"It's not just a computer -- it's your ass." -- Cal Keegan

computers / alt.bbs.synchronet / Fixings posts

SubjectAuthor
* Fixings postsNelgin
`* Fixings postsDigital Man
 `* Fixings postsNelgin
  +* Fixings postsDigital Man
  |`* Fixings postsNelgin
  | `* Fixings postsDigital Man
  |  `* Fixings postsNelgin
  |   `- Fixings postsMRO
  `- Fixings postsMRO

1
Fixings posts

<63A53AF0.44187.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17447&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17447

From: nel...@EOTLBBS.remove-eme-this (Nelgin)
Subject: Fixings posts
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 23:21:52 -0600
 by: Nelgin - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 05:21 UTC

To: Digital Man
I accidentally messed up my user.tab file and restored it from backup, not realizing a new user had registered since the last backup I was using.

He had made some posts but now a different user has the user number.

Is it just a simple matter of getting all the posts by the old sender_userid from the header and rewriting with the new userid as long as from matches the old username?

Thankfully he really only posted in one or two fido echoes but I also want to make sure any personal netmail is transfered over.

Thanks,
Nigel
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A60179.48644.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17448&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17448

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-ku6-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 11:28:57 -0800
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 19:28 UTC

To: Nelgin
Re: Fixings posts
By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Thu Dec 22 2022 11:21 pm

> I accidentally messed up my user.tab file and restored it from backup, not
> realizing a new user had registered since the last backup I was using.

You're aware that the user.tab is automatically backed-up nightly be SBBS?

> He had made some posts but now a different user has the user number.
>
> Is it just a simple matter of getting all the posts by the old sender_userid
> from the header and rewriting with the new userid as long as from matches
> the old username?

If by 'userid' you mean user number, yeah, that'd work, but I don't know that I'd bother.

> Thankfully he really only posted in one or two fido echoes but I also want
> to make sure any personal netmail is transfered over.

NetMail would be trickier because the user number is used to index the messages in the mail base. I'm not sure if just changing the message headers will fix the index or you'd have to run 'fixsmb' after doing so.
--
digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #9:
David St. Hubbins: I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.
Norco, CA WX: 64.8°F, 45.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A60CC3.44189.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17449&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17449

From: nel...@EOTLBBS.remove-xno-this (Nelgin)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 14:17:07 -0600
 by: Nelgin - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 20:17 UTC

To: Digital Man
Re: Fixings posts
By: Digital Man to Nelgin on Fri Dec 23 2022 11:28:57

> You're aware that the user.tab is automatically backed-up nightly be SBBS?

Yes, unfortunately it was a week after the event and I only keep 5 days so had to go from my offsite backup. I thought I checked for new users before hand but seems I didn't.
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A617DF.48646.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17450&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17450

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-11kh-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 13:04:31 -0800
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:04 UTC

To: Nelgin
Re: Fixings posts
By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Fri Dec 23 2022 02:17 pm

> Re: Fixings posts
> By: Digital Man to Nelgin on Fri Dec 23 2022 11:28:57
>
> > You're aware that the user.tab is automatically backed-up nightly be
> > SBBS?
>
> Yes, unfortunately it was a week after the event and I only keep 5 days so
> had to go from my offsite backup. I thought I checked for new users before
> hand but seems I didn't.

Ah, maybe increase that backup count in SCFG.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #17:
"Vertrauen" (ver-trow-en) translates to "trust" in German, and was a band name
Norco, CA WX: 68.3°F, 38.0% humidity, 1 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A61E8D.44191.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17451&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17451

From: nel...@EOTLBBS.remove-t9j-this (Nelgin)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 15:33:01 -0600
 by: Nelgin - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:33 UTC

To: Digital Man
Re: Fixings posts
By: Digital Man to Nelgin on Fri Dec 23 2022 13:04:31

> Ah, maybe increase that backup count in SCFG.

Usually I know if I screwed something up, this time it didn't become obvious until much later. No biggie. I will just make sure I check next time and be sure there have been no new user additions.
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A62302.48648.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17452&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17452

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-4sg-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 13:52:02 -0800
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:52 UTC

To: Nelgin
Re: Fixings posts
By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Fri Dec 23 2022 03:33 pm

> Re: Fixings posts
> By: Digital Man to Nelgin on Fri Dec 23 2022 13:04:31
>
> > Ah, maybe increase that backup count in SCFG.
>
> Usually I know if I screwed something up, this time it didn't become obvious
> until much later. No biggie. I will just make sure I check next time and be
> sure there have been no new user additions.

So what you'd you do your user.tab file?
--
digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #51:
I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And.. I was really.. I was alive
Norco, CA WX: 69.1°F, 35.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A65DE2.7784.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17453&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17453

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-66z-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 20:03:14 -0600
 by: MRO - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 02:03 UTC

To: Nelgin
Re: Fixings posts
By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Fri Dec 23 2022 02:17 pm

> Re: Fixings posts
> By: Digital Man to Nelgin on Fri Dec 23 2022 11:28:57
>
> > You're aware that the user.tab is automatically backed-up nightly be
> > SBBS?
>
> Yes, unfortunately it was a week after the event and I only keep 5 days so
> had to go from my offsite backup. I thought I checked for new users before
> hand but seems I didn't.

you should keep datafile backups every week and one full backup a month.
if you do that, you will have NO problems EVER.
when enough time has passed, go back and cull the minor backups for disk space.

Also the d'bridge author nick andre told me that you should reboot once a day to make sure things are in order and there's no locked nodes or whatever.

He still runs windows xp to this day.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A69DAA.44195.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17456&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17456

From: nel...@EOTLBBS.remove-aa4-this (Nelgin)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 00:35:22 -0600
 by: Nelgin - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 06:35 UTC

To: Digital Man
Re: Fixings posts
By: Digital Man to Nelgin on Fri Dec 23 2022 13:52:02

> So what you'd you do your user.tab file?

I was trying to change the classic default shell to "eotl" for all users and looks like I screwed up the find/replace somewhere. It worked for a couple of test accounts then about a week after I got a user email me that he couldn't login and when I used uedit all sorts of things were messed up.

That's when we had a short conversation on IRC about updating the shell using js instead. A much safer method and easier to implement than I thought it would be.
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Fixings posts

<63A6B359.7788.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17457&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17457

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-f7l-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 02:07:53 -0600
 by: MRO - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 08:07 UTC

To: Nelgin
Re: Fixings posts
By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Sat Dec 24 2022 12:35 am

> Re: Fixings posts
> By: Digital Man to Nelgin on Fri Dec 23 2022 13:52:02
>
> > So what you'd you do your user.tab file?
>
> I was trying to change the classic default shell to "eotl" for all users and
> looks like I screwed up the find/replace somewhere. It worked for a couple

you should put code in your login to do a check for their shell and
change it if needed.
---