From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Edison email client oddity
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 00:14:07 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 23:14 UTC

I have mentioned using Edison Email client in earlier texts, because a) I
cannot find a way to get incoming notifiers to work on Outlook IMAP
accounts and b) most of my email exchanges involve photos, which Edison
does very well.
Sometimes I have a need to send emails to myself as a check and with
Edison, using my Gmail account, when I begin entering my own email address
in the To: box, I am offered a selection of addresses which seems to
include every spam site that is in my gmail spam folder. It vanishes if I
fully complete the full address, but it would be easy to just click on the
first one and end up posting to some spammer somewhere.
I contacted Edison and they say it is because Gmail has forwarded those
addresses to them and there is nothing they can do about it.
I have not seen this with any other email client and believe me I have
tried many.
I don't understand why Gmail or any other provider is forwarding the
contents of my spam folder to them, but I'm afraid that has put me off
Edison for now.
--
Jim S

Re: Edison email client oddity

<sc897s$nc5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17519&group=comp.mobile.android#17519

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Edison email client oddity
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 03:37:14 +0200
 by: paul - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 01:37 UTC

Jim S wrote on 08.07.2021 23:14
> when I begin entering my own email address
> in the To: box, I am offered a selection of addresses which seems to
> include every spam site that is in my gmail spam folder.

I don't know the definitive answer nor the definitive solution to your
problem, but, I suspect perhaps the issue is that Google maintains a complex
set of contacts which, somehow, may be getting imported into Edison Mail.

If that's the case, one test you can run is to wipe out all the contacts in
Edison mail, and then just import the specific contacts you wish imported
from your Google Account.

Personally, I do something like that when I use Thunderbird on Windows with
a Google Account, where I had to manually bring over my address book from
the Google Account via a web browser, to the Thunderbird MUA via a vcard
text file.

The Google Account maintains a "set" of address books (as does Thunderbird),
which "might" be the root of your problem (perhaps even within Edison Mail).

One test you "might" want to run is to log into your Google Account using a
web browser on your PC and export _just_ the address books you want (after
inspecting them to ensure they do _not_ contain the bad spam addresses).

Here's how I did that using Firefox on the PC & Thunderbird on the PC.
1. Go to https://contacts.google.com/ (and log in)
2. Press the "apps" menu (9 dots in a square)
3. Click on "Contacts" in the resulting menu
4. At the left, clicked on "Export"
5. Up comes an "Export contacts" form
6. The choices were "Selected contacts" or all "Contacts" and the export
choices were "Google CSV", "Outlook CSV", or "vCard (for iOS Contacts)."
7. Choose vcard and name as date_gmail_account.vcf (or whatever)

To import contacts into Thunderbird.
a. Start Thunderbird and close all tabs but the tab of your account
b. Right click to the right of the one tab to add the "Menu Bar" to the top
c. In the menu bar select Tools -> Import
d. Change from "Import Everything" to "Address Books"
e. Select your "vCard file (.vcf)" output from Google Contacts
f. Autocomplete should now work in your Thunderbird mail user agent

Obviously importing the vcard file of contacts will work differently in
Edison Mail so if/when you figure out how, let us know so we all learn.

In summary, I suspect perhaps the issue is that Google maintains a complex
set of contacts which, somehow, may be getting imported into Edison Mail.

One test you can run is to wipe out all the contacts in Edison mail, and
then just import the specific contacts you wish imported from your Google
Account.
--
Posted to be purposefully helpful with enough detail to solve the problems.

Re: Edison email client oddity

<sc89ok$scd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17520&group=comp.mobile.android#17520

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 03:46:10 +0200
 by: paul - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 01:46 UTC

> One test you can run is to wipe out all the contacts in Edison mail, and
> then just import the specific contacts you wish imported from your Google
> Account.

Another "possibility" might be if you have your contacts set to "sync" on
Android (I would never do that so I won't be able to test this for you).

If, indeed, if your Google Account contains the root set of "spam" contacts,
and if those spam contacts are somehow being used by your Edison Mail
autocomplete, then, perhaps another route "might" be that you accidentally
synched those Google Account spam contacts with your one default sqlite
contacts database on your Android device.
/data /data /com.android.providers.contacts /databases /contacts2.db
<https://www.dev2qa.com/android-contacts-database-structure/>

If this is the case, again, the solution is similar to the last suggestion,
which is to wipe out that contacts database and start anew but without
syncing done by Google (good luck with that endeavor).

As you may be aware, I don't use the GMail app _because_ it syncs the
contacts between the phone and the Google Account on the Google servers, so
I can assure you that you don't _need_ anything in your contacts sqlite db.

As before, I do not know what your problem is, as I'm only surmising what it
might be, given I have experience with both the address autocomplete (but
with Thunderbird) and with wiping out the contacts sqlite database to
manually import just what I want into well designed Android contacts, phone,
dialer, and SMS apps.

Please do let us know if any of these suggestions help out so that others
may learn from your efforts to keep your spam contacts off your phone.
--
Usenet allows intelligent people to help each other because they're good
people, but unfortunately Usenet also allows less than helpful people to

Re: Edison email client oddity

<1xlha3eajhw0l.pxn57d2te68z.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17543&group=comp.mobile.android#17543

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:29:42 +0100
 by: Jim S - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 08:29 UTC

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 03:37:14 +0200, paul wrote:

> Jim S wrote on 08.07.2021 23:14
>> when I begin entering my own email address
>> in the To: box, I am offered a selection of addresses which seems to
>> include every spam site that is in my gmail spam folder.
>
> I don't know the definitive answer nor the definitive solution to your
> problem, but, I suspect perhaps the issue is that Google maintains a complex
> set of contacts which, somehow, may be getting imported into Edison Mail.
>
> If that's the case, one test you can run is to wipe out all the contacts in
> Edison mail, and then just import the specific contacts you wish imported
> from your Google Account.
>
> Personally, I do something like that when I use Thunderbird on Windows with
> a Google Account, where I had to manually bring over my address book from
> the Google Account via a web browser, to the Thunderbird MUA via a vcard
> text file.
>
> The Google Account maintains a "set" of address books (as does Thunderbird),
> which "might" be the root of your problem (perhaps even within Edison Mail).
>
> One test you "might" want to run is to log into your Google Account using a
> web browser on your PC and export _just_ the address books you want (after
> inspecting them to ensure they do _not_ contain the bad spam addresses).
>
> Here's how I did that using Firefox on the PC & Thunderbird on the PC.
> 1. Go to https://contacts.google.com/ (and log in)
> 2. Press the "apps" menu (9 dots in a square)
> 3. Click on "Contacts" in the resulting menu
> 4. At the left, clicked on "Export"
> 5. Up comes an "Export contacts" form
> 6. The choices were "Selected contacts" or all "Contacts" and the export
> choices were "Google CSV", "Outlook CSV", or "vCard (for iOS Contacts)."
> 7. Choose vcard and name as date_gmail_account.vcf (or whatever)
>
> To import contacts into Thunderbird.
> a. Start Thunderbird and close all tabs but the tab of your account
> b. Right click to the right of the one tab to add the "Menu Bar" to the top
> c. In the menu bar select Tools -> Import
> d. Change from "Import Everything" to "Address Books"
> e. Select your "vCard file (.vcf)" output from Google Contacts
> f. Autocomplete should now work in your Thunderbird mail user agent
>
> Obviously importing the vcard file of contacts will work differently in
> Edison Mail so if/when you figure out how, let us know so we all learn.
>
> In summary, I suspect perhaps the issue is that Google maintains a complex
> set of contacts which, somehow, may be getting imported into Edison Mail.
>
> One test you can run is to wipe out all the contacts in Edison mail, and
> then just import the specific contacts you wish imported from your Google
> Account.

I looked at my google contacts as you suggested and the only ones there are
those I have put there myself. No sign of interlopers.
--
Jim S

Re: Edison email client oddity

<3qkexgzvky3x.16hycoc6wazhl$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17544&group=comp.mobile.android#17544

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:35:27 +0100
 by: Jim S - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 08:35 UTC

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 03:46:10 +0200, paul wrote:

>> One test you can run is to wipe out all the contacts in Edison mail, and
>> then just import the specific contacts you wish imported from your Google
>> Account.
>
> Another "possibility" might be if you have your contacts set to "sync" on
> Android (I would never do that so I won't be able to test this for you).
>
> If, indeed, if your Google Account contains the root set of "spam" contacts,
> and if those spam contacts are somehow being used by your Edison Mail
> autocomplete, then, perhaps another route "might" be that you accidentally
> synched those Google Account spam contacts with your one default sqlite
> contacts database on your Android device.
> /data /data /com.android.providers.contacts /databases /contacts2.db
> <https://www.dev2qa.com/android-contacts-database-structure/>
>
> If this is the case, again, the solution is similar to the last suggestion,
> which is to wipe out that contacts database and start anew but without
> syncing done by Google (good luck with that endeavor).
>
> As you may be aware, I don't use the GMail app _because_ it syncs the
> contacts between the phone and the Google Account on the Google servers, so
> I can assure you that you don't _need_ anything in your contacts sqlite db.
>
> As before, I do not know what your problem is, as I'm only surmising what it
> might be, given I have experience with both the address autocomplete (but
> with Thunderbird) and with wiping out the contacts sqlite database to
> manually import just what I want into well designed Android contacts, phone,
> dialer, and SMS apps.
>
> Please do let us know if any of these suggestions help out so that others
> may learn from your efforts to keep your spam contacts off your phone.

FWIW The Gmail app is disabled on my phone and desktop and yes I started
this thread, partly to find out whether this address sharing was/is a
property of all email clients and if not, then to warn others what seems to
a property of the Edison app I can do without.
--
Jim S