backups: always in season, never out of style.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVED

SubjectAuthor
* External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueCapt'n Butler
+* Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueAlan Browne
|`* Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueCapt'n Butler
| `- Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueAlan Browne
`* Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueJolly Roger
 `* Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueCapt'n Butler
  `* Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueJolly Roger
   +- Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid IssueCapt'n Butler
   `* Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDCapt'n Butler
    +- Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDJolly Roger
    `* Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDAnt
     `- Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDCapt'n Butler

1
External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<ui6gtj$3j6jt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16786&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16786

From: rhe...@tara.net (Capt'n Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:34:27 -0400
 by: Capt'n Butler - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 22:34 UTC

Got an issue running Disk Utility/First Aid on a 512GB external SATA SSD
storing jpg and jpeg pictures. OS is Sonoma 14.1.

Disk Utility shows the SSD structure as:
Top level: JMicron Generic Media
Second level down: Container Disk
Third level down: My Extra Pix

First Aid runs and returns clean reports on the top and third levels.
But running First Aid on the second level Container Disk returns an
error message:

“The repair cannot be performed because one or more volumes are mounted.
: (-69566)
Operation failed.”

If I manually unmount the Container Disk using Unmount on the menu bar,
First Aid runs and returns a clean report.

Upon exiting Disk Utility, the drive is no longer visible in Finder
until unplugged/re-plugged at which point it is usable again

Running Disk Utility again after re-plugging, the same Mounted error
repeats. Repeated entire sequence several times. Same deal.

Problem? If yes- ideas to fix?

--
Astronaut Ken Mattingly, RIP

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<FPz1N.213294$0UVe.188989@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16787&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16787

Subject: Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:44:53 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 22:44 UTC

On 2023-11-04 18:34, Capt'n Butler wrote:
> Got an issue running Disk Utility/First Aid on a 512GB external SATA SSD
> storing jpg and jpeg pictures. OS is Sonoma 14.1.
>
> Disk Utility shows the SSD structure as:
> Top level: JMicron Generic Media
> Second level down: Container Disk
> Third level down: My Extra Pix
>
> First Aid runs and returns clean reports on the top and third levels.
> But running First Aid on the second level Container Disk returns an
> error message:
>
> “The repair cannot be performed because one or more volumes are mounted.
> : (-69566)
> Operation failed.”
>
> If I manually unmount the Container Disk using Unmount on the menu bar,
> First Aid runs and returns a clean report.
>
> Upon exiting Disk Utility, the drive is no longer visible in Finder
> until unplugged/re-plugged at which point it is usable again
>
> Running Disk Utility again after re-plugging, the same Mounted error
> repeats. Repeated entire sequence several times. Same deal.
>
> Problem? If yes-  ideas to fix?

First off, what prompted you to do the First Aid in the first place?

Far from expert on Mac OS disk anything, but given my past frustration
with DikUtility and "Repair" , etc. I'd

1) Assume the disk is okay and all the files are okay.
2) Get another disk and copy the files over to it.
3) Verify that it's okay ( don't ask - just look at the folder structure
and see if randomly picked files are where they should be ). Personally
I'd write a program to tree search and compare - because: masochist.

4) If that's okay: option: re-format the SSD and re-copy the files back
to it from the 2nd drive.

Move on with life.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<kqo7aaFsqc6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16789&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16789

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 5 Nov 2023 00:52:26 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:52 UTC

On 2023-11-04, Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:
> Got an issue running Disk Utility/First Aid on a 512GB external SATA SSD
> storing jpg and jpeg pictures. OS is Sonoma 14.1.
>
> Disk Utility shows the SSD structure as:
> Top level: JMicron Generic Media
> Second level down: Container Disk
> Third level down: My Extra Pix
>
> First Aid runs and returns clean reports on the top and third levels.
> But running First Aid on the second level Container Disk returns an
> error message:
>
> “The repair cannot be performed because one or more volumes are
> mounted.
>: (-69566) Operation failed.”
>
> If I manually unmount the Container Disk using Unmount on the menu
> bar, First Aid runs and returns a clean report.
>
> Upon exiting Disk Utility, the drive is no longer visible in Finder
> until unplugged/re-plugged at which point it is usable again
>
> Running Disk Utility again after re-plugging, the same Mounted error
> repeats. Repeated entire sequence several times. Same deal.
>
> Problem? If yes- ideas to fix?

That's expected behavior. The volume needs to be unmounted to be
examined properly is all.

If you aren't using Time Machine to back up the data on your Mac and
external drives, you should start doing so immediately so that you don't
have this constant worry whether your data will go bye-bye.

<https://www.macworld.com/article/229391/how-to-make-sure-time-machine-backs-up-external-drives.html>

JR

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<ui8de2$1t0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16790&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16790

From: rhe...@tara.net (Capt'n Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 10:47:14 -0500
 by: Capt'n Butler - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:47 UTC

On 11/4/23 6:44 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-11-04 18:34, Capt'n Butler wrote:
>> Got an issue running Disk Utility/First Aid on a 512GB external SATA
>> SSD storing jpg and jpeg pictures. OS is Sonoma 14.1.
>>
>> Disk Utility shows the SSD structure as:
>> Top level: JMicron Generic Media
>> Second level down: Container Disk
>> Third level down: My Extra Pix
>>
>> First Aid runs and returns clean reports on the top and third levels.
>> But running First Aid on the second level Container Disk returns an
>> error message:
>>
>> “The repair cannot be performed because one or more volumes are
>> mounted. : (-69566)
>> Operation failed.”
>>
>> If I manually unmount the Container Disk using Unmount on the menu
>> bar, First Aid runs and returns a clean report.
>>
>> Upon exiting Disk Utility, the drive is no longer visible in Finder
>> until unplugged/re-plugged at which point it is usable again
>>
>> Running Disk Utility again after re-plugging, the same Mounted error
>> repeats. Repeated entire sequence several times. Same deal.
>>
>> Problem? If yes-  ideas to fix?
>
> First off, what prompted you to do the First Aid in the first place?
>
> Far from expert on Mac OS disk anything, but given my past frustration
> with DikUtility and "Repair" , etc. I'd
>
> 1) Assume the disk is okay and all the files are okay.
> 2) Get another disk and copy the files over to it.
> 3) Verify that it's okay ( don't ask - just look at the folder structure
> and see if randomly picked files are where they should be ).  Personally
> I'd write a program to tree search and compare - because: masochist.
>
> 4) If that's okay: option: re-format the SSD and re-copy the files back
> to it from the 2nd drive.
>
> Move on with life.

It was just a routine periodic integrity check. I'll give your
suggestions a try. thanks...

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<5SO1N.94918$pFl3.74861@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16791&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16791

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 10:51:28 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:51 UTC

On 2023-11-05 10:47, Capt'n Butler wrote:

> It was just a routine periodic integrity check. I'll give your
> suggestions a try. thanks...

See JR's explanation first.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<ui8e1l$22ol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16792&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16792

From: rhe...@tara.net (Capt'n Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 10:57:40 -0500
 by: Capt'n Butler - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:57 UTC

On 11/4/23 8:52 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-04, Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:
>> Got an issue running Disk Utility/First Aid on a 512GB external SATA SSD
>> storing jpg and jpeg pictures. OS is Sonoma 14.1.
>>
>> Disk Utility shows the SSD structure as:
>> Top level: JMicron Generic Media
>> Second level down: Container Disk
>> Third level down: My Extra Pix
>>
>> First Aid runs and returns clean reports on the top and third levels.
>> But running First Aid on the second level Container Disk returns an
>> error message:
>>
>> “The repair cannot be performed because one or more volumes are
>> mounted.
>> : (-69566) Operation failed.”
>>
>> If I manually unmount the Container Disk using Unmount on the menu
>> bar, First Aid runs and returns a clean report.
>>
>> Upon exiting Disk Utility, the drive is no longer visible in Finder
>> until unplugged/re-plugged at which point it is usable again
>>
>> Running Disk Utility again after re-plugging, the same Mounted error
>> repeats. Repeated entire sequence several times. Same deal.
>>
>> Problem? If yes- ideas to fix?
>
> That's expected behavior. The volume needs to be unmounted to be
> examined properly is all.

Yeah, but what I'm not understanding is why DU/FA doesn't auto-unmount
this disk prior to running the scan as it does with every drive.

> If you aren't using Time Machine to back up the data on your Mac and
> external drives, you should start doing so immediately so that you don't
> have this constant worry whether your data will go bye-bye.
>
> <https://www.macworld.com/article/229391/how-to-make-sure-time-machine-backs-up-external-drives.html>

My routine TM backups include this external USB drive that's always
connected to my iMac.

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<kqqii2FaipgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16793&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16793

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 5 Nov 2023 22:16:34 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 22:16 UTC

On 2023-11-05, Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:
> On 11/4/23 8:52 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-11-04, Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:
>>> Got an issue running Disk Utility/First Aid on a 512GB external SATA SSD
>>> storing jpg and jpeg pictures. OS is Sonoma 14.1.
>>>
>>> Disk Utility shows the SSD structure as:
>>> Top level: JMicron Generic Media
>>> Second level down: Container Disk
>>> Third level down: My Extra Pix
>>>
>>> First Aid runs and returns clean reports on the top and third
>>> levels. But running First Aid on the second level Container Disk
>>> returns an error message:
>>>
>>> “The repair cannot be performed because one or more volumes are
>>> mounted. : (-69566) Operation failed.”
>>>
>>> If I manually unmount the Container Disk using Unmount on the menu
>>> bar, First Aid runs and returns a clean report.
>>>
>>> Upon exiting Disk Utility, the drive is no longer visible in Finder
>>> until unplugged/re-plugged at which point it is usable again
>>>
>>> Running Disk Utility again after re-plugging, the same Mounted error
>>> repeats. Repeated entire sequence several times. Same deal.
>>>
>>> Problem? If yes- ideas to fix?
>>
>> That's expected behavior. The volume needs to be unmounted to be
>> examined properly is all.
>
> Yeah, but what I'm not understanding is why DU/FA doesn't auto-unmount
> this disk prior to running the scan as it does with every drive.

It probably tries, but some process is busy using it. For instance,
often Spotlight will be indexing a drive and it will fail to unmount as
a result.

JR

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue

<ui97u5$5v1v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16794&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16794

From: rhe...@tara.net (Capt'n Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 18:19:33 -0500
 by: Capt'n Butler - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 23:19 UTC

On 11/5/23 5:16 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-05, Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:

>>> That's expected behavior. The volume needs to be unmounted to be
>>> examined properly is all.
>>
>> Yeah, but what I'm not understanding is why DU/FA doesn't auto-unmount
>> this disk prior to running the scan as it does with every drive.
>
> It probably tries, but some process is busy using it. For instance,
> often Spotlight will be indexing a drive and it will fail to unmount as
> a result.

That makes sense.

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVED

<uib0ue$h0av$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16795&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16795

From: rhe...@tara.net (Capt'n Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVED
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 10:32:30 -0500
 by: Capt'n Butler - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 15:32 UTC

On 11/5/23 5:16 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-05, Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:

>>> That's expected behavior. The volume needs to be unmounted to be
>>> examined properly is all.
>>
>> Yeah, but what I'm not understanding is why DU/FA doesn't auto-unmount
>> this disk prior to running the scan as it does with every drive.
>
> It probably tries, but some process is busy using it. For instance,
> often Spotlight will be indexing a drive and it will fail to unmount as
> a result.

That was the likely culprit. It's running fine now!

--
There’s no problem so bad that you can’t make it worse.
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVED

<kqtrl7Frt85U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16796&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16796

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 7 Nov 2023 04:10:16 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 04:10 UTC

On 2023-11-06, Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:
> On 11/5/23 5:16 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Yeah, but what I'm not understanding is why DU/FA doesn't auto-unmount
>>> this disk prior to running the scan as it does with every drive.
>>
>> It probably tries, but some process is busy using it. For instance,
>> often Spotlight will be indexing a drive and it will fail to unmount as
>> a result.
>
> That was the likely culprit. It's running fine now!

Glad to hear it!

JR

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVED

<aHqdnbjD8rccANf4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16799&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16799

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 20:26:41 +0000
 by: Ant - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 20:26 UTC

Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:
> > It probably tries, but some process is busy using it. For instance,
> > often Spotlight will be indexing a drive and it will fail to unmount as
> > a result.

> That was the likely culprit. It's running fine now!

How did you tell Spotlight to stop indexing so you could unmount?
--
"We wait for the blessed hope of the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." ???Titus 2:13. Busier Mon. than usual after a bad overnite Z due 2 sicky allergy body after a quiet longer weekend.
| |o o| |

Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVED

<uigbpp$1lv3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16811&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16811

From: rhe...@tara.net (Capt'n Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:08:24 -0500
 by: Capt'n Butler - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:08 UTC

On 11/7/23 3:26 PM, Ant wrote:
> Capt'n Butler <rhett@tara.net> wrote:
>>> It probably tries, but some process is busy using it. For instance,
>>> often Spotlight will be indexing a drive and it will fail to unmount as
>>> a result.
>
>> That was the likely culprit. It's running fine now!
>
> How did you tell Spotlight to stop indexing so you could unmount?

I didn't-- I assume Spotlight completed indexing so First Aid could
unmount it as it was no longer being used.

Interestingly, after I made changes to-- or even just accessed-- the
Container Disk or its sub disk, I got the same FA error message.

Following a rest period-- I'm assuming after re-indexing was complete--
FA ran normally.

--
I am at the age where not finding good parking at an event is enough to
make me go home