PURGE COMPLETE.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

SubjectAuthor
* Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stayanonymous
+* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayYamn Remailer
|+* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
||`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayAnonymous
|| +* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
|| |`- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayWilliam Unruh
|| +- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
|| `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayStainless Steel Rat
||  `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
|`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayFritz Wuehler
| `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayNomen Nescio
|  +* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
|  |`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayFritz Wuehler
|  | `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
|  `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayAnonymous
|   +- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
|   `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayNomen Nescio
|    `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayD
`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayDavid E. Ross
 `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to StayStainless Steel Rat
  `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Nomen Nescio

1
Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240314.011452.e98aa7f1@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17193&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17193

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 01:14:52 +0000
Subject: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay
From: nore...@mixmin.net (anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server, alt.privacy, alt.security.pgp,
rec.arts.poems, alt.fluffy.cat-pissed.on.peter-j-ross
 by: anonymous - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 01:14 UTC

Encrypted communications app Signal is mulling an exit from the UK
market in response to a new law threatening its core operational model,
while E2EE email service provider Tutanota is taking the opposite
approach, pledging to stay and help the British protect their
communications from government scrutiny.

The law in question is the “Online Safety Bill,” which is a proposed
legislation in the UK that threatens to eliminate encrypted
communications in the country by adding a backdoor for law enforcement
agencies, and a new regulator, the Online Safety Commissioner.

While the UK government maintains that the law’s aggressive provisions
are required to protect vulnerable internet users like children, privacy
advocates criticize the proposal for the impact it could have on free
speech and privacy.

Signal to Exit
Signal’s president Meredith Whittaker stated earlier this week that the
proposed bill undermines people’s right to communicate securely and
privately, and encryption cannot work only for those who respect the
law. “Encryption is either protecting everyone or it is broken for
everyone,” commented Whittaker.

Moreover, Signal’s president said that if any backdoor exists on
software, it will be targeted by malicious state actors who want to
leverage it for their own intelligence collection purposes, so this
approach will inevitably weaken secure communication products.

In conclusion, Whittaker said Signal would “absolutely, 100% walk” from
the UK if the Online Safety Bill passes, forcing it to weaken the
privacy of its users and betray their trust.

Tutanota to Stay
Today, Germany-based secure email service provider Tutanota published a
post stating that they will not walk out of the UK, and they also do not
plan to comply with any of the UK government’s requests to backdoor
their encryption.

“If Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and his government want to stop people in
the UK from using strong encryption – like provided by our secure email
service Tutanota – he must block access to Tutanota – just like Russia
and Iran are already doing,” stated Tutanota’s co-founder Matthias Pfau
in a strong message to the UK government.

“By doing so, the UK would put itself on the same level as authoritarian
regimes like Russia, Iran, North Korea, and China, who are known for
setting up Great Firewalls to limit their people’s access to the
internet and online services.”

Pfau calls the decision-makers in the UK to reconsider their approach on
the matter, warning them that there can be no safe backdoor reserved
only for the good guys, and there can not be real security when it’s
punched even with good intentions.

The company criticized Online Safety Bill extensively in a dedicated
post back in November 2022, developing several arguments against the
various provisions of the law, as well as sending an open letter to UK’s
Prime Minister.

Tutanota’s founder further warns that secure communications aren’t
threatened only in the UK. There are many politicians arguing in favor
of encryption backdoors in the EU, USA, and Australia, too, lobbying for
the implementation of associated laws.

Currently, the Online Safety Bill has been approved by the House of
Commons in the UK’s Parliament and is in the House of Lords stage, where
the final decision is to be taken.

The law has not been passed yet, but it’s on its way, but it might
implement amendments that will lessen the adverse effects on private
communications products.

https://restoreprivacy.com/signal-threatens-to-leave-uk-over-new-law-
tutanota-pledges-to-stay/

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240314.081015.80ec4909@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17199&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17199

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:10:15 +0000
Subject: Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
From: nore...@mixmin.net (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:10 UTC

The Tuta Spammer wrote:

> Encrypted communications app Signal is mulling an exit from the UK
> market in response to a new law threatening its core operational model,
> while E2EE email service provider Tutanota is taking the opposite
> approach, pledging to stay and help the British protect their
> communications from government scrutiny.

Signal is a messaging app, while the Tuta shit deals with email.

First, we have instant messaging alternatives like the federated
distributed open (non-commercial) XMPP network, that allows true E2EE.

And for privacy aware people there's no reason to use any external mail
hoster, as for true end-to-end encryption we process all messages at
home with OpenPGP plugins, available for all major mail clients. In
addition there's a locally run proxy server named OmniMix, which even
allows undetectably hidden mail communication by using Chaumian mix
networks and nym servers.

So no reason to be scared of the British government.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17201&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17201

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Subject: Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to
Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:11:20 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:11 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Yamn Remailer wrote:

> The Tuta Spammer wrote:
>
>> Encrypted communications app Signal is mulling an exit from the UK
>> market in response to a new law threatening its core operational model,
>> while E2EE email service provider Tutanota is taking the opposite
>> approach, pledging to stay and help the British protect their
>> communications from government scrutiny.
>
> Signal is a messaging app, while the Tuta shit deals with email.
>
> First, we have instant messaging alternatives like the federated
> distributed open (non-commercial) XMPP network, that allows true E2EE.
>
> And for privacy aware people there's no reason to use any external mail
> hoster, as for true end-to-end encryption we process all messages at
> home with OpenPGP plugins, available for all major mail clients. In
> addition there's a locally run proxy server named OmniMix, which even
> allows undetectably hidden mail communication by using Chaumian mix
> networks and nym servers.
>
> So no reason to be scared of the British government.

That is not the point. You and possibly I, can protect ourselves as long
as we are not high value targets.

But the masses who do not know about computers will have their human
rights violated. That is the problem.

I don't use signal because I do not like the central model they have,
which in my opinion is a weakness, but what signal does right is to be
easy enough to use to get non-technical users to use them.

Also saw this today regarding chat control:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2024/03/european-court-human-rights-confirms-undermining-encryption-violates-fundamental

Let's see if the EU politicians will rewrite article 8 or just torture the
interpretation of the verdict somehow.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240314.140940.86c8aec2@remailer.frell.eu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17204&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17204

Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 14:09:40 +0100
From: fri...@spamexpire-202403.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:09 UTC

On Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:10 am, Yamn Remailer wrote:

> So no reason to be scared of the British government.

lol.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<usv4jr$1mdo3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17207&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17207

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.privacy,alt.security.pgp,rec.arts.poems,alt.fluffy.cat-pissed.on.peter-j-ross
Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:20:27 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 15:20 UTC

On 3/13/2024 6:14 PM, anonymous wrote:
> Encrypted communications app Signal is mulling an exit from the UK
> market in response to a new law threatening its core operational model,
> while E2EE email service provider Tutanota is taking the opposite
> approach, pledging to stay and help the British protect their
> communications from government scrutiny.

[snipped]

Instead of an encryption service, use PGP.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Demonstrators worldwide are demanding that Israel stop
fighting in Gaza. Why does it seem that no one is demanding
that Hamas stop fighting? And where are the demonstrations
against Russia fighting in the Ukraine.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<3b9ac3196bad1b9a020040bf31bf2ec1@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17213&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17213

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:18:44 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Nomen Nescio - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 19:18 UTC

Fritz Wuehler wrote:
>On Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:10 am, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>
>> So no reason to be scared of the British government.
>>

>lol.

You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240314.205125.35392945@yamn.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17217&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17217

From: nob...@yamn.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:51:25 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:51 UTC

In article <de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net> D wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>
>> The Tuta Spammer wrote:
>>
>>> Encrypted communications app Signal is mulling an exit from the UK
>>> market in response to a new law threatening its core operational model,
>>> while E2EE email service provider Tutanota is taking the opposite
>>> approach, pledging to stay and help the British protect their
>>> communications from government scrutiny.
>>
>> Signal is a messaging app, while the Tuta shit deals with email.
>>
>> First, we have instant messaging alternatives like the federated
>> distributed open (non-commercial) XMPP network, that allows true E2EE.
>>
>> And for privacy aware people there's no reason to use any external mail
>> hoster, as for true end-to-end encryption we process all messages at
>> home with OpenPGP plugins, available for all major mail clients. In
>> addition there's a locally run proxy server named OmniMix, which even
>> allows undetectably hidden mail communication by using Chaumian mix
>> networks and nym servers.
>>
>> So no reason to be scared of the British government.
>
>That is not the point. You and possibly I, can protect ourselves as long
>as we are not high value targets.
>
>But the masses who do not know about computers will have their human
>rights violated. That is the problem.

No, the problem is THEY DON'T CARE!

Offer them easy to use privacy tools, THEY DON'T CARE!
Offer them PGP-capable mail clients for webmailers, THEY DON'T CARE!
Offer them Mastodon for X, THEY DON'T CARE!
Offer them XMPP for WhatsApp, THEY DON'T CARE!

THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE!

But, my friend, our time will come ...

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<c4f39438c453ea8ef3577d85e097eac9@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17218&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17218

From: J...@M (D)
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:57:17 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:57 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:18:44 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>Fritz Wuehler wrote:
>>On Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:10 am, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>>> So no reason to be scared of the British government.
>>
>>lol.
>
>You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
>privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
>would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?

used judiciously, omnimix and tor browser work better than anything
else . . . those that live by the sword have always ruled the world

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<4c467f6e-2297-320e-ee34-be41d4f87aaa@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17219&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17219

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 22:25:48 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:25 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Anonymous wrote:

> In article <de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net> D wrote:

>>> Signal is a messaging app, while the Tuta shit deals with email.
>>>
>>> First, we have instant messaging alternatives like the federated
>>> distributed open (non-commercial) XMPP network, that allows true E2EE.
>>>
>>> And for privacy aware people there's no reason to use any external mail
>>> hoster, as for true end-to-end encryption we process all messages at
>>> home with OpenPGP plugins, available for all major mail clients. In
>>> addition there's a locally run proxy server named OmniMix, which even
>>> allows undetectably hidden mail communication by using Chaumian mix
>>> networks and nym servers.
>>>
>>> So no reason to be scared of the British government.
>>
>> That is not the point. You and possibly I, can protect ourselves as long
>> as we are not high value targets.
>>
>> But the masses who do not know about computers will have their human
>> rights violated. That is the problem.
>
> No, the problem is THEY DON'T CARE!
>
> Offer them easy to use privacy tools, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them PGP-capable mail clients for webmailers, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them Mastodon for X, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them XMPP for WhatsApp, THEY DON'T CARE!
>
> THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE!
>
> But, my friend, our time will come ...

You make a good point. The next logical question is... _why_ don't they
care?

Worsening education? Slavery to their smart phones? Existential pressures?

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<5a096945-bb14-c2ce-6cc2-40c696205005@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17220&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17220

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Stay
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:05:22 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 22:05 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Anonymous wrote:

> In article <de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net> D wrote:

>>> Signal is a messaging app, while the Tuta shit deals with email.
>>>
>>> First, we have instant messaging alternatives like the federated
>>> distributed open (non-commercial) XMPP network, that allows true E2EE.
>>>
>>> And for privacy aware people there's no reason to use any external mail
>>> hoster, as for true end-to-end encryption we process all messages at
>>> home with OpenPGP plugins, available for all major mail clients. In
>>> addition there's a locally run proxy server named OmniMix, which even
>>> allows undetectably hidden mail communication by using Chaumian mix
>>> networks and nym servers.
>>>
>>> So no reason to be scared of the British government.
>>
>> That is not the point. You and possibly I, can protect ourselves as long
>> as we are not high value targets.
>>
>> But the masses who do not know about computers will have their human
>> rights violated. That is the problem.
>
> No, the problem is THEY DON'T CARE!
>
> Offer them easy to use privacy tools, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them PGP-capable mail clients for webmailers, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them Mastodon for X, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them XMPP for WhatsApp, THEY DON'T CARE!
>
> THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE!
>
> But, my friend, our time will come ...

Adding to my previous question, perhaps an answer from Kant himself?

https://web.archive.org/web/20240314052227/http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

Enjoy!

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240315.060858.20c0b2c4@remailer.frell.eu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17221&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17221

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 06:08:58 +0100
From: fri...@spamexpire-202403.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 05:08 UTC

On Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:57 pm, D wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:18:44 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>> Fritz Wuehler wrote:
>>>
>>> lol.
>>
>> You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
>> privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
>> would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?
>
> used judiciously, omnimix and tor browser work better than anything
> else . . . those that live by the sword have always ruled the world

Those that live by the sword, die by the sword.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<ut0mql$24k0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17222&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17222

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 05:37:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 05:37 UTC

On 2024-03-14, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Anonymous wrote:

>>> That is not the point. You and possibly I, can protect ourselves as long
>>> as we are not high value targets.
>>>
>>> But the masses who do not know about computers will have their human
>>> rights violated. That is the problem.
>>
>> No, the problem is THEY DON'T CARE!
>>
>> Offer them easy to use privacy tools, THEY DON'T CARE!
>> Offer them PGP-capable mail clients for webmailers, THEY DON'T CARE!
>> Offer them Mastodon for X, THEY DON'T CARE!
>> Offer them XMPP for WhatsApp, THEY DON'T CARE!
>>
>> THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE!
>>
>> But, my friend, our time will come ...
>>

> You make a good point. The next logical question is... _why_ don't they
> care?

They do not are because there is nothng that they can do about it. They
do not understand what the problem and why it is a problem and they do
not have the time or the background to know what the problem is and what
to do about it. And thy distrust other ( your ducation has produced
that) that they are not going to jump on any tool anyone tells them will
solve the ununderstood problem.

Life has enought issues to take up all of anyone's time if they worry
about even .000001% of them. How to decide which ones to spend time on
if you understand none of them?

> Worsening education? Slavery to their smart phones? Existential pressures?

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240315.055129.a8649824@yamn.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17223&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17223

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 05:51:29 +0000
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
From: nob...@yamn.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 05:51 UTC

On Thu 14 Mar 2024 10:18 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Fritz Wuehler wrote:
>> On Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:10 am, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>>
>>> So no reason to be scared of the British government.
>>>

>> lol.
>
> You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
> privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
> would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?

The majority of the West's populations believe their governments
constant propaganda that they are free societies. The UK has
no free speech, with anything contradicting official Marxist state
narrative labelled 'hate speech' - straight out of Orwell.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<7fe743ae-8e2e-086e-bc22-13bc01e6248f@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17225&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17225

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:12:09 +0100
 by: D - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:12 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024, Anonymous wrote:

> On Thu 14 Mar 2024 10:18 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> Fritz Wuehler wrote:

>>> lol.
>>
>> You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
>> privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
>> would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?
>>
> The majority of the West's populations believe their governments
> constant propaganda that they are free societies. The UK has
> no free speech, with anything contradicting official Marxist state narrative
> labelled 'hate speech' - straight out of Orwell.

Freedom in the modern world, is a continuum across many different axles. I
would argue that on some, the west is way more free than north korea. On
others, I'm certain north korea might be more free (if you belong to "the
party" for instance, I'm certain you are more free in north korea than in
northern europe for some things).

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240315104412.15E241200C8@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17226&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17226

Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:44:12 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:44 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:51:25 +0000, Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org>
wrote:

> In article <de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net> D wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>
>> In article <de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net> D wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>
> [Tuta spammer snipped]
>

>> But the masses who do not know about computers will have their human
>> rights violated. That is the problem.
>
> No, the problem is THEY DON'T CARE!
>
> Offer them easy to use privacy tools, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them PGP-capable mail clients for webmailers, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them Mastodon for X, THEY DON'T CARE!
> Offer them XMPP for WhatsApp, THEY DON'T CARE!
>
> THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE!

Spot-on, my friend. I have observed this for some 3 decades, since the
Cypherpunks were active in the 1990s. The Cypherpunks and the authorities
alike both suffered from the same delusion -- that people actually /cared/
about their privacy, and furthermore, that if the tools were made widely
available, they would be widely adopted.

The Cypherpunks had the idea, "Build it and they will come..." and so they
built it, but they didn't come. The authorities feared that criminals and
others would adopt these tools en-masse, but they didn't.

> But, my friend, our time will come ...

I /used/ to believe that, but no longer. I simply don't know what it's going
to take to wake the masses from their slumber. If anything, things are /worse/
now, due to the mass proliferation of mobile phones. Young people, in
particular, are literally *addicted* to these devices -- something the
designers /knew/ about. It is no accident that Tim Cook refuses to let his
nephew own or use one. I believe the same may be true of Bill Gates's
children.

Psychological studies have shown that separation from their devices induces
real anxiety in young people. Just look at social media today, and you see
people openly describing things about their life to all and sundry -- things
that I would never have done, when I was their age. The younger generation
today barely even have a /concept/ of privacy, let alone the desire to have
it.

Stainless Steel Rat

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<20240315110531.6FAD51200C8@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17227&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17227

Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:05:31 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.privacy,alt.security.pgp
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:05 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:20:27 -0700, "David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

> On 3/13/2024 6:14 PM, anonymous wrote:
>> Encrypted communications app Signal is mulling an exit from the UK
>> market in response to a new law threatening its core operational model,
>> while E2EE email service provider Tutanota is taking the opposite
>> approach, pledging to stay and help the British protect their
>> communications from government scrutiny.
>
> [snipped]
>
> Instead of an encryption service, use PGP.
>
> http://www.rossde.com/

Excellent advice. Unfortunately, for the vast majority of the public, this
advice is about as acceptable as a glass full of castor oil.

Stainless Steel Rat

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<06739d125080bc3a1e282b2eab63f811@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17229&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17229

From: J...@M (D)
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:29:18 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:29 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 06:08:58 +0100, Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-202403.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
>On Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:57 pm, D wrote:

>>> You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
>>> privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
>>> would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?
>>
>> used judiciously, omnimix and tor browser work better than anything
>> else . . . those that live by the sword have always ruled the world
>>
>Those that live by the sword, die by the sword.

can't fight city hall

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<cb7f12e2-6177-d006-28cf-8b85814f780d@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17230&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17230

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:52:12 +0100
 by: D - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:52 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:51:25 +0000, Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net> D wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>>
>>> In article <de64e66c-d288-e066-39b0-e90566dd4c4f@example.net> D wrote:
>>> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>>
>> [Tuta spammer snipped]
>>

>>> But the masses who do not know about computers will have their human
>>> rights violated. That is the problem.
>>
>> No, the problem is THEY DON'T CARE!
>>
>> Offer them easy to use privacy tools, THEY DON'T CARE!
>> Offer them PGP-capable mail clients for webmailers, THEY DON'T CARE!
>> Offer them Mastodon for X, THEY DON'T CARE!
>> Offer them XMPP for WhatsApp, THEY DON'T CARE!
>>
>> THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE!
>
> Spot-on, my friend. I have observed this for some 3 decades, since the
> Cypherpunks were active in the 1990s. The Cypherpunks and the authorities
> alike both suffered from the same delusion -- that people actually /cared/
> about their privacy, and furthermore, that if the tools were made widely
> available, they would be widely adopted.
>
> The Cypherpunks had the idea, "Build it and they will come..." and so they
> built it, but they didn't come. The authorities feared that criminals and
> others would adopt these tools en-masse, but they didn't.
>
>> But, my friend, our time will come ...
>
> I /used/ to believe that, but no longer. I simply don't know what it's going
> to take to wake the masses from their slumber. If anything, things are /worse/
> now, due to the mass proliferation of mobile phones. Young people, in
> particular, are literally *addicted* to these devices -- something the
> designers /knew/ about. It is no accident that Tim Cook refuses to let his
> nephew own or use one. I believe the same may be true of Bill Gates's
> children.
>
> Psychological studies have shown that separation from their devices induces
> real anxiety in young people. Just look at social media today, and you see
> people openly describing things about their life to all and sundry -- things
> that I would never have done, when I was their age. The younger generation
> today barely even have a /concept/ of privacy, let alone the desire to have
> it.

When considering the social credit rating apps in China and how china is
using that tool to enforce compliance by the chinese public, yes, it seems
like even there, people do not care enough to protest at scale.

I wonder if, as usual, nothing will happen, rage will boil under the
surface, until a violent reaction takes place? Societies always take a
long time to react, almost always too long, and then once they do, they
over react with tears and blood as a result.

In terms of smart phone addiction, I teach, and I see it all the time.
Students today get worse and worse, and I try to teach them problem
solving, initiative, being on time, asking questions etc. but it is tough.
In every class of 35, there's about 5 who have an inner initiative, 20 who
just float along the path of least resistance, and 15 who I wonder will
ever manage to survive. They are like robots complaining as soon as they
encounter the slightest resistance or difficulty.

But it's the top 5 that keeps my passion for teaching alive! They are the
ones who will become future cypher punks the ones who do care deeply.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<476bdb4815c2cd33f4009d79230ab570@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17231&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17231

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:09:27 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:09 UTC

Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:
>On Thu 14 Mar 2024 10:18 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> Fritz Wuehler wrote:

>>> lol.
>>
>> You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
>> privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
>> would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?
>>
>The majority of the West's populations believe their governments
>constant propaganda that they are free societies. The UK has
>no free speech, with anything contradicting official Marxist state
>narrative labelled 'hate speech' - straight out of Orwell.

The same goes for Germany. And that dictation of public opinion
standards smothering any kind of sincere exchange of views, e.g. about
vital issues like environmental pollution, energy politics, mass
immigration and Zionism, inevitably brings radical counterforces to the
scene. The stated 'lack of alternatives' frustrates our population and
thereby is the basic threat to our democracy throwing it out of balance
by provoking harsh reactions.

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law, Tutanota Pledges to Stay

<e32972121980e86f0dbc6c5e10444742@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17234&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17234

From: J...@M (D)
Tutanota Pledges to Stay
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:54:41 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:54 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:09:27 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:

>>> You really think they can keep me from using Tor and further approved
>>> privacy protecting communication techniques by law, which inevitably
>>> would convert our free society into an autocratic regime like China?
>>>
>>The majority of the West's populations believe their governments
>>constant propaganda that they are free societies. The UK has
>>no free speech, with anything contradicting official Marxist state
>>narrative labelled 'hate speech' - straight out of Orwell.
>
>The same goes for Germany. And that dictation of public opinion
>standards smothering any kind of sincere exchange of views, e.g. about
>vital issues like environmental pollution, energy politics, mass
>immigration and Zionism, inevitably brings radical counterforces to the
>scene. The stated 'lack of alternatives' frustrates our population and
>thereby is the basic threat to our democracy throwing it out of balance
>by provoking harsh reactions.

pacifists are powerless against activists . . . avoid not evade

Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,

<43644c4babe5eae4541346d8cc169589@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17239&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17239

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 01:07:38 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 00:07 UTC

>Excellent advice. Unfortunately, for the vast majority of the public,
this
>advice is about as acceptable as a glass full of castor oil.

Agree Stainless Steel Rat.
Well before you get to the glimmer of the need for privacy and the need
for PGP
most have a job to string together two paragraphs that make cognitive
sense.

I'm 70 years old now and have given up hope that friends, relations and
associates
might see the need for PGP and act accordingly.

I've tried to explain to researchers that delve into topics that might
require protection
for the sender and receiver, but I get blank stares.
So my follow-up is along the lines of, then don't expect whistleblowers
to make contact if
you think texting in the clear is perfectly acceptable.

Cheers
Fred