Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs (MACINTOSH) -- Topic on #Linux

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: distro vs. happiness

SubjectAuthor
* distro vs. happinessJim Diamond
+* Re: distro vs. happinessHenrik Carlqvist
|`- Re: distro vs. happinessJim Diamond
+* Re: distro vs. happinessbad sector
|+- Re: distro vs. happinessmaus
|+* Re: distro vs. happinessJim Diamond
||`* Re: distro vs. happinessbad sector
|| +- Re: distro vs. happinessbad sector
|| `- Re: distro vs. happinessJim Diamond
|`- Re: distro vs. happinessMike Small
`- Re: distro vs. happinessJimmy Johnson

1
distro vs. happiness

<slrnu0hlun.mug.JimDiamond@x360.localdomain>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1658&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1658

From: JimDiam...@ns.sympatico.ca (Jim Diamond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: distro vs. happiness
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 14:45:43 -0400
 by: Jim Diamond - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 18:45 UTC

This article gives some info on Linux distro vs. happiness. Scroll about
1/2 way down to find out where Slackware places.

https://lunduke.substack.com/p/the-least-happy-computer-users-those

Jim

Re: distro vs. happiness

<tuatfv$12vp9$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1664&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1664

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: distro vs. happiness
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:08:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:08 UTC

I think that a feeling of being in control of things make you happy. With
Slackware you have full control.

regards Henrik

Re: distro vs. happiness

<slrnu0ic1c.8fu.JimDiamond@x360.localdomain>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1665&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1665

From: JimDiam...@ns.sympatico.ca (Jim Diamond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:02:34 -0400
 by: Jim Diamond - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 01:02 UTC

On 2023-03-08 at 17:08 AST, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> I think that a feeling of being in control of things make you happy. With
> Slackware you have full control.
>
> regards Henrik

I was thinking it was "don't have systemd". But I suppose that is included
in what you said. :-)

Re: distro vs. happiness

<99ednUwdAYdEEZP5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1688&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1688

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:39:21 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 02:39 UTC

On 3/8/23 13:45, Jim Diamond wrote:
> This article gives some info on Linux distro vs. happiness. Scroll about
> 1/2 way down to find out where Slackware places.
>
> https://lunduke.substack.com/p/the-least-happy-computer-users-those
>
> Jim

Less than a year ago I upgraded from running 2 or 3 distros all the way
to 7 so that I can boot a different one every day of the week. It was
scary for a good many momths, running into more problems than I ever
would have wanted as I tried to make them all run the same apps set up
more or less the same way on the desktop that I want. BUT, truth be
told, I am starting to feel very OK with it and would not have it any
other way now! Needles to say Slackware is there (every Wednesday). Why?
Because it was the first Linux I ever tried, probably around '95 or '96,
and even now when I upgrade and see code being compiled... if I had to
shed 6 of the 7 Slackware would remain.

Re: distro vs. happiness

<k784d5F2dlmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1691&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1691

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 13 Mar 2023 08:15:33 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 08:15 UTC

On 2023-03-13, bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> wrote:
> On 3/8/23 13:45, Jim Diamond wrote:
>> This article gives some info on Linux distro vs. happiness. Scroll about
>> 1/2 way down to find out where Slackware places.
>>
>> https://lunduke.substack.com/p/the-least-happy-computer-users-those
>>
>> Jim
>
> Less than a year ago I upgraded from running 2 or 3 distros all the way
> to 7 so that I can boot a different one every day of the week. It was
> scary for a good many momths, running into more problems than I ever
> would have wanted as I tried to make them all run the same apps set up
> more or less the same way on the desktop that I want. BUT, truth be
> told, I am starting to feel very OK with it and would not have it any
> other way now! Needles to say Slackware is there (every Wednesday). Why?
> Because it was the first Linux I ever tried, probably around '95 or '96,
> and even now when I upgrade and see code being compiled... if I had to
> shed 6 of the 7 Slackware would remain.

++

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: distro vs. happiness

<slrnu0vc61.o4j.JimDiamond@x360.localdomain>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1693&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1693

From: JimDiam...@ns.sympatico.ca (Jim Diamond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 20:24:49 -0300
 by: Jim Diamond - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:24 UTC

On 2023-03-12 at 23:39 ADT, bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> wrote:
> On 3/8/23 13:45, Jim Diamond wrote:
>> This article gives some info on Linux distro vs. happiness. Scroll about
>> 1/2 way down to find out where Slackware places.
>>
>> https://lunduke.substack.com/p/the-least-happy-computer-users-those
>>
>> Jim
>
> Less than a year ago I upgraded from running 2 or 3 distros all the way
> to 7 so that I can boot a different one every day of the week. It was
> scary for a good many momths, running into more problems than I ever
> would have wanted as I tried to make them all run the same apps set up
> more or less the same way on the desktop that I want. BUT, truth be
> told, I am starting to feel very OK with it and would not have it any
> other way now! Needles to say Slackware is there (every Wednesday). Why?
> Because it was the first Linux I ever tried, probably around '95 or '96,
> and even now when I upgrade and see code being compiled... if I had to
> shed 6 of the 7 Slackware would remain.

I understand why you would keep Slackware. I have to admit I'm really
curious about why you bother with the other ones. (I played around with a
couple before 15.0 came out because 14.2 was getting too old to use, but
hopefully that issue won't happen again.)

Jim

Re: distro vs. happiness

<zgCdnZLhvZyJM4z5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1712&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1712

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 07:37:56 -0400
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
 by: bad sector - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 11:37 UTC

On 3/13/23 19:24, Jim Diamond wrote:
> On 2023-03-12 at 23:39 ADT, bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> wrote:
>> On 3/8/23 13:45, Jim Diamond wrote:
>>> This article gives some info on Linux distro vs. happiness. Scroll about
>>> 1/2 way down to find out where Slackware places.
>>>
>>> https://lunduke.substack.com/p/the-least-happy-computer-users-those
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> Less than a year ago I upgraded from running 2 or 3 distros all the way
>> to 7 so that I can boot a different one every day of the week. It was
>> scary for a good many momths, running into more problems than I ever
>> would have wanted as I tried to make them all run the same apps set up
>> more or less the same way on the desktop that I want. BUT, truth be
>> told, I am starting to feel very OK with it and would not have it any
>> other way now! Needles to say Slackware is there (every Wednesday). Why?
>> Because it was the first Linux I ever tried, probably around '95 or '96,
>> and even now when I upgrade and see code being compiled... if I had to
>> shed 6 of the 7 Slackware would remain.
>
> I understand why you would keep Slackware. I have to admit I'm really
> curious about why you bother with the other ones. (I played around with a
> couple before 15.0 came out because 14.2 was getting too old to use, but
> hopefully that issue won't happen again.)
>
> Jim

I tinker around with the other ones because, as I suspected would
happen, the amount of useless differences helps me get better insight
into using Linux. The imposed stupidities in some others make me
appreciate Slackware's purist KISS philosophy (which does NOT have to
mean using only the keyboard). When I see Sylpheed operate without a
single hickup in a single remote directory used by all the 7 distros
then I see how that's an example I'd insist for every other app to
follow religiously but I'd never dicover this without stretching the
constraints! Ditto for Slackware allowing me to log in at cLi level
before starting X with a simple 'startx'. The freaking DMs imposed by
nearly all other distros make me wanna puke, all they do is hide what's
going on I mean IF starting a DE is too complicated (which it isn't
unless you MAKE it complicated) then why not log-in AND start X manually
and THEN start just the DE launching module of the DM? As I said
watching upgrades compiling is pure joy while most of the others are
getting a little too 'involved'. I can only recommend what I'm doing
because it has brought me only positives ...after about a year's worth
of walking barefoot on broken glass :-)

--
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive

Re: distro vs. happiness

<laudnVSLn8NqJ4z5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1714&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1714

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 08:32:54 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:32 UTC

On 3/15/23 07:37, bad sector wrote:
> On 3/13/23 19:24, Jim Diamond wrote:

>>> Less than a year ago I upgraded from running 2 or 3 distros all the way
>>> to 7 so that I can boot a different one every day of the week. It was
>>> scary for a good many momths, running into more problems than I ever
>>> would have wanted as I tried to make them all run the same apps set up
>>> more or less the same way on the desktop that I want. BUT, truth be
>>> told, I am starting to feel very OK with it and would not have it any
>>> other way now! Needles to say Slackware is there (every Wednesday). Why?
>>> Because it was the first Linux I ever tried, probably around '95 or '96,
>>> and even now when I upgrade and see code being compiled... if I had to
>>> shed 6 of the 7 Slackware would remain.
>>
>> I understand why you would keep Slackware.  I have to admit I'm really
>> curious about why you bother with the other ones.  (I played around
>> with a
>> couple before 15.0 came out because 14.2 was getting too old to use, but
>> hopefully that issue won't happen again.)
>>
>>                                  Jim
>
> I tinker around with the other ones because, as I suspected would
> happen, the amount of useless differences helps me get better insight
> into using Linux. The imposed stupidities in some others make me
> appreciate Slackware's purist KISS philosophy (which does NOT have to
> mean using only the keyboard). When I see Sylpheed operate without a
> single hickup in a single remote directory used by all the 7 distros
> then I see how that's an example I'd insist for every other app to
> follow religiously but I'd never dicover this without stretching the
> constraints! Ditto for Slackware allowing me to log in at cLi level
> before starting X with a simple 'startx'. The freaking DMs imposed by
> nearly all other distros make me wanna puke, all they do is hide what's
> going on I mean IF starting a DE is too complicated (which it isn't
> unless you MAKE it complicated) then why not log-in AND start X manually
> and THEN start just the DE launching module of the DM?

red-pencil:

I meant log-in and then start only the DE launching module of whatever DM

> As I said
> watching upgrades compiling is pure joy while most of the others are
> getting a little too 'involved'. I can only recommend what I'm doing
> because it has brought me only positives  ...after about a year's worth
> of walking barefoot on broken glass :-)

Re: distro vs. happiness

<tusudt$vki8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1715&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1715

From: Jim...@disposable.invalid (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 10:14:37 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 17:14 UTC

On 03/08/2023 10:45 AM, Jim Diamond wrote:
> This article gives some info on Linux distro vs. happiness. Scroll about
> 1/2 way down to find out where Slackware places.
>
> https://lunduke.substack.com/p/the-least-happy-computer-users-those
>
> Jim

Slackware is happiness for people who like to code and it's easy to use.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: distro vs. happiness

<slrnu1h939.kpl.JimDiamond@x360.localdomain>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1731&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1731

From: JimDiam...@jdvb.ca (Jim Diamond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:22:33 -0300
 by: Jim Diamond - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 18:22 UTC

On 2023-03-15 at 08:37 ADT, bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> wrote:
> On 3/13/23 19:24, Jim Diamond wrote:

z>>> Less than a year ago I upgraded from running 2 or 3 distros all the way
>>> to 7 so that I can boot a different one every day of the week. It was
>>> scary for a good many momths, running into more problems than I ever
>>> would have wanted as I tried to make them all run the same apps set up
>>> more or less the same way on the desktop that I want. BUT, truth be
>>> told, I am starting to feel very OK with it and would not have it any
>>> other way now! Needles to say Slackware is there (every Wednesday). Why?
>>> Because it was the first Linux I ever tried, probably around '95 or '96,
>>> and even now when I upgrade and see code being compiled... if I had to
>>> shed 6 of the 7 Slackware would remain.
>>
>> I understand why you would keep Slackware. I have to admit I'm really
>> curious about why you bother with the other ones. (I played around with a
>> couple before 15.0 came out because 14.2 was getting too old to use, but
>> hopefully that issue won't happen again.)

> I tinker around with the other ones because, as I suspected would
> happen, the amount of useless differences helps me get better insight
> into using Linux.
<snip>
> I can only recommend what I'm doing because it has brought me
> only positives ...after about a year's worth of walking barefoot on
> broken glass :-)

Huh. OK, I guess that makes sense. It seems like a painful way to achieve
the goal, but if it works for you, why not?

Jim

Re: distro vs. happiness

<jpkwn3asxbc.fsf@panix5.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1736&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1736

From: sma...@panix.com (Mike Small)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 21:33:11 -0400
 by: Mike Small - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 01:33 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> writes:

> On 3/8/23 13:45, Jim Diamond wrote:
>> This article gives some info on Linux distro vs. happiness. Scroll about
>> 1/2 way down to find out where Slackware places.
>>
>> https://lunduke.substack.com/p/the-least-happy-computer-users-those
>>
>> Jim
>
> Less than a year ago I upgraded from running 2 or 3 distros all the
> way to 7 so that I can boot a different one every day of the week. It
> was scary for a good many momths, running into more problems than I
> ever would have wanted as I tried to make them all run the same apps
> set up more or less the same way on the desktop that I want. BUT,
> truth be told, I am starting to feel very OK with it and would not
> have it any other way now! Needles to say Slackware is there (every
> Wednesday). Why? Because it was the first Linux I ever tried, probably
> around '95 or '96, and even now when I upgrade and see code being
> compiled... if I had to shed 6 of the 7 Slackware would remain.

I like it. I don't know if I'll reach your level (out of disk space for
one thing), but adopting that kind of attitude might cure the weird idea
possessing me that I have to 1. decide once and for all whether I'm a
NetBSD, OpenBSD, Slackware, Debian, or Plan 9 person and 2. be faithful
as if I'm married to one system. Distro promiscuity (and not over
thinking decisions) sounds more appealing.