Asynchronous inputs are at the root of our race problems. -- D. Winker and F. Prosser

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / 2024 nymserver

SubjectAuthor
* 2024 nymserverSentinelle Aveugle
+- Re: 2024 nymserverYamn Remailer
`* Re: 2024 nymserverBanquo
 +- Re: 2024 nymserverSentinelle Aveugle
 `* Re: 2024 nymserverNomen Nescio
  `* Re: 2024 nymserverBanquo
   +- Re: 2024 nymserverAnonymous
   `- Re: 2024 nymserverBanquo

1
2024 nymserver

<urqote$224t0$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17054&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17054

From: ness...@u44mxsvwctps3fxvgmr2fuzuzn74gzatiwuwyqpyr4rk74ipfsercfqd.onion (Sentinelle Aveugle)
<nessuno@u44mxsvwctps3fxvgmr2fuzuzn74gzatiwuwyqpyr4rk74ipfsercfqd.onion>
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: 2024 nymserver
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:19:57 +0100
 by: Sentinelle Aveugle - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:19 UTC

Hi!
I was reading a paper on mixmin dot net about making a nym.
The paper says about nym.alias.net as main server for developing a nym
which is down it's ages.
What's the actual procedure to follow as 2024? Does it concerns also the
use of yamn ?

Best regards
--
Key fingerprint = D5F7 9ACC 4E1D 31AB E1DE 8252 049F 40E9 9321 3BD7

Re: 2024 nymserver

<20240229.212304.177c5779@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17055&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17055

Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:23:04 +0000
Subject: Re: 2024 nymserver
From: nore...@mixmin.net (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:23 UTC

Sentinelle Aveugle wrote:

>Hi!
>I was reading a paper on mixmin dot net about making a nym.
>The paper says about nym.alias.net as main server for developing a nym
>which is down it's ages.
>What's the actual procedure to follow as 2024? Does it concerns also the
>use of yamn ?
>
>Best regards

Operational nymservers:
nym.mixmin.net / nymph.paranoici.org

Windows nym client software:
<https://danner-net.de/om.htm>

Using it in Linux Wine:
<https://danner-net.de/omom/tutorinstall.htm>

Instructions for manual nymserver interaction:
<https://danner-net.de/omom/appendhelpnymserver.htm>

To send mail messages to the nymserver you can choose
any routing you like, Mixmaster, YAMN or whatever else.

Re: 2024 nymserver

<20240229214546.86AB21200AE@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17056&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17056

Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:45:46 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: banquo<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Banquo)
 by: Banquo - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:45 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:19:57 +0100, Sentinelle Aveugle <nessuno@u44mxsvwctps3fxvgmr2fuzuzn74gzatiwuwyqpyr4rk74ipfsercfqd.onion>
said:

> Hi!
> I was reading a paper on mixmin dot net about making a nym.
> The paper says about nym.alias.net as main server for developing a nym
> which is down it's ages.

Nym.alias.net has probably been down for 20 years now. The two nymservers
now operating are: nym.mixmin.net and nymph.paranoici.org.

> What's the actual procedure to follow as 2024?

See below.

> Does it concerns also the use of yamn ?

If you want... Yamn is the most secure way to send messages to the nymservers.

If you want to use a nym account:

0) Get the remailer-keys:

Send an email to each of:

remailer-key@nym.mimxin.net and remailer-key@nymph.paranoici.org

with the Subject: line of remailer-key. You will get an automated response
from each server with their respective remailer PGP key.

1) Check the list(s) of used nyms. Send an email to each of:

list@nym.mixmin.net and list@nymph.paranoici.org

with a Subject: line of list -- that will get you a list of used nyms on
each nymserver.

2) Choose a name that isn't already on the nymservers.

3) Generate a PGP key for that nym. You can use Curve25519, if you like.

Let's assume, that you have chosen nessuno / Sentinelle Aveugle.

4) Insert that PGP key and user information into the following template:

Config:
From: nessuno
Nym-Commands: create? -fingerkey name="Sentinelle Aveugle" -signsend -acksend -nobcc -fixedsize
Public-Key:
Reply-Block:
::
Anon-To: email@domain1.com,email@domain2.net,email@domain3.info

**

Take the above template, remove the indentation, and make the appropriate
changes, after which you simultaneously sign and encrypt the message.

Use the nym's key to sign it, and the config@nym.mixmin.net and
config@nymph.paranoici.org keys to encrypt, as well as your own, if you like.

5) Take that signed and encrypted message block and email it to:

config@nym.mixmin.net and config@nymph.paranoici.org and wait for a reply to
the email addresses in your reply block (i.e. the addresses after Anon-To: )

When you get replies, they will have an email address to send a response to
the confirmation message, e.g.:

Your configuration request completed successfully.

A new reply block has been received for your mail alias, but has not
yet been activated. In order to start receiving mail with your new
reply block, you must confirm it by sending an (anonymous) E-mail
message to the following address:

confirm+c9ca471a7132e27d@nym.mixmin.net

The contents of the message can be anything. Any message delivered to
this address will activate your reply block.

and

confirm+582748a3e8364aa9@nymph.paranoici.org

The contents of the message can be anything. Any message delivered to
this address will activate your reply block.

Send an email to both of those addresses, and you will get a confirmation
email back telling you that your reply block has been confirmed and that
your email alias is active.

Sending email:

From: nessuno@nym.mixmin.net
To: destination@example.domain
Bcc: nessuno@nym.mixmin.net
Subject: Place desired subject line here

PGP-encrypted or plain-text message body goes here.

Any additional headers desired can be placed after the Subject: line, e.g.
References.

Simultaneously sign & encrypt with the nymserver config keys and sign with
the nessuno key, and send the encrypted message block to send@nym.mixmin.net
or send@nymph.paranoici.org

To post to newsgroups, use a mail2news gateway like you did here.

> Best regards

Banquo

Re: 2024 nymserver

<urr6rr$23ge3$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17058&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17058

From: ness...@u44mxsvwctps3fxvgmr2fuzuzn74gzatiwuwyqpyr4rk74ipfsercfqd.onion (Sentinelle Aveugle)
<nessuno@u44mxsvwctps3fxvgmr2fuzuzn74gzatiwuwyqpyr4rk74ipfsercfqd.onion>
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 01:18:03 +0100
 by: Sentinelle Aveugle - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 00:18 UTC

Banquo wrote:
> To post to newsgroups, use a mail2news gateway like you did here.

As you did !

>> Best regards

Thanks!

> Banquo

Nessun0

--
Key fingerprint = D5F7 9ACC 4E1D 31AB E1DE 8252 049F 40E9 9321 3BD7

Re: 2024 nymserver

<91d2de4c219597bc7ea152b593d968ae@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17060&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17060

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:05:33 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:05 UTC

In article <20240229214546.86AB21200AE@fleegle.mixmin.net> Banquo wrote:

> Anon-To: email@domain1.com,email@domain2.net,email@domain3.info

Not best practice to offer the nym server your home address.

Re: 2024 nymserver

<20240302032745.2EB821200AE@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17067&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17067

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 03:27:45 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: banquo<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Banquo)
 by: Banquo - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 03:27 UTC

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:05:33 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com>
said:

> In article <20240229214546.86AB21200AE@fleegle.mixmin.net> Banquo wrote:
>
> Anon-To: email@domain1.com,email@domain2.net,email@domain3.info
>
> Not best practice to offer the nym server your home address.

That depends, doesn't it? It would be foolish to offer up an email address
that can be linked to your real identity/ISP, etc. Using tor-based email
accounts for reply-blocks should be a given.

One could use chained remailers in a reply-block, at the price of complexity
and massive latency -- or you could always post to an anonymous message pool.
To really mix things up (pun intended) you could always combine the two.

Banquo

Re: 2024 nymserver

<7c70e7f8c25fd920d4b9a468864be512@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17068&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17068

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:58:36 +0000 (UTC)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:58 UTC

Banquo wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:05:33 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com>
> said:
>> In article <20240229214546.86AB21200AE@fleegle.mixmin.net> Banquo wrote:
>>
>>> Anon-To: email@domain1.com,email@domain2.net,email@domain3.info
>>
>> Not best practice to offer the nym server your home address.
>
> That depends, doesn't it? It would be foolish to offer up an email address
> that can be linked to your real identity/ISP, etc. Using tor-based email
> accounts for reply-blocks should be a given.

So you set up a mail account with Tor-based anonymity to interact with
a nym mail account? But as a chain is as strong as its weakest link,
which here is Tor anonymity, you won't gain anything, just add
complexity for no reason.

>One could use chained remailers in a reply-block, at the price of complexity
>and massive latency -- or you could always post to an anonymous message pool.

Exactly what would be reasonable, making the nymserver post replies to
a message pool, from where you download your replies, shielded from
complexity by software that offers you fully automated processing.

Re: 2024 nymserver

<20240302150703.5F8B11200AF@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17070&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17070

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:07:03 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: banquo<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Banquo)
 by: Banquo - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:07 UTC

<7c70e7f8c25fd920d4b9a468864be512@remailer.paranoici.org>

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:58:36 +0000 (UTC), Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org>
wrote:

> Banquo wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:05:33 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com>
>> said:

>>> Not best practice to offer the nym server your home address.
>>
>> That depends, doesn't it? It would be foolish to offer up an email address
>> that can be linked to your real identity/ISP, etc. Using tor-based email
>> accounts for reply-blocks should be a given.
>
> So you set up a mail account with Tor-based anonymity to interact with
> a nym mail account? But as a chain is as strong as its weakest link,
> which here is Tor anonymity, you won't gain anything, just add
> complexity for no reason.
>
>> One could use chained remailers in a reply-block, at the price of complexity
>> and massive latency -- or you could always post to an anonymous message pool.
>
> Exactly what would be reasonable, making the nymserver post replies to
> a message pool, from where you download your replies, shielded from
> complexity by software that offers you fully automated processing.

What's your solution, then?

Banquo