Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: no.s...@me.com (Dr Stephen Strange)
Subject: Add Time And Date Text To JPEG File From Command Line
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:58:44 +0000
 by: Dr Stephen Strange - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:58 UTC

I have a webcam that captures a JPG file at regular intervals which I
then upload to my site using rsync all done via a cronjob

Is there any way I can overlay a Time And Date stamp onto the JPG file
from the command line (ie a bash script) before I upload it??

Re: Add Time And Date Text To JPEG File From Command Line

<D4crN.240104$c3Ea.239998@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17292&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17292

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:00:19 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:00 UTC

On 2024-01-21 09:58, Dr Stephen Strange wrote:
> I have a webcam that captures a JPG file at regular intervals which I
> then upload to my site using rsync all done via a cronjob
>
> Is there any way I can overlay a Time And Date stamp onto the JPG file
> from the command line (ie a bash script) before I upload it??

Do you mean date-time stamp in into the meta data or write the date and
time as a visible stamp onto the image?

I) For the former use exiftool (you can download and install this from):
https://exiftool.org/install.html#MacOS

Then google on how to do what you want to do. Exiftool is very potent
but not easy to determine the commands in some cases. But somebody out
there has figured it out.

II) For the later:
If it's a simple one-time thing for one or a few photos, you could open
them in preview and use markup to add a text field.

Otherwise, there are various watermarking tools such as Fotor . I have
not tried it. Google away.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Add Time And Date Text To JPEG File From Command Line

<uok2ls$cj6r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17293&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17293

From: drole...@2017usenet1.subsume.com (Doc O'Leary ,)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:34:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Doc O'Leary , - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:34 UTC

For your reference, records indicate that
Dr Stephen Strange <no.spam@me.com> wrote:

> I have a webcam that captures a JPG file at regular intervals which I
> then upload to my site using rsync all done via a cronjob
>
> Is there any way I can overlay a Time And Date stamp onto the JPG file
> from the command line (ie a bash script) before I upload it??

Not Mac-specific, but that’s the kind of thing I would use ImageMagick to
do (normally on the Linux server side of the process). On the Mac,
Automator seems to have a “Create Banner Image From Text” action, and
Shortcuts seems to have “Overlay Text”, so those would be my starting
points if I wasn’t able to use ImageMagick.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Re: Add Time And Date Text To JPEG File From Command Line

<jmGdndxj2vJuIjL4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17301&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17301

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: no.s...@me.com (Dr Stephen Strange)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:32:35 +0000
 by: Dr Stephen Strange - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:32 UTC

Doc O'Leary wrote:
> For your reference, records indicate that
> Dr Stephen Strange <no.spam@me.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a webcam that captures a JPG file at regular intervals which I
>> then upload to my site using rsync all done via a cronjob
>>
>> Is there any way I can overlay a Time And Date stamp onto the JPG file
>> from the command line (ie a bash script) before I upload it??
>
> Not Mac-specific, but that’s the kind of thing I would use ImageMagick to
> do (normally on the Linux server side of the process). On the Mac,
> Automator seems to have a “Create Banner Image From Text” action, and
> Shortcuts seems to have “Overlay Text”, so those would be my starting
> points if I wasn’t able to use ImageMagick.

Ok thanks for the replies