computers / alt.windows7.general / Win 7 Install

SubjectAuthor
* Win 7 InstallFrankly
+* Re: Win 7 Installs|b
|`* Re: Win 7 InstallFrankly
| `- Re: Win 7 Installs|b
+- Re: Win 7 InstallJohnny
+* Re: Win 7 InstallPaul
|`* Re: Win 7 InstallFrankly
| +- Re: Win 7 InstallPaul
| +* Re: Win 7 InstallSailfish
| |`* Re: Win 7 InstallPaul
| | `* Re: Win 7 InstallSailfish
| |  `* Re: Win 7 InstallPaul
| |   `- Re: Win 7 InstallSailfish
| `- Re: Win 7 InstallSteve Hayes
+* Re: Win 7 Installphilo
|`* Re: Win 7 InstallVanguardLH
| `- Re: Win 7 InstallTeddy-Bears
+* Re: Win 7 InstallVanguardLH
|`- Re: Win 7 InstallPaul
+- Re: Win 7 InstallMaurice Helwig
`- Re: Win 7 Installdavid c

1
Win 7 Install

<sbt224$17fb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1763&group=alt.windows7.general#1763

From: Fran...@Frankly.COM (Frankly)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Win 7 Install
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:07:39 -0700
 by: Frankly - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:07 UTC

I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro as
that is what I have a MS disk for. No learning curve past Win 7 Pro
please. I'm Too old !

Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?

How ?

Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to dump
Linux. I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for that
learning curve.

If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7 Pro
or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and shoot)
Not mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with Linux on it,
is supposed to be really fast.

Re: Win 7 Install

<ikeifdF3s05U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1764&group=alt.windows7.general#1764

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Win 7 Install
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 22:02:54 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 20:02 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:07:39 -0700, Frankly wrote:

> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7 Pro
> or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and shoot)
> Not mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with Linux on it,
> is supposed to be really fast.

If that is the case, then why not install W7 and then do the W10 upgrade
for free? I don't remember the specifics, but I've done it myself and
it's legal.

--
s|b

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbt4sf$es0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1765&group=alt.windows7.general#1765

From: "Frankl...@Frankly.COM (Frankly)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:55:50 -0700
 by: Frankly - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:55 UTC

I am glad you carefully read my post, NOT !

s|b wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:07:39 -0700, Frankly wrote:
>
>> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7 Pro
>> or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and shoot)
>> Not mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with Linux on it,
>> is supposed to be really fast.
>
> If that is the case, then why not install W7 and then do the W10 upgrade
> for free? I don't remember the specifics, but I've done it myself and
> it's legal.

Re: Win 7 Install

<20210704152915.70de44b7@jspc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1766&group=alt.windows7.general#1766

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 15:29:15 -0500
 by: Johnny - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 20:29 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:07:39 -0700
Frankly <Frankly@Frankly.COM> wrote:

> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro
> as that is what I have a MS disk for. No learning curve past Win 7
> Pro please. I'm Too old !
>

> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>
> How ?
>
> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to
> dump Linux. I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for
> that learning curve.
>
> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7
> Pro or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and
> shoot) Not mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with
> Linux on it, is supposed to be really fast.

I don't know which Linux distribution you are using, but I would
recommend Linux Mint.

If you have Linux installed and then install Windows 7, Windows won't
recognize Linux, and you won't be able to boot into Linux.

If you want to dual boot, the best way is to install Windows first, and
then install Linux Mint. Linux Mint will recognize Windows 7 and ask
if you would like to install Linux Mint alongside Windows 7.

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbtf7k$era$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1771&group=alt.windows7.general#1771

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 19:11:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 23:11 UTC

Frankly wrote:
> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro as
> that is what I have a MS disk for. No learning curve past Win 7 Pro
> please. I'm Too old !
>

> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>
> How ?
>
> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to dump
> Linux. I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for that
> learning curve.
>
> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7 Pro
> or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and shoot) Not
> mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with Linux on it, is
> supposed to be really fast.

Frankly, this post is laden with landmines.

"My new computer, now with Linux on it, is <=== too technical for me
supposed to be really fast." <=== im old and might hurt meself

"with Linux on it" <== a dessert topping ???

Anyone running Linux knows (roughly) the name
of the distro. For example, a few minutes ago I was
running Linux Mint 19 on this machine, now I'm running
Windows 8.1 (because the machine has problems and I'm
struggling to figure out what causes freezes).

"supposed to be really fast" <=== puzzler, are you on another
continent and not standing next
to the machine ?

How are we supposed to add anything cogent to that coat
of white wash ? It's a mighty fine day we're havin,
and the sun is strong.

I don't know how many hard drives you have, the name of the
computer (Dell 1234, Asus Z390 w. 10400F processor, etc).
Any kind of hint might accidentally frame up an answer.

Paul

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbtioo$1gb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1772&group=alt.windows7.general#1772

From: Fran...@Frankly.COM (Frankly)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:52:47 -0700
 by: Frankly - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 23:52 UTC

I didn't look the gift horse in the mouth !

So if I install Win 7 Pro from my disk, will I be able to update it ?

How ?

I do not need the Linux.

If it is truly important I can take out the screws and see what is
inside. I am 79 but can still turn a screwdriver if I can find one.

Paul wrote:
> Frankly wrote:
>> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro
>> as that is what I have a MS disk for.   No learning curve past Win 7
>> Pro please. I'm Too old !
>>

>> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>>
>>   How ?
>>
>> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to dump
>> Linux.  I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for that
>> learning curve.
>>
>> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better:  Win 7 Pro
>> or Linux.  (Games with a easy learning curve.  Just point and shoot)
>> Not mandatory, just a thought.   My new computer, now with Linux on
>> it, is supposed to be really fast.
>
> Frankly, this post is laden with landmines.
>
> "My new computer, now with Linux on it, is   <=== too technical for me
>  supposed to be really fast."                <=== im old and might hurt
> meself
>
> "with Linux on it" <== a dessert topping ???
>
> Anyone running Linux knows (roughly) the name
> of the distro. For example, a few minutes ago I was
> running Linux Mint 19 on this machine, now I'm running
> Windows 8.1 (because the machine has problems and I'm
> struggling to figure out what causes freezes).
>
> "supposed to be really fast"  <=== puzzler, are you on another
>                                    continent and not standing next
>                                    to the machine ?
>
> How are we supposed to add anything cogent to that coat
> of white wash ? It's a mighty fine day we're havin,
> and the sun is strong.
>
> I don't know how many hard drives you have, the name of the
> computer (Dell 1234, Asus Z390 w. 10400F processor, etc).
> Any kind of hint might accidentally frame up an answer.

>    Paul

Re: Win 7 Install

<3c6f2b45a5c8ffa95c8f9fa880bbdee4@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1773&group=alt.windows7.general#1773

From: phi...@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 00:28:21 +0000
 by: philo - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 00:28 UTC

You are not too old.
Sheesh. My 94 year old mother has no problem with Win10. It's not much different than Win 7.

Re: Win 7 Install

<up1nw2kb6fho$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1774&group=alt.windows7.general#1774

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:50:46 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 00:50 UTC

Frankly <Frankly@Frankly.COM> wrote:

> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro as
> that is what I have a MS disk for. No learning curve past Win 7 Pro
> please. I'm Too old !
>
> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>
> How ?
>
> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to dump
> Linux. I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for that
> learning curve.
>
> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7 Pro
> or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and shoot)
> Not mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with Linux on it,
> is supposed to be really fast.

Windows 7 feature updates are no longer available. Best you'll get is
some security updates that Microsoft decides to filter down from Windows
10 that also apply back to Windows 7.

Some folks use WSUSoffline to retain updates; however, they have to keep
using old versions of WSUSoffline, because newer versions will drop
"legacy" operating systems and MS Office suites. I only use WSUSoffline
to keep updates for the OS version that I am using (which is now Windows
10), and discard old OS versions since I won't be going back (unless I
use a saved image backup). It's possible someone kept old versions of
WSUSoffline that still supported archiving the updates for Windows 7
that it retrieved back with MS servers had the Windows 7 updates. I
can't help you with that, but could be someone else has kept their old
WSUSoffline version with the Windows 7 updates.

The WSUSoffline version that I currently have is 12.0 (the latest is
12.03.2020, and it only goes back to the legacy version of Windows 8.1
(if you select to include the legacy version, which is not the default).
You would have to try one of the older versions of WSUSoffline (see
https://download.wsusoffline.net/) to see when was its last version that
included Windows 7 (x86 and x64) as its last supported legacy Windows
version. Even if it did manage to yank updates from the MS WSUS server,
they'd likely be just the security updates, not the feature updates.

If no one offers a magic bullet solution to get you Windows 7 updates
that are not available from the MS WSUS servers, you can only hope
someone replies that used WSUSoffline to keep an archive of those old
Windows 7 updates.

Windows 7 mainstream support ended back on Jan 13, 2015. While extended
support lasted until Jan 13, 2020, the only updates I remember that got
released after mainstream support ended were for critical security
updates that affected Windows 10, and were made available for 8 and 7.
Security updates won't get you the feature updates.

Without someone collecting and archiving updates (feature and security)
for Windows 7 when Microsoft still supported it, you won't get any from
Microsoft's WSUS servers.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962
"After January 14, 2020, PCs running Windows 7 no longer receive
security updates."

The feature updates ended even earlier (when mainstream support ended).
Looks like you won't even get the service packs. You just said Windows
7, but not at which service pack level. You might have a disc for
Windows 7 x64 SP-3, or you might have an even older disc with SP-2,
SP-1, or without any service pack pre-applied.

"Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after end of support"

So, you can still activate an installation of Windows 7 despite
mainstream and extended support are dead.

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbtqaj$83m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1775&group=alt.windows7.general#1775

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 22:21:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 02:21 UTC

Frankly wrote:

> I didn't look the gift horse in the mouth !
>
> So if I install Win 7 Pro from my disk, will I be able to update it ?
>
> How ?
>
> I do not need the Linux.
>
> If it is truly important I can take out the screws and see what is
> inside. I am 79 but can still turn a screwdriver if I can find one.
>

> Paul wrote:
>> Frankly wrote:
>>> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro
>>> as that is what I have a MS disk for. No learning curve past Win 7
>>> Pro please. I'm Too old !
>>>

>>> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>>>
>>> How ?
>>>
>>> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to
>>> dump Linux. I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for
>>> that learning curve.
>>>
>>> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7
>>> Pro or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and
>>> shoot) Not mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with
>>> Linux on it, is supposed to be really fast.
>>
>> Frankly, this post is laden with landmines.
>>
>> "My new computer, now with Linux on it, is <=== too technical for me
>> supposed to be really fast." <=== im old and might
>> hurt meself
>>
>> "with Linux on it" <== a dessert topping ???
>>
>> Anyone running Linux knows (roughly) the name
>> of the distro. For example, a few minutes ago I was
>> running Linux Mint 19 on this machine, now I'm running
>> Windows 8.1 (because the machine has problems and I'm
>> struggling to figure out what causes freezes).
>>
>> "supposed to be really fast" <=== puzzler, are you on another
>> continent and not standing next
>> to the machine ?
>>
>> How are we supposed to add anything cogent to that coat
>> of white wash ? It's a mighty fine day we're havin,
>> and the sun is strong.
>>
>> I don't know how many hard drives you have, the name of the
>> computer (Dell 1234, Asus Z390 w. 10400F processor, etc).
>> Any kind of hint might accidentally frame up an answer.

>> Paul

Preferred order. Doing them in this order, means
"zero work" for the multibooter person.

WinXP uses boot.ini for boot menu
Vista uses BCD for boot menu
W7
W8
W8.1
W10 later Windows OS can "detect" older Windows OSes
Linux1 (uses GRUB for boot management) (osprober detects WinOS, chainload is setup)
Linux2 (uses GRUB for boot management) (osprober detects WinOS, chainload is setup)
Linux3 (uses GRUB for boot management) (osprober detects WinOS, chainload is setup)

*******

You can do them in the wrong order if you want.

You can chroot into the Linux on the disk, and carry out the install-grub
procedure, and that will remove the ugly bits of the Windows boot and
replace with GRUB for boot management.

So what happens - if you install Win7 after Linux.

1) GRUB is wiped out.
2) Boot a Linux Live DVD or USB stick and install GRUB.
3) Now, Windows 7 appears in the GRUB menu.

+-----+------------+------------+----------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| MBR | Linux Swap | Linux Main | System Reserved | Windows 7 C: |
| | | | Win7 (Active) )(boot flag) | Can be primary, or Extended/Logical |
+-----+------------+------------+----------------------------+-------------------------------------+

The two on the left, I assume are already installed. The
Linux Main partition is also referred to as "Slash" as
it is the top of the file system or "/" .

When you install Windows 7, you can use "Custom" and set the
size of the partition used for the main Windows partition. Even
if you try to pick a size for C: first, no problem, Windows will
just go right ahead, put the System Reserved before C;, make
System Reserved a Primary, then make C: an Extended with a Logical
in it. All present and correct. Just pretend you're about to
get your own way, and try to pick a size for C: and given a chance
the installer will do them in the order it likes, but still give
you the C: size you requested. That's how the diagram ends up
in that order. It's partly magical. It does them this way,
because System Reserved must be a Primary, whereas C: can
be just about anything, like an Extended/Logical is just fine.

Windows 7 makes a System Reserved <1GB, and sets the boot flag
on it as part of the Windows orchestrated boot management.

Now, when finished, only Windows boots.

That's when you boot the Linux LiveDVD and chroot into the
Linux partition, and do the install GRUB thing. That removes
the Windows boot loader and installs the Linux one, because
the Linux one will manage both types. The Windows one would not
pay attention to the Linux partitions, which is why we have
to kick it to the curb.

One of the rules about OS installation, is try to only have
the target disk plugged into a SATA port while installing.
That way, you can swear later, that no funny business happened
to "tie the wrong disks together". If there is only one hard
drive present, the GRUB can't end up on the wrong drive by
accident.

Paul

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbtrm9$f46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1776&group=alt.windows7.general#1776

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 22:44:24 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 02:44 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
> for Windows 7 when Microsoft still supported it, you won't get any from
> Microsoft's WSUS servers.
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962
> "After January 14, 2020, PCs running Windows 7 no longer receive
> security updates."
>
> The feature updates ended even earlier (when mainstream support ended).
> Looks like you won't even get the service packs. You just said Windows
> 7, but not at which service pack level. You might have a disc for
> Windows 7 x64 SP-3, or you might have an even older disc with SP-2,
> SP-1, or without any service pack pre-applied.
>
> "Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after end of support"
>
> So, you can still activate an installation of Windows 7 despite
> mainstream and extended support are dead.

I use my wsusoffline ZIP file, for patching. It has around 150 patches
in it. The installation process takes five reboots. Each "session" does a
small portion of the work. At a guess:

1) Patching up Windows Update (not as trivial as it seems)
2) Installing SHA2 signing patch, to make the SHA256 signatures
on the newer packages, to be accepted.
3) Installs IE11. Some Windows will not activate, unless a modern
mshtml engine is there to help or something. I don't question the
logic and just "do it".
4) There are a few patches, which, when installed, reduce the
supersedence calculation time. Those might be staged first.
5) Then, the 150 patches, big and small, are loaded.

That's just to give some idea, what work it does for you.

https://download.wsusoffline.net/

"Modifications in version 11.9

- NOTE: This version will be the last one supporting Windows 7
and Server 2008 (R2)"

I think my ZIP with the kit in it, is version 9.6 or so,
and mine doesn't patch right up to the minute. But once
SP1 is installed, and the 150 others are installed, the
remaining ones can easily be installed the regular way,
as you see fit.

Basically, you run the "collector" first, it downloads
the 150 patches straight from Microsoft. They're protected
by checksums. Next, for any machine requiring updates,
you go to the "client" folder and run the updater.
Multiple times, since the patches must be done in
"waves", with reboots in between.

One of the porkish parts of the process, is Windows Update
memory usage shoots through the roof. Even on an 8GB RAM
machine, you can watch as the 150 patches go in, and you
can see the machine heading for an "out of RAM" situation.
It can also slow down, when this happens. But Windows
is too stupid to do decent garbage collection, so it is
what it is. You can "control-C" the update window and
stop the updating, and the process (like Windows Update itself),
will redo the half-finished one.

The same out-of-RAM situation arises with the real
Windows Update and doing it the hard way. It's not
the fault of WSUSoffline code. The more RAM the machine
has, the more wasteful the procedure becomes. I had hoped
the 8GB machine would make this process a breeze, but
I ended up killing the process part way through, and
breaking the long section into two chunks.

AFAIK, the process will try to avoid installing the WGA patch.
I don't know today, if you can escape that entirely or not.

Paul

Re: Win 7 Install

<107qv7r88znqh$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1779&group=alt.windows7.general#1779

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 04:01:58 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 09:01 UTC

philo <philo@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> You are not too old. Sheesh. My 94 year old mother has no problem with
> Win10. It's not much different than Win 7.

Plus, for those that really cannot withstand even a small learning curve
(although they could turn off the boob tube for a short time, and the
public library has Dummies and other instructional books, even lowly
picture books, to help), there are some alternative shell tools, like:

Stardock's Start10 ($3.74)
OpenShell (free, but only provides community support)

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbuuf0$7gm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1781&group=alt.windows7.general#1781

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 08:37:52 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 12:37 UTC

On 7/5/21 5:01 AM, this is what VanguardLH wrote:
> Stardock's Start10 ($3.74)
> OpenShell (free, but only provides community support)
Skip one Burger King whopper and you can buy that easily.! And it's more healthy!

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbv3d5$dnm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1782&group=alt.windows7.general#1782

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 07:02:15 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:02 UTC

Frankly graced us with on 7/4/2021 4:52 PM:

> I didn't look the gift horse in the mouth !
>
> So if I install Win 7 Pro from my disk, will I be able to update it ?
>
> How ?
>
> I do not need the Linux.
>
> If it is truly important I can take out the screws and see what is
> inside. I am 79 but can still turn a screwdriver if I can find one.
>

> Paul wrote:
>> Frankly wrote:
>>> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro
>>> as that is what I have a MS disk for. No learning curve past Win 7
>>> Pro please. I'm Too old !
>>>

>>> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>>>
>>> How ?
>>>
>>> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to
>>> dump Linux. I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for
>>> that learning curve.
>>>
>>> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7
>>> Pro or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and
>>> shoot) Not mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with
>>> Linux on it, is supposed to be really fast.
>>
>> Frankly, this post is laden with landmines.
>>
>> "My new computer, now with Linux on it, is <=== too technical for me
>> supposed to be really fast." <=== im old and might
>> hurt meself
>>
>> "with Linux on it" <== a dessert topping ???
>>
>> Anyone running Linux knows (roughly) the name
>> of the distro. For example, a few minutes ago I was
>> running Linux Mint 19 on this machine, now I'm running
>> Windows 8.1 (because the machine has problems and I'm
>> struggling to figure out what causes freezes).
>>
>> "supposed to be really fast" <=== puzzler, are you on another
>> continent and not standing next
>> to the machine ?
>>
>> How are we supposed to add anything cogent to that coat
>> of white wash ? It's a mighty fine day we're havin,
>> and the sun is strong.
>>
>> I don't know how many hard drives you have, the name of the
>> computer (Dell 1234, Asus Z390 w. 10400F processor, etc).
>> Any kind of hint might accidentally frame up an answer.

I installed Win7 Ultimate on a separate disk on my system a month or so
back and I was able to retrieve what seemed like all the updates (there
were a slew of them.)

I believe your biggest exposure will be the ability to find OS drivers
for the new hardware, assuming your new box has any that post-dates the
Win7-only driver set.

YMMV

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Win 7 Install

<sbvogk$863$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1784&group=alt.windows7.general#1784

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 16:02:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 20:02 UTC

Sailfish wrote:

> I installed Win7 Ultimate on a separate disk on my system a month or so
> back and I was able to retrieve what seemed like all the updates (there
> were a slew of them.)
>
> I believe your biggest exposure will be the ability to find OS drivers
> for the new hardware, assuming your new box has any that post-dates the
> Win7-only driver set.
>
> YMMV

I find the ability to bootstrap the older OSes, in
a Windows Update situation, can be quite flawed.

For example, I dare you today, to try to install your
Vista DVD, then ask Windows Update to work. It will
not work. It took me three tries to fix that, and
now I know how to do it. It took a solid six working
days, to get that far.

You have to remember they've switched to SHA2 signing
on packages past a certain date. If the updates were
installed in a good order, that patch might flow in
before it was needed. But there are always gotchas
in the sequence, and running out of RAM is a real
possibility, if you were thinking it could finish
in just one session.

The difference with WSUSOffline client updater, is
the IT people who designed it, they actually do things
in logical order, and they seem to test their stuff.
Whereas it's unclear Microsoft checks whether they
broke any legacy stuff. The Vista situation is
frightfully bad, an embarrassment, except I suppose
who in their right mind would install Vista ?
Someone who paid for it maybe ??? Oh, yeah, them.

Paul

Re: Win 7 Install

<sc01cd$3g7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1787&group=alt.windows7.general#1787

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 15:33:51 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:33 UTC

Paul graced us with on 7/5/2021 1:02 PM:
> Sailfish wrote:
>
>> I installed Win7 Ultimate on a separate disk on my system a month or
>> so back and I was able to retrieve what seemed like all the updates
>> (there were a slew of them.)
>>
>> I believe your biggest exposure will be the ability to find OS drivers
>> for the new hardware, assuming your new box has any that post-dates
>> the Win7-only driver set.
>>
>> YMMV
>
> I find the ability to bootstrap the older OSes, in
> a Windows Update situation, can be quite flawed.
>
> For example, I dare you today, to try to install your
> Vista DVD, then ask Windows Update to work. It will
> not work. It took me three tries to fix that, and
> now I know how to do it. It took a solid six working
> days, to get that far.
>
> You have to remember they've switched to SHA2 signing
> on packages past a certain date. If the updates were
> installed in a good order, that patch might flow in
> before it was needed. But there are always gotchas
> in the sequence, and running out of RAM is a real
> possibility, if you were thinking it could finish
> in just one session.
>
> The difference with WSUSOffline client updater, is
> the IT people who designed it, they actually do things
> in logical order, and they seem to test their stuff.
> Whereas it's unclear Microsoft checks whether they
> broke any legacy stuff. The Vista situation is
> frightfully bad, an embarrassment, except I suppose
> who in their right mind would install Vista ?
> Someone who paid for it maybe ??? Oh, yeah, them.

Hmm, the only thing I recall have difficulty with for the Win7 Ultimate
was getting IE11 installation file, eventually finding it on microsoft
using tedious searching. (Only need IE11 for an ActiveX add-on I use
frequently).

However, reading your cautionary posts, I dl'd the latest WSUSOffline
package in case I need it for future use.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Win 7 Install

<sc047a$i27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1788&group=alt.windows7.general#1788

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 19:22:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 23:22 UTC

Sailfish wrote:
> Paul graced us with on 7/5/2021 1:02 PM:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> I installed Win7 Ultimate on a separate disk on my system a month or
>>> so back and I was able to retrieve what seemed like all the updates
>>> (there were a slew of them.)
>>>
>>> I believe your biggest exposure will be the ability to find OS
>>> drivers for the new hardware, assuming your new box has any that
>>> post-dates the Win7-only driver set.
>>>
>>> YMMV
>>
>> I find the ability to bootstrap the older OSes, in
>> a Windows Update situation, can be quite flawed.
>>
>> For example, I dare you today, to try to install your
>> Vista DVD, then ask Windows Update to work. It will
>> not work. It took me three tries to fix that, and
>> now I know how to do it. It took a solid six working
>> days, to get that far.
>>
>> You have to remember they've switched to SHA2 signing
>> on packages past a certain date. If the updates were
>> installed in a good order, that patch might flow in
>> before it was needed. But there are always gotchas
>> in the sequence, and running out of RAM is a real
>> possibility, if you were thinking it could finish
>> in just one session.
>>
>> The difference with WSUSOffline client updater, is
>> the IT people who designed it, they actually do things
>> in logical order, and they seem to test their stuff.
>> Whereas it's unclear Microsoft checks whether they
>> broke any legacy stuff. The Vista situation is
>> frightfully bad, an embarrassment, except I suppose
>> who in their right mind would install Vista ?
>> Someone who paid for it maybe ??? Oh, yeah, them.
>>
> Hmm, the only thing I recall have difficulty with for the Win7 Ultimate
> was getting IE11 installation file, eventually finding it on microsoft
> using tedious searching. (Only need IE11 for an ActiveX add-on I use
> frequently).
>
> However, reading your cautionary posts, I dl'd the latest WSUSOffline
> package in case I need it for future use.

The WsusOffline packages are version specific. After 11.2,
Windows 7 is no longer supported. Vista would have been an
earlier one. I have a bunch of these here, scattered all over
the place. I have a WinXP one as a Care Package (on a USB stick) :-)

Some support more than one OS, and there are also tick boxes
for x86 and x64. One where I collected both 32 bit and 64 bit, it
was 8GB, another with just x64 was 4GB or so. Ticking the boxes
for Service Packs could bloat it up a bit.

And it will patch up, a partially patched machine.
If you're only missing a year of patches, the update
time can be reasonably short.

Paul

Re: Win 7 Install

<sc04so$jlr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1789&group=alt.windows7.general#1789

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 16:33:47 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 23:33 UTC

Paul graced us with on 7/5/2021 4:22 PM:
> Sailfish wrote:
>> Paul graced us with on 7/5/2021 1:02 PM:

>>> I find the ability to bootstrap the older OSes, in
>>> a Windows Update situation, can be quite flawed.
>>>
>>> For example, I dare you today, to try to install your
>>> Vista DVD, then ask Windows Update to work. It will
>>> not work. It took me three tries to fix that, and
>>> now I know how to do it. It took a solid six working
>>> days, to get that far.
>>>
>>> You have to remember they've switched to SHA2 signing
>>> on packages past a certain date. If the updates were
>>> installed in a good order, that patch might flow in
>>> before it was needed. But there are always gotchas
>>> in the sequence, and running out of RAM is a real
>>> possibility, if you were thinking it could finish
>>> in just one session.
>>>
>>> The difference with WSUSOffline client updater, is
>>> the IT people who designed it, they actually do things
>>> in logical order, and they seem to test their stuff.
>>> Whereas it's unclear Microsoft checks whether they
>>> broke any legacy stuff. The Vista situation is
>>> frightfully bad, an embarrassment, except I suppose
>>> who in their right mind would install Vista ?
>>> Someone who paid for it maybe ??? Oh, yeah, them.
>>>
>> Hmm, the only thing I recall have difficulty with for the Win7
>> Ultimate was getting IE11 installation file, eventually finding it on
>> microsoft using tedious searching. (Only need IE11 for an ActiveX
>> add-on I use frequently).
>>
>> However, reading your cautionary posts, I dl'd the latest WSUSOffline
>> package in case I need it for future use.
>>

> The WsusOffline packages are version specific. After 11.2,
> Windows 7 is no longer supported. Vista would have been an
> earlier one. I have a bunch of these here, scattered all over
> the place. I have a WinXP one as a Care Package (on a USB stick) :-)
>
> Some support more than one OS, and there are also tick boxes
> for x86 and x64. One where I collected both 32 bit and 64 bit, it
> was 8GB, another with just x64 was 4GB or so. Ticking the boxes
> for Service Packs could bloat it up a bit.
>
> And it will patch up, a partially patched machine.
> If you're only missing a year of patches, the update
> time can be reasonably short.

Yes, I saw that in your previous post. I dl'd v11.9.

Thanks, again.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Win 7 Install

<sc0dqv$1fhv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1791&group=alt.windows7.general#1791

From: mbhel...@aussiebroadband.com.au (Maurice Helwig)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 12:06:25 +1000
 by: Maurice Helwig - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 02:06 UTC

On 5/07/2021 5:07 am, Frankly wrote:
> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro as
> that is what I have a MS disk for.   No learning curve past Win 7 Pro
> please. I'm Too old !
>

> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>
>   How ?
>
> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to dump
> Linux.  I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for that
> learning curve.
>
> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better:  Win 7 Pro
> or Linux.  (Games with a easy learning curve.  Just point and shoot) Not
> mandatory, just a thought.   My new computer, now with Linux on it, is
> supposed to be really fast.

Try this Site for step by step instructions to reinstall Windows 7 --

http://www.canadiantech.info/for-techies/re-build-windows-7/rebuild-windows-7-july-2018/
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maurice Helwig

Re: Win 7 Install

<6bl7egp3l2rd496oqscaqqg9fom9jhs506@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1792&group=alt.windows7.general#1792

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 06:05:23 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 04:05 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:52:47 -0700, Frankly <Frankly@Frankly.COM>
wrote:

>I didn't look the gift horse in the mouth !
>
>So if I install Win 7 Pro from my disk, will I be able to update it ?

Probably not.

Microsoft has ended support for Win 7 and no longer provides updates,
so you'll probably be stuck with what you have on the disk.

That shouldn't cause too many problems until the updates of apps you
use stop working on the version of Windows you are using.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Win 7 Install

<sc1u66$i6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1793&group=alt.windows7.general#1793

From: dave61...@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 15:51:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 15:51 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 12:07:39 -0700, Frankly wrote:

> I have a computer with Linux on it and want to install Windows 7 Pro as
> that is what I have a MS disk for. No learning curve past Win 7 Pro
> please. I'm Too old !
>

> Will I be able to bring it up to the latest Win 7 updates ?
>
> How ?
>
> Hoping to make it dual boot although if I have to I am willing to dump
> Linux. I have tried to play with Linux but I am too old for that
> learning curve.
>
> If I wanted to try some gaming application which is better: Win 7 Pro
> or Linux. (Games with a easy learning curve. Just point and shoot) Not
> mandatory, just a thought. My new computer, now with Linux on it,
> is supposed to be really fast.

You don't say what version of Linux is on the machine. Linux Mint or some
others is not only not harder than windows, if you confine yourself to
the graphical interface in my opinion it's easier.
I've not tried to install windows alongside an existing system so I don't
know how well that goes. It easy enough to install Linux alongside
windows.
People tell me windows is better for games, but Linux is catching up fast.
I don't play games except for freecell.
My desktop machine is Linux Mint only and I'm 91. I installed Linux on
our laptop alongside windows as dual boot, windows is now never used.
That machine is mainly used by my wife and she is about as non techie as
you can get. She is 83, so enough with this age nonsense, you're never
too old to learn.

Re: Win 7 Install

<ikm5ofFi1d2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1805&group=alt.windows7.general#1805

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 19:14:54 +0200
 by: s|b - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 17:14 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:55:50 -0700, Frankly wrote:

> I am glad you carefully read my post, NOT !
> "No learning curve past Win 7 Pro please. I'm Too old ! "

Sorry, I missed that. The main reason that I referred to the free W10
upgrade is because it's free and it's still supported. As to learning
curve: mother is 71 and she uses W10. IMHO it's not that different from
W7 and you can use tools like StartIsBack or Start10 or Open-Shell
(freeware) to bring back the W7 look.

--
s|b