Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

SubjectAuthor
* TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DWerner P.
+* Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DMike S.
|`* Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DSpalls Hurgenson
| `- Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DKyonshi
+- Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DZaghadka
`* Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DAnt
 `* Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DSpalls Hurgenson
  `- Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3DAnt

1
TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<6c5u1j5ch6aqnv8lbmrrbq3ddiuebh4b28@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16980&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#16980

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:26:02 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 00:26 UTC

It's embarrassing that it took so long for me to notice this.

For the longest time, I assumed "Wolfenstein 3D" took its name because
it was based on the "Castle Wolfenstein" franchise and it happened to
be in '3D' (or, at least as close to '3D' as 1992 PCs could get at
that time).

But, of course, the name also refers to the fact that - after the
original "Castle Wolfenstein" and "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein" - it is
the /third/ game in the series.

<sigh>

No, no great revelation here. Well, not for anybody else, anyway. But
it was like an epiphany for me. I'd been staring at the title for 32
years(!) and only noticed that today.

<double sigh>

I'm still holding out for a modern remake of the original Muse
Software games, by the way. Or just a digital release of the 2009
"Wolfenstein", for that matter. Or maybe re-releases - on GOG, or
elsewhere - of the forgotten, non-canonical, "Mission" disks for
Wolfenstein 3D released by FormGen. My collection is incomplete
without these.

Maybe one day.

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<uvo7p3$1i208$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16981&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#16981

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:20:19 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:20 UTC

Am 17.04.24 um 02:26 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> I'm still holding out for a modern remake of the original Muse
> Software games, by the way. Or just a digital release of the 2009
> "Wolfenstein", for that matter. Or maybe re-releases - on GOG, or
> elsewhere - of the forgotten, non-canonical, "Mission" disks for
> Wolfenstein 3D released by FormGen. My collection is incomplete
> without these.
>
> Maybe one day.
A modern remake would be closer to the Thief series than anything else.
Btw. it originally was planned that way, the 3d game that is, however
someone had the idea to make a fast paced shooter and get rid of all the
stealth elements, the rest is history.
The only thing both games have in common is the premise of having to
escape Castle Wolfenstein the Nazis and the name, the rest is completely
different!

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<ffjv1jt2s8hpk8qjmqr65e66b3jgqaitgn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16986&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#16986

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:27:34 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:27 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:26:02 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's embarrassing that it took so long for me to notice this.
>
>For the longest time, I assumed "Wolfenstein 3D" took its name because
>it was based on the "Castle Wolfenstein" franchise and it happened to
>be in '3D' (or, at least as close to '3D' as 1992 PCs could get at
>that time).
>
>But, of course, the name also refers to the fact that - after the
>original "Castle Wolfenstein" and "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein" - it is
>the /third/ game in the series.
>
><sigh>

If it makes you feel any better (misery loves company) I never noticed
that either. I thought the 3D was only for the reason you stated here
as well.

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<bnmv1jhjesluv94hltk0eteadjni0onsfo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16989&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#16989

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:22:06 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:22 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:26:02 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>It's embarrassing that it took so long for me to notice this.
>
>For the longest time, I assumed "Wolfenstein 3D" took its name because
>it was based on the "Castle Wolfenstein" franchise and it happened to
>be in '3D' (or, at least as close to '3D' as 1992 PCs could get at
>that time).
>
>But, of course, the name also refers to the fact that - after the
>original "Castle Wolfenstein" and "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein" - it is
>the /third/ game in the series.
>
><sigh>
>
>No, no great revelation here. Well, not for anybody else, anyway. But
>it was like an epiphany for me. I'd been staring at the title for 32
>years(!) and only noticed that today.
>
><double sigh>
>
>I'm still holding out for a modern remake of the original Muse
>Software games, by the way. Or just a digital release of the 2009
>"Wolfenstein", for that matter. Or maybe re-releases - on GOG, or
>elsewhere - of the forgotten, non-canonical, "Mission" disks for
>Wolfenstein 3D released by FormGen. My collection is incomplete
>without these.
>
>Maybe one day.

Damn. I always thought it was a bra size, referring to the secret Hitler
lingerie level, but you're right!

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<UOydnckboLj92737nZ2dnZfqn_UAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16995&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#16995

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:00:00 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:00 UTC

Better late than never. id Software wanted to be able to hide bodies
according to Masters of Doom book from 2003, take their clothes, etc.
in their Wolf3D, but couldn't due to limitations. Return to Castle
Wolfenstein didn't have these features too. I wonder if the newer
Wolfenstein games could since I never played them.

--
"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." --James 4:17. I need to more goods and less sins.
| |o o| |

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<seh02jtr9hvlnct8vcdvm5htt2htfddgis@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16996&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#16996

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:05:33 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:05 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:27:34 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:26:02 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>It's embarrassing that it took so long for me to notice this.

>>But, of course, the name also refers to the fact that - after the
>>original "Castle Wolfenstein" and "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein" - it is
>>the /third/ game in the series.

>If it makes you feel any better (misery loves company) I never noticed
>that either. I thought the 3D was only for the reason you stated here
>as well.

It actually does make me feel better, thank you. ;-)

What's worse is that calling the third game of a series '3D' was such
a common occurence during the 90s* that I should have noticed
immediately. Take "Duke Nukem 3D", for example. Also, "Lemmings 3D"
and "Prince of Persia 3D". (We gamers were really excited about 3D
back then ;-). It was an annoying trend, but I picked up on it every
time. The 3D referred both to the fact that the game was the third in
the series and had transitioned to '3D' graphics. Completely obvious;
an impossible to miss reference.

Except with Wolfenstein 3D for some reason.

* it wasn't unique to video games either; the third movie of the
"Jaws" franchise was originally called "Jaws 3-D", but its 3D effects
were so pathetic and ridiculed that it was later released simply as
Jaws III

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<uvpjsj$1rkq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16998&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#16998

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 00:24:34 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:24 UTC

On 4/18/2024 12:05 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> What's worse is that calling the third game of a series '3D' was such
> a common occurence during the 90s* that I should have noticed
> immediately. Take "Duke Nukem 3D", for example. Also, "Lemmings 3D"
> and "Prince of Persia 3D". (We gamers were really excited about 3D
> back then ;-). It was an annoying trend, but I picked up on it every
> time. The 3D referred both to the fact that the game was the third in
> the series and had transitioned to '3D' graphics. Completely obvious;
> an impossible to miss reference.
>
> Except with Wolfenstein 3D for some reason.

It was earlier than most other games that did that. Maybe that's why.
Wolfenstein 3D was even pre-Doom.

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<svf22j9h4iqo9dtcdo1pavglha6iuklrka@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17012&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#17012

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:52:08 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:52 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:00:00 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Better late than never. id Software wanted to be able to hide bodies
>according to Masters of Doom book from 2003, take their clothes, etc.
>in their Wolf3D, but couldn't due to limitations. Return to Castle
>Wolfenstein didn't have these features too. I wonder if the newer
>Wolfenstein games could since I never played them.

Nope. All of the Wolfenstein games have been unabashed first-person
shooters with very little in the way of stealth (there is a bit of
sneaking in the New Order / New Colossus games, but it's not
mandatory. It just makes things a bit easier if you stay out of sight
long enough to kill the officers, as they spawn in endless
reinforcements once they're alerted. But it's not hard to go in
guns-blazing either).

Oh, I suppose there's a little bit of 'spycraft' where you pretend to
be a Nazi officer in some of the games, but these are almost entirely
scripted events and you're quickly detected as a fraud, leading up to
the inevitable runnin'-n-gunnin' the franchise is famous for.

The original "Wolfenstein" games were almost the "Hitman" games of
their day, if you take into consideration the vast differences in
computing hardware. The maps were fairly open, the goal was to
assassinate your target, you could disguise yourself as enemies (and -
if you were fast enough - could re-stealth after getting detected),
and play it 'loud' or 'quiet', as you preferred.

It just baffles me that the originals haven't even seen a FAN remake
in all these years.

Re: TIL.... Wolfenstein 3D

<be-cnQf2BKhr5rz7nZ2dnZfqnPYAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17021&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#17021

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:00:54 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:00 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:00:00 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >Better late than never. id Software wanted to be able to hide bodies
> >according to Masters of Doom book from 2003, take their clothes, etc.
> >in their Wolf3D, but couldn't due to limitations. Return to Castle
> >Wolfenstein didn't have these features too. I wonder if the newer
> >Wolfenstein games could since I never played them.
> >
> Nope. All of the Wolfenstein games have been unabashed first-person
> shooters with very little in the way of stealth (there is a bit of
> sneaking in the New Order / New Colossus games, but it's not
> mandatory. It just makes things a bit easier if you stay out of sight
> long enough to kill the officers, as they spawn in endless
> reinforcements once they're alerted. But it's not hard to go in
> guns-blazing either).

> Oh, I suppose there's a little bit of 'spycraft' where you pretend to
> be a Nazi officer in some of the games, but these are almost entirely
> scripted events and you're quickly detected as a fraud, leading up to
> the inevitable runnin'-n-gunnin' the franchise is famous for.

> The original "Wolfenstein" games were almost the "Hitman" games of
> their day, if you take into consideration the vast differences in
> computing hardware. The maps were fairly open, the goal was to
> assassinate your target, you could disguise yourself as enemies (and -
> if you were fast enough - could re-stealth after getting detected),
> and play it 'loud' or 'quiet', as you preferred.

> It just baffles me that the originals haven't even seen a FAN remake
> in all these years.

Aw. Yeah, not even mods. :(