War is never imperative. -- McCoy, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Time Machine reminders?

SubjectAuthor
* Time Machine reminders?Connor Shannon
+* Re: Time Machine reminders?Alan Browne
|`* Re: Time Machine reminders?Alan
| `* Re: Time Machine reminders?Alan Browne
|  +* Re: Time Machine reminders?Jolly Roger
|  |+* Re: Time Machine reminders?André G. Isaak
|  ||`- Re: Time Machine reminders?Alan Browne
|  |`- Re: Time Machine reminders?Alan Browne
|  `* Re: Time Machine reminders?Connor Shannon
|   `- Re: Time Machine reminders?Alan Browne
+* Re: Time Machine reminders?Percival John Hackworth
|`* Re: Time Machine reminders?Jolly Roger
| `- Re: Time Machine reminders?Connor Shannon
`- Re: Time Machine reminders?Connor Shannon

1
Time Machine reminders?

<26ddb828-a96c-4fd5-aed7-069c91c9ac64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17016&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17016

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:13:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Time Machine reminders?
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:13 UTC

Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac and Time Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one that I would connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my computer every 10 days. After it backed up I switched them so both drives got both computers.

A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't get reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way to turn them on. Are they gone now?

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<u62fN.43300$yEgf.26114@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17017&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17017

Subject: Re: Time Machine reminders?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 14:50:50 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:50 UTC

On 2023-12-14 18:13, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac and Time Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one that I would connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my computer every 10 days. After it backed up I switched them so both drives got both computers.
>
> A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't get reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way to turn them on. Are they gone now?

Does TM have reminders?

I put reminders in the ... (wait for it) Reminders app.

IAC when I got this new computer all my Reminders came along for the
ride and were still there after I updated to Sonoma. (Via iCloud - part
of that seamless thing the trolls hate).

So next question is: are your reminders in iCloud? (Yes, upgrading to
Sonoma should not have lost your reminders).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<ulic0n$21plf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17018&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17018

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:13:11 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:13 UTC

On 2023-12-15 11:50, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-12-14 18:13, Connor Shannon wrote:
>> Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac and
>> Time Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one that I
>> would connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my computer
>> every 10 days. After it backed up I switched them so both drives got
>> both computers.
>>
>> A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't
>> get reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way to
>> turn them on. Are they gone now?
>
> Does TM have reminders?

TimeMachine has notifications if you have a backup drive you haven't
used in a while.

> I put reminders in the ... (wait for it) Reminders app.
>
> IAC when I got this new computer all my Reminders came along for the
> ride and were still there after I updated to Sonoma.  (Via iCloud - part
> of that seamless thing the trolls hate).
>
> So next question is: are your reminders in iCloud?  (Yes, upgrading to
> Sonoma should not have lost your reminders).

This is a nomenclature thing.

He's talking about small "r" reminders, not big "R" Reminders from the app.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<ku3s9tF30a9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17020&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17020

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 15 Dec 2023 20:46:53 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:46 UTC

On Dec 14, 2023 at 3:13:18 PM PST, "Connor Shannon" <cshannon1898@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac and Time
> Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one that I would
> connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my computer every 10 days.
> After it backed up I switched them so both drives got both computers.
>
> A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't get
> reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way to turn them
> on. Are they gone now?

Just a SWAG, but whatever is doing the reminders (e.g. some TO-DO app like
2Do, a calendar app like BusyCal, or the Apple Reminders app), are
notifications enabled for the app under the Notifications System Preference?

I just checked on my Ventura system and there are Notifications settings for
each of those apps. When I deleted and re-added Texty recently, I had to
re-enable Notifications for it.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<ku486sF53n0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17022&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17022

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 16 Dec 2023 00:10:04 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 00:10 UTC

On 2023-12-15, Percival John Hackworth <pjh@nanoworks.com> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2023 at 3:13:18 PM PST, "Connor Shannon" <cshannon1898@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac and Time
>> Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one that I would
>> connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my computer every 10 days.
>> After it backed up I switched them so both drives got both computers.
>>
>> A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't get
>> reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way to turn them
>> on. Are they gone now?
>
> Just a SWAG, but whatever is doing the reminders (e.g. some TO-DO app like
> 2Do, a calendar app like BusyCal, or the Apple Reminders app), are
> notifications enabled for the app under the Notifications System Preference?

I'm not sure Time Machine notifications are visible in that interface.

However, if you're simply wanting to be reminded every 10 days to swap
backup drives, a simple reminder in the Reminders app would be perfectly
sufficient.

JR

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<Xt6fN.21858$vFZa.6453@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17023&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17023

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:48:55 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 00:48 UTC

On 2023-12-15 15:13, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-12-15 11:50, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-12-14 18:13, Connor Shannon wrote:
>>> Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac
>>> and Time Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one
>>> that I would connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my
>>> computer every 10 days. After it backed up I switched them so both
>>> drives got both computers.
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't
>>> get reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way
>>> to turn them on. Are they gone now?
>>
>> Does TM have reminders?
>
> TimeMachine has notifications if you have a backup drive you haven't
> used in a while.

I see. On my old iMac I've discontinued TM.

Haven't set it up on the new iMac - but have been doing manual snapshots
of some work folder every 3 or 4 days.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<11eb09c3-5ed2-4917-bfda-65e88125c72cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17024&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17024

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:57:40 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 00:57 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 4:10:10 PM UTC-8, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-12-15, Percival John Hackworth <p...@nanoworks.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 14, 2023 at 3:13:18 PM PST, "Connor Shannon" <cshann...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac and Time
> >> Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one that I would
> >> connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my computer every 10 days.
> >> After it backed up I switched them so both drives got both computers.
> >>
> >> A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't get
> >> reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way to turn them
> >> on. Are they gone now?
> >
> > Just a SWAG, but whatever is doing the reminders (e.g. some TO-DO app like
> > 2Do, a calendar app like BusyCal, or the Apple Reminders app), are
> > notifications enabled for the app under the Notifications System Preference?
> I'm not sure Time Machine notifications are visible in that interface.
>
> However, if you're simply wanting to be reminded every 10 days to swap
> backup drives, a simple reminder in the Reminders app would be perfectly
> sufficient.
>
> --
> E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
> I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.
>
> JR

So nobody knows how to get them back? Are they gone b'cuz of Sonoma? I guess its like mouse battery level the computer doesn't remind you any more you have to make your own reminders. :(

I wish Apple hadn't taken them all out. Why not just leave them in and let ppl decide whether to use them or not??

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<ku4ca1F64vqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17025&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17025

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 16 Dec 2023 01:20:01 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 01:20 UTC

On 2023-12-16, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-12-15 15:13, Alan wrote:

>>> Does TM have reminders?
>>
>> TimeMachine has notifications if you have a backup drive you haven't
>> used in a while.
>
> I see. On my old iMac I've discontinued TM.
>
> Haven't set it up on the new iMac - but have been doing manual snapshots
> of some work folder every 3 or 4 days.

Manual backups are a great way to lose important changes.

JR

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<ulj5jr$29afr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17027&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17027

From: agis...@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:30:03 -0700
 by: André G. Isaak - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 03:30 UTC

On 2023-12-15 18:20, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-12-16, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> TimeMachine has notifications if you have a backup drive you haven't
>>> used in a while.
>>
>> I see. On my old iMac I've discontinued TM.
>>
>> Haven't set it up on the new iMac - but have been doing manual snapshots
>> of some work folder every 3 or 4 days.
>
> Manual backups are a great way to lose important changes.

There's a few situations where manual backups make sense but this
doesn't sound like one of them.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<VNgfN.24595$24ld.21499@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17028&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17028

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 07:32:53 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:32 UTC

On 2023-12-15 20:20, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-12-16, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> TimeMachine has notifications if you have a backup drive you haven't
>>> used in a while.
>>
>> I see. On my old iMac I've discontinued TM.
>>
>> Haven't set it up on the new iMac - but have been doing manual snapshots
>> of some work folder every 3 or 4 days.
>
> Manual backups are a great way to lose important changes.

Sufficient for the short term.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<nPgfN.24596$24ld.20437@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17029&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17029

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 07:34:27 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:34 UTC

On 2023-12-15 22:30, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2023-12-15 18:20, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> I see.  On my old iMac I've discontinued TM.
>>>
>>> Haven't set it up on the new iMac - but have been doing manual snapshots
>>> of some work folder every 3 or 4 days.
>>
>> Manual backups are a great way to lose important changes.
>>

> There's a few situations where manual backups make sense but this
> doesn't sound like one of them.

For what I'm doing these days, it's fine. Note that work (location as
opposed to work from home) is still being backed up automatically and
regularly.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<645f50f0-7b4d-4d2a-a6ee-cc1cde536abfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17034&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17034

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:52:31 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:52 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 4:49:01 PM UTC-8, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-12-15 15:13, Alan wrote:

> >> Does TM have reminders?
> >
> > TimeMachine has notifications if you have a backup drive you haven't
> > used in a while.
> I see. On my old iMac I've discontinued TM.
>
> Haven't set it up on the new iMac - but have been doing manual snapshots
> of some work folder every 3 or 4 days.
> --
> “Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
> - John Maynard Keynes.

Why not turn it on it's really easy!

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<bGofN.59169$83n7.15331@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17037&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17037

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:30:47 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:30 UTC

On 2023-12-16 15:52, Connor Shannon wrote:
> On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 4:49:01 PM UTC-8, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> TimeMachine has notifications if you have a backup drive you haven't
>>> used in a while.
>> I see. On my old iMac I've discontinued TM.
>>
>> Haven't set it up on the new iMac - but have been doing manual snapshots
>> of some work folder every 3 or 4 days.
>> --
>> “Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
>> - John Maynard Keynes.
>
> Why not turn it on it's really easy!

Nah, it's hard. /s

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Time Machine reminders?

<aaf4a51f-943e-4469-8bee-5dde7bfd721cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17096&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17096

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:40:19 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 22:40 UTC

On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 3:13:21 PM UTC-8, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi I have a little external drive that I keep connected to my iMac and Time Machine backs up to it every hour. Then I have another one that I would connect to my MacBook when I got a reminder from my computer every 10 days. After it backed up I switched them so both drives got both computers.
>
> A few weeks ago I upgraded both computers to Sonoma and now I don't get reminders any more. I looked in TM options but didn't see a way to turn them on. Are they gone now?

Hah, I got a reminder on my MacBook yesterday it said TM hadn't run in 28 days. Haven't gotten one on the iMac yet I forget when I switched disks on that one. So maybe the reminders are still there but now 28 instead of 10 days. That seems too long so i think I'll make a reminder in Calendar instead..