I put up my thumb... and it blotted out the planet Earth. -- Neil Armstrong

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

SubjectAuthor
* OpenCore Legacy Patcher?Chris Schram
+* Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?Tyrone
|`- Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?Chris Schram
+- Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?Jolly Roger
+- Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?Alan Browne
`- Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?Henry

1
OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

<ukkhkd$2bdo6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16964&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16964

Followup: comp.sys.mac.system
From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:45:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:45 UTC

Las night while I was rotting my mind browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon
a tutorial for installing OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection of
utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma
on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by Apple. I
had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if anyone in this
group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to be true?

I have am early 2025 MacBook Air that is not supposed to go beyond
Monterey, so it's entering its final year of macOS updates. It's not
that the newer macOS versions have major features that would compel an
unauthorized upgrade. At this point I'm just asking out of curiosity.

HISTORY: One-upon-a-time I had a G4 iMac that wasn't supposed to go
beyond Tiger, and using a hack managed to get it up and running in
Leopard. It ran flawlessly, with no known incompatibilities, but was
noticeably slower, which took some getting used to.

MORE HISTORY: I still have an old plastic MacBook that I keep around for
a few legacy apps. It topped out at El Capitan, which made it unusably
slow. I put an SSD in it for a time, which got the speed back, but I
eventually sprung for a newer Mac, and reverted the old MacBook back to
spinning rust. At a later time I downgraded from El Capitan back to
Yosemite, and performance improved.

--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will not see them.
chrispam1@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.

Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

<IR2cnePDvphacfD4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16965&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16965

From: non...@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 15:14:15 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 15:14 UTC

On Dec 4, 2023 at 7:45:02 AM EST, "Chris Schram" <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:

> Las night while I was rotting my mind browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon
> a tutorial for installing OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection of
> utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma
> on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by Apple. I
> had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if anyone in this
> group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to be true?
>
> I have am early 2025 MacBook Air that is not supposed to go beyond
> Monterey, so it's entering its final year of macOS updates. It's not
> that the newer macOS versions have major features that would compel an
> unauthorized upgrade. At this point I'm just asking out of curiosity.

If you have an "early 2025 MacBook Air" it is REALLY "early". :-)

But seriously, these kind of hacks have been going on for many years. The
change from PowerPC Macs to Intel Macs started the "OS X86" hacking era. I
used to have OS X running on various non-Apple PCs over the years. They ranged
from "did not work at all" to "mostly worked but something was broken due to
no drivers" to "everything worked fine", but updates from Apple would break
the system. You usually had to wait for the next "OS X86 distro" to update
the OS to a newer version. There were dozens of OS X86 distros back then,
almost as many as Linux distros.

So this is basically a "try it, it might work" thing. No guarantees at all. I
finally got tired of it all just bought real Macs.

Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

<kt6h3lFdg22U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16967&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16967

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 4 Dec 2023 17:37:57 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:37 UTC

On 2023-12-04, Chris Schram <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:
> Las night while I was rotting my mind browsing YouTube, I stumbled
> upon a tutorial for installing OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection
> of utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura,
> Sonoma on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by
> Apple. I had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if
> anyone in this group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to
> be true?

I've used it on multiple Macs. It's great. Generally, it lets you run
unsupported macOS versions on older Macs without issue. The website
lists which Mac models are most compatible as well as which things may
not work well (or at all) on other Mac models.

> I have am early 2025 MacBook Air that is not supposed to go beyond
> Monterey, so it's entering its final year of macOS updates. It's not
> that the newer macOS versions have major features that would compel an
> unauthorized upgrade. At this point I'm just asking out of curiosity.

I have a 2012 Mac mini running macOS 12.6.3 through OCLP. I only use it
to encode music from CD to AAC, but as far as I can tell, everything
works on it. Its stable and zippy. I've used OCLP (and its predecessors)
on older Macs in the past. OLCP is quite a big improvement over the
older tools from DosDude

JR

Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

<ukldob$2bt6u$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16968&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16968

From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:44:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:44 UTC

On 2023-12-04, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2023 at 7:45:02 AM EST, "Chris Schram" <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:
>
>> Las night while I was rotting my mind browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon
>> a tutorial for installing OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection of
>> utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma
>> on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by Apple. I
>> had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if anyone in this
>> group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to be true?
>>
>> I have am early 2025 MacBook Air that is not supposed to go beyond
>> Monterey, so it's entering its final year of macOS updates. It's not
>> that the newer macOS versions have major features that would compel an
>> unauthorized upgrade. At this point I'm just asking out of curiosity.
>
> If you have an "early 2025 MacBook Air" it is REALLY "early". :-)

That's what I get for Usenetting when I should be asleep. Make that 2014.

--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will not see them.
chrispam1@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.

Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

<pPPbN.221340$BbXa.149229@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16970&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16970

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 20:07:33 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 01:07 UTC

On 2023-12-04 07:45, Chris Schram wrote:
> Las night while I was rotting my mind browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon
> a tutorial for installing OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection of
> utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma
> on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by Apple. I
> had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if anyone in this
> group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to be true?
>
> I have am early 2025 MacBook Air that is not supposed to go beyond
> Monterey, so it's entering its final year of macOS updates. It's not
> that the newer macOS versions have major features that would compel an
> unauthorized upgrade. At this point I'm just asking out of curiosity.

I'm too tired to digest the , but realize that such patchers could
breathe new life into my i7 iMac as this new iMac is pretty much the
prime machine.

.... the rest goes too far back ...
> HISTORY: One-upon-a-time I had a G4 iMac that wasn't supposed to go
> beyond Tiger, and using a hack managed to get it up and running in
> Leopard. It ran flawlessly, with no known incompatibilities, but was
> noticeably slower, which took some getting used to.
>
> MORE HISTORY: I still have an old plastic MacBook that I keep around for
> a few legacy apps. It topped out at El Capitan, which made it unusably
> slow. I put an SSD in it for a time, which got the speed back, but I
> eventually sprung for a newer Mac, and reverted the old MacBook back to
> spinning rust. At a later time I downgraded from El Capitan back to
> Yosemite, and performance improved.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

<1qlbl3a.9032lk1nlwcn4N%henry999@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16971&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16971

From: henry...@eircom.net (Henry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:58:13 +0200
 by: Henry - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 11:58 UTC

Chris Schram <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:

> ... OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection of
> utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma
> on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by Apple. I
> had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if anyone in this
> group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to be true?

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that was retired a couple of years ago. I
heard about OCLP and thought 'why not?' I installed the hack -- pretty
straight-forward -- and ran Big Sur for some time. Then I upgraded to
Monterey. Works like a charm. Yes, it is slow. But this old boy now sits
in a corner of my LAN running 24/7 as a file server and all is well.