I am not an Economist. I am an honest man! -- Paul McCracken

devel / comp.databases.ingres / User authorization check failed

SubjectAuthor
* User authorization check failedRich Ford
+- Re: User authorization check failedSteve
`* Re: User authorization check failedRoy Hann
 `- Re: User authorization check failedGeorge Neuner

1
User authorization check failed

<8d48d1d8-14fe-4a05-91b2-8a5d9951e0a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=171&group=comp.databases.ingres#171

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 07:40:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: User authorization check failed
From: richford...@gmail.com (Rich Ford)
 by: Rich Ford - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:40 UTC

I have just been created as a DBA on a linux server but when I try and run
accessdb I get the following error:

E_US18FF User authorization check failed.
Your user identifier was not known to this installation.
Contact your system manager for further assistance.

What needs to be modified so I can run this?

Rich

Re: User authorization check failed

<9eaba8df-2d06-40bd-892c-87a95d939089n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=173&group=comp.databases.ingres#173

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:02:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: User authorization check failed
From: s.anders...@gmail.com (Steve)
 by: Steve - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:02 UTC

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 2:40:48 AM UTC+11, richf...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have just been created as a DBA on a linux server but when I try and run
> accessdb I get the following error:
>
> E_US18FF User authorization check failed.
> Your user identifier was not known to this installation.
> Contact your system manager for further assistance.
>
> What needs to be modified so I can run this?
>
> Rich

Hi Rich

I suspect you have a "dba" OS account, but no "dba" Ingres user.

Log in as the installation owner (ingres by default) and then using accessdb, create Ingres user dba. Then you should be able to log in as dba at the OS level and run accessdb.

Note, you have to be a privileged user to run accessdb.

Please see Karl's first comment in this link:

https://communities.actian.com/s/question/0D53300003w96oZCAQ/how-to-specify-the-password-when-using-terminal-monitor-

Steve

Re: User authorization check failed

<spagrp$1hv1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=174&group=comp.databases.ingres#174

From: specia...@processed.almost.meat (Roy Hann)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:30:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roy Hann - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:30 UTC

Rich Ford wrote:

> I have just been created as a DBA on a linux server but when I try and run
> accessdb I get the following error:
>
> E_US18FF User authorization check failed.
> Your user identifier was not known to this installation.
> Contact your system manager for further assistance.
>
> What needs to be modified so I can run this?

It's important to understand that Ingres distinguishes Ingres system
administrators from Ingres DBAs. A system administrator is responsible
for the Ingres processes and physical resources, and can act as a
security administrator. An Ingres DBA has relatively limited privileges,
being restricted to managing database assets like tables, procedures
etc, and granting access to those assets.

An Ingres DBA is just an ordinary Ingres user who has created a
database and by virtue of doing so is the DBA of that database.

A lot of sites blur/confuse the roles and allow the system administrator
(often the user ingres) to also be the DBA of all the databases. That is
poor practice IMO but very common, possibly almost universal.

If your role is such that you would want to run accessdb that implies to
me that you want to be a system administrator. If you can't/won't su to
ingres to do those things, log in as the installation owner (probably
ingres) then in accessdb "create" your user ID as an Ingres user and
give it the privileges you need, e.g. security administrator, operator,
maintain users, maintain locations--in fact take 'em all.

Roy

Re: User authorization check failed

<ga0orgldenausgj6d89g9ttaeon3jl8ui4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=183&group=comp.databases.ingres#183

From: gneun...@comcast.net (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:28:01 -0500
 by: George Neuner - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 03:28 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:30:49 -0000 (UTC), Roy Hann
<specially@processed.almost.meat> wrote:

> :
>
>It's important to understand that Ingres distinguishes Ingres system
>administrators from Ingres DBAs. A system administrator is responsible
>for the Ingres processes and physical resources, and can act as a
>security administrator. An Ingres DBA has relatively limited privileges,
>being restricted to managing database assets like tables, procedures
>etc, and granting access to those assets.
>
>An Ingres DBA is just an ordinary Ingres user who has created a
>database and by virtue of doing so is the DBA of that database.
>
>A lot of sites blur/confuse the roles and allow the system administrator
>(often the user ingres) to also be the DBA of all the databases. That is
>poor practice IMO but very common, possibly almost universal.

Yes.

>If your role is such that you would want to run accessdb that implies to
>me that you want to be a system administrator. If you can't/won't su to
>ingres to do those things, log in as the installation owner (probably
>ingres) then in accessdb "create" your user ID as an Ingres user and
>give it the privileges you need, e.g. security administrator, operator,
>maintain users, maintain locations--in fact take 'em all.

FWIW: in many Unix/Linux system DBMS installations, the owner account
("ingres", "postgres", "mysql", etc.) does not have a password and so
no one can log in as that user.

The DBMS tools do typically allow admin or su to access the DBMS as if
they are the owner.

>Roy
George