From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: For what reason did Apple design the primitive iPhone to be crippled when it comes to ringtone formats?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 00:57:34 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 23:57 UTC

It's a well-known fact the iPhone is crippled compared to Android in terms
of what ringtone formats iOS supports... where that is simply a known fact.

The question is why?

*Why did Apple design iOS to be crippled in terms of ringtone formats?*

What's the advantage, to Apple, of crippling something that simple, and
that useful, and that obvious - which didn't need to be crippled at all?

Why?

FACTS:
<https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/android-basics-add-your-own-ringtones-notification-sounds-0169520/>
"MP3, M4A, WAV, and OGG formats are all natively supported by Android,
so practically any audio file you could download will work."

<https://droidrant.com/what-file-type-does-android-use-for-ringtones/>
"Android can use a wide range of audio files, though it recommends MP3
and WAV files. AAC files will not work with Android, but you can
convert them to MP3 or WAV format using a converter."

REFERENCE:
*personalized ringtone* by badgolferman Aug 19, 2022, 2:56:40 AM
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/y3BKLayCqyA>
--
I'm on this newsgroup for two reasons only - one of which is to learn and
teach others about iOS and the other is to show iKooks for what they are.

Re: For what reason did Apple design the primitive iPhone to be crippled when it comes to ringtone formats?

<1q6dnX1EkfpAmpr-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1690&group=comp.mobile.ipad#1690

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 22:26:58 -0700
Subject: Re: For what reason did Apple design the primitive iPhone to be
crippled when it comes to ringtone formats?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: nos...@nospam.com (John)
 by: John - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 05:26 UTC

On 8/24/2022 4:57 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> It's a well-known fact the iPhone is crippled compared to Android in terms
> of what ringtone formats iOS supports... where that is simply a known fact.
>
> The question is why?
>
> *Why did Apple design iOS to be crippled in terms of ringtone formats?*
>
> What's the advantage, to Apple, of crippling something that simple, and
> that useful, and that obvious - which didn't need to be crippled at all?
>
> Why?
>
> FACTS:
> <https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/android-basics-add-your-own-ringtones-notification-sounds-0169520/>
> "MP3, M4A, WAV, and OGG formats are all natively supported by Android,
>  so practically any audio file you could download will work."
>
> <https://droidrant.com/what-file-type-does-android-use-for-ringtones/>
> "Android can use a wide range of audio files, though it recommends MP3
>  and WAV files. AAC files will not work with Android, but you can
>  convert them to MP3 or WAV format using a converter."
>
> REFERENCE:
> *personalized ringtone* by badgolferman Aug 19, 2022, 2:56:40 AM
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/y3BKLayCqyA>

No problem with ringtones on this end.

Re: For what reason did Apple design the primitive iPhone to be crippled when it comes to ringtone formats?

<jmpiujFbq9gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1695&group=comp.mobile.ipad#1695

Followup: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
crippled when it comes to ringtone formats?
Date: 25 Aug 2022 15:31:31 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 15:31 UTC

On 2022-08-25, John <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> No problem with ringtones on this end.

Likewise, I've created hundreds of ringtones on my iPhone easily and for
free. These trolls are just lame.

JR