computers / news.software.readers / Re: web access to newsgroups

SubjectAuthor
* web access to newsgroupsD
`* Re: web access to newsgroupskyonshi
 +- Re: web access to newsgroupskyonshi
 +* Re: web access to newsgroupsD
 |`* Re: web access to newsgroupsRetro Guy
 | `- Re: web access to newsgroupsD
 `- Re: web access to newsgroupsMarco Moock

1
web access to newsgroups

<4070e7aae4e93533af0e4fb5e096bc97@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1728&group=news.software.readers#1728

From: J...@M (D)
Subject: web access to newsgroups
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:15:44 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: D - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 17:15 UTC

always best to use a dedicated newsreader for connecting with nntp servers,
but rocksolid works great for web access to newsgroups, with "show headers"
checkbox for article reference . . . for the past couple of weeks noticing
more links to "novabbs.com" appearing in usenet newsgroup citations (since
google announced their planned closure of google2news this coming february)

https://www.novabbs.com/common/connect.php
>Clearnet Newsreader Access:
>Approximately 42,000 Usenet text groups
>Create an account on www.i2pn2.org (it's free)
>Direct your news client to: news.i2pn2.org:119 or 563
>Using i2p or Tor?
>Create an account on:
>rslight.i2p
>or
>fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion
>Connect your news client here:
>v77lu6t26velvaddm4gibyzd5sogskuczp7vwoc4vxmukvvaucva.b32.i2p
>or
>tk4pwu574u4zrndofwx7dtlh2g2swauhtfblyrbhzxypznomgxxhgqyd.onion:119
[end quote]
see also:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rocksolid+usenet
e.g. using Tor Browser 13.0.8 w/ meek bridge
https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/index.php

Re: web access to newsgroups

<umsh6h$1r46f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1731&group=news.software.readers#1731

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: web access to newsgroups
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:59:13 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:59 UTC

On 12/31/2023 6:15 PM, D wrote:
> always best to use a dedicated newsreader for connecting with nntp servers,
> but rocksolid works great for web access to newsgroups, with "show headers"
> checkbox for article reference . . . for the past couple of weeks noticing
> more links to "novabbs.com" appearing in usenet newsgroup citations (since
> google announced their planned closure of google2news this coming february)
>
> https://www.novabbs.com/common/connect.php
>> Clearnet Newsreader Access:
>> Approximately 42,000 Usenet text groups
>> Create an account on www.i2pn2.org (it's free)
>> Direct your news client to: news.i2pn2.org:119 or 563
>> Using i2p or Tor?
>> Create an account on:
>> rslight.i2p
>> or
>> fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion
>> Connect your news client here:
>> v77lu6t26velvaddm4gibyzd5sogskuczp7vwoc4vxmukvvaucva.b32.i2p
>> or
>> tk4pwu574u4zrndofwx7dtlh2g2swauhtfblyrbhzxypznomgxxhgqyd.onion:119
> [end quote]
>
> see also:
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rocksolid+usenet
> e.g. using Tor Browser 13.0.8 w/ meek bridge
> https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/index.php

doesn't seem to have exactly the newsgroups I actually would be
interested in

Re: web access to newsgroups

<umsi00$1r46f$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1732&group=news.software.readers#1732

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 21:12:48 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:12 UTC

On 12/31/2023 8:59 PM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 12/31/2023 6:15 PM, D wrote:
>> always best to use a dedicated newsreader for connecting with nntp
>> servers,
>> but rocksolid works great for web access to newsgroups, with "show
>> headers"
>> checkbox for article reference . . . for the past couple of weeks
>> noticing
>> more links to "novabbs.com" appearing in usenet newsgroup citations
>> (since
>> google announced their planned closure of google2news this coming
>> february)
>> https://www.novabbs.com/common/connect.php
>>> Clearnet Newsreader Access:
>>> Approximately 42,000 Usenet text groups
>>> Create an account on www.i2pn2.org (it's free)
>>> Direct your news client to: news.i2pn2.org:119 or 563
>>> Using i2p or Tor?
>>> Create an account on:
>>> rslight.i2p
>>> or
>>> fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion
>>> Connect your news client here:
>>> v77lu6t26velvaddm4gibyzd5sogskuczp7vwoc4vxmukvvaucva.b32.i2p
>>> or
>>> tk4pwu574u4zrndofwx7dtlh2g2swauhtfblyrbhzxypznomgxxhgqyd.onion:119
>> [end quote]
>> see also:
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rocksolid+usenet
>> e.g. using Tor Browser 13.0.8 w/ meek bridge
>> https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/index.php
>>
> doesn't seem to have exactly the newsgroups I actually would be
> interested in

but that web interface looks neat. I might play around with that for a
project.

Re: web access to newsgroups

<40766667ac399025578bd4d1971649b2@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1733&group=news.software.readers#1733

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 23:28:19 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: D - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:28 UTC

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:59:13 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 12/31/2023 6:15 PM, D wrote:
>> always best to use a dedicated newsreader for connecting with nntp servers,
>> but rocksolid works great for web access to newsgroups, with "show headers"
>> checkbox for article reference . . . for the past couple of weeks noticing
>> more links to "novabbs.com" appearing in usenet newsgroup citations (since
>> google announced their planned closure of google2news this coming february)
>> https://www.novabbs.com/common/connect.php
>>> Clearnet Newsreader Access:
>>> Approximately 42,000 Usenet text groups
>>> Create an account on www.i2pn2.org (it's free)
>>> Direct your news client to: news.i2pn2.org:119 or 563
>>> Using i2p or Tor?
>>> Create an account on:
>>> rslight.i2p
>>> or
>>> fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion
>>> Connect your news client here:
>>> v77lu6t26velvaddm4gibyzd5sogskuczp7vwoc4vxmukvvaucva.b32.i2p
>>> or
>>> tk4pwu574u4zrndofwx7dtlh2g2swauhtfblyrbhzxypznomgxxhgqyd.onion:119
>> [end quote]
>> see also:
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rocksolid+usenet
>> e.g. using Tor Browser 13.0.8 w/ meek bridge
>> https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/index.php
>>
>doesn't seem to have exactly the newsgroups I actually would be
>interested in

even the simplest freeware newsreader clients, e.g. Forte Free Agent 1.93
(2002-12-17) are way better than any web2news interface could possibly be;
but current googlegroups users, including those citing articles from that
soon to be defunct server, and other tcp/ip usenet archive sites (narkive,
etc.), may find the rocksolid light format more user-friendly than others:

https://github.com/Butterzz1288/rocksolid-light

40tude Dialog is an oldie but goodie (e.g., v2.0.15.1, 4d2b38.exe, 3.8 MB,
2005-2-7) but still runs great on Windows 11 23h2 and older, uses hamster
scoring, and nearly two decades later is still the best newsreader client:

https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/download.php
https://www-barghahn--online-de.translate.goog/4td_faq/download.php?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
>The last installation package officially published by the programmer Marcus Monnig
>is still available for download on the Internet under the file name 4d2b38.exe and
>can also be downloaded from this website: Installation package .
>https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/download/4d2b38.exe
>The installation package contains program version 2.0.15.1 (aka Build 1 of Beta 38).
>Explanations of 40tude Dialog's numbering systems can be found in the About section
>of this FAQ. https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/ueber.php#version
>This FAQ recommends updating the standard installation to the last published
>subversion of the program 2.0.15.41 (i.e. Build 41 of Beta 38), in which some
>program errors in the standard installation have been corrected. All you need to do
>is replace the Dialog.exe program file in the installation directory with the newer
>version. (For more information, see the Installation section of this FAQ.)
>https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/installation.php#update
>The update to Build 41 of Beta 38 can also be found (usually as a packed zip
>archive) variously on the Internet and here on the website: Update .
>https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/download/dialog_41.zip
(dialog_41.zip / 2.83 MB / 1 Files, 0 Folders), extracted . . .
(dialog.exe / 6.49 MB / v2.0.15.41 / 2005-08-29)
>The use of Build 84 of Beta 38 is expressly not recommended! (Explanations on this
>can also be found in the About section of this FAQ.) However, this version is also
>circulating on the Internet as an individual update. A possible download source for
>those interested who are aware of the risks of using an unreleased developer version
>but still want to test Build 84 of Beta 38 is: Update (not recommended!!)
>Copyright (c) 2009 - 2020 for the 40tude Dialog FAQ: Joachim Reiter (author) and the
>contributors to the Usenet news group de.comm.software.40tude-dialog (update)
[end quote]

Re: web access to newsgroups

<f19ecd5e7514bcdeb1c047e49557498d@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1734&group=news.software.readers#1734

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:40:38 +0000
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:40 UTC

D wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:59:13 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 12/31/2023 6:15 PM, D wrote:
>>> always best to use a dedicated newsreader for connecting with nntp servers,
>>> but rocksolid works great for web access to newsgroups, with "show headers"
>>> checkbox for article reference . . . for the past couple of weeks noticing
>>> more links to "novabbs.com" appearing in usenet newsgroup citations (since
>>> google announced their planned closure of google2news this coming february)
>>> https://www.novabbs.com/common/connect.php
>>> [end quote]
>>> see also:
>>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rocksolid+usenet
>>> e.g. using Tor Browser 13.0.8 w/ meek bridge
>>> https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/index.php
>>>
>>doesn't seem to have exactly the newsgroups I actually would be
>>interested in

> even the simplest freeware newsreader clients, e.g. Forte Free Agent 1.93
> (2002-12-17) are way better than any web2news interface could possibly be;
> but current googlegroups users, including those citing articles from that
> soon to be defunct server, and other tcp/ip usenet archive sites (narkive,
> etc.), may find the rocksolid light format more user-friendly than others:

> https://github.com/Butterzz1288/rocksolid-light

The above link is for a fork someone made when I was still on github. Not sure he's actually doing anything with it, but I haven't checked in a while.

The git repo for the referenced forum software above is:
https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light

--
Retro Guy

Re: web access to newsgroups

<ca481ce673ad643b12b3f325bfa4be04@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1735&group=news.software.readers#1735

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 02:54:34 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: D - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 01:54 UTC

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:40:38 +0000, retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:
>D wrote:
>>>>
>>>doesn't seem to have exactly the newsgroups I actually would be
>>>interested in
>
>> even the simplest freeware newsreader clients, e.g. Forte Free Agent 1.93
>> (2002-12-17) are way better than any web2news interface could possibly be;
>> but current googlegroups users, including those citing articles from that
>> soon to be defunct server, and other tcp/ip usenet archive sites (narkive,
>> etc.), may find the rocksolid light format more user-friendly than others:
>
>> https://github.com/Butterzz1288/rocksolid-light
>
>The above link is for a fork someone made when I was still on github. Not sure
>he's actually doing anything with it, but I haven't checked in a while.
>The git repo for the referenced forum software above is:
>https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light

many thanks! will henceforth (until further notice) refer to:

https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light

Re: web access to newsgroups

<umtudc$23foi$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1736&group=news.software.readers#1736

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:50:51 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 08:50 UTC

Am 31.12.2023 um 20:59:13 Uhr schrieb kyonshi:

> doesn't seem to have exactly the newsgroups I actually would be
> interested in

You can ask retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) to add them, maybe
he will do it.