From: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Goon Ghule betrays Deja News
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 01:38:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 01:38 UTC

Do you really want Reddit api to hog your data limits?

From vjp2.at@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com Wed Aug 17 21:40:24 2016
From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: sugg: a soc net style newsreader
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 01:40:08 +0000 (UTC)

I feel social networks and blogs risk monopolisation and censorship, force
conformity, use unnecessary resources, require too fancy software, and
fragment users. Usenet in the 1990s united the world. I was at an event
discussing crowdsourcing for science and folks lamented the demise of usenet.

I'd like to see a reader both online (accessible by lynx browser) and as
an app that looks and feels like a social network. It should most of all
notify you when somone replies to your posts and when your friends post. It
should let you rank (1-10) how important posts are and so decide what to show
you first. I had a celfon in 1990-2009. Dumped it. I really get annoyed when
they ask me for a celfon or to update my browser.

I think MS Outlook's downloading a use list of groups crippled usenet, and
Google has not maintained the deja news franchise (some stuff seems to have
disappeared). Also they did not maintain the hierarchy, which would have
better followed academic departments.

I also think the moderator fanaticism was crippling. You can use kill
files instead of depend on the whim of others. We should allow individuals to
control what they view, not others.

One special peeve is, since I work in fields where brainstorming is
important, I would crosspost to groups I wanted to bring together. But the
narrow minded would complain they didn't want to hear it. I've actually seen
a strong enough current of support for crossposting (now disabled by google
groups, BTW) on the grounds it was more efficient than multiple posts to
multiple groups.

I really do think the internet of the 1990s was freer. Too many search
engines try to control what you see. They even disable booleans. Maybe they
do it to try to be helpful, maybe they are doing it to protect paying
customers, I can't tell. I have an analogy in Otmar Mergenthaler's linotype
leading ot an explosion of press freedom and hence democracies (in places
like Iran, Russia, Germany) in the late 1800s. Of course we know what
happened, govt learned to control the press. Well, look around, same with
internet - maybe not here, but most places.

Remember the orig net was peer-to-peer. Now everyone seems to be logged
in from a server farm in Texas. So where's the "inter" in internet?

Re: Goon Ghule betrays Deja News

<1u73g875o4jm5.dlg@sqwertz.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1726&group=news.software.readers#1726

From: sqwert...@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Subject: Re: Goon Ghule betrays Deja News
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:28:42 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:28 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 01:38:47 -0000 (UTC),
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> It should let you rank (1-10) how important posts are and so
> decide what to show you first.

And a big "Fuck That" to that.

[snip rest unread]

=sw

Re: Goon Ghule betrays Deja News

<umhrlc$11c4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1727&group=news.software.readers#1727

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:50:20 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 18:50 UTC

On 12/27/23 16:28, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 01:38:47 -0000 (UTC),
> vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>
>> It should let you rank (1-10) how important posts are and so
>> decide what to show you first.
>
> And a big "Fuck That" to that.
>
> [snip rest unread]
>
> =sw

People who write unimportant posts usually get outraged by such proposals.