Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 03:37:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: OpenGl Quake 3 engine Fix for ATI Cards..SoFII ...Jedi Knight
Outcast ..Etc,
From: csmi...@gmail.com (Čeněk Šmiták)
 by: Čeněk Šmiták - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 11:37 UTC

Dne pondělí 10. ledna 2011 v 8:08:07 UTC+1 uživatel noman napsal:
> On 1/5/2011 12:14 AM, John Lewis wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 01:20:06 -0000, "Trimble Bracegirdle"
> > <no-...@never.spam> wrote:
> >

> >> The problem occurs at the start up of these games which can not cope
> >> with modern complexities in the ATI OpenGl driver.
> >
> > Huh. What "modern complexities" ?
> >
> > How inconvenient, when a comprehensive OpenGL driver fix on ATi's
> > part would probably have been a 15 minute exercise by one of their
> > driver team.. ATi's GL support seems to be always late and
> > half-baked...
> Except that in this case, it is due to a bug in id software game
> engines. One of the first things the software in Quake 3 (and also
> Quake 2) engine do, is to ask for the openGl extensions supported
> by the graphic driver. It also sets aside a memory buffer where
> the reply from the driver (a list of extensions) are stored.
> These early games didn't anticipate the number of extensions
> that would be supported by subsequent versions of the API. So you
> either get buffer overrun or seriously cut down list of extensions
> (if the application writer at least checked for a max limit) which
> either crash the game or affect regular functioning.
> I downloaded Return to Castle Wolfenstein source code, to fix it
> myself and the problem was obvious. Actually, the code even had
> a comment about the buffer size not enough for future compatibility
> and someone had arbitrarily increased the size about two or
> three times as a quick workaround.
> When nVidia released OpenGl 4.0 support, their customers ran into
> exact same problem. Quake 3 games stopped working. To their credit
> though, they fixed the issue quickly by detecting the application
> and then only sending extensions supported by OpenGl 2.0. ATI's
> 10.10e (hotfix) drivers do the same and most Quake3/2 games work
> (with Call of Duty as the only big exception)
> Until ATI added fix for game engine's shortcoming, the workaround
> was to copy atioglxx.dll (from Catalyst 10.4 and before) into the
> game directory. I am not sure why that method stopped working
> for Trimble. Currently I have three Quake 3 engine games installed.
> Alice and Quake 3 (both original and Live) run fine without any
> issues on 10.10e driver, and Call of Duty requires copying the dll file.
> My 2¢
> --
> Noman

Hello guys, year 2022 here, and im struggling with crazy fps drops. Particular in name Call of Duty 1.
I hope its not rude to ask you, how the hell did you fix it. Im not really a computer guy and i dont really understand your solution or what should i do :/ thank you very much.

Re: OpenGl Quake 3 engine Fix for ATI Cards..SoFII ...Jedi Knight Outcast ..Etc,

<80ei0hpfbdulbgd6ilt3tucfquvm5vtjug@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=171&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#171

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Subject: Re: OpenGl Quake 3 engine Fix for ATI Cards..SoFII ...Jedi Knight Outcast ..Etc,
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 12:04:12 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:04 UTC

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 03:37:41 -0800 (PST), ?en?k Šmiták
<csmitak@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dne pond?lí 10. ledna 2011 v 8:08:07 UTC+1 uživatel noman napsal:
>> On 1/5/2011 12:14 AM, John Lewis wrote:

>> > Huh. What "modern complexities" ?
>> >
>> > How inconvenient, when a comprehensive OpenGL driver fix on ATi's
>> > part would probably have been a 15 minute exercise by one of their
>> > driver team.. ATi's GL support seems to be always late and
>> > half-baked...
>> Except that in this case, it is due to a bug in id software game
>> engines. One of the first things the software in Quake 3 (and also
>> Quake 2) engine do, is to ask for the openGl extensions supported
>> by the graphic driver. It also sets aside a memory buffer where
>> the reply from the driver (a list of extensions) are stored.
>> These early games didn't anticipate the number of extensions
>> that would be supported by subsequent versions of the API. So you
>> either get buffer overrun or seriously cut down list of extensions
>> (if the application writer at least checked for a max limit) which
>> either crash the game or affect regular functioning.
>> I downloaded Return to Castle Wolfenstein source code, to fix it
>> myself and the problem was obvious. Actually, the code even had
>> a comment about the buffer size not enough for future compatibility
>> and someone had arbitrarily increased the size about two or
>> three times as a quick workaround.
>> When nVidia released OpenGl 4.0 support, their customers ran into
>> exact same problem. Quake 3 games stopped working. To their credit
>> though, they fixed the issue quickly by detecting the application
>> and then only sending extensions supported by OpenGl 2.0. ATI's
>> 10.10e (hotfix) drivers do the same and most Quake3/2 games work
>> (with Call of Duty as the only big exception)
>> Until ATI added fix for game engine's shortcoming, the workaround
>> was to copy atioglxx.dll (from Catalyst 10.4 and before) into the
>> game directory. I am not sure why that method stopped working
>> for Trimble. Currently I have three Quake 3 engine games installed.
>> Alice and Quake 3 (both original and Live) run fine without any
>> issues on 10.10e driver, and Call of Duty requires copying the dll file.
>> My 2¢
>> --
>> Noman
>

>Hello guys, year 2022 here, and im struggling with crazy fps drops.
>Particular in name Call of Duty 1.
>I hope its not rude to ask you, how the hell did you fix it. Im not
>really a computer guy and i dont really understand your solution or
>what should i do :/ thank you very much.

Hello year 2022, this is Dad.
(sorry, couldn't resist a bad Dad joke).

The explanation above was specific to an ATI video card, probably
running on Windows XP drivers. It required copying a file from a
patched version of the drivers into the game's directory. However,
unless you match that specific set of operating
system/hardware/drivers, their solution is unlikely to work for you.

At the very least, you should provide some basic info about your
computer (CPU, video card, operating system) and the software that
you're having problems with (for example, which version of "Call of
Duty 1"; the original CD-ROM version, or the version found on Steam?).
Without that basic information, it will be very difficult to
troubleshoot the issue.

And while it pains me to admit it, you're also better seeking help
elsewhere. This newsgroup is, if not dead, then only a breath or two
away from it. At the very least, you should check out the marginally
more active comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (which, anyway, is a better
fit for a game like "Call of Duty").

Good luck on your search.