grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re installing mint (all is not well)

SubjectAuthor
* Re installing mint (all is not well)F Murtz
`* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Bears
 `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)F Murtz
  `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)F Murtz
   `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Nic
    +* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)F Murtz
    |+- Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Nic
    |`* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Mike Easter
    | `- Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Bears
    `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)RobH
     `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Nic
      `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Chris Elvidge
       `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Nic
        `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Chris Elvidge
         `* Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Nic
          +- Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Tarzan©
          `- Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)Mike Easter

1
Re installing mint (all is not well)

<DibNI.97204$Vv6.51600@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1762&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1762

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Subject: Re installing mint (all is not well)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 22:25:04 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:25 UTC

At least is well with mint but disaster with elitebook,battery has
turned up its toes and of all old laptops hp is one of the worst (No
cheap batteries)Would have been better off with toshiba or almost any other.
Even generics are expensive,cheapest in USA but postage kills it,or
three months wait with Aliexpress

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<se3k4g$2rr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1763&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1763

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:44:48 -0400
 by: Bears - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 13:44 UTC

On 7/31/21 8:25 AM, this is what F Murtz wrote:
> At least is well with mint but disaster with elitebook,battery has turned up its toes and of all old laptops hp is one of the worst (No
> cheap batteries)Would have been better off with toshiba or almost any other.
> Even generics are expensive,cheapest in USA but postage kills it,or three months wait with Aliexpress

I guess you run on power cord. I normally do anyway. My laptop has turbo mode (or some name) where it runs 800-1.8ghz normally and on
battery, then 4.0ghz when needed. But that top speed can be limited if on battery. OOPS. So I plug it in most of the time.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<LNcNI.97764$sI4.79777@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1765&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1765

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 00:06:32 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:06 UTC

On 31/7/21 11:44 pm, Bears wrote:
> On 7/31/21 8:25 AM, this is what F Murtz wrote:
>> At least is well with mint but disaster with elitebook,battery has
>> turned up its toes and of all old laptops hp is one of the worst (No
>> cheap batteries)Would have been better off with toshiba or almost any
>> other.
>> Even generics are expensive,cheapest in USA but postage kills it,or
>> three months wait with Aliexpress
>
> I guess you run on power cord.   I normally do anyway.   My laptop has
> turbo mode (or some name) where it runs 800-1.8ghz normally and on
> battery, then 4.0ghz when needed.  But that top speed can be limited if
> on battery.  OOPS.  So I plug it in most of the time.

I have been but I have three laptops running on power cords and I
thought I would make the HP the portable but when I unplugged it it
instantly went dead.
The HP is the smallest.

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<zddNI.72101$Nq7.42954@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1766&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1766

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 00:36:15 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:36 UTC

On 1/8/21 12:06 am, F Murtz wrote:
> On 31/7/21 11:44 pm, Bears wrote:
>> On 7/31/21 8:25 AM, this is what F Murtz wrote:
>>> At least is well with mint but disaster with elitebook,battery has
>>> turned up its toes and of all old laptops hp is one of the worst (No
>>> cheap batteries)Would have been better off with toshiba or almost any
>>> other.
>>> Even generics are expensive,cheapest in USA but postage kills it,or
>>> three months wait with Aliexpress
>>
>> I guess you run on power cord.   I normally do anyway.   My laptop has
>> turbo mode (or some name) where it runs 800-1.8ghz normally and on
>> battery, then 4.0ghz when needed.  But that top speed can be limited
>> if on battery.  OOPS.  So I plug it in most of the time.
>>
> I have been but I have three laptops running on power cords and I
> thought I would make the HP the portable but when I unplugged it it
> instantly went dead.
> The HP is the smallest.

I hope it is worth it, just ordered $50.00 au battery

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<BkeNI.93044$VU3.22577@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1767&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1767

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:52:01 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:52 UTC

On 7/31/21 10:36 AM, F Murtz wrote:
> On 1/8/21 12:06 am, F Murtz wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess you run on power cord.   I normally do anyway.   My laptop
>>> has turbo mode (or some name) where it runs 800-1.8ghz normally and
>>> on battery, then 4.0ghz when needed.  But that top speed can be
>>> limited if on battery.  OOPS.  So I plug it in most of the time.
>>>
>> I have been but I have three laptops running on power cords and I
>> thought I would make the HP the portable but when I unplugged it it
>> instantly went dead.
>> The HP is the smallest.
>
> I hope it is worth it, just ordered $50.00 au battery

You will be very very happy and eventually you will ask yourself why you
did not do this sooner. At 74 I made the switch about a year ago and
have been very pleased with Linux Mint.

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<cBeNI.78418$dp5.49535@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1768&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1768

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 02:09:42 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:09 UTC

On 1/8/21 1:52 am, Nic wrote:
> On 7/31/21 10:36 AM, F Murtz wrote:

>>> I have been but I have three laptops running on power cords and I
>>> thought I would make the HP the portable but when I unplugged it it
>>> instantly went dead.
>>> The HP is the smallest.
>>
>> I hope it is worth it, just ordered $50.00 au battery
>>
> You will be very very happy and eventually you will ask yourself why you
> did not do this sooner. At 74 I made the switch about a year ago and
> have been very pleased with Linux Mint.

I have been dabbling for quite a while but mostly dual boot this will be
my first dedicated linux, I have no trouble with either with "News", it
is mainly driving linux to install and run programs ,Especially from
command line

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<mPeNI.19835$Ei1.19426@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1769&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1769

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:24:50 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:24 UTC

On 7/31/21 12:09 PM, F Murtz wrote:
> On 1/8/21 1:52 am, Nic wrote:

>>> I hope it is worth it, just ordered $50.00 au battery
>>>
>> You will be very very happy and eventually you will ask yourself why
>> you did not do this sooner. At 74 I made the switch about a year ago
>> and have been very pleased with Linux Mint.
>>
> I have been dabbling for quite a while but mostly dual boot this will
> be my first dedicated linux, I have no trouble with either with
> "News", it is mainly driving linux to install and run programs
> ,Especially from command line

How far back do you go? Do you recall in the early days of windows and
the dos commands? Well the terminal window uses similar commands, but
Linux Mint can most easily do the common stuff like email, Usenet news,
and browsing the internet without ever using a command line.

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<imlegeFonsdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1772&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1772

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:10:36 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:10 UTC

F Murtz wrote:
> I have been dabbling for quite a while but mostly dual boot this will be
> my first dedicated linux, I have no trouble with either with "News", it
> is mainly driving linux to install and run programs ,Especially from
> command line

Sometimes I install programs from the command line if I have installed
it before, but I prefer to use synaptic to install programs because I
get to find out more about what is going on ahead of time that way. I
use synaptic to search for the program in the repo/s. Also, w/ distro/s
such as Ub which don't always install all of its repo/s, such as
universe or multiverse or restricted, that problem might need to be
corrected.

I also like to know what kind of 'baggage' an installation is going to
be dragging along. If you are running a gtk-based desktop such as
Mint's Cinn/XFCE/Mate, if you install a Qt/KDE type of app, you are
going to need to bring in a lot of dependencies related to that.
Synaptic can help you see what kinds of dependencies an app is going to
have before installing.

Probably there is a way to do that w/ the command line, but it would
take me more key clicks and familiarizing myself w/ that method. An
example would be something like Kleopatra which arose in some recent
discussions on key management and the deficiencies of Seahorse, the
default GUI in Mint.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<imlmg8Fqa54U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1777&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1777

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 20:27:04 +0100
 by: RobH - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:27 UTC

On 31/07/2021 16:52, Nic wrote:
> On 7/31/21 10:36 AM, F Murtz wrote:

>>> I have been but I have three laptops running on power cords and I
>>> thought I would make the HP the portable but when I unplugged it it
>>> instantly went dead.
>>> The HP is the smallest.
>>
>> I hope it is worth it, just ordered $50.00 au battery
>>
> You will be very very happy and eventually you will ask yourself why you
> did not do this sooner. At 74 I made the switch about a year ago and
> have been very pleased with Linux Mint.

I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 years, and only just switched over
to Cinnamon Mint.
To be honest I find it easier than Ubuntu, as well as being more
configurable.

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<RAhNI.49582$0Z7.45373@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1778&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1778

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:34:08 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:34 UTC

On 7/31/21 3:27 PM, RobH wrote:
> On 31/07/2021 16:52, Nic wrote:

>>> I hope it is worth it, just ordered $50.00 au battery
>>>
>> You will be very very happy and eventually you will ask yourself why
>> you did not do this sooner. At 74 I made the switch about a year ago
>> and have been very pleased with Linux Mint.
>>

> I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 years, and only just switched
> over to Cinnamon Mint.
> To be honest I find it easier than Ubuntu, as well as being more
> configurable.

Buried somewhere at the end of this thread is the realization that
windows does not like to co-exist with Linux on the same drive/machine.

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<se48nt$gu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1779&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1779

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 20:36:29 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:36 UTC

On 31/07/2021 08:34 pm, Nic wrote:
> On 7/31/21 3:27 PM, RobH wrote:

>>> You will be very very happy and eventually you will ask yourself why
>>> you did not do this sooner. At 74 I made the switch about a year ago
>>> and have been very pleased with Linux Mint.
>>>

>> I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 years, and only just switched
>> over to Cinnamon Mint.
>> To be honest I find it easier than Ubuntu, as well as being more
>> configurable.
>
> Buried somewhere at the end of this thread is the realization that
> windows does not like to co-exist with Linux on the same drive/machine.

That might be in the thread, but it is untrue.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<64iNI.72110$Nq7.66650@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1781&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1781

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:07:29 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 20:07 UTC

On 7/31/21 3:36 PM, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 31/07/2021 08:34 pm, Nic wrote:

>>> I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 years, and only just switched
>>> over to Cinnamon Mint.
>>> To be honest I find it easier than Ubuntu, as well as being more
>>> configurable.
>>
>> Buried somewhere at the end of this thread is the realization that
>> windows does not like to co-exist with Linux on the same drive/machine.
>>

> That might be in the thread, but it is untrue.

In all my years of using windows, I finally came to the conclusion that
when windows became sluggish and bloated it was time for a fresh
re-install, yes from scratch, the full authentication, and lost all my
data that I failed to backup, the moral of the story is I don't like to
use windows anymore and if I must use it, it will be in some virtual
machine of low importance. Yes the clever have figured out how to
dual-boot, but then why are they here at a Linux Mint forum.

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<se4csb$9vb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1782&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1782

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:47:07 -0400
 by: Bears - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 20:47 UTC

On 7/31/21 1:10 PM, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
> F Murtz wrote:
>> I have been dabbling for quite a while but mostly dual boot this will be my first dedicated linux, I have no trouble with either with
>> "News", it is mainly driving linux to install and run programs ,Especially from command line
>
> Sometimes I install programs from the command line if I have installed it before, but I prefer to use synaptic to install programs because I
> get to find out more about what is going on ahead of time that way.  I use synaptic to search for the program in the repo/s.  Also, w/
> distro/s such as Ub which don't always install all of its repo/s, such as universe or multiverse or restricted, that problem might need to
> be corrected.
>
> I also like to know what kind of 'baggage' an installation is going to be dragging along.  If you are running a gtk-based desktop such as
> Mint's Cinn/XFCE/Mate, if you install a Qt/KDE type of app, you are going to need to bring in a lot of dependencies related to that.
> Synaptic can help you see what kinds of dependencies an app is going to have before installing.
>
> Probably there is a way to do that w/ the command line, but it would take me more key clicks and familiarizing myself w/ that method.  An
> example would be something like Kleopatra which arose in some recent discussions on key management and the deficiencies of Seahorse, the
> default GUI in Mint.

Also installing from synaptic there is a history to look at. I can go back and see not only the app I installed but all the dependencies it
may have installed. I can clean them out then too.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<se4cso$crg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1783&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1783

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:47:18 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 20:47 UTC

On 31/07/2021 09:07 pm, Nic wrote:
> On 7/31/21 3:36 PM, Chris Elvidge wrote:

>>> Buried somewhere at the end of this thread is the realization that
>>> windows does not like to co-exist with Linux on the same drive/machine.
>>>

>> That might be in the thread, but it is untrue.
>>

> In all my years of using windows, I finally came to the conclusion that
> when windows became sluggish and bloated it was time for a fresh
> re-install, yes from scratch, the full authentication, and lost all my
> data that I failed to backup, the moral of the story is I don't like to
> use windows anymore and if I must use it, it will be in some virtual
> machine of low importance. Yes the clever have figured out how to
> dual-boot, but then why are they here at a Linux Mint forum.

In the hope of pointing "novices" in the right direction?
I've never had a problem dual-booting Windows and various Linux distros
as long as :
1) Windows is installed first
2) Linux is installed using the same type of install as Windows.

I.e. don't try to mix UEFI and old BIOS and expect things to work
properly/easily.

GRUB installed UEFI will not pick up a BIOS install (and vice versa).
Mixing them can be done (on different disks AFAIR), but you will need to
enter the BIOS to select the boot device/partition.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<ObjNI.28098$7H7.3526@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1785&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1785

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:23:57 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:23 UTC

On 7/31/21 4:47 PM, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 31/07/2021 09:07 pm, Nic wrote:

>>> That might be in the thread, but it is untrue.
>>>

>> In all my years of using windows, I finally came to the conclusion
>> that when windows became sluggish and bloated it was time for a fresh
>> re-install, yes from scratch, the full authentication, and lost all
>> my data that I failed to backup, the moral of the story is I don't
>> like to use windows anymore and if I must use it, it will be in some
>> virtual machine of low importance. Yes the clever have figured out
>> how to dual-boot, but then why are they here at a Linux Mint forum.
>>

> In the hope  of pointing "novices" in the right direction?
> I've never had a problem dual-booting Windows and various Linux
> distros as long as :
> 1) Windows is installed first
> 2) Linux is installed using the same type of install as Windows.
>
> I.e. don't try to mix UEFI and old BIOS and expect things to work
> properly/easily.
>
> GRUB installed UEFI will not pick up a BIOS install (and vice versa).
> Mixing them can be done (on different disks AFAIR), but you will need
> to enter the BIOS to select the boot device/partition.

I don't argue with you, but I don't want to do all that learning and
business of using windows along side Linux, when Linux Mint satisfy s
all my humble computer needs.

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<8JKdnf0N1PEcXpj8nZ2dnUU7-U2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1786&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1786

From: tar...@thejungle.com (Tarzan©)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Face: iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAADAAAAAwBAMAAAClLOS0AAAAGFBMVEVTpBUMeQ4biQ+n0oQEbQ0nl 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
Jane's-Rule: ME JANE- you tarzan
Notice: Jane spanks me
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:41:21 -0500
 by: Tarzan© - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:41 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:23:57 -0400, Nic wrote:

WINE can run many windows programs and games

--
Linux Mint is not just for the eggheads, I am proof of that.
Registered Linux user 547626

Re: Re installing mint (all is not well)

<imlvasFs24pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1787&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1787

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:57:46 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:57 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I don't argue with you, but I don't want to do all that learning and
> business of using windows along side Linux, when Linux Mint satisfy s
> all my humble computer needs.

My preference is to run the OS on the hardware. Almost always that
hardware is running linux, most often a live v. w/ persistence. When I
want something Win, I boot a Win on *other* hardware, typically
accessible by 'flipping' to the other system while using the same kb,
mouse, monitor by utilizing a KVM switch. Sometimes I use other
hardware on its own kvm accessible from the same seat. So, I don't use
Wine for those Win tools, but there are some useful Win tools which can
run under wine, I just don't.

I could also get along just fine w/o any Win.

--
Mike Easter