The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Can't rename a folder

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Can't rename a folderPaul Goodman
`* Re: Can't rename a folderJohn
 `- Re: Can't rename a folderAlan B

1
Re: Can't rename a folder

<dRSdnX_iS4GbGvL4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16969&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16969

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Can't rename a folder
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Paul Goodman)
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 20:24:38 +0000
 by: Paul Goodman - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 20:24 UTC

Mel C <melcom4@gmail.com> wrote:
> On my DP1.8 GHz G5 Mac running Mac OS 10.5.8, when I try to rename a
> folder I sometimes get the error message -
>
> “You do not have sufficient access privileges to rename the folder xxxx.”
>
> I am the sole administrator for this computer. How can rename these folders?
> Thank you.

Try clicking on the folder in Finder, go to File -> Get Info, and see what
permissions are listed for the folder in question. Maybe changing
permissions there will let you do what you want.

Paul Goodman

Re: Can't rename a folder

<jnh4ni1jc4g5ccr0r38oc2l6o5eqfsa6dv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16972&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16972

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 22:35:35 +0000
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 22:35 UTC

On Tue, 05 Dec 2023 20:24:38 +0000, Paul Goodman
<no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Mel C <melcom4@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On my DP1.8 GHz G5 Mac running Mac OS 10.5.8, when I try to rename a
>> folder I sometimes get the error message -
>>
>> “You do not have sufficient access privileges to rename the folder xxxx.”
>>
>> I am the sole administrator for this computer. How can rename these folders?
>> Thank you.
>>

>Try clicking on the folder in Finder, go to File -> Get Info, and see what
>permissions are listed for the folder in question. Maybe changing
>permissions there will let you do what you want.

I solved this one once by accidentally trying to delete the folder
containing the one I'd been trying to kill, after changing permissions
and ownerships of the offender without much success. I even tried to
kill the stuck one using Windows. Nothing worked.

If the stuck one is not in a higher folder, maybe putting it inside
one would work? I know this raises inheritance issues but it *might*
work. Maybe. If you fiddle enough with "chown".

There's a fairly recent "Solved" thread about what happened in one of
the Maccy groups.

By "fairly recent" I mean sometime this year or last.

Mel C., do you want me to try to find the message-ID?

J.

>—
>Paul Goodman

Re: Can't rename a folder

<ukvqm3$1rofe$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16973&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16973

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 19:26:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 19:26 UTC

On 2023-12-07, John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2023 20:24:38 +0000, Paul Goodman
><no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Mel C <melcom4@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On my DP1.8 GHz G5 Mac running Mac OS 10.5.8, when I try to rename a
>>> folder I sometimes get the error message -
>>>
>>> “You do not have sufficient access privileges to rename the folder xxxx.”
>>>
>>> I am the sole administrator for this computer. How can rename these folders?
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>>Try clicking on the folder in Finder, go to File -> Get Info, and see what
>>permissions are listed for the folder in question. Maybe changing
>>permissions there will let you do what you want.
>
> I solved this one once by accidentally trying to delete the folder
> containing the one I'd been trying to kill, after changing permissions
> and ownerships of the offender without much success. I even tried to
> kill the stuck one using Windows. Nothing worked.
>
> If the stuck one is not in a higher folder, maybe putting it inside
> one would work? I know this raises inheritance issues but it *might*
> work. Maybe. If you fiddle enough with "chown".

I've also had to fiddle with chmod and chgrp both via the sudo command
when I've had similar problems.

--
Cheers, Alan