The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

computers / comp.os.vms / How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?

SubjectAuthor
* How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?alanfe...@gmail.com
+* Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?Mark Berryman
|`* Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?alanfe...@gmail.com
| `- Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?alanfe...@gmail.com
`- Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?Steven Schweda

1
How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?

<6b5596b9-4033-4276-a201-59d337fd4ccan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17464&group=comp.os.vms#17464

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:29:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?
From: alanfeld...@gmail.com (alanfe...@gmail.com)
 by: alanfe...@gmail.com - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 17:29 UTC

I have an iMac, and despite having a matching numeric keypad, I have to hold down the fn key while pressing F1 thru F4 to get PF1 thru PF4 in EDT. Or I can set the function keys to not do their mac functions, i.e., to work as standard function keys. Can one do better? I'd even be happy if I could make the 7 key the GOLD key and the 9 key the PF3 key. Or maybe something with the 6-key key cluster (fn, home, pg up, delete, end, pg dn)? I really miss using PF1 and PF3 to FIND NEXT and FIND.

Is there a way to do this?

I am using the Mac program Terminal and logging in to eisner.

Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Alive, anyway.

Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?

<sjffed$4se$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17514&group=comp.os.vms#17514

From: mar...@theberrymans.com (Mark Berryman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:59:39 -0600
 by: Mark Berryman - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:59 UTC

On 10/2/21 11:29 AM, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have an iMac, and despite having a matching numeric keypad, I have to hold down the fn key while pressing F1 thru F4 to get PF1 thru PF4 in EDT. Or I can set the function keys to not do their mac functions, i.e., to work as standard function keys. Can one do better? I'd even be happy if I could make the 7 key the GOLD key and the 9 key the PF3 key. Or maybe something with the 6-key key cluster (fn, home, pg up, delete, end, pg dn)? I really miss using PF1 and PF3 to FIND NEXT and FIND.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> I am using the Mac program Terminal and logging in to eisner.
>
> Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Alive, anyway.

To have the top row function keys default to acting as functions keys,
go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and check the "Use F1, F2, etc.
keys as standard function keys" box.

To get all of the keypad function keys to work the same as a VMS
keyboard, you need to define the necessary escape sequences into
terminal. Go to Terminal -> Preferences -> Profiles and select the
keyboard tab. Add any keys not already defined. For example,
Numeric Keypad Clear -> \033OP
Numeric Keypad = -> \033OQ
Numeric Keypad / -> \033OR
Numeric Keypad * -> \033OS

will get you PF1 - PF4.

You can define all of the keys except the fn key.

Mark Berryman

Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?

<dcdf1960-973d-4f4b-9805-29e4687d840dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17517&group=comp.os.vms#17517

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:54:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: alanfeld...@gmail.com (alanfe...@gmail.com)
 by: alanfe...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 19:54 UTC

On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 1:59:44 PM UTC-4, Mark Berryman wrote:
> On 10/2/21 11:29 AM, alanfe wrote:
> > I have an iMac, and despite having a matching numeric keypad, I have to hold down the fn key while pressing F1 thru F4 to get PF1 thru PF4 in EDT. Or I can set the function keys to not do their mac functions, i.e., to work as standard function keys. Can one do better? I'd even be happy if I could make the 7 key the GOLD key and the 9 key the PF3 key. Or maybe something with the 6-key key cluster (fn, home, pg up, delete, end, pg dn)? I really miss using PF1 and PF3 to FIND NEXT and FIND.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > I am using the Mac program Terminal and logging in to eisner.
> >
> > Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Alive, anyway.
> >
> To have the top row function keys default to acting as functions keys,
> go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and check the "Use F1, F2, etc.
> keys as standard function keys" box.
>
> To get all of the keypad function keys to work the same as a VMS
> keyboard, you need to define the necessary escape sequences into
> terminal. Go to Terminal -> Preferences -> Profiles and select the
> keyboard tab. Add any keys not already defined. For example,
> Numeric Keypad Clear -> \033OP
> Numeric Keypad = -> \033OQ
> Numeric Keypad / -> \033OR
> Numeric Keypad * -> \033OS
>
> will get you PF1 - PF4.
>
> You can define all of the keys except the fn key.
>
> Mark Berryman

Holy Moly! How could I have missed that?! I can't believe it! The [Ow, my tongue!] works!
Thank you so much. (^_^)

Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?

<5856d8e9-66c7-4964-9a95-cfda3c5ff984n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17537&group=comp.os.vms#17537

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 21:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: sms.anti...@gmail.com (Steven Schweda)
 by: Steven Schweda - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 04:14 UTC

> I am using the Mac program Terminal [...]

xterm is one alternative: https://www.xquartz.org/

Then some xmodmap action. I get by with the following, but "xev" is
your friend if you want more.

keycode 79 = KP_F1
keycode 89 = KP_F2
keycode 83 = KP_F3
keycode 75 = KP_F4
keycode 77 = KP_Separator
keycode 127 = Prior

Re: How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?

<4cc7ba0d-346f-43c4-aa1a-b5c525d56d08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19582&group=comp.os.vms#19582

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:21:32 -0800 (PST)
From: alanfeld...@gmail.com (alanfe...@gmail.com)
 by: alanfe...@gmail.com - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:21 UTC

On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 3:54:07 PM UTC-4, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 1:59:44 PM UTC-4, Mark Berryman wrote:
> > On 10/2/21 11:29 AM, alanfe wrote:
> > > I have an iMac, and despite having a matching numeric keypad, I have to hold down the fn key while pressing F1 thru F4 to get PF1 thru PF4 in EDT. Or I can set the function keys to not do their mac functions, i.e., to work as standard function keys. Can one do better? I'd even be happy if I could make the 7 key the GOLD key and the 9 key the PF3 key. Or maybe something with the 6-key key cluster (fn, home, pg up, delete, end, pg dn)? I really miss using PF1 and PF3 to FIND NEXT and FIND.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to do this?
> > >
> > > I am using the Mac program Terminal and logging in to eisner.
> > >
> > > Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Alive, anyway.
> > >
> > To have the top row function keys default to acting as functions keys,
> > go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and check the "Use F1, F2, etc.
> > keys as standard function keys" box.
> >
> > To get all of the keypad function keys to work the same as a VMS
> > keyboard, you need to define the necessary escape sequences into
> > terminal. Go to Terminal -> Preferences -> Profiles and select the
> > keyboard tab. Add any keys not already defined. For example,
> > Numeric Keypad Clear -> \033OP
> > Numeric Keypad = -> \033OQ
> > Numeric Keypad / -> \033OR
> > Numeric Keypad * -> \033OS
> >
> > will get you PF1 - PF4.
> >
> > You can define all of the keys except the fn key.
> >
> > Mark Berryman
> Holy Moly! How could I have missed that?! I can't believe it! The [Ow, my tongue!] works!
> Thank you so much. (^_^)

Looks like older versions of Terminal don't have that -- at least not on macOS Snow Leopard, which I had to use recently on my old Mac. Hopefully they kept this in the current macOS!