HOLY MACRO!

computers / news.software.readers / Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

SubjectAuthor
* Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groupsThe Doctor
`* Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groupsWally J
 +* Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groupsKerr-Mudd, John
 |`- Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groupsSn!pe
 +* Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groupsRetro Guy
 |`- Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groupsWally J
 `- Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groupsStan Brown

1
Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

<ulongh$gvk$7@gallifrey.nk.ca>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1712&group=news.software.readers#1712

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: alt.culture.usenet,alt.free.newsservers,comp.mobile.android,news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Subject: Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 06:06:09 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 06:06 UTC

In article <ba7454dba6429633599f0a260ae561f8@dizum.com>,
Good Riddance <bye-google@alphabet.com> wrote:
>https://alt.free.newsservers.narkive.com/
>
>google hates the trends not supporting their progressive goals.

You misspelled regressive.

>You might consider dumping google android too.

Nice!

>https://itsfoss.com/open-source-alternatives-android/
>
>google wants to get rid of groups and free speech on their platforms.
>Let's help them achieve that goal.

I love alternatives.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

<ulpl7m$3hkks$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1713&group=news.software.readers#1713

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.culture.usenet,alt.free.newsservers,comp.mobile.android,news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:33:27 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:33 UTC

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote

>>google wants to get rid of groups and free speech on their platforms.
>>Let's help them achieve that goal.
>>

> I love alternatives.

Dave (The Doctor) knows all about what I say below, but others
on the various newsgroups this is sent to may not know this yet.

Known alternatives. (Please add more if you know more than I do.)
<https://archive.org/details/usenet>
<https://article.olduse.net/> (look up message-ID)
-----< replace c.m.a. below with your favorite newsgroup >-----
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
<https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mobile.android>
etc.

I did not see the original article on c.m.a., but to add value,
we've been well apprised of the situation since the Google spam
on c.m.a. has been calculated at literally 99.5% lately.

On the peering newsgroup, we've been discussing these issues with the
news servers that peered with Google & by other means for a few weeks.
*Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/_w1mbwzgzs0>

Which is a followup to this original request for who is peering this spam:
*Who is peering all these spams ostensibly from Google Groups?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw>

Which itself was followed up in a request for people to complain to Google:
*Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/xxniDVj3ArI>

With respect to the narkives, I conversed with the admin over
email and he kindly responded asking for help improving the
narkive over on the peering newsgroup.

The discussion should best be taken up there, but complaining
alone won't solve the problem. You have to volunteer to help.
--
As always if you know more than I do on this, please add value.

Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

<20231218173903.a799c2ede1a80ccfdd062576@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1714&group=news.software.readers#1714

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.culture.usenet,alt.free.newsservers,comp.mobile.android,news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:39:03 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:39 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:33:27 -0400
Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote
>
> >>google wants to get rid of groups and free speech on their platforms.
> >>Let's help them achieve that goal.
> >>

> > I love alternatives.
>
> Dave (The Doctor) knows all about what I say below, but others
> on the various newsgroups this is sent to may not know this yet.
>
> Known alternatives. (Please add more if you know more than I do.)
> <https://archive.org/details/usenet>
> <https://article.olduse.net/> (look up message-ID)
> -----< replace c.m.a. below with your favorite newsgroup >-----

> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
(Clearly GG is not the way forward!)

> <https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com>
There's an awful lot of threads about "Watch Fullmovie here!" on that feed

> <https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mobile.android>
> etc.
I get 'cant connect' on my olde browser/OS

> I did not see the original article on c.m.a., but to add value,
> we've been well apprised of the situation since the Google spam
> on c.m.a. has been calculated at literally 99.5% lately.
>
> On the peering newsgroup, we've been discussing these issues with the
> news servers that peered with Google & by other means for a few weeks.
> *Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/_w1mbwzgzs0>
>
> Which is a followup to this original request for who is peering this spam:
> *Who is peering all these spams ostensibly from Google Groups?*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw>
>
> Which itself was followed up in a request for people to complain to Google:
> *Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/xxniDVj3ArI>
>
> With respect to the narkives, I conversed with the admin over
> email and he kindly responded asking for help improving the
> narkive over on the peering newsgroup.

Ah.

> The discussion should best be taken up there, but complaining
> alone won't solve the problem. You have to volunteer to help.
> --
> As always if you know more than I do on this, please add value.

Probably not, but I'm chipping in anyhow.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

<1qly5r0.md5smtywkk7zN%snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1716&group=news.software.readers#1716

From: snipec...@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.culture.usenet,alt.free.newsservers,comp.mobile.android,news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:24:00 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:24 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Ah
-len

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator
<snipeco.1@gmail.com>

Google to close Usenet gateway; my pet rock Gordon cheered.

Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

<245e50b032147b7bf2dc3fe5b2c1e048@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1717&group=news.software.readers#1717

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,comp.mobile.android,news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:56:09 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:56 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote

>>>google wants to get rid of groups and free speech on their platforms.
>>>Let's help them achieve that goal.
>>>

>> I love alternatives.

> Dave (The Doctor) knows all about what I say below, but others
> on the various newsgroups this is sent to may not know this yet.

> Known alternatives. (Please add more if you know more than I do.)
> <https://archive.org/details/usenet>
> <https://article.olduse.net/> (look up message-ID)
> -----< replace c.m.a. below with your favorite newsgroup >-----
> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
> <https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com>
> <https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mobile.android>
> etc.

Just to be clear about archives, www.novabbs.com is a web interface, but it is not meant to be a permanent archive. Articles will expire at 3 years, or 100,000 articles per group, whichever comes first. Some groups, like *.test groups, expire earlier.

This will hopefully provide a decent history of articles, but they will eventually expire.

--
Retro Guy

Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

<ulskt8$4vgd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1718&group=news.software.readers#1718

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,comp.mobile.android,news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:46:16 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:46 UTC

Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com> wrote

>> Known alternatives. (Please add more if you know more than I do.)
>> <https://archive.org/details/usenet>
>> <https://article.olduse.net/> (look up message-ID)
>> -----< replace c.m.a. below with your favorite newsgroup >-----
>> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
>> <https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com>
>> <https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mobile.android>
>> etc.
>
> Just to be clear about archives, www.novabbs.com is a web interface,
> but it is not meant to be a permanent archive.

> Articles will expire at 3 years, or 100,000 articles per group,
> whichever comes first. Some groups, like *.test groups, expire earlier.
>
> This will hopefully provide a decent history of articles,
> but they will eventually expire.

Hi Retro Guy,

Thank you for adding value to the combined tribal knowledge, and for
clarifying the role of novabbs in a short 3-year/100K archival.

Here's a table for people to put into their Usenet notes file:
a. DejaGoogle archives (no longer updated after February 2024)
<http://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering>
b. Davide Cavion's Narkive (WIP)
<https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com>
c. Retro Guy's NovaBBS/RockSolid archive
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=news.admin.peering>

These are useful for those conscientious netizens who run a search before
they post a question or they reference an existing answer - and it will be
useful to forward (e.g., by email) a reference the non-Usenet citizen (like
your mom) to a useful Usenet thread or article (which they can read without
needing a newsreader or an account as it works on every platform browser).

To continue to add useful on-topic value with every post, there's also the
Message-ID archives (which most people know about, but perhaps not all).
<https://article.olduse.net/>
<http://al.howardknight.net>

For example, one can look up an article if they have the message id, e.g.,
etc.

Bear in mind that the dejagoogle archives removed the message-id from the
header information years ago - but many of the other archives did not.
--
As always, please add value in every post so that everyone benefits.

Re: narkive alternative to gaggle groups

<MPG.3ff0afaad6f6709299025e@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1721&group=news.software.readers#1721

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.culture.usenet,alt.free.newsservers,comp.mobile.android,news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:50:27 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:50 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:33:27 -0400, Wally J wrote:
> Known alternatives. (Please add more if you know more than I do.

It's not a browseable archive, but when you have a
message ID and want to find the article, it's a much
friendlier interface than Google:

http://al.howardknight.net/

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA