"Don't fear the pen. When in doubt, draw a pretty picture." -- Baker's Third Law of Design.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

SubjectAuthor
* Samsung text to speech, how to remove?Yousuf Khan
+- Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?John Doe
+* Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?nospam
+- Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?John Doe
`* Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?Joe Beanfish
 `- Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?VanguardLH

1
Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

<qISdnTIpZuM-S1H9nZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16964&group=comp.mobile.android#16964

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com (Yousuf Khan)
Subject: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:23:48 -0400
 by: Yousuf Khan - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 17:23 UTC

All of a sudden my phone is announcing the names of people who are
calling me or texting me. I don't want anyone knowing who people
contacting me are, so I've had it set to keep all notifications generic
for ages. Then all of a sudden, without me doing anything (perhaps a
recent phone update?) my phone is tattletaling on me. I think it may be
a new Samsung piece of software that was installed without my
permission, but since they come in with updates, I got no choice. I
found a setting called "Read caller ID aloud" and set it to off, but
it's still doing it (typical)! How do I uninstall this piece of shit?

Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

<saj0mt$36e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16967&group=comp.mobile.android#16967

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:46:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:46 UTC

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> All of a sudden my phone is announcing the names of people who are
> calling me or texting me. I don't want anyone knowing who people
> contacting me are, so I've had it set to keep all notifications generic
> for ages. Then all of a sudden, without me doing anything (perhaps a
> recent phone update?) my phone is tattletaling on me.

Sounds like good situational comedy...

Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

<1o2ct63r0przc.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16968&group=comp.mobile.android#16968

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 19:22:44 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 00:22 UTC

Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

> All of a sudden my phone is announcing the names of people who are
> calling me or texting me. I don't want anyone knowing who people
> contacting me are, so I've had it set to keep all notifications generic
> for ages. Then all of a sudden, without me doing anything (perhaps a
> recent phone update?) my phone is tattletaling on me. I think it may be
> a new Samsung piece of software that was installed without my
> permission, but since they come in with updates, I got no choice. I
> found a setting called "Read caller ID aloud" and set it to off, but
> it's still doing it (typical)! How do I uninstall this piece of shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5AHVzDG0j4

That mentions the "Read caller names aloud", but it also says it only
works with a Bluetooth speaker or headset. Are you using a BT device
for where to play the audio?

For callers you don't know, and for those that have no CName data, just
the CID (caller ID of phone number), do you actually hear your phone
announcing "Call from 525 555 5252"? Or do you hear a name? Most calls
don't have a CNAME record, so all you get is the caller's phone number.
If you are hearing names aloud, perhaps that is for callers that are in
your Contacts list, not for non-contact callers.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/enable-text-to-voice-android-caller-id-playback/
https://itstillworks.com/disable-iphone-vacation-30543.html

That gives other settings you might want to check.

Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

<180620212030083774%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16969&group=comp.mobile.android#16969

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:30:08 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 00:30 UTC

In article <1o2ct63r0przc.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> For callers you don't know, and for those that have no CName data, just
> the CID (caller ID of phone number), do you actually hear your phone
> announcing "Call from 525 555 5252"? Or do you hear a name? Most calls
> don't have a CNAME record,

none do. caller id on cellular doesn't send cnam.

> so all you get is the caller's phone number.

which maps to whatever name is in the user's address book, and if
there's no match, it's the city/state (or country if international).

Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

<sajghe$uov$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16971&group=comp.mobile.android#16971

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 01:16:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 01:16 UTC

Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

> All of a sudden my phone is announcing the names of people who are
> calling me or texting me. I don't want anyone knowing who people
> contacting me are, so I've had it set to keep all notifications generic
> for ages. Then all of a sudden, without me doing anything (perhaps a
> recent phone update?) my phone is tattletaling on me. I think it may be
> a new Samsung piece of software that was installed without my
> permission, but since they come in with updates, I got no choice. I
> found a setting called "Read caller ID aloud" and set it to off, but
> it's still doing it (typical)! How do I uninstall this piece of shit?

If you haven't already, be sure to look in accessibility settings.

Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

<saq69u$kcv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17004&group=comp.mobile.android#17004

From: joebeanf...@nospam.duh (Joe Beanfish)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 14:04:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Beanfish - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 14:04 UTC

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:23:48 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> All of a sudden my phone is announcing the names of people who are
> calling me or texting me. I don't want anyone knowing who people
> contacting me are, so I've had it set to keep all notifications generic
> for ages. Then all of a sudden, without me doing anything (perhaps a
> recent phone update?) my phone is tattletaling on me. I think it may be
> a new Samsung piece of software that was installed without my
> permission, but since they come in with updates, I got no choice. I
> found a setting called "Read caller ID aloud" and set it to off, but
> it's still doing it (typical)! How do I uninstall this piece of shit?

Maybe you have some assitive setting enabled. Look under "Accessibility".

Otherwise naming your phone model and android version may help as
features vary phone to phone.

Re: Samsung text to speech, how to remove?

<1eu6988c52pnu$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17024&group=comp.mobile.android#17024

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 05:48:02 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:48 UTC

Joe Beanfish <joebeanfish@nospam.duh> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:23:48 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> All of a sudden my phone is announcing the names of people who are
>> calling me or texting me. I don't want anyone knowing who people
>> contacting me are, so I've had it set to keep all notifications generic
>> for ages. Then all of a sudden, without me doing anything (perhaps a
>> recent phone update?) my phone is tattletaling on me. I think it may be
>> a new Samsung piece of software that was installed without my
>> permission, but since they come in with updates, I got no choice. I
>> found a setting called "Read caller ID aloud" and set it to off, but
>> it's still doing it (typical)! How do I uninstall this piece of shit?
>
> Maybe you have some assitive setting enabled. Look under "Accessibility".
>
> Otherwise naming your phone model and android version may help as
> features vary phone to phone.

And for which app is used for phone calls.