Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and think what nobody else has thought.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

SubjectAuthor
* Toggling Android Phone On and OffBoris
`* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffVanguardLH
 +- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offpaul
 `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffBoris
  `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffVanguardLH
   `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffBoris
    +* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffVanguardLH
    |+* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||`* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffBoris
    || `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||  `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffFrank Slootweg
    ||   `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||    `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offsms
    ||     +- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||     `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||      +* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||      |`- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offpaul
    ||      `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffFrank Slootweg
    ||       `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||        +* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||        |`* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||        | `- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||        `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffFrank Slootweg
    ||         +- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||         `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||          `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||           `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffFrank Slootweg
    ||            +- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offpaul
    ||            +- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||            `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||             +* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Offnospam
    ||             |+- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffAJL
    ||             |`- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffFrank Slootweg
    ||             `- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffFrank Slootweg
    |`* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffBoris
    | +* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffBoris
    | |`- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffVanguardLH
    | `- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffVanguardLH
    `* Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffFrank Slootweg
     `- Re: Toggling Android Phone On and OffVanguardLH

Pages:12
Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<XnsAD6297066ACD1nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17569&group=comp.mobile.android#17569

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Toggling Android Phone On and Off
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:50:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:50 UTC

I have many Samsung android phones. I frequently turn them on and off.

Is there any other way than having to press and hold the power button for
many seconds to toggle the phone on and off? I doubt it, but thought I'd
ask.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<1scpjnijrxzft.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17579&group=comp.mobile.android#17579

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 19:16:35 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 00:16 UTC

Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I have many Samsung android phones. I frequently turn them on and off.
>
> Is there any other way than having to press and hold the power button for
> many seconds to toggle the phone on and off? I doubt it, but thought I'd
> ask.

https://technastic.com/turn-off-android-phone-without-power-button/

You didn't bother to mention WHICH Samsung phones you have. Samsung is
a company name, not a series name and model number. Some have removable
batteries, some don't. If your have removable batteries, pop off the
back cover and pop out the battery. Wait 3 seconds before putting the
battery back in, and replace the back cover.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<scb719$r21$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17585&group=comp.mobile.android#17585

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 06:17:57 +0200
 by: paul - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 04:17 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 09.07.2021 20:16
>> I have many Samsung android phones. I frequently turn them on and off.
>>
>> Is there any other way than having to press and hold the power button for
>> many seconds to toggle the phone on and off? I doubt it, but thought I'd
>> ask.
>
> https://technastic.com/turn-off-android-phone-without-power-button/
>
> You didn't bother to mention WHICH Samsung phones you have. Samsung is
> a company name, not a series name and model number. Some have removable
> batteries, some don't. If your have removable batteries, pop off the
> back cover and pop out the battery. Wait 3 seconds before putting the
> battery back in, and replace the back cover.

My Samsung A32 5G with Android 11 has this capability which may help the OP?
https://i.postimg.cc/9fmLBPYD/onoff01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/MTXtCW4x/onoff02.jpg
--
On the Android newsgroup purposefully helpful people help each other.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<XnsAD639C36073F2nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17633&group=comp.mobile.android#17633

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:21:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:21 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:1scpjnijrxzft.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I have many Samsung android phones. I frequently turn them on and
>> off.
>>
>> Is there any other way than having to press and hold the power button
>> for many seconds to toggle the phone on and off? I doubt it, but
>> thought I'd ask.
>
> https://technastic.com/turn-off-android-phone-without-power-button/
>
> You didn't bother to mention WHICH Samsung phones you have. Samsung
> is a company name, not a series name and model number. Some have
> removable batteries, some don't. If your have removable batteries,
> pop off the back cover and pop out the battery. Wait 3 seconds before
> putting the battery back in, and replace the back cover.

Well, yes, removing the battery will shut the phone down, but as I said I
frequently turn my phone(s) on and off. Since the power button does
work, I'd never go through the process of remobing the back and battery
(one of my phones has a removable battery) just to shut the phone down.

Your article was very helpful. On all four of my Samsung phones (old and
new), I surmised from the article that the 'Accessibility' setting was
the key to enabling a faster method of powering off the phone.

On one phone, Settings>My Device>Accessibility>Show shortcut>
Accessibility...this will allow a one second push and hold of the power
button, which in turn will bring up a menu which included Power Off,
Restart, and Airplane Mode. Once set up, this is a two step process.

On another phone, Settings>Accessiblilty>Accessibility menu>User
service...places an icon that's available on all screens that when
pressed, gives a shortcut menu with power off and 11 other shortcuts.

On two other phones, Settings>Accessibility>Interaction and dexterity>
Assistant menu>Assistant menu options...places an icon that's available
on all screens that when pressed, gives a shortcut menu with power off
and 14 other shortcuts.

Now, how do I turn the phone back on without having to press and hold the
power button three seconds? That's the other half of the question.

Thanks.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17655&group=comp.mobile.android#17655

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 06:26:03 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:26 UTC

Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Now, how do I turn the phone back on without having to press and hold the
> power button three seconds? That's the other half of the question.

Unless I'm fixing a problem, and a restart might help, I leave my phone
on 24x7. The only time my phone goes off is when the battery gets too
low (I forgot to plug back into the charger). The couple seconds of
pressing and holding the Power button seems very trivial compared to the
time it takes to load the firmware which shows LG's banner screen and
wait for the OS to load and until the home screen gets displayed. The
time difference would be like how long to replace the tire valve cap
versus how long to refill a completely empty tire.

With power off, the OS is obviously not loaded, so you cannot use an app
or shortcut because those aren't available until after the OS loads.
You sure you want to keep turning on and off your phone? If you are
trying to save the battery between uses, maybe just toggling Airplane
Mode and using a blank lockscreen (that idle triggers in 1 or 2 minutes,
not after an hour, to save on screen brightness consumption) would save
enough battery power to let you leave it on 24x7. Unlock when you want
to use the phone, and toggle off Airplane mode to make/receive calls and
texts, and use data for Internet access.

Airplane mode will turn off all radios in the phone, so no calls, texts,
Internet access, GPS location, NFC scan, no wifi, etc. But then turning
off the phone guarantees no use of any radio. If you want fast startup
of Android, you need to stop unloading Android.

Press and hold of the Power button will show you the Power Off and
Restart options, but it should also show you Turn On Airplane Mode. No
waiting for Android to unload for a Power Off. No waiting for Android
to load for a Power On. If using the drop-down menu to get at the
Airplane mode button is far too much a hassle to you, get an app that
puts a widget icon on the screen: tap the widget to toggle Airplane mode
(they'll probably show a prompt to make sure you didn't butt-press the
widget's icon).

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<XnsAD6494BB8709Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17671&group=comp.mobile.android#17671

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 21:37:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 21:37 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Now, how do I turn the phone back on without having to press and hold
>> the power button three seconds? That's the other half of the
>> question.
>
> Unless I'm fixing a problem, and a restart might help, I leave my
> phone on 24x7. The only time my phone goes off is when the battery
> gets too low (I forgot to plug back into the charger). The couple
> seconds of pressing and holding the Power button seems very trivial
> compared to the time it takes to load the firmware which shows LG's
> banner screen and wait for the OS to load and until the home screen
> gets displayed. The time difference would be like how long to replace
> the tire valve cap versus how long to refill a completely empty tire.

I don't care about the wait time. More below.

> With power off, the OS is obviously not loaded, so you cannot use an
> app or shortcut because those aren't available until after the OS
> loads. You sure you want to keep turning on and off your phone? If
> you are trying to save the battery between uses, maybe just toggling
> Airplane Mode and using a blank lockscreen (that idle triggers in 1 or
> 2 minutes, not after an hour, to save on screen brightness
> consumption) would save enough battery power to let you leave it on
> 24x7. Unlock when you want to use the phone, and toggle off Airplane
> mode to make/receive calls and texts, and use data for Internet
> access.
>
> Airplane mode will turn off all radios in the phone, so no calls,
> texts, Internet access, GPS location, NFC scan, no wifi, etc. But
> then turning off the phone guarantees no use of any radio. If you
> want fast startup of Android, you need to stop unloading Android.
>
> Press and hold of the Power button will show you the Power Off and
> Restart options, but it should also show you Turn On Airplane Mode.
> No waiting for Android to unload for a Power Off. No waiting for
> Android to load for a Power On. If using the drop-down menu to get at
> the Airplane mode button is far too much a hassle to you,

Oh, pleeeease...

get an app
> that puts a widget icon on the screen: tap the widget to toggle
> Airplane mode (they'll probably show a prompt to make sure you didn't
> butt-press the widget's icon).

Yes, Airplane mode is a good way to save battery power, but I don't turn
my phone(s) off in order to save battery power. I turn if off because I
don't need to be 'connected' on a 24x7 basis.

The reason I'm interested in finding ways other than using the power
button to turn my phone(s) off and on has to do with my ability to hold
the phone in one hand and hard pressing the power button. It's difficult
for me, especially if the phone has a case that envelopes all the
hardware buttons, which makes a three-second hard press difficult for me.
Sometimes, I've held the power button for over three seconds, and nothing
has happened, because I haven't pressed hard enough. Start over.

With the newer phones, this is even harder for me, since the phones are
larger and more difficult for me to hold in one hand while hard pressing
the power button. With the larger phones, though, I'm able to turn them
off with touches to widgets/shortcuts I set up yesterday. If my phone is
sitting on my desk, I don't even have to pick it up.

I was just hoping there was some way of turning it on without having to
hard press and hold the power button. Perhaps via the fingerprint
sensor. One touch turns it on, and the next touch unlocks it. But like
I said in my OP, I doubt it.

Thanks.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<1r1y64gi8ps14$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17673&group=comp.mobile.android#17673

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 20:06:54 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:06 UTC

Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Now, how do I turn the phone back on without having to press and hold
>>> the power button three seconds? That's the other half of the
>>> question.
>>
>> Unless I'm fixing a problem, and a restart might help, I leave my
>> phone on 24x7. The only time my phone goes off is when the battery
>> gets too low (I forgot to plug back into the charger). The couple
>> seconds of pressing and holding the Power button seems very trivial
>> compared to the time it takes to load the firmware which shows LG's
>> banner screen and wait for the OS to load and until the home screen
>> gets displayed. The time difference would be like how long to replace
>> the tire valve cap versus how long to refill a completely empty tire.
>
> I don't care about the wait time. More below.

The way you phrased your inquiry of "without having to press and hold
the power button three seconds" could be interpreted as:
- You don't want to use the Power button to turn on (maybe it's broke).
- Or, it's okay to use the Power button, but you don't want to wait the
3 seconds used to avoid accidental butt presses of the Power button.

I took your inquiry as the latter: you want immediate power on using the
Power button. No 3-second safety delay. Since the OS isn't loaded to
effect the delay, that delay must be part of the hardware's firmware
(BIOS).

>> With power off, the OS is obviously not loaded, so you cannot use an
>> app or shortcut because those aren't available until after the OS
>> loads. You sure you want to keep turning on and off your phone? If
>> you are trying to save the battery between uses, maybe just toggling
>> Airplane Mode and using a blank lockscreen (that idle triggers in 1 or
>> 2 minutes, not after an hour, to save on screen brightness
>> consumption) would save enough battery power to let you leave it on
>> 24x7. Unlock when you want to use the phone, and toggle off Airplane
>> mode to make/receive calls and texts, and use data for Internet
>> access.
>>
>> Airplane mode will turn off all radios in the phone, so no calls,
>> texts, Internet access, GPS location, NFC scan, no wifi, etc. But
>> then turning off the phone guarantees no use of any radio. If you
>> want fast startup of Android, you need to stop unloading Android.
>>
>> Press and hold of the Power button will show you the Power Off and
>> Restart options, but it should also show you Turn On Airplane Mode.
>> No waiting for Android to unload for a Power Off. No waiting for
>> Android to load for a Power On. If using the drop-down menu to get at
>> the Airplane mode button is far too much a hassle to you,
>
> Oh, pleeeease...
> get an app

I don't need an app. I'm not the one that is intolerant of a couple
seconds waiting for the menu to appear when holding the Power button.
That's not me. That's you.

I also don't care about the couple of seconds it takes for me to pull
down the control panel to tap on the Airplane mode button to toggle the
state of that mode. Again, it's not my problem. It's your problem.

>> that puts a widget icon on the screen: tap the widget to toggle
>> Airplane mode (they'll probably show a prompt to make sure you didn't
>> butt-press the widget's icon).
>
> Yes, Airplane mode is a good way to save battery power, but I don't
> turn my phone(s) off in order to save battery power. I turn if off
> because I don't need to be 'connected' on a 24x7 basis.
>
> The reason I'm interested in finding ways other than using the power
> button to turn my phone(s) off and on has to do with my ability to
> hold the phone in one hand and hard pressing the power button. It's
> difficult for me, especially if the phone has a case that envelopes
> all the hardware buttons, which makes a three-second hard press
> difficult for me. Sometimes, I've held the power button for over
> three seconds, and nothing has happened, because I haven't pressed
> hard enough. Start over.

I have had several armor cases on my phones. Usually takes a few before
I find one that I like best for a phone. Those that merely have holes
for the buttons will make the buttons hard to use. No way to get around
that: the button is in a hole with that case on the phone. I'd get the
armor case that had the silicone impact wrapper (which then gets wrapped
with the hard armor shell) with its own button extenders. That is, the
silicone shell has outdents for the buttons. After putting on the hard
outer shell, the silicone outdents would let me press on those outdents
to then press on the phone's buttons. I didn't regret just clipping my
fingernails short, so not have long enough fingernails to wedge into
holes in the hard outer armor case.

While there are workarounds for an easier power off (from power on
state), I don't see there are going to be easy power on (from power off
state) options. The OS isn't loaded. The phone is off, so no firmware
is going to assist you. I think you need a better designed armor case.

> With the newer phones, this is even harder for me, since the phones
> are larger and more difficult for me to hold in one hand while hard
> pressing the power button.

My latest one is an LG V20. Its dimensions are 159.7 x 78.1 x 7.6 mm
(6.3" high x 3.1" wide x 0.3" thick) with a 5.7" screen.

I'm sure that qualifies it as a large-screen smartphone. It certainly
is huge compared to my earlier flip/brick dumb phones. It's too big to
put in my pants pockets, and too heavy for shirt pockets, so I stow it
in a belt holster when toting it around.

There are larger smartphones. They're in the phablet category: phone +
tablet. They are tablets with the radios needed to make them
smartphones. You'll never wrap one hand around one of those.

I'm lucky in my choice of smartphone, though, because the Power button
is in the middle of the backside. My finger only has to reach halfway
across the phone. Otherwise, I would have to hold the phone in
whichever hand let me use its thumb to press a side-mounted Power
button. If the Power button were on the left side, I'd have to get used
to holding the phone in my left hand despite being right handed.

> I was just hoping there was some way of turning it on without having
> to hard press and hold the power button. Perhaps via the fingerprint
> sensor. One touch turns it on, and the next touch unlocks it. But
> like I said in my OP, I doubt it.

Sounds like you need a better designed armor case where its silicone
shell (used to absorb impacts) doesn't have holes for the buttons, but
has outdents to extend the buttons out through the hard outer case.

If all you have is a thin hard case with no silicone liner, toss it.
That case is not protecting your phone from you dropping it. Possibly
it might help from scratching the screen when laying it face down on a
desk, but a cheap hard case won't have much, if anything, of a lip to
raise the screen glass off the desk. Get rid of the cheapo hard case,
and just use the phone as-is, or get an armor case with a silicone shell
that has outdents for the buttons.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<scg5vb$hml$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17674&group=comp.mobile.android#17674

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:30:21 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:30 UTC

On 7/11/2021 6:06 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

> Sounds like you [Boris] need a better designed armor case where its
> silicone shell (used to absorb impacts) doesn't have holes for the
> buttons, but has outdents to extend the buttons out through the hard
> outer case.
>
> If all you have is a thin hard case with no silicone liner, toss it.
> That case is not protecting your phone from you dropping it.

Another thing to consider when buying a phone case is wireless charging.
My phone won't wireless charge with a thick case. However I finally
found an thinner Otterbox that worked. Don't have wireless charging? Get
it on your next phone, you'll never go back...

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<XnsAD64CBA433630nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17675&group=comp.mobile.android#17675

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:01:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:01 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote in news:scg5vb$hml$1@gioia.aioe.org:

> On 7/11/2021 6:06 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you [Boris] need a better designed armor case where its
>> silicone shell (used to absorb impacts) doesn't have holes for the
>> buttons, but has outdents to extend the buttons out through the hard
>> outer case.
>>
>> If all you have is a thin hard case with no silicone liner, toss it.
>> That case is not protecting your phone from you dropping it.
>
> Another thing to consider when buying a phone case is wireless
charging.
> My phone won't wireless charge with a thick case. However I finally
> found an thinner Otterbox that worked. Don't have wireless charging?
Get
> it on your next phone, you'll never go back...

Absolutely, I will not buy another phone without wireless charging. The
charging port always fails.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<scgc8b$a24$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17676&group=comp.mobile.android#17676

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 20:17:30 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:17 UTC

On 7/11/2021 8:01 PM, Boris wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote in news:scg5vb$hml$1@gioia.aioe.org:
>> On 7/11/2021 6:06 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

>>> Sounds like you [Boris] need a better designed armor case where
>>> its silicone shell (used to absorb impacts) doesn't have holes
>>> for the buttons, but has outdents to extend the buttons out
>>> through the hard outer case.

>>> If all you have is a thin hard case with no silicone liner, toss
>>> it. That case is not protecting your phone from you dropping it.

>> Another thing to consider when buying a phone case is wireless
>> charging. My phone won't wireless charge with a thick case.
>> However I finally found an thinner Otterbox that worked. Don't
>> have wireless charging? Get it on your next phone, you'll never go
>> back...

> Absolutely, I will not buy another phone without wireless charging.
> The charging port always fails.

I've never had a port fail (knocks on wood) but I really do like the
convenience of wireless charging.

BTW for Frank: My Amazon Fire HD8+ tablet has wireless charging unlike
many NORMAL Android tablets... ;)

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<XnsAD64D1087BD3Cnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17677&group=comp.mobile.android#17677

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:32:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:32 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:1r1y64gi8ps14$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

>>> Unless I'm fixing a problem, and a restart might help, I leave my
>>> phone on 24x7. The only time my phone goes off is when the battery
>>> gets too low (I forgot to plug back into the charger). The couple
>>> seconds of pressing and holding the Power button seems very trivial
>>> compared to the time it takes to load the firmware which shows LG's
>>> banner screen and wait for the OS to load and until the home screen
>>> gets displayed. The time difference would be like how long to
replace
>>> the tire valve cap versus how long to refill a completely empty tire.
>>
>> I don't care about the wait time. More below.
>
> The way you phrased your inquiry of "without having to press and hold
> the power button three seconds" could be interpreted as:
> - You don't want to use the Power button to turn on (maybe it's broke).
> - Or, it's okay to use the Power button, but you don't want to wait the
> 3 seconds used to avoid accidental butt presses of the Power button.
>
> I took your inquiry as the latter: you want immediate power on using
the
> Power button.

That's just like you. You usually complain that the OP didn't give
enough information to provide an answer, but nontheless, you go on to
give an answer. This time, you made an assumption (you know what they
say about making assumptions, and you stepped right in it), but this time
you only made an ass out of yourself. Why not ask why I prefer not to
have to press the power button for three seconds, rather than assume I
just don't want to wait the three seconds?
..
And even after I state that it's because my hand is not able to do this,
and you've made a wrong assumption, you're still very defensive with your
reply.

<XnsAD64D3C0A986Cnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17678&group=comp.mobile.android#17678

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:49:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:49 UTC

Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> [...]
>>
>>> I was just hoping there was some way of turning it on without having
>>> to hard press and hold the power button. Perhaps via the
>>> fingerprint sensor. One touch turns it on, and the next touch
>>> unlocks it. But like I said in my OP, I doubt it.
>>
>> Sounds like you need a better designed armor case where its silicone
>> shell (used to absorb impacts) doesn't have holes for the buttons,
>> but has outdents to extend the buttons out through the hard outer
>> case.
>>
>> If all you have is a thin hard case with no silicone liner, toss it.
>> That case is not protecting your phone from you dropping it.
>> Possibly it might help from scratching the screen when laying it face
>> down on a desk, but a cheap hard case won't have much, if anything,
>> of a lip to raise the screen glass off the desk. Get rid of the
>> cheapo hard case, and just use the phone as-is, or get an armor case

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<sci7ri.d70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17683&group=comp.mobile.android#17683

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 12 Jul 2021 18:14:53 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:14 UTC

Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
[...]

> Yes, Airplane mode is a good way to save battery power, but I don't turn
> my phone(s) off in order to save battery power. I turn if off because I
> don't need to be 'connected' on a 24x7 basis.

But that's *exactly* what Airplane mode does! It switches off all
'radios' ('cellular' - i.e. calls and SMS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth), so you
*are* disconnected, when you switch Airplane mode on and are again
connected when you switch Airplane mode off.

So *why* is Airplane mode not a solution for you?

N.B. Never mind that switching Airplane mode on and off might require
a few taps. There are many apps which make that a simple toggle.

[...]

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<sci8e4.d70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17684&group=comp.mobile.android#17684

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 12 Jul 2021 18:24:44 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:24 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
[...]

> BTW for Frank: My Amazon Fire HD8+ tablet has wireless charging unlike
> many NORMAL Android tablets... ;)

Do we (SWMBO and I) look like we care!? :-)

But seriously: For us not having wireless charging capability is
basically a non-issue. SWMBO has a normal (Kobo) e-reader which goes
weeks - if not months - between charges. We do have a normal Android
tablet, but it's not used very often, so no biggie. And our current
smartphones have USB-C connections, which are sturdy and convenient
enough (and the phones go days between charges). When we first had
these smartphones, I thought about getting cables with magnetic
connectors for them, but later we didn't bother.

So keep on ruining the planet, we will just connect/disconnect! :-)

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<1owzhik2fh770.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17686&group=comp.mobile.android#17686

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:13:40 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:13 UTC

<j3g3ouvyw4kr$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17687&group=comp.mobile.android#17687

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:16:33 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:16 UTC

<170aqs7znjsty.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17688&group=comp.mobile.android#17688

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:18:19 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:18 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Yes, Airplane mode is a good way to save battery power, but I don't turn
>> my phone(s) off in order to save battery power. I turn if off because I
>> don't need to be 'connected' on a 24x7 basis.
>
> But that's *exactly* what Airplane mode does! It switches off all
> 'radios' ('cellular' - i.e. calls and SMS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth), so you
> *are* disconnected, when you switch Airplane mode on and are again
> connected when you switch Airplane mode off.
>
> So *why* is Airplane mode not a solution for you?
>
> N.B. Never mind that switching Airplane mode on and off might require
> a few taps. There are many apps which make that a simple toggle.
>
> [...]

Boris never mentioned the models of his phones (and we have to assume
they're all Samsung). He mentioned a fingerprint reader. On my phone,
the Power button and fingerprint reader are the same button. Could be
the same on his unnamed phones.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<025c00de-6fb4-e86f-e3bf-c20ebf6657f5@none.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17690&group=comp.mobile.android#17690

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:24:05 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:24 UTC

On 7/12/2021 11:24 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>> BTW for Frank: My Amazon Fire HD8+ tablet has wireless charging
>> unlike many NORMAL Android tablets... ;)
>
> Do we (SWMBO and I) look like we care!? :-)
>
> But seriously: For us not having wireless charging capability is
> basically a non-issue. SWMBO has a normal (Kobo) e-reader which goes
> weeks - if not months - between charges.

I have a Amazon Kindle e-reader that is much like your wife's Kobo
e-reader and likewise its battery also lasts weeks if not months. But an
Amazon Kindle e-reader is much different from an Amazon Fire tablet.

> We do have a normal Android tablet,

My Amazon Fire tablets are normal Android tablets in that they will run
most any app that other normal Android tablets will. It's true that they
come only with the Amazon Appstore installed, but then many other tablet
brands come with only the Play Store installed. And just like I have
both stores installed on my Fire tablets, I also have both stores
installed on my Samsung tablets. Actually 3 stores if you count the
Samsung store. Choice is good.

> but it's not used very often, so no biggie.

I agree that wireless charging is a YMMV thing.

> And our current smartphones have USB-C connections, which are sturdy
> and convenient enough

Yup. All my toys are USB-C now. It's a great convenience to not have to
figure out which way the plug goes in. And now it's even more convenient
to not have to plug in at all, be it my phone or tablet... ;)

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<sciekn$sfn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17691&group=comp.mobile.android#17691

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:10:30 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 22:10 UTC

On 7/12/2021 2:24 PM, AJL wrote:

<snip>

> My Amazon Fire tablets are normal Android tablets in that they will run
> most any app that other normal Android tablets will. It's true that they
> come only with the Amazon Appstore installed, but then many other tablet
> brands come with only the Play Store installed. And just like I have
> both stores installed on my Fire tablets, I also have both stores
> installed on my Samsung tablets. Actually 3 stores if you count the
> Samsung store. Choice is good.
>
>> but it's not used very often, so no biggie.
>
> I agree that wireless charging is a YMMV thing.
>
>> And our current smartphones have USB-C connections, which are sturdy
>>  and convenient enough
>
> Yup. All my toys are USB-C now. It's a great convenience to not have to
> figure out which way the plug goes in. And now it's even more convenient
> to not have to plug in at all, be it my phone or tablet...  ;)

The problem with the Amazon Fire tablets, versus most other Wi-Fi only
tablets, is that they lack a GPS chip. Ever since the original Google
Nexus 7 tablet, most name-brand Android tablets have a GPS. So you can
use them with navigation apps.

The non-LTE iPads have the same issue as the Amazon Fire, so even if
you're not paying for a data plan for a cellular iPad it still makes
sense to spend the extra money on the cellular model iPad.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<120720211817079705%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17692&group=comp.mobile.android#17692

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:17:07 -0400
References: <XnsAD6297066ACD1nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <1scpjnijrxzft.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <XnsAD639C36073F2nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <XnsAD6494BB8709Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <1r1y64gi8ps14$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <scg5vb$hml$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XnsAD64CBA433630nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <scgc8b$a24$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sci8e4.d70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <025c00de-6fb4-e86f-e3bf-c20ebf6657f5@none.com> <sciekn$sfn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 22:17 UTC

In article <sciekn$sfn$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> > My Amazon Fire tablets are normal Android tablets in that they will run
> > most any app that other normal Android tablets will. It's true that they
> > come only with the Amazon Appstore installed, but then many other tablet
> > brands come with only the Play Store installed. And just like I have
> > both stores installed on my Fire tablets, I also have both stores
> > installed on my Samsung tablets. Actually 3 stores if you count the
> > Samsung store. Choice is good.

> The problem with the Amazon Fire tablets, versus most other Wi-Fi only
> tablets, is that they lack a GPS chip. Ever since the original Google
> Nexus 7 tablet, most name-brand Android tablets have a GPS. So you can
> use them with navigation apps.

not everyone needs nor wants to use navigation apps or has a need for a
gps in a tablet, especially when they have a phone with a gps.

also, without cellular for assisted gps, it can sometimes take a while
to obtain a fix, making it not that useful in many situations.

> The non-LTE iPads have the same issue as the Amazon Fire, so even if
> you're not paying for a data plan for a cellular iPad it still makes
> sense to spend the extra money on the cellular model iPad.

not if someone has no need for a gps or cellular.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<scihka$1q7n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17693&group=comp.mobile.android#17693

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:01:31 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 23:01 UTC

On 7/12/2021 3:10 PM, sms wrote:

> The problem with the Amazon Fire tablets, versus most other Wi-Fi
> only tablets, is that they lack a GPS chip.

I doubt that's a problem for most. I've never needed GPS on any tablet.
My tablets stay home and if I take one on a trip it travels in the suitcase.

> Ever since the original Google Nexus 7 tablet, most name-brand
> Android tablets have a GPS. So you can use them with navigation
> apps.

Does anybody carry a tablet for navigation anymore? I sure don't see
them in cars these days. Probably because most have built in GPS screens
on the dash. I generally use my phone for navigation. That way when she
audibly directs me, I can keep my eyes on the road.

> The non-LTE iPads have the same issue as the Amazon Fire, so even if
> you're not paying for a data plan for a cellular iPad it still makes
> sense to spend the extra money on the cellular model iPad.

A cheap iPad is twice the cost of a Fire. I'd be pissed if it didn't
come with ALL the goodies... 8-O

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<120720211921110410%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17694&group=comp.mobile.android#17694

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 19:21:11 -0400
References: <XnsAD6297066ACD1nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <1scpjnijrxzft.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <XnsAD639C36073F2nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <XnsAD6494BB8709Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <1r1y64gi8ps14$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <scg5vb$hml$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XnsAD64CBA433630nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <scgc8b$a24$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sci8e4.d70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <025c00de-6fb4-e86f-e3bf-c20ebf6657f5@none.com> <sciekn$sfn$1@dont-email.me> <scihka$1q7n$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: nospam - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 23:21 UTC

In article <scihka$1q7n$1@gioia.aioe.org>, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

> > The problem with the Amazon Fire tablets, versus most other Wi-Fi
> > only tablets, is that they lack a GPS chip.
>
> I doubt that's a problem for most. I've never needed GPS on any tablet.
> My tablets stay home and if I take one on a trip it travels in the suitcase.

it depends what people use it for.

ebook reading, playing games, web surfing, writing documents,
taking/editing photos or video, etc. does not need a gps.

navigation does need a gps, but that's more commonly done with a phone,
so there's not a pressing need to have it on a tablet.

location can also be obtained via wifi geolocation, so the lack of a
gps isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as he makes it out to be.

> > Ever since the original Google Nexus 7 tablet, most name-brand
> > Android tablets have a GPS. So you can use them with navigation
> > apps.
>
> Does anybody carry a tablet for navigation anymore? I sure don't see
> them in cars these days. Probably because most have built in GPS screens
> on the dash. I generally use my phone for navigation. That way when she
> audibly directs me, I can keep my eyes on the road.

very, very few.

> > The non-LTE iPads have the same issue as the Amazon Fire, so even if
> > you're not paying for a data plan for a cellular iPad it still makes
> > sense to spend the extra money on the cellular model iPad.
>
> A cheap iPad is twice the cost of a Fire. I'd be pissed if it didn't
> come with ALL the goodies... 8-O

he's just trolling with his usual anti-apple crap.

what he fails to mention is that a gps without cellular (aka assisted
gps) can sometimes take as much as 15 minutes to get an initial fix,
although it's usually a few minutes, but even then, it's *not* ideal.

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<scij48$ak6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17695&group=comp.mobile.android#17695

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 01:27:19 +0200
References: <XnsAD6297066ACD1nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <1scpjnijrxzft.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <XnsAD639C36073F2nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <XnsAD6494BB8709Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <1r1y64gi8ps14$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <scg5vb$hml$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XnsAD64CBA433630nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <scgc8b$a24$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sci8e4.d70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <025c00de-6fb4-e86f-e3bf-c20ebf6657f5@none.com> <sciekn$sfn$1@dont-email.me> <scihka$1q7n$1@gioia.aioe.org> <120720211921110410%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: paul - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 23:27 UTC

nospam wrote on 12.07.2021 23:21
> what he fails to mention is that a gps without cellular (aka assisted
> gps) can sometimes take as much as 15 minutes to get an initial fix,
> although it's usually a few minutes, but even then, it's *not* ideal.

*Yet again, nospam proves to be completely ignorant of all known facts.*
What nospam is really saying is he _hates_ that Apple has tablets sans GPS.

The facts are we've covered, in detail, real world tests, where nospam's
time frames _never_ happened to _anyone_ who _ever_ tested his claims.
*How quickly does your phone obtain a GPS fix with no assist?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/2LVlC2KkDew/m/ZgYTerKmCwAJ>

What nospam is _really_ doing is making excuses for Apple, to the death.
(Almost every post by nospam is him attempting to cover up Apple's flaws.)
--
Alan Baker, Alan Browne, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<sckb3g.9g.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17699&group=comp.mobile.android#17699

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 13 Jul 2021 13:22:32 GMT
References: <XnsAD6297066ACD1nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <XnsAD639C36073F2nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <w8jfbaik7sae.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <XnsAD6494BB8709Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <1r1y64gi8ps14$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <scg5vb$hml$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XnsAD64CBA433630nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252> <scgc8b$a24$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sci8e4.d70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <025c00de-6fb4-e86f-e3bf-c20ebf6657f5@none.com> <sciekn$sfn$1@dont-email.me> <scihka$1q7n$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 13:22 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/2021 3:10 PM, sms wrote:
>
> > The problem with the Amazon Fire tablets, versus most other Wi-Fi
> > only tablets, is that they lack a GPS chip.
>
> I doubt that's a problem for most. I've never needed GPS on any tablet.
> My tablets stay home and if I take one on a trip it travels in the suitcase.
>
> > Ever since the original Google Nexus 7 tablet, most name-brand
> > Android tablets have a GPS. So you can use them with navigation
> > apps.
>
> Does anybody carry a tablet for navigation anymore?

Well, we do, but our use is indeed uncommon.

When we use the tablet for navigation, we use it in addition to a
smartphone. Our use is (read: 'was' :-()) navigation in rural/outback/
remote/<whatever> areas in Australia. SWMBO is the navigator and uses
the tablet for more long range navigation (kilometres and (much) more).
I am the driver and use the smartphone for close range navigation
(hundreds of metres to a few kilometres). We use offline navigation apps
(mostly OsmAnd+), because 1) most of the time there's no mobile coverage
and 2) online maps like Google Maps don't show the roads we drive nor
have the details we need.

So yes, *we* need a tablet with a GPS.

[...]

Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off

<sckfvh$16nf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17709&group=comp.mobile.android#17709

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:45:38 -0700
 by: AJL - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 16:45 UTC

On 7/13/2021 6:22 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>> Does anybody carry a tablet for navigation anymore?
>
> Well, we do, but our use is indeed uncommon.
>
> When we use the tablet for navigation, we use it in addition to a
> smartphone. Our use is (read: 'was' :-()) navigation in
> rural/outback/ remote/<whatever> areas in Australia.

Wow. My annual excursion is a 6 hour drive to the coast on the
interstate. Leaving tomorrow BTW and taking the HD8+. So will be on the
Groundhog (newsreader) for a few days.

While on the subject does anybody use a newsreader that works well with
Android 11? Groundhog loses its menu so it won't transmit and my paid
PhoNews will work with aioe but has a sign-in bug and won't work with
eternal-september. PhoNews is a PITA to use anyway. It would be nice to
find a new one that I like and works well. I seldom post with my phone
(my only Android 11 device) but it still bugs me (pun intended).

> SWMBO is the navigator and uses the tablet for more long range
> navigation (kilometres and (much) more). I am the driver and use the
> smartphone for close range navigation (hundreds of metres to a few
> kilometres). We use offline navigation apps (mostly OsmAnd+), because
> 1) most of the time there's no mobile coverage and 2) online maps
> like Google Maps don't show the roads we drive nor have the details
> we need.
>
> So yes, *we* need a tablet with a GPS.

My question (above) was poorly written. One person out of the world's
population would satisfy "anybody" and we now have 2 here (you and sms).

One thing I do kinda miss on the Fire tablets is FM capability. My
Samsung Tab A6 had it (had = gave it to a grandkid awhile back) and it
was handy to have occasionally. Not all interesting stations are online.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Toggling Android Phone On and Off