"When the going gets tough, the tough get empirical." -- Jon Carroll

computers / comp.mobile.android / As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

SubjectAuthor
* As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.micky
+* Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.nospam
|`* Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.Andy Burns
| `- Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.nospam
+- Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.micky
+* Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.VanguardLH
|`- Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.nospam
`* Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.Chris
 +* Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.micky
 |`- Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.nospam
 `- Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.sms

1
As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<slvedglm6akss6qfu7dddedbivt91mqoc6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17195&group=comp.mobile.android#17195

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 15:41:26 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:41 UTC

Actual question at the end of the story***. I like to tell stories.

Since there's a good chance I'll need to switch to the new phone when I
go boating, I decided to take it out of the box.

I bought it March of 2020 to prepare for a vacation that would involve
quite a bit of driving, but Corona made me cancel the trip.

I wonder how well the battery will work after 15 extra months without
being charged.

It woudln't start, more than a very dim outline of a battery, until I
plugged in the charger, but then it took only about 4 minutes to start
to start.

It said the battery was 61% charged, which I think is pretty good after
15 months. OTOH, it's been plugged into the charger for 2 hours now,
it says that it's charging, the lightning bolt icon for charging is
there, but it's gone to 46%!!! Is that because all the downloading uses
power? ????

Soon after it went to setup screens, which let me set essential
information. finally it suggested I copy everything from the old
phone, so I am and it's taken over an hour now to copy 119 applications.
I didnt' want all of them, but even with deleting some later, it's still
easier this way.

***
One of the questions was What wifi network. And the two strongest ones
listed were the one I usually use and the same letters with -5G on thae
end. Huh? Since when does my Verizon FIOS, fiber-optic router have
5G?

And how come this wasn't afaicr on the list when I first got the router.
There was a second one, but I'm sure it didnt' end in 5G, or if it did,
I'd not heard about 5G when I got FIOS a couple years ago.

This couldn't be the same as real 5G, could it?

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<260620211544251911%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17196&group=comp.mobile.android#17196

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 15:44:25 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:44 UTC

In article <slvedglm6akss6qfu7dddedbivt91mqoc6@4ax.com>, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> One of the questions was What wifi network. And the two strongest ones
> listed were the one I usually use and the same letters with -5G on thae
> end. Huh? Since when does my Verizon FIOS, fiber-optic router have
> 5G?
>
> And how come this wasn't afaicr on the list when I first got the router.
> There was a second one, but I'm sure it didnt' end in 5G, or if it did,
> I'd not heard about 5G when I got FIOS a couple years ago.
>
> This couldn't be the same as real 5G, could it?

it's a misconfigured wifi network.

the ssid with -5g is 5ghz, the one without is 2.4ghz.

they should both be using the same ssid, so that it can auto-switch as
needed, as signal strength and s/n varies.

until then, choose the -5g ssid.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<t81fdgdmnctikf79no44n0qr0gnl310ldp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17199&group=comp.mobile.android#17199

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 16:13:38 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 20:13 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 26 Jun 2021 15:41:26 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>It said the battery was 61% charged, which I think is pretty good after
>15 months. OTOH, it's been plugged into the charger for 2 hours now,
>it says that it's charging, the lightning bolt icon for charging is
>there, but it's gone to 46%!!! Is that because all the downloading uses
>power? ????

Downloading is over 10 minutes ago and it's up 1% to 47%, ~20 minutes
and it 49%, so I think I'm in good shape.

BTW, about 9 months ago when I thought about ruining the battery before
I ever used the phone, I looked and they sell replacement batteries for
*this* phone, and there's a video about replacing it. it's not so easy
but I can do it. (Instead of poppling the back off, you have to break a
glue line and then reglue it later! And then I think the battery is
taped firmly to the case.

The is a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. Anyone know what Redmi means?

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<1gcogo51couap.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17203&group=comp.mobile.android#17203

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 18:57:35 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 23:57 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> One of the questions was What wifi network. And the two strongest ones
> listed were the one I usually use and the same letters with -5G on thae
> end. Huh? Since when does my Verizon FIOS, fiber-optic router have
> 5G?
>
> And how come this wasn't afaicr on the list when I first got the router.
> There was a second one, but I'm sure it didnt' end in 5G, or if it did,
> I'd not heard about 5G when I got FIOS a couple years ago.
>
> This couldn't be the same as real 5G, could it?

Is it your intent to publicly announce that you cannot correctly read
specifications, along with never providing specifics, like *WHICH*
router by brand and model, you are asking about?

5G: Fifth generation (cellular)
5 GHz: wifi frequency band

Won't bother with further response until you decide to add specifics.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<260620212009195569%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17204&group=comp.mobile.android#17204

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 20:09:19 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 00:09 UTC

In article <1gcogo51couap.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> > One of the questions was What wifi network. And the two strongest ones
> > listed were the one I usually use and the same letters with -5G on thae
> > end. Huh? Since when does my Verizon FIOS, fiber-optic router have
> > 5G?
> >
> > And how come this wasn't afaicr on the list when I first got the router.
> > There was a second one, but I'm sure it didnt' end in 5G, or if it did,
> > I'd not heard about 5G when I got FIOS a couple years ago.
> >
> > This couldn't be the same as real 5G, could it?
>
> Is it your intent to publicly announce that you cannot correctly read
> specifications, along with never providing specifics, like *WHICH*
> router by brand and model, you are asking about?

that doesn't make any difference and doesn't change the answer.

> 5G: Fifth generation (cellular)
> 5 GHz: wifi frequency band

not always.

> Won't bother with further response until you decide to add specifics.

and you'll still get it wrong.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<sb9ijo$7rf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17208&group=comp.mobile.android#17208

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 10:06:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WUMgfM7wOh91oLgXQouLHODYdl4=
 by: Chris - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 10:06 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> Actual question at the end of the story***. I like to tell stories.
>
> Since there's a good chance I'll need to switch to the new phone when I
> go boating, I decided to take it out of the box.
>
> I bought it March of 2020 to prepare for a vacation that would involve
> quite a bit of driving, but Corona made me cancel the trip.
>
> I wonder how well the battery will work after 15 extra months without
> being charged.
>
> It woudln't start, more than a very dim outline of a battery, until I
> plugged in the charger, but then it took only about 4 minutes to start
> to start.
>
> It said the battery was 61% charged, which I think is pretty good after
> 15 months. OTOH, it's been plugged into the charger for 2 hours now,
> it says that it's charging, the lightning bolt icon for charging is
> there, but it's gone to 46%!!! Is that because all the downloading uses
> power? ????
>
> Soon after it went to setup screens, which let me set essential
> information. finally it suggested I copy everything from the old
> phone, so I am and it's taken over an hour now to copy 119 applications.
> I didnt' want all of them, but even with deleting some later, it's still
> easier this way.
>
> ***
> One of the questions was What wifi network. And the two strongest ones
> listed were the one I usually use and the same letters with -5G on thae
> end. Huh? Since when does my Verizon FIOS, fiber-optic router have
> 5G?
>
> And how come this wasn't afaicr on the list when I first got the router.
> There was a second one, but I'm sure it didnt' end in 5G, or if it did,
> I'd not heard about 5G when I got FIOS a couple years ago.
>
> This couldn't be the same as real 5G, could it?

It isn't. Many Wifi routers have two bands 2.4GHz and 5GHz that's what
you're seeing.

Mobile data technologies are defined by "Generation". We're currently
transitioning from the 4th to the 5th.

wifi "5G" = 5GHz
Mobile/cellular "5G" = 5th generation

Totally different and unrelated.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<im5hdgptc4cb2fv0tl6216u5pvs5eu32ve@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17212&group=comp.mobile.android#17212

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 11:22:58 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:22 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 27 Jun 2021 10:06:48 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> Actual question at the end of the story***. I like to tell stories.
>>
>> Since there's a good chance I'll need to switch to the new phone when I
>> go boating, I decided to take it out of the box.
>>
>> I bought it March of 2020 to prepare for a vacation that would involve
>> quite a bit of driving, but Corona made me cancel the trip.
>>
>> I wonder how well the battery will work after 15 extra months without
>> being charged.
>>
>> It woudln't start, more than a very dim outline of a battery, until I
>> plugged in the charger, but then it took only about 4 minutes to start
>> to start.
>>
>> It said the battery was 61% charged, which I think is pretty good after
>> 15 months. OTOH, it's been plugged into the charger for 2 hours now,
>> it says that it's charging, the lightning bolt icon for charging is
>> there, but it's gone to 46%!!! Is that because all the downloading uses
>> power? ????
>>
>> Soon after it went to setup screens, which let me set essential
>> information. finally it suggested I copy everything from the old
>> phone, so I am and it's taken over an hour now to copy 119 applications.
>> I didnt' want all of them, but even with deleting some later, it's still
>> easier this way.
>>
>> ***
>> One of the questions was What wifi network. And the two strongest ones
>> listed were the one I usually use and the same letters with -5G on thae
>> end. Huh? Since when does my Verizon FIOS, fiber-optic router have
>> 5G?
>>
>> And how come this wasn't afaicr on the list when I first got the router.
>> There was a second one, but I'm sure it didnt' end in 5G, or if it did,
>> I'd not heard about 5G when I got FIOS a couple years ago.
>>
>> This couldn't be the same as real 5G, could it?
>
>It isn't. Many Wifi routers have two bands 2.4GHz and 5GHz that's what
>you're seeing.

Aha, 5G = 5GHz. Makes sense.

>Mobile data technologies are defined by "Generation". We're currently
>transitioning from the 4th to the 5th.
>
>wifi "5G" = 5GHz
>Mobile/cellular "5G" = 5th generation
>
>Totally different and unrelated.

Why do we only have 26 letters and 10 digits? We need more letters to
avoid this confusion.

Now I recall that I reade that 5GHz had greater range but was weaker
than 2.4GHz, or maybe the other way around.

Thanks, and thanks everyone.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<270620211126091266%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17213&group=comp.mobile.android#17213

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 11:26:09 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:26 UTC

In article <im5hdgptc4cb2fv0tl6216u5pvs5eu32ve@4ax.com>, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Now I recall that I reade that 5GHz had greater range but was weaker
> than 2.4GHz, or maybe the other way around.

5ghz has higher bandwidth, shorter range, partly because it doesn't
penetrate walls as much.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<sbalk8$a1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17225&group=comp.mobile.android#17225

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 13:04:23 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 20:04 UTC

On 6/27/2021 3:06 AM, Chris wrote:

<snip>

> Mobile data technologies are defined by "Generation". We're currently
> transitioning from the 4th to the 5th.

I wish that the standards committees would have designated mmWave 5G as
6G. There are way too many non-tech people that don't understand the big
differences between low and mid-band 5G, and mmWave 5G. The
infrastructure is different and the uses are different.

It also complicates things for governmental agencies. We have a lot of
people in my city insisting that all the 5G small cells that Verizon is
putting in on streetlight poles are unnecessary because Verizon already
has excellent coverage without them (though AT&T users might welcome
AT&T small cells, which AT&T is yet to start to install). But the
Verizon mmWave 5G small cells are not primarily intended for phones to
connect to, they're for wireless home broadband now, and for IOT in the
not-too-distant future.

mmWave 5G is much faster and with much lower latency than low and mid
band 5G. It should be called 6G or something less confusing. You also
have some 5G phones that don't support mmWave and some that do. And
really, low and mid-band 5G are sufficient for phones unless perhaps the
phone is being used as a hotspot and you need gigabit speeds.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<ik0p1dFe2voU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17264&group=comp.mobile.android#17264

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:29:01 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:29 UTC

nospam wrote:

> it's a misconfigured wifi network.
>
> the ssid with -5g is 5ghz, the one without is 2.4ghz.

I'd say it's a deliberately configured wifi SSID, rather than
misconfigured. I do the same to confine some devices to one band while
allowing others to access the other band.

Re: As Hamlet asked, 5G or not 5G? That is the question.

<290620211109465827%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17269&group=comp.mobile.android#17269

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 11:09:46 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:09 UTC

In article <ik0p1dFe2voU2@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> > it's a misconfigured wifi network.
> >
> > the ssid with -5g is 5ghz, the one without is 2.4ghz.
>
> I'd say it's a deliberately configured wifi SSID, rather than
> misconfigured.

it's often the default, but they should always be set to the same ssid
so that wireless devices can automatically switch between the two bands
as needed when conditions change, rather than drop entirely (5ghz
doesn't propagate as far) or be stuck on the slower 2.4ghz link when
the 5ghz signal is strong.

some routers can even set the rssi level when a switchover occurs but
that's largely overkill.

put simply, when the ssids are the same, you always get the fastest
connection possible, without needing to manually switch.

> I do the same to confine some devices to one band while
> allowing others to access the other band.

one has no effect on the other.

some devices only have 2.4ghz radios (mainly iot) and can only see the
2.4 ghz band, but that's about it.