"I have just one word for you, my boy...plastics." -- from "The Graduate"

devel / comp.arch.embedded / Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

SubjectAuthor
* Openwrt on custom hardwarepozz
+* Re: Openwrt on custom hardwaredalai lamah
|+* Re: Openwrt on custom hardwarechrisq
||`- Re: Openwrt on custom hardwarepozz
|`* Re: Openwrt on custom hardwarepozz
| +- Re: Openwrt on custom hardwaredalai lamah
| `* Re: Openwrt on custom hardwareJack
|  `* Re: Openwrt on custom hardwareAnssi Saari
|   `- Re: Openwrt on custom hardwareDon Y
+- Re: Openwrt on custom hardwareTheo
+- Re: Openwrt on custom hardwareDavid Brown
`- Re: Openwrt on custom hardwareMichael Schwingen

1
Openwrt on custom hardware

<uhaq1g$jucc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1677&group=comp.arch.embedded#1677

From: pozzu...@gmail.com (pozz)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Openwrt on custom hardware
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 12:18:25 +0200
 by: pozz - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 10:18 UTC

Do you know of some open hardware that runs officialy openwrt?

I'll try to explain my needs. I have to develop a board that runs Linux
embedded for a VoIP application.
I need two Ethernet ports, LAN with active POE (where to connect a VoIP
phone) and WAN (maybe with passive POE, where to connect a router).

So, the IP traffic could be routed to the external router connected to
WAN or, internally, to a 4G modem.

So Linux should have three network interfaces: lan, wan and mobile.

It's a platform that seem very similar to a standard 4G router for SOHO
application, but I need to customize software and hardware (I need to
control some GPIO and UARTs).

Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.

The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
to custom electronics.

Any suggestions?

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<d7pxtkaec4v2$.1wlqzgoymztnm$.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1678&group=comp.arch.embedded#1678

From: antonio1...@hotmail.com (dalai lamah)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Openwrt on custom hardware
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:33:57 +0200
 by: dalai lamah - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 14:33 UTC

Un bel giorno pozz digitò:

> Do you know of some open hardware that runs officialy openwrt?
[...]
> Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
> how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
> with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
> AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.
>
> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
> to custom electronics.

What about Raspberry Pi? Many models are supported, including Zero and
compute modules (easier to integrate into other designs):

https://openwrt.org/toh/

--
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto.

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<uhdfj4$1hdmf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1679&group=comp.arch.embedded#1679

From: devz...@nospam.com (chrisq)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:38:27 +0000
 by: chrisq - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:38 UTC

On 10/25/23 14:33, dalai lamah wrote:
> Un bel giorno pozz digitò:
>
>> Do you know of some open hardware that runs officialy openwrt?
> [...]
>> Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
>> how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
>> with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
>> AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.
>>
>> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
>> to custom electronics.
>
> What about Raspberry Pi? Many models are supported, including Zero and
> compute modules (easier to integrate into other designs):
>
> https://openwrt.org/toh/

You might like to try these people. Have been using a 3 port box of
theirs, nanopi, running a variant of openwrt, for a while now. Just
worked out of the box.

https://www.friendlyelec.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=69

Not expensive and arrived within a few days. Usual disclaimer etc...

Chris

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<W8C*pHPtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1680&group=comp.arch.embedded#1680

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: 26 Oct 2023 13:53:16 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:53 UTC

pozz <pozzugno@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
> how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
> with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
> AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.

Are any of these platforms any good to you?
https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/soc

> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
> to custom electronics.

There's a SBC page:
https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_single-board-computers
and some of those are SOMs.

Also searching 'openwrt som' turns up some products.

Theo

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<uhfnb6$2577r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1681&group=comp.arch.embedded#1681

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:03:01 +0200
 by: David Brown - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 07:03 UTC

On 25/10/2023 12:18, pozz wrote:
> Do you know of some open hardware that runs officialy openwrt?
>
> I'll try to explain my needs. I have to develop a board that runs Linux
> embedded for a VoIP application.
> I need two Ethernet ports, LAN with active POE (where to connect a VoIP
> phone) and WAN (maybe with passive POE, where to connect a router).
>
> So, the IP traffic could be routed to the external router connected to
> WAN or, internally, to a 4G modem.
>
> So Linux should have three network interfaces: lan, wan and mobile.
>
> It's a platform that seem very similar to a standard 4G router for SOHO
> application, but I need to customize software and hardware (I need to
> control some GPIO and UARTs).

These are usually directly accessible on any platform with solid OpenWRT
support - regardless of how esoteric the components are.

> Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
> how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
> with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
> AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.
>
> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
> to custom electronics.
>
> Any suggestions?

For the cheapest SOM's, look for Raspberry Pi compute modules. If you
want something very solid with good long-term support, industrial
reliability and continued production for a decade or more, folks like
Toradex are a good option - but they cost significantly more.

An alternative might be to view the Linux board more flexibly, and have
your base board connected by USB. Put a USB hub chip on it along with a
couple of USB-Ethernet adaptors (combined devices exist, I believe), a
USB 4G modem, and an FTDI 4232H or other FTDI chip (for UARTs and
GPIOs). Then you can use any board running Linux - all the hardware you
need is on your board, and it is all controlled the same way from the
Linux system. USB2 based Ethernet is easily an order of magnitude
faster than you need for VOIP, and none of this needs drivers or OS
support outside of the standard kernel for the last decade or more.

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<slrnujo1rl.c0ep.news-1513678000@a-tuin.ms.intern>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1682&group=comp.arch.embedded#1682

From: news-151...@discworld.dascon.de (Michael Schwingen)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: 27 Oct 2023 18:54:45 GMT
 by: Michael Schwingen - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:54 UTC

On 2023-10-25, pozz <pozzugno@gmail.com> wrote:

> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
> to custom electronics.
>
> Any suggestions?

Just got this in my inbox today - sorry, no english page:

https://www.openpr.de/news/1252910/TQ-praesentiert-neuen-Single-Board-Computer.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3-W0k_EhA

Manufacturer page:

https://www.tq-group.com/en/products/tq-embedded/arm-architecture/mba8mp-ras314/

They claim armbian support - that should work OK as a starting point, unless
you are fixed on OpenWRT.

Depending on volume, you might take one of their SOMs and put it on a custom
base board that adds power-over-ethernet and other add-ons as required.

cu
Michael
--
Some people have no respect of age unless it is bottled.

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<uhnpum$bohk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1683&group=comp.arch.embedded#1683

From: pozzu...@gmail.com (pozz)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:36:42 +0100
 by: pozz - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 08:36 UTC

Il 25/10/2023 16:33, dalai lamah ha scritto:
> Un bel giorno pozz digitò:
>
>> Do you know of some open hardware that runs officialy openwrt?
> [...]
>> Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
>> how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
>> with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
>> AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.
>>
>> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
>> to custom electronics.
>
> What about Raspberry Pi? Many models are supported, including Zero and
> compute modules (easier to integrate into other designs):

Thanks for suggestion, as usual Raspberry is helpful for hobbyst and
prototype, but I'm worried about serious productions where you need a
product that can be purchased for several years.

In the past (around 3 years ago) I designed a product around CM1 that
now is not available anymore.

> https://openwrt.org/toh/

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<uhnq0v$bohl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1684&group=comp.arch.embedded#1684

From: pozzu...@gmail.com (pozz)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:37:55 +0100
 by: pozz - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 08:37 UTC

Il 26/10/2023 12:38, chrisq ha scritto:
> On 10/25/23 14:33, dalai lamah wrote:
>> Un bel giorno pozz digitò:
>>
>>> Do you know of some open hardware that runs officialy openwrt?
>> [...]
>>> Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
>>> how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
>>> with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
>>> AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.
>>>
>>> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
>>> to custom electronics.
>>
>> What about Raspberry Pi? Many models are supported, including Zero and
>> compute modules (easier to integrate into other designs):
>>
>> https://openwrt.org/toh/
>>

> You might like to try these people. Have been using a 3 port box of
> theirs, nanopi, running a variant of openwrt, for a while now. Just
> worked out of the box.
>
> https://www.friendlyelec.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=69
>
> Not expensive and arrived within a few days. Usual disclaimer etc...

Yeah, I found these folks too in my researches. I will try their
products a try. Maybe they could be available to re-design one of their
product with some custom hardware I need.

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<tdtjvz8pubzg$.1bmsw68lnycir.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1685&group=comp.arch.embedded#1685

From: antonio1...@hotmail.com (dalai lamah)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:09:13 +0100
 by: dalai lamah - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:09 UTC

Un bel giorno pozz digitò:

>> What about Raspberry Pi? Many models are supported, including Zero and
>> compute modules (easier to integrate into other designs):
>
> Thanks for suggestion, as usual Raspberry is helpful for hobbyst and
> prototype, but I'm worried about serious productions where you need a
> product that can be purchased for several years.
>
> In the past (around 3 years ago) I designed a product around CM1 that
> now is not available anymore.

As far as I know, CM3 should be backward compatible with CM1, or at least
very easily adaptable.

However, this is quite usual for these kind of modules, it doesn't matter
who makes them. I still remember some very disappointing experiences I've
had many years ago with some Bluetooth modules made by so-called
"respectable" manufacturers, and disappeared from Earth from one day to
another. Unless you use some very standard form factors such as PC-104 or
VPX (usually bigger and more expensive), you will face phase out.

At least the Raspberry foundation gives you an obsolescence statement for
their compute modules, for example they say that CM3+ will remain in
production until at least January 2028:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/compute-module-3-plus/

Besides, I believed that it was possible to buy the "bare" CPUs (in this
case the Broadcom BCM2837B0) to build your own boards, but apparently this
is not the case. These CPU do not even pop out if you search for them in
the Broadcom site! You can find some very sparse information online, but
basically it is all locked in between Broadcom and the Raspberry
foundation. Bummer.

--
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto.

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<1qjs8qq.14i6l8k1eq3d34N%pippo2@disney.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1686&group=comp.arch.embedded#1686

From: pip...@disney.com (Jack)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 16:36:45 +0100
z}RWr^Niy:dmv[B`Rw(Hn0`h<B.M^B+vSgQ<f*r2bEs/3BIW?TBVzw),G=6Z"N+Co0.Kkerj]-.:_0
BAgj9h1=$[V`*(Q%eTHm
 by: Jack - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 15:36 UTC

pozz <pozzugno@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il 25/10/2023 16:33, dalai lamah ha scritto:
> > Un bel giorno pozz digitò:
> >
> >> Do you know of some open hardware that runs officialy openwrt?
> > [...]
> >> Regarding the software, I could start from openwrt. However I don't know
> >> how to start with hardware. I saw some cheap platforms that run openwrt
> >> with schematics, but they usually use esoteric components, such as
> >> AllWinner or Broadcam CPUs.
> >>
> >> The best would be to use a well supported Linux SOM that could simplify
> >> to custom electronics.
> >
> > What about Raspberry Pi? Many models are supported, including Zero and
> > compute modules (easier to integrate into other designs):
>
> Thanks for suggestion, as usual Raspberry is helpful for hobbyst and
> prototype, but I'm worried about serious productions where you need a
> product that can be purchased for several years.
>
> In the past (around 3 years ago) I designed a product around CM1 that
> now is not available anymore.

pcengines.ch may have what you need.

Bye Jack
--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<sm0fs1hmp92.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1687&group=comp.arch.embedded#1687

From: anssi.sa...@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 19:44:35 +0200
sha1:GWOZXfC7h7uRXIsJMhlQgLVA2hA=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:44 UTC

pippo2@disney.com (Jack) writes:

> pcengines.ch may have what you need.

They end-of-lifed their APU boards since AMD EOLed the old SoC they were
using. They seem to be going out of business, at least the low power x86
board business, so it's pretty much last time buys only now.

Shame. I finally got off my lazy ass during the pandemic and built a
home router exactly the way I like it, with an APU board.

Re: Openwrt on custom hardware

<uie37b$15b9o$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1688&group=comp.arch.embedded#1688

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:29:42 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:29 UTC

On 11/7/2023 10:44 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
> pippo2@disney.com (Jack) writes:
>
>> pcengines.ch may have what you need.
>
> They end-of-lifed their APU boards since AMD EOLed the old SoC they were
> using. They seem to be going out of business, at least the low power x86
> board business, so it's pretty much last time buys only now.

That's the case with any component/assembly that is sourced outside of
your control; the more complex the assembly, the more dependencies you
incur. *If* your supplier is willing to take on the task of ensuring
a "compatible" offering is continually available, then you're golden.
If not, you're at as much risk as they are.

If you want long term availability, SOMEONE has to pay for it (the days
of second, third, fourth, etc. sources are long past). You can possibly
do a large "end-of-life buy" with scheduled delivery -- if your supplier
likes your credit and is happy with an unsecured commitment.

Or, you design YOUR device to be decoupled from the hardware as much as
possible.

[I don't bind a design to specific hardware until the design is complete
and running on some "development hardware". Otherwise, there is a risk
that the available hardware will change (or morph to unobtainium) before
the design is finished and you play wack-a-mole for catch up.]

> Shame. I finally got off my lazy ass during the pandemic and built a
> home router exactly the way I like it, with an APU board.

Pascal is pretty reasonable; I'm sure if you need a small quantity
he will try to oblige you. Or, help you move to some other (possibly
competing) product.