to surveillance requires fighting
>politically for a reduction in the amount of data collected on us, but the
>essential first step is to protect yourself and make surveillance of your
>communication as difficult as possible. This guide helps you do that. It is
>designed for beginners, but if you already know the basics of GnuPG or are an
>experienced free software user, you'll enjoy the advanced tips and the guide
>to teaching your friends.
[end quoted excerpt]

using remailers for posting unencrypted plain text content to unmoderated
usenet newsgroups promotes free speech in the public forum; remailers can
be used for other purposes, but "whole message encryption" is the minimum
standard recommended . . . see http://www.danner-net.de/omom/tutorwme.htm

Re: I want to learn PGP

<uosn70$27c$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16781&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16781

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:14:24 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 04:14 UTC

On 1/18/24 21:43, M G wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> It does not explain decryption part , how to receive an encrypted email
> and decrypt
>
> Or thunderbird will do it automatically

Yes, Thunderbird will decrypt PGP (GPG) and S/MIME encrypted messages
automatically.

> In the current scenario I want to learn encrypting and decrypting
> emails using thunderbird,

Contemporary Thunderbird (since the inclusion of Enigmail) has made
basic encrypted email relatively painless to use day to day. Initial
setup and yearly (?) maintenance takes a little bit of time (low double
digit minutes once a year).

> for gmail yahoo hotmail and others.

Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail /web/ interfaces don't support encryption
directly. It is possible to send encrypted emails using them, but it is
non-intuitive and likely involves copying & pasting and / or an extension.

Google mail for work does support S/MIME, though I believe Thunderbird
has been unhappy with it for something like two years. Google made a
change and the Thunderbird I was using at the time didn't support the
change.

Google mail's support for S/MIME is only in the hosted corporate email
and only in the high end package when I last looked.

I have no idea about Yahoo or Hotmail.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: I want to learn PGP

<uotquh$ftbs$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16788&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16788

From: ste...@mailchuck.com (Stefan Claas)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:24:15 +0100
 by: Stefan Claas - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:24 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:
> Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail /web/ interfaces don't support encryption
> directly. It is possible to send encrypted emails using them, but it
> is non-intuitive and likely involves copying & pasting and / or an
> extension.

Many years ago Mailvelope was intodruced to the PGP community and
the learning curve is very low. It integrates, for example, with
Gmail nicely and has the best key server available.

https://mailvelope.com

Regards
Stefan
--
----Ed25519 Signature----
20d182b148dd915e99d9177193f0aadfd11597ffb043af54e039d08e966f3523