Subject: isub (subwoofer)
From: kristoff
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 23:02 UTC
From: krist...@skypro.be (kristoff)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 01:02:18 +0200
View all headers
Hi,

Many years ago, I used to have an imac G3 "strawberry model". I do not have that computer any more (it went to a personal computer-museum), but recently I came across the isub subwoofer I bought with that computer.

It does not seams to work any more, but before I spend to much time (or money) trying to fix it, I do have two questions.

- Does it make sense to try to fix that device to connect it to a modern computer. Is it possible to use that device on a modern linux computer?
The subwoofer has a USB interface, but does it present itself a standard USB audio device to the computer? Or it is some apple undocumented audio system that needs special software?

- As said, the device does not seams to work any more. I am not sure if the problem is the PSU or the speaker itself.
Is there a quick way to test which of these two devices is faulty?

The power-supply has three pins (marked "+", "-" and "NC"). I do not get any voltage on the "+" pin, but I am not sure if that is an real indication that the PSU is broken or not. Perhaps you need to put a voltage on the NC pin to get the power-supply to work.

Anybody any idea?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.