The first version always gets thrown away.

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

SubjectAuthor
* Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris
+* Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsPaul
|`- Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris
+* Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsVanguardLH
|+* Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsVanguardLH
||`- Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris
|`- Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris
`* Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screwswasbit
 +- Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris
 `* Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris
  +- Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsPaul
  `* Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris
   `* Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsVanguardLH
    `- Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down ScrewsBoris

1
Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB141A68D2E204Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1653&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1653

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:23:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:23 UTC

Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when) the
laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually wouldn't
hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger. Finally, the
laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My daughter then put the
thing in her closet and bought a new laptop. Yikes.

She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.

I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour later,
the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but it still
wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's going on inside.

Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still wouldn't
boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be the cause and
to remove battery and try again with just charger and battery removed.

So I got the manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf

I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two panel
hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws removed
to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight. I have
tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't budge the
screws here.

https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R

I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work. Would a
computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are the points
shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these small screw heads?

TIA

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<utvnpf$2e5bu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1654&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1654

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:03:57 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 00:03 UTC

On 3/26/2024 7:23 PM, Boris wrote:
> Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
> purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when) the
> laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually wouldn't
> hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger. Finally, the
> laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My daughter then put the
> thing in her closet and bought a new laptop. Yikes.
>
> She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.
>
> I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour later,
> the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but it still
> wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's going on inside.
>
> Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
> button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still wouldn't
> boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be the cause and
> to remove battery and try again with just charger and battery removed.
>
> So I got the manual:
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf
>
> I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
> attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two panel
> hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws removed
> to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight. I have
> tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't budge the
> screws here.
>
> https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R
>
> I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work. Would a
> computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are the points
> shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these small screw heads?
>
> TIA

It doesn't seem to be pozidrive.

https://shop4fasteners.co.uk/blog/pozidriv-vs-phillips/

There's no warning here about those screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw414-g-Yt8

No warning about the screws here either. And this is
a home user doing it, and you can see he gives warnings
about things not going his way.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Spectre++X360+13-4005dx+Battery+Replacement/124882

https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/TWIMIHHsWs5iHypv.full

I would go for my socket-tool and the sharper Philips
head that fits in it. As it can create more drive than
a jeweler one would

I have held a jeweler tool using Vice Grips, to get
more turning power, but then again, I did ruin one
Jeweler Philips by turning it to the point the
shaft broke free of the tool body :-)

They probably have not put Blue Loktite on it,
and using Red Loktite would be silly (Red is permanent).
More likely, it was torqued on with a power tool.

Be careful around that battery. It sounds like you
already know about the danger of puncturing it.

Paul

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<zei3anxdhfvt$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1655&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1655

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:39:39 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:39 UTC

Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
> purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when) the
> laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually wouldn't
> hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger. Finally, the
> laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My daughter then put the
> thing in her closet and bought a new laptop. Yikes.
>
> She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.
>
> I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour later,
> the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but it still
> wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's going on inside.
>
> Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
> button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still wouldn't
> boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be the cause and
> to remove battery and try again with just charger and battery removed.
>
> So I got the manual:
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf
>
> I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
> attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two panel
> hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws removed
> to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight. I have
> tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't budge the
> screws here.
>
> https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R
>
> I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work. Would a
> computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are the points
> shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these small screw heads?
>
> TIA

The heads look thick enough that maybe you could get the tip of the jaws
of a vise grip pliers (jaw locking pliers using a thumb screw, squeeze
to lock, and use a lever to unlock). You'll want a small one. Once the
vise grip is attached to a screw head, don't turn by hand. Instead
press down on the pliers to keep from popping off, and use a crescent
wrench to twist the pliers.

If you get the ratching screwdriver set that has replaceable bits, a
good set will have different styles of Phillips heads. You want a sharp
ended bit, not one that is ground flat to fill the empty low space
inside a larger screw. The important part is the tangs of the tip
engage the sides of the slots in the screw as much as possible for the
depth of the slot. Too small a tip won't well engage the sides of the
slot. You want well defined and sharp edges on the bits flanges. An
old screwdriver has probably been rounded off.

Besides using the right-sized bit, some have ridges aka ribs on the
flanges to better grip the screw when under pressure during twisting.

https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/7515227-21.jpg
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2007/11/06/whats-the-difference-phillips-head-screwdriver-bits

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<1irspb3yv2lvp.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1656&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1656

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:50:57 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:50 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> [...]
> vise grip is attached to a screw head, don't turn by hand. Instead
> press down on the pliers to keep from popping off, and use a crescent
> wrench to twist the pliers.
>
> If you get the ratching screwdriver set that has replaceable bits, a
> good set will have different styles of Phillips heads. You want a sharp
> ended bit, not one that is ground flat to fill the empty low space
> inside a larger screw. The important part is the tangs of the tip
> engage the sides of the slots in the screw as much as possible for the
> depth of the slot. Too small a tip won't well engage the sides of the
> slot. You want well defined and sharp edges on the bits flanges. An
> old screwdriver has probably been rounded off.
>
> Besides using the right-sized bit, some have ridges aka ribs on the
> flanges to better grip the screw when under pressure during twisting.

After looking at your photo again, you sure that isn't a #2 Phillips
(PH2) sharp point screw? If PH2 is too big, try a PH1. There's even a
PHO tip.

https://images.app.goo.gl/TJcS1YmgE4D9QbnL8

PH2:
https://cdn.menardc.com/main/items/media/SURET001/ProductXLarge/2520623_nopac.jpg
PH1:
https://cdn.menardc.com/main/items/media/SURET001/ProductXLarge/2520622_nopack.jpg

PH0 and PH00: Hard to find alone. Get a precision screwdriver set.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1-Precision-Slotted-and-Philips-Screwdriver-71281H/302735272
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-6-Piece-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-with-Cushion-Grip-Handles-RHSDP01/319240867

To get enough pressure to prevent the bit from popping out of the screw
which damages the bit tip and the screw slot, press down on the
screwdriver with one hand, and turn with the other.

It is possible if the screw were cinched in with a pneumatic assembly
line screwdriver so tight that you might break the head off the screw.
Then, um, you're screwed (smirk). The screw is probably so small that
you couldn't drill down the center of it to use a spiral extractor.
Instead, and if none of the above helps, you could try using a Speedout
extractor. The Speedout must have enough left of the head to grab it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ontel-Speed-Out-Speed-Out-Cobalt-Extractor-4-Piece-1000369/207096720#overlay
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-MAX-IMPACT-Carbon-Steel-Extractor-Set-3-Piece-DWAMIEXTRACT3/313982175

Another factor is if there is debris at the bottom of the screw slot.
This prevents the bit from fully seating into the slot. Use a sewing
needle to ensure there is no debris at the bottom. I have encountered
screws that were improperly formed in the press, and there is a blob of
metal at the bottom of the slot. A drill might remove it, but don't use
a wood drill bit. Cobalt drill bits are usually the best for drilling
into hardened steel. Titanium bits only have a coating. Cobalt bits
have cobalt throughout. A carbide tip, the toughest available but are
more brittle, can work faster, but just the tip is hardened. Carbide
bits last longer than cobalt for drilling, but you can more easily snap
a carbide bit.

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB141D42CA5D06Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1657&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1657

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:52:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:52 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:utvnpf$2e5bu$1@dont-email.me:

> On 3/26/2024 7:23 PM, Boris wrote:
>> Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
>> purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when)
>> the laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually
>> wouldn't hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger.
>> Finally, the laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My
>> daughter then put the thing in her closet and bought a new laptop.
>> Yikes.
>>
>> She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.
>>
>> I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour
>> later, the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but
>> it still wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's
>> going on inside.
>>
>> Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
>> button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still
>> wouldn't boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be
>> the cause and to remove battery and try again with just charger and
>> battery removed.
>>
>> So I got the manual:
>>
>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf
>>
>> I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
>> attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two
>> panel hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws
>> removed to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight.
>> I have tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't
>> budge the screws here.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R
>>
>> I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work.
>> Would a computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are
>> the points shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these
>> small screw heads?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> It doesn't seem to be pozidrive.
>
> https://shop4fasteners.co.uk/blog/pozidriv-vs-phillips/

Never heard of pozidriv. Now I know, but you're right, these are not
pozidrive screws.

> There's no warning here about those screws.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw414-g-Yt8

Been there.

> No warning about the screws here either. And this is
> a home user doing it, and you can see he gives warnings
> about things not going his way.
>
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Spectre++X360+13-4005dx+Battery+Replace
> ment/124882
>
> https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/TWIMIHHsWs5iHypv.full
>
> I would go for my socket-tool and the sharper Philips
> head that fits in it. As it can create more drive than
> a jeweler one would

I may have one around here, but may have to wait 'till I get home. Not
sure what I have here or there.

> I have held a jeweler tool using Vice Grips, to get
> more turning power, but then again, I did ruin one
> Jeweler Philips by turning it to the point the
> shaft broke free of the tool body :-)

Wow. I did use a pair of pliers to turn the jeweler's screwdrive as I
push really hard on the rotating head of the screwdriver, but the
screwriver just 'cammed' out of the screw head. I couldn't apply enough
downward pressure to keep the Phillips point in the head.

> They probably have not put Blue Loktite on it,
> and using Red Loktite would be silly (Red is permanent).
> More likely, it was torqued on with a power tool.

Probably. There was no Loktite of any color oozing out of the threaded
hole.

> Be careful around that battery. It sounds like you
> already know about the danger of puncturing it.

I noticed that the battery does look a bit puffy/swollen.

Thanks.

> Paul

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB141D55665953Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1658&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1658

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:59:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:59 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:zei3anxdhfvt$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
>> purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when)
>> the laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually
>> wouldn't hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger.
>> Finally, the laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My
>> daughter then put the thing in her closet and bought a new laptop.
>> Yikes.
>>
>> She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.
>>
>> I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour
>> later, the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but
>> it still wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's
>> going on inside.
>>
>> Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
>> button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still
>> wouldn't boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be
>> the cause and to remove battery and try again with just charger and
>> battery removed.
>>
>> So I got the manual:
>>
>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf
>>
>> I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
>> attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two
>> panel hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws
>> removed to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight.
>> I have tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't
>> budge the screws here.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R
>>
>> I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work.
>> Would a computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are
>> the points shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these
>> small screw heads?
>>
>> TIA
>
> The heads look thick enough that maybe you could get the tip of the
> jaws of a vise grip pliers (jaw locking pliers using a thumb screw,
> squeeze to lock, and use a lever to unlock). You'll want a small one.
> Once the vise grip is attached to a screw head, don't turn by hand.
> Instead press down on the pliers to keep from popping off, and use a
> crescent wrench to twist the pliers.

Completely understand what you are saying, and I will try. I do have the
mini-vice grips (one of my favorite tools) at home (not here). I may
just go to the local hardware store where I'm at now and get a pair and
try.

> If you get the ratching screwdriver set that has replaceable bits, a
> good set will have different styles of Phillips heads.

Have one here, and will see if it has small enough bits.

You want a
> sharp ended bit, not one that is ground flat to fill the empty low
> space inside a larger screw. The important part is the tangs of the
> tip engage the sides of the slots in the screw as much as possible for
> the depth of the slot.

Yep.

Too small a tip won't well engage the sides of
> the slot. You want well defined and sharp edges on the bits flanges.
> An old screwdriver has probably been rounded off.
>
> Besides using the right-sized bit, some have ridges aka ribs on the
> flanges to better grip the screw when under pressure during twisting.
>
> https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/7515227-21.jpg
> https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2007/11/06/whats-the-difference-philli
> ps-head-screwdriver-bits

I see.

Thanks much for the reply.

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB141D7931FB8FBorisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1659&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1659

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 04:12:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 04:12 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:1irspb3yv2lvp.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> [...]
>> sharp ended bit, not one that is ground flat to fill the empty low
>> space inside a larger screw. The important part is the tangs of the
>> tip engage the sides of the slots in the screw as much as possible
>> for the depth of the slot. Too small a tip won't well engage the
>> sides of the slot. You want well defined and sharp edges on the bits
>> flanges. An old screwdriver has probably been rounded off.
>>
>> Besides using the right-sized bit, some have ridges aka ribs on the
>> flanges to better grip the screw when under pressure during twisting.
>>
>> https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/7515227-21.jpg
>> https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2007/11/06/whats-the-difference-phill
>> ips-head-screwdriver-bits
>
> After looking at your photo again, you sure that isn't a #2 Phillips
> (PH2) sharp point screw? If PH2 is too big, try a PH1. There's even

Well, the HP manual does call out PH2.0.

> https://images.app.goo.gl/TJcS1YmgE4D9QbnL8
>
> PH2:
> https://cdn.menardc.com/main/items/media/SURET001/ProductXLarge/2520623
> _nopac.jpg PH1:
> https://cdn.menardc.com/main/items/media/SURET001/ProductXLarge/2520622
> _nopack.jpg
>
> PH0 and PH00: Hard to find alone. Get a precision screwdriver set.
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1-Precision-Slotted-and-Philips-
> Screwdriver-71281H/302735272
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-6-Piece-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-wit
> h-Cushion-Grip-Handles-RHSDP01/319240867

I will check both links.

> To get enough pressure to prevent the bit from popping out of the
> screw which damages the bit tip and the screw slot, press down on the
> screwdriver with one hand, and turn with the other.

Understood. Did that with the jewelwer's screwdrivers, and a pair of
pliers, but no luck.

> It is possible if the screw were cinched in with a pneumatic assembly
> line screwdriver so tight that you might break the head off the screw.
> Then, um, you're screwed (smirk). The screw is probably so small that
> you couldn't drill down the center of it to use a spiral extractor.
> Instead, and if none of the above helps, you could try using a
> Speedout extractor. The Speedout must have enough left of the head to
> grab it.

Yeah, I suspect that the screws were installed with a pneumatic gun.
Yep, if I break them, I'm 'screwed'. Been there when rebuilding auto
engines.

> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ontel-Speed-Out-Speed-Out-Cobalt-Extractor-
> 4-Piece-1000369/207096720#overlay
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-MAX-IMPACT-Carbon-Steel-Extractor-Se
> t-3-Piece-DWAMIEXTRACT3/313982175

Thanks.

> Another factor is if there is debris at the bottom of the screw slot.
> This prevents the bit from fully seating into the slot. Use a sewing
> needle to ensure there is no debris at the bottom. I have encountered
> screws that were improperly formed in the press, and there is a blob
> of metal at the bottom of the slot. A drill might remove it, but
> don't use a wood drill bit. Cobalt drill bits are usually the best
> for drilling into hardened steel. Titanium bits only have a coating.
> Cobalt bits have cobalt throughout. A carbide tip, the toughest
> available but are more brittle, can work faster, but just the tip is
> hardened. Carbide bits last longer than cobalt for drilling, but you
> can more easily snap a carbide bit.

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<uu0rar$2pb0b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1662&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1662

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:10:35 +0000
 by: wasbit - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:10 UTC

On 26/03/2024 23:23, Boris wrote:
> Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
> purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when) the
> laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually wouldn't
> hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger. Finally, the
> laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My daughter then put the
> thing in her closet and bought a new laptop. Yikes.
>
> She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.
>
> I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour later,
> the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but it still
> wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's going on inside.
>
> Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
> button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still wouldn't
> boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be the cause and
> to remove battery and try again with just charger and battery removed.
>
> So I got the manual:
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf
>
> I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
> attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two panel
> hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws removed
> to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight. I have
> tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't budge the
> screws here.
>
> https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R
>
> I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work. Would a
> computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are the points
> shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these small screw heads?
>
> TIA

They are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws & probably put in
with thread sealer.
Use an appropriate sized (No 1 or No 2) Phillips screwdriver or even an
angled screwdriver & bit. One the thread seal is broken the screws will
undo easily.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB14264551D346Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1663&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1663

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 16:52:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 16:52 UTC

wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote in news:uu0rar$2pb0b$1@dont-email.me:

> On 26/03/2024 23:23, Boris wrote:
>> Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
>> purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when)
>> the laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually
>> wouldn't hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger.
>> Finally, the laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My
>> daughter then put the thing in her closet and bought a new laptop.
>> Yikes.
>>
>> She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.
>>
>> I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour
>> later, the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but
>> it still wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's
>> going on inside.
>>
>> Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
>> button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still
>> wouldn't boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be
>> the cause and to remove battery and try again with just charger and
>> battery removed.
>>
>> So I got the manual:
>>
>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf
>>
>> I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
>> attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two
>> panel hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws
>> removed to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight.
>> I have tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't
>> budge the screws here.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R
>>
>> I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work.
>> Would a computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are
>> the points shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these
>> small screw heads?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> They are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws & probably put in
> with thread sealer.
> Use an appropriate sized (No 1 or No 2) Phillips screwdriver or even
> an angled screwdriver & bit. One the thread seal is broken the screws
> will undo easily.

So a JIS screwdriver would fit the head of the screw better. As I
originally mentioned, my Phillips screwdriver didn't seem to go to the
bottom of the screw head slot. There just seemed to be a slight mis-
match between screwdriver point and screw slot. Learned something new.

https://postimg.cc/9DbYS7f6

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB142D74544774Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1664&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1664

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 04:10:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 04:10 UTC

wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote in news:uu0rar$2pb0b$1@dont-email.me:

> On 26/03/2024 23:23, Boris wrote:
>> Laptop is my daughter's HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC,
>> purchased in March, 2017. Some years ago (sorry, I don't know when)
>> the laptop was giving "extreme low battery" warnings, and eventually
>> wouldn't hold a charge, but it would boot up when using the charger.
>> Finally, the laptop wouldn't boot up even with the charger. My
>> daughter then put the thing in her closet and bought a new laptop.
>> Yikes.
>>
>> She brought this up to me today, and I said let me see it.
>>
>> I plugged it in, and the orange charging light went on. An hour
>> later, the charging light turned white. Ok, guess it's charged, but
>> it still wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a hint that anything's
>> going on inside.
>>
>> Per troubleshooting advice, I pulled the charger, and held the on/off
>> button for 30 seconds. Plugged the charger back in, but still
>> wouldn't boot up. Troubleshooting suggested that the battery may be
>> the cause and to remove battery and try again with just charger and
>> battery removed.
>>
>> So I got the manual:
>>
>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578.pdf
>>
>> I got the back panel off (had to use a hairdryer to get the adhesive
>> attached plastic caps off under the rubber feet, where the last two
>> panel hold down screws were), but I can't get the PM 2.0 x 3.0 screws
>> removed to get the battery out. They are in there very, very tight.
>> I have tried very, very hard, with lots of pressure. I just can't
>> budge the screws here.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/bZ70k20R
>>
>> I've always used jeweler's screwdrivers to do this type of work.
>> Would a computer technician screwdriver set make a difference? Are
>> the points shorter to get tightly into the short depth of these
>> small screw heads?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> They are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws & probably put in
> with thread sealer.
> Use an appropriate sized (No 1 or No 2) Phillips screwdriver or even
> an angled screwdriver & bit. One the thread seal is broken the screws
> will undo easily.

I was unable to get the screws out with the tools I have on hand, so I
went to a local computer repair shop in the area, "Nerdy Dave's". Dave
had the proper tools, and removed the screws with ease.

All screws did have a blue sealant on them.

I was now able to try and boot the machine without the battery, using
only the charger, which was my goal. Didn't boot up.

The HP battery has a sticker on it with "replace with HP spare 859356-
855". HP.com has discontinued the battery, and authorized resellers only
sell compatible batteries at $129. No thanks, not for a 'compatible'
battery. I'm not a fan of eBay, but I found an OEM's new, unopened HP
battery on eBay for $34. Wonder how old it is. It should arrive in
about a week. I'll report back then.

If the machine still won't boot up with a replacement battery, I'll get
the data off the SSD.

Thanks to all.

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<uu3s7g$3jv3u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1665&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1665

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 09:44:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 13:44 UTC

On 3/28/2024 12:10 AM, Boris wrote:

> I was unable to get the screws out with the tools I have on hand, so I
> went to a local computer repair shop in the area, "Nerdy Dave's". Dave
> had the proper tools, and removed the screws with ease.
>
> All screws did have a blue sealant on them.
>
> I was now able to try and boot the machine without the battery, using
> only the charger, which was my goal. Didn't boot up.
>
> The HP battery has a sticker on it with "replace with HP spare 859356-
> 855". HP.com has discontinued the battery, and authorized resellers only
> sell compatible batteries at $129. No thanks, not for a 'compatible'
> battery. I'm not a fan of eBay, but I found an OEM's new, unopened HP
> battery on eBay for $34. Wonder how old it is. It should arrive in
> about a week. I'll report back then.
>
> If the machine still won't boot up with a replacement battery, I'll get
> the data off the SSD.
>
> Thanks to all.

Batteries have to be fresh. Or they may not be a good/safe value.

Paul

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB149A0E7144E5nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1684&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1684

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:49:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:49 UTC

Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> [...]
>> will undo easily.
>>

> I was unable to get the screws out with the tools I have on hand, so I
> went to a local computer repair shop in the area, "Nerdy Dave's". Dave
> had the proper tools, and removed the screws with ease.
>
> All screws did have a blue sealant on them.
>
> I was now able to try and boot the machine without the battery, using
> only the charger, which was my goal. Didn't boot up.
>
> The HP battery has a sticker on it with "replace with HP spare 859356-
> 855". HP.com has discontinued the battery, and authorized resellers only
> sell compatible batteries at $129. No thanks, not for a 'compatible'
> battery. I'm not a fan of eBay, but I found an OEM's new, unopened HP
> battery on eBay for $34. Wonder how old it is. It should arrive in
> about a week. I'll report back then.
>
> If the machine still won't boot up with a replacement battery, I'll get

The replacement battery arrived a few days ago. This is it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364525829384

The markings on the replacement battery are nearly identical to those on
the original battery. I've attached a photo of both, side by side, for
comparison. Note that the old battery has a mfg. date of March 2017, and
the new battery has a mfg. date of August 2023. The old battery has a TIS
(?) number, and two, square silver stickers on each bottom side. The new
battery has none of these three items.

The new battery was difficult to connect because the cable was 1/8" longer
than the old battery's cable, and it also had stiff shrink tubing on part
of the cable. I considered cutting the shrink tubing off, but with some
forceful contortionist bending, I was able to compactly stuff the cable
such that the battery fit, and secure the bottom panel, flush.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/BjNMSrQ

Once the new battery was charged up, the laptop booted up just fine. I
disconnected the charger, checked all Windows settings, installed waiting
updates, and then surfed for a few hours to see how the battery held up
under use. After one hour, battery was down to 90%, and after two hours,
battery was down to 81%. I left it alone, and checked on the battery at 9
p.m., it was at 77%. The laptop put itself to sleep, and I woke it up
about 15 hours later. Battery was at 70%. I'll give it back to my
daughter and we'll see how it performs under her regular use.

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<19qjm76ycyobw$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1685&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1685

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:47:19 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 03:47 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

> Once the new battery was charged up, the laptop booted up just fine. I
> disconnected the charger, checked all Windows settings, installed waiting
> updates, and then surfed for a few hours to see how the battery held up
> under use. After one hour, battery was down to 90%, and after two hours,
> battery was down to 81%. I left it alone, and checked on the battery at 9
> p.m., it was at 77%. The laptop put itself to sleep, and I woke it up
> about 15 hours later. Battery was at 70%. I'll give it back to my
> daughter and we'll see how it performs under her regular use.

Hint to her that you want something more than a tie on Father's Day.
Also, remind her to cycle the battery if she's going to leave the laptop
stowed in a closet for months. Add a reminder to her calendar.

Re: Hard to Remove PM 2.0 x 3.0 Battery Hold Down Screws

<XnsB149D5838E1E5nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1686&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1686

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 03:59:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 03:59 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:19qjm76ycyobw$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Once the new battery was charged up, the laptop booted up just fine. I
>> disconnected the charger, checked all Windows settings, installed waiting
>> updates, and then surfed for a few hours to see how the battery held up
>> under use. After one hour, battery was down to 90%, and after two hours,
>> battery was down to 81%. I left it alone, and checked on the battery at 9
>> p.m., it was at 77%. The laptop put itself to sleep, and I woke it up
>> about 15 hours later. Battery was at 70%. I'll give it back to my
>> daughter and we'll see how it performs under her regular use.
>
> Hint to her that you want something more than a tie on Father's Day.
> Also, remind her to cycle the battery if she's going to leave the laptop
> stowed in a closet for months. Add a reminder to her calendar.

She's a great daughter (one of four adult kids) and always does more than I
wish she would for Mom and Dad on all holidays.

She was so excited to get her laptop back. (She was using a Microsoft
Surface, and just didn't like it.) She will now use this HP laptop as her
daily driver.

Many thanks.