"Thank heaven for startups; without them we'd never have any advances." -- Seymour Cray

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

SubjectAuthor
* Not getting mail/calendar alertsConnor Shannon
+- Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsPercival John Hackworth
+* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsAlan Browne
|`* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsSn!pe
| +* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsConnor Shannon
| |`* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsDavid Ritz
| | `- Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsConnor Shannon
| +* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsAlan Browne
| |`* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsSn!pe
| | +- Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsAlan Browne
| | `- Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsJolly Roger
| `- Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsJolly Roger
+* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsJolly Roger
|`* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsConnor Shannon
| +* Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsJohn
| `- Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsJolly Roger
`- Re: Not getting mail/calendar alertsJohn

1
Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<70bc577d-e5c1-46c2-88cd-c5c8396c1143n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16939&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16939

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:20:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Not getting mail/calendar alerts
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 05:20 UTC

Hi.

My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.

I'm using up to date Sonoma.

I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from short alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked, but now even that isn't working.

any ideas??

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<kt0uusFtivlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16940&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16940

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts
Date: 2 Dec 2023 14:57:32 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:57 UTC

On Dec 1, 2023 at 9:20:43 PM PST, "Connor Shannon" <cshannon1898@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar reminders
> or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little window. THE
> Calendar doesn't do anything.
>
> I'm using up to date Sonoma.
>
> I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't figure
> out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from short alerts to
> staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked, but now even that isn't
> working.
>
> any ideas??

Usually, not getting Notifications is a function of the app not having
permission in the Notification System Preference. I recently deleted and
re-installed an app that mirrors the text messages sent to my phone. It
woudn't display a "badge" of the number of texted recieved nor display a
banner or alert when I got a text. Once I went into the System
Preferences>Notifications option, selected the App and enabled banners and
badges, it worked as before.

Check that option out. I'll bet it's disabled.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<PBJaN.86842$zh16.12622@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16941&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16941

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:14:22 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:14 UTC

On 2023-12-02 00:20, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
>
> I'm using up to date Sonoma.
>
> I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from short alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked, but now even that isn't working.

Review Mac System Settings | Notification Settings | Calendar

Review Calendar Settings | Alerts

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<1ql4gr5.154x13ziytj39N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16942&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16942

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:37:19 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:37 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> On 2023-12-02 00:20, Connor Shannon wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
> > reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little
> > window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
> >
> > I'm using up to date Sonoma.
> >
> > I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't
> > figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from short
> > alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked, but now
> > even that isn't working.
> >

> Review Mac System Settings | Notification Settings | Calendar
>
> Review Calendar Settings | Alerts

I find that many odd glitches like this respond well to a reboot.
MacOS is no longer bomb-proof the way it used to be back in
iSteve's day.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just said "Klaatu barada nikto."

Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<0bf937e6-ba4a-4f7a-81f8-c7378720a25en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16943&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16943

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:03:54 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:03 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 9:37:24 AM UTC-8, Sn!pe wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2023-12-02 00:20, Connor Shannon wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
> > > reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little
> > > window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
> > >
> > > I'm using up to date Sonoma.
> > >
> > > I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't
> > > figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from short
> > > alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked, but now
> > > even that isn't working.
> > >

> > Review Mac System Settings | Notification Settings | Calendar
> >
> > Review Calendar Settings | Alerts
> >
> I find that many odd glitches like this respond well to a reboot.
> MacOS is no longer bomb-proof the way it used to be back in
> iSteve's day.

Hi everybody like I said I checked all the settings. In the pgms the Alerts settings just say WHEN to make them you actually turn alerts on and off in macOS settings. I have them turned on for Mail and Calendar and I say I want both little banners plus sounds but I only get sounds on Mail and no banners on either pgm.

Snipe yes I've restarted the MacBook sometimes and that has worked for a while but we were out of town for Thanksgiving so it was completely turned off and I just started it up again a few days ago. I guess I could try that again...

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<wQKaN.199594$_Oab.14304@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16944&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16944

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:38:20 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:38 UTC

On 2023-12-02 12:37, Sn!pe wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-12-02 00:20, Connor Shannon wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
>>> reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little
>>> window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
>>>
>>> I'm using up to date Sonoma.
>>>
>>> I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't
>>> figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from short
>>> alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked, but now
>>> even that isn't working.
>>>

>> Review Mac System Settings | Notification Settings | Calendar
>>
>> Review Calendar Settings | Alerts
>>

> I find that many odd glitches like this respond well to a reboot.
> MacOS is no longer bomb-proof the way it used to be back in
> iSteve's day.

MacOS bomb-proof at any time? ROFL!

I actually find it far more stable now than when I first got a Mac in
2007 (or 008). The OS was Tiger IIRC.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<1ql4kye.96eq7r76568mN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16945&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16945

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:48:32 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:48 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> On 2023-12-02 12:37, Sn!pe wrote:
> > Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> >> Review Mac System Settings | Notification Settings | Calendar
> >>
> >> Review Calendar Settings | Alerts
> >>

> > I find that many odd glitches like this respond well to a reboot.
> > MacOS is no longer bomb-proof the way it used to be back in
> > iSteve's day.
> >

> MacOS bomb-proof at any time? ROFL!
>
> I actually find it far more stable now than when I first got a Mac in
> 2007 (or 008). The OS was Tiger IIRC.

I started with Panther. Yes, I found that and most later versions very
rarely needed a reboot until quite recently. I do think that standards
have dropped since iSteve died.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just said "Klaatu barada nikto."

Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<REMaN.56343$_f8d.8475@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16946&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16946

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:42:25 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 20:42 UTC

On 2023-12-02 14:48, Sn!pe wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-12-02 12:37, Sn!pe wrote:
>>> I find that many odd glitches like this respond well to a reboot.
>>> MacOS is no longer bomb-proof the way it used to be back in
>>> iSteve's day.
>>>

>> MacOS bomb-proof at any time? ROFL!
>>
>> I actually find it far more stable now than when I first got a Mac in
>> 2007 (or 008). The OS was Tiger IIRC.
>>

> I started with Panther. Yes, I found that and most later versions very
> rarely needed a reboot until quite recently. I do think that standards
> have dropped since iSteve died.

I would say it crested around 2018 - when it seemed they were always
rushing to get all the products up to new features by the fall and they
were shipping poorly tested code.

Since then (IMO) s/w quality has improved. On my prior iMac I would go
upwards of 90 days between re-boots. Yet to be seen on the new (M3)
iMac - and my UPS needs a new batt so crashed Thursday during some line
voltage glitches.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<kt1p4cF561pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16947&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16947

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 2 Dec 2023 22:24:12 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:24 UTC

On 2023-12-02, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-12-02 00:20, Connor Shannon wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
>> > reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little
>> > window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
>> >
>> > I'm using up to date Sonoma.
>> >
>> > I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't
>> > figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from short
>> > alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked, but now
>> > even that isn't working.
>>
>> Review Mac System Settings | Notification Settings | Calendar
>>
>> Review Calendar Settings | Alerts
>
> I find that many odd glitches like this respond well to a reboot.
> MacOS is no longer bomb-proof the way it used to be back in
> iSteve's day.

macOS was never bomb proof.

JR

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<kt1p8uF561pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16948&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16948

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 2 Dec 2023 22:26:38 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:26 UTC

On 2023-12-02, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>> > I find that many odd glitches like this respond well to a reboot.
>> > MacOS is no longer bomb-proof the way it used to be back in
>> > iSteve's day.
>>
>> MacOS bomb-proof at any time? ROFL!
>>
>> I actually find it far more stable now than when I first got a Mac in
>> 2007 (or 008). The OS was Tiger IIRC.
>
> I started with Panther. Yes, I found that and most later versions very
> rarely needed a reboot until quite recently.

I started with the Mac SE.

I have machines running the latest that haven't had reboots in months
and months, and run without issue.

> I do think that standards have dropped since iSteve died.

Nope. Apple's client base has grown exponentially, and small bugs
naturally affect more people as a result.

JR

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<kt1p9uF561pU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16949&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16949

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 2 Dec 2023 22:27:11 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:27 UTC

On 2023-12-02, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
> reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little
> window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
>
> I'm using up to date Sonoma.
>
> I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't
> figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from
> short alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked,
> but now even that isn't working.
>
> any ideas??

Do you have a Focus / Do Not Disturb turned on?

JR

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<86944n6r-r412-r1n3-n42o-07os656n5476@zvaqfcevat.pbz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16950&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16950

From: dri...@mindspring.com (David Ritz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:02:57 -0600
 by: David Ritz - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:02 UTC

On Saturday, 02 December 2023 10:03 -0800,
in article <0bf937e6-ba4a-4f7a-81f8-c7378720a25en@googlegroups.com>,
Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody like I said I checked all the settings. In the pgms the
> Alerts settings just say WHEN to make them you actually turn alerts
> on and off in macOS settings. I have them turned on for Mail and
> Calendar and I say I want both little banners plus sounds but I only
> get sounds on Mail and no banners on either pgm.

One is not looking for "Alerts." One is looking for the Notifications
pane in the System Settings. It is here where one is able to control
how various applications handle notifications, including Mail.app and
Messages.app. Here one is able to turn notifications on and off, and
select the type(s) of notifications one wishes to receive, both
visual and audible..

--
David Ritz <dritz@mindspring.com>
Be kind to animals; kiss a shark.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<1575d127-8f76-467a-80e3-f7de545129a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16951&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16951

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:10:32 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 03:10 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 2:27:17 PM UTC-8, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-12-02, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
> > reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little
> > window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
> >
> > I'm using up to date Sonoma.
> >
> > I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't
> > figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from
> > short alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked,
> > but now even that isn't working.
> >
> > any ideas??
> Do you have a Focus / Do Not Disturb turned on?

Thank you, that was the problem! I found it and it was on so I turned it off and then set a Calendar task for two minutes from now and said "At time of event" and it pinged a couple of minutes later.

But now I wonder how Do Not Disturb got turned on??? I have it set for 10 pm to 8 am everyday and I know that works b'cuz if I'm reading on my iPad at 10 pm a little note comes up. So why was it on at 7 pm??

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<52316656-8765-41a0-a22e-ac0142da9804n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16952&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16952

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:14:32 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 03:14 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 3:03:04 PM UTC-8, David Ritz wrote:
> On Saturday, 02 December 2023 10:03 -0800,
> in article <0bf937e6-ba4a-4f7a...@googlegroups.com>,
> Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody like I said I checked all the settings. In the pgms the
> > Alerts settings just say WHEN to make them you actually turn alerts
> > on and off in macOS settings. I have them turned on for Mail and
> > Calendar and I say I want both little banners plus sounds but I only
> > get sounds on Mail and no banners on either pgm.
> One is not looking for "Alerts." One is looking for the Notifications
> pane in the System Settings. It is here where one is able to control
> how various applications handle notifications, including Mail.app and
> Messages.app. Here one is able to turn notifications on and off, and
> select the type(s) of notifications one wishes to receive, both
> visual and audible..
>
> --
> David Ritz <dr...@mindspring.com>
> Be kind to animals; kiss a shark.

No it's both. In the program Settings there is Alerts and in the System Settings there is Notifications. Like I said I had Alerts turned on in Calendar and Calendar and Mail turned on in Notifications (I mentioned macOS settings). Also some other pgms have Notifications on but mostly I wanted Mail and Calendar to work so I haven't looked at the others recently.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<u4oomi5if3niv11qpfj5krl0putrc93a8b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16954&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16954

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 11:04:01 +0000
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:04 UTC

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:20:43 -0800 (PST), Connor Shannon
<cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar reminders or mail.

Nor does mine.

> any ideas??

Have someone actually send you some emails?

Use your keys and mousey to put lots of "events" into your calendar
at future times then wait for the passage of Time to trigger them?

Have friends and family who like you and want to communicate with you
and to make plans that include you?

I actually found a way to turn off the notifications thingie once but
I'm not entirely sure how nor why I bothered as I never got any and
I'm sure I don't know how to turn it back on; it's been a few years.

I could, of course do the second suggestion above quite easily even
without the dubious pleasures of planning some interacting with humans
and I suppose I could always surprise myself with emails I sent myself
on delay but even *I* don't want to talk to me so I don't bother.

I'm not being very helpful, am I?

Sorry. I think I need breakfast. Also, it's Winter.

J.

N.B. "Events" can be as simple as "Take your pills", "Eat something",
"There's flavoured drinks in the fridge", "Shopping might be an idea",
"The sheep need more rutabagles" and "Have you thought of getting some
sleep?", they don't have to involve hugely complicated panning
sessions with multiple organisations and individuals. The Calendar
program doesn't care and the Mac is fairly agnostic. They can even be
fake, unreal, made-up stuff! Honestly, they can.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<h5oomihsjaddmi2hmtrn62ver0b8thrijq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16955&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16955

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 11:04:19 +0000
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:04 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:10:32 -0800 (PST), Connor Shannon
<cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 2:27:17?PM UTC-8, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-12-02, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
>> > reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a little
>> > window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
>> >
>> > I'm using up to date Sonoma.
>> >
>> > I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and can't
>> > figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it from
>> > short alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it worked,
>> > but now even that isn't working.
>> >
>> > any ideas??
>> Do you have a Focus / Do Not Disturb turned on?
>
>Thank you, that was the problem! I found it and it was on so I turned it off and then set a Calendar task for two minutes from now and said "At time of event" and it pinged a couple of minutes later.
>
>But now I wonder how Do Not Disturb got turned on??? I have it set for 10 pm to 8 am everyday and I know that works b'cuz if I'm reading on my iPad at 10 pm a little note comes up. So why was it on at 7 pm??

Timezone issue?
Regionalisation setting changed by something?

J.

<1ql5uq4.53wqnl3js3geN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16956&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16956

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: User-Agent: header (was: Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts)
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:41:17 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:41 UTC

John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

Interesting.

Does Forte Agent permit altering headers (other than X-Headers)?

[subject changed]

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just said "Klaatu barada nikto."

Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Re: Not getting mail/calendar alerts

<kt3qioFlshfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16958&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16958

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 3 Dec 2023 17:01:12 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 17:01 UTC

On 2023-12-03, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 2:27:17 PM UTC-8, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-12-02, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > My MacBook doesn't put up little alerts on the screen for calendar
>> > reminders or mail. At least mail beeps but it doesn't put up a
>> > little window. THE Calendar doesn't do anything.
>> >
>> > I'm using up to date Sonoma.
>> >
>> > I've looked at the settings in the pgms and in Mac settings and
>> > can't figure out what's wrong. I think a while back if I changed it
>> > from short alerts to staying on the screen until I clicked it it
>> > worked, but now even that isn't working.
>> >
>> > any ideas??
>
>> Do you have a Focus / Do Not Disturb turned on?
>
> Thank you, that was the problem!

Welcome.

> I found it and it was on so I turned it off and then set a Calendar
> task for two minutes from now and said "At time of event" and it
> pinged a couple of minutes later.
>
> But now I wonder how Do Not Disturb got turned on??? I have it set for
> 10 pm to 8 am everyday and I know that works b'cuz if I'm reading on
> my iPad at 10 pm a little note comes up. So why was it on at 7 pm??

Maybe you accidentally enabled it, or maybe just a glitch.

JR