From: sla...@nowhe.re (slash)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Can't figure out how to use a CUPS print server on LAN
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 22:56:17 +0100
 by: slash - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 21:56 UTC

Hi,

I have CUPS running, and printing, on another Linux box. CUPS is installed, but
not running, on the local box. On this box, Slackware 15, KDE, I get this far:

https://i.ibb.co/Tt8jxL7/print-settings.png

If I close that window, everything is lost, I have to connect again to the
server. Even with that window still open, from any application, if I try to
print, I get a "No printer available" type of message.

What am I missing? I've seen plenty of CUPS tutorial around, but no one covering
this case.

Thanks for any hint.

/

Re: Can't figure out how to use a CUPS print server on LAN

<slrnu57q6e.e9g.syl@elvira.therockgarden.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1837&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1837

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: syl...@therockgarden.ca (Sylvain Robitaille)
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 17:18:06 GMT
 by: Sylvain Robitaille - Thu, 4 May 2023 17:18 UTC

On 2023-03-16, slash wrote:

> I have CUPS running, and printing, on another Linux box. CUPS is
> installed, but not running, on the local box. On this box, Slackware
> 15, KDE, I get this far:
>
> https://i.ibb.co/Tt8jxL7/print-settings.png
>
> If I close that window, everything is lost, I have to connect again to
> the server. Even with that window still open, from any application, if
> I try to print, I get a "No printer available" type of message.
>
> What am I missing? I've seen plenty of CUPS tutorial around, but no
> one covering this case.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't read newsgroups as regularly
as I once did, but here goes my (hopefully not too feeble) attempt to
help ...

### /etc/cups/client.conf
ServerName printhost.mydomain.tld/version=1.1

(well, mine has extensive comments in the file as well ...)

See also client.conf(5) ("man client.conf"), and (possibly?)
/usr/doc/cups-${version}/help/man-client.conf.html

I hope that helps ...

Sylvain Robitaille syl@therockgarden.ca

Re: Can't figure out how to use a CUPS print server on LAN

<u32es5$299g6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1840&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1840

From: sla...@invalid.invalid (slash)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 10:31:01 +0200
 by: slash - Fri, 5 May 2023 08:31 UTC

On 5/4/23 19:18, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
> On 2023-03-16, slash wrote:
>
>> I have CUPS running, and printing, on another Linux box. CUPS is
>> installed, but not running, on the local box. On this box, Slackware
>> 15, KDE, I get this far:
>>
>> https://i.ibb.co/Tt8jxL7/print-settings.png
>>
>> If I close that window, everything is lost, I have to connect again to
>> the server. Even with that window still open, from any application, if
>> I try to print, I get a "No printer available" type of message.
>>
>> What am I missing? I've seen plenty of CUPS tutorial around, but no
>> one covering this case.
>
> Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't read newsgroups as regularly
> as I once did, but here goes my (hopefully not too feeble) attempt to
> help ...
>
> ### /etc/cups/client.conf
> ServerName printhost.mydomain.tld/version=1.1
>
> (well, mine has extensive comments in the file as well ...)
>
> See also client.conf(5) ("man client.conf"), and (possibly?)
> /usr/doc/cups-${version}/help/man-client.conf.html
>
> I hope that helps ...

Thanks Sylvain, your help is really appreciated. I'll look into it ASAP.

--
/