"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere." -- Dr. Seuss

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

SubjectAuthor
* Pointing /home to /home on 2nd driveRobH
+- Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drivedavid c
`* Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd driveStephen
 +* Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drivedavid c
 |`- Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd driveStephen
 `* Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd driveRobH
  `- Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drivedavid c

1
Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

<imavo3Fjv3lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1705&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1705

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 18:57:23 +0100
 by: RobH - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 17:57 UTC

I have installed Cinamon Mint on a ssd on my laptop, but currently run
ubuntu on my desktop.

A few years ago, I moved my ubuntu /home folder to a partiton on a 2nd
hard drive.
I would like to install the ssd with Mint on to my desktop and use that
in place of ubuntu. My question then is how do I point it to the /home
folder on the 2nd drive.

Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

<sdqg0i$9h5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1706&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1706

From: dave61...@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 02:39:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 02:39 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 18:57:23 +0100, RobH wrote:

> I have installed Cinamon Mint on a ssd on my laptop, but currently run
> ubuntu on my desktop.
>
> A few years ago, I moved my ubuntu /home folder to a partiton on a 2nd
> hard drive.
> I would like to install the ssd with Mint on to my desktop and use that
> in place of ubuntu. My question then is how do I point it to the /home
> folder on the 2nd drive.

A web search will give details.

Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

<yOadncIgPsKChZz8nZ2dnUU78XvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1707&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1707

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: spa...@smeech.plus.com (Stephen)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:41:03 +0100
 by: Stephen - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:41 UTC

On 27/07/2021 18:57, RobH wrote:
> I have installed Cinnamon Mint on a SSD on my laptop, but currently run
> ubuntu on my desktop.
>
> A few years ago, I moved my ubuntu /home folder to a partition on a 2nd
> hard drive.
> I would like to install the ssd with Mint on to my desktop and use that
> in place of ubuntu. My question then is how do I point it to the /home
> folder on the 2nd drive.

You might start here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=251509

However, I left my /home on the SSD for speed of accessing
configurations but symlinked to the storage folders on the 2nd disk
(Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures etc.)
--
Regards,

Stephen

Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

<sdrujd$9ee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1708&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1708

From: dave61...@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:54:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:54 UTC

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:41:03 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 27/07/2021 18:57, RobH wrote:
>> I have installed Cinnamon Mint on a SSD on my laptop, but currently run
>> ubuntu on my desktop.
>>
>> A few years ago, I moved my ubuntu /home folder to a partition on a 2nd
>> hard drive.
>> I would like to install the ssd with Mint on to my desktop and use that
>> in place of ubuntu. My question then is how do I point it to the /home
>> folder on the 2nd drive.
>
> You might start here:
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=251509
>
> However, I left my /home on the SSD for speed of accessing
> configurations but symlinked to the storage folders on the 2nd disk
> (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures etc.)

I created a partition on the SSD. Since this was a fresh install on a
new* machine, I partitioned before installing linux, and let the system
worry about mounting.

* new to me, after a new machine out of warranty failed and no one could
fix it, I now purchase refurbs. It's cheaper than fixing and good enough
for me.

Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

<IL-dne2bddDeG5z8nZ2dnUU78a3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1709&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1709

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: spa...@smeech.plus.com (Stephen)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 17:30:59 +0100
 by: Stephen - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 16:30 UTC

On 28/07/2021 16:54, david c wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:41:03 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/2021 18:57, RobH wrote:
>>> I have installed Cinnamon Mint on a SSD on my laptop, but currently run
>>> ubuntu on my desktop.
>>>
>>> A few years ago, I moved my ubuntu /home folder to a partition on a 2nd
>>> hard drive.
>>> I would like to install the ssd with Mint on to my desktop and use that
>>> in place of ubuntu. My question then is how do I point it to the /home
>>> folder on the 2nd drive.
>>
>> You might start here:
>> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=251509
>>
>> However, I left my /home on the SSD for speed of accessing
>> configurations but symlinked to the storage folders on the 2nd disk
>> (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures etc.)
>
> I created a partition on the SSD. Since this was a fresh install on a
> new* machine, I partitioned before installing linux, and let the system
> worry about mounting.
>
> * new to me, after a new machine out of warranty failed and no one could
> fix it, I now purchase refurbs. It's cheaper than fixing and good enough
> for me.

I'm in the same position, content that if my Dell Optiplex 7010 fails I
can replace it for £100 or so.

--
Regards,

Stephen

Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

<imihg6F6fkrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1743&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1743

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 15:43:18 +0100
 by: RobH - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 14:43 UTC

On 28/07/2021 09:41, Stephen wrote:
> On 27/07/2021 18:57, RobH wrote:
>> I have installed Cinnamon Mint on a SSD on my laptop, but currently
>> run ubuntu on my desktop.
>>
>> A few years ago, I moved my ubuntu /home folder to a partition on a
>> 2nd hard drive.
>> I would like to install the ssd with Mint on to my desktop and use
>> that in place of ubuntu. My question then is how do I point it to the
>> /home folder on the 2nd drive.
>
> You might start here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=251509
>
> However, I left my /home on the SSD for speed of accessing
> configurations but symlinked to the storage folders on the 2nd disk
> (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures etc.)

Thanks , but in case I wasn't clear enough, my /home folder is already
on a 2nd drive. I moved it to that a while ago when I used ubuntu.
I have now switched to Mint, and I mounted the /home folder on the said
drive in the fstab file, and lo and behold all my folders and files were
showing in Mint

I was hoping that it could be done during the install process under
'something else' but I couldn't see how or where I could do it.

Thanks anyway

Re: Pointing /home to /home on 2nd drive

<se6p4k$kng$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1793&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1793

From: dave61...@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 18:28:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 18:28 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 15:43:18 +0100, RobH wrote:

> On 28/07/2021 09:41, Stephen wrote:
>> On 27/07/2021 18:57, RobH wrote:
>>> I have installed Cinnamon Mint on a SSD on my laptop, but currently
>>> run ubuntu on my desktop.
>>>
>>> A few years ago, I moved my ubuntu /home folder to a partition on a
>>> 2nd hard drive.
>>> I would like to install the ssd with Mint on to my desktop and use
>>> that in place of ubuntu. My question then is how do I point it to the
>>> /home folder on the 2nd drive.
>>
>> You might start here:
>> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=251509
>>
>> However, I left my /home on the SSD for speed of accessing
>> configurations but symlinked to the storage folders on the 2nd disk
>> (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures etc.)
>
> Thanks , but in case I wasn't clear enough, my /home folder is already
> on a 2nd drive. I moved it to that a while ago when I used ubuntu.
> I have now switched to Mint, and I mounted the /home folder on the said
> drive in the fstab file, and lo and behold all my folders and files were
> showing in Mint
>
> I was hoping that it could be done during the install process under
> 'something else' but I couldn't see how or where I could do it.
>
> Thanks anyway

As I remember (and my memory isn't what it used to be), you tell the
install where home directory is during "install something else". This has
the advantage you don't have to mess with fstab to mount the thing.
When all is well, the system will mount as 'home' under root, so you
don't get to see what is mounted unless you use gparted or similar.