Warp 7 -- It's a law we can live with.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Re: Google & insecure apps

SubjectAuthor
* Google & insecure appsChris Newman
+* Re: Google & insecure appsChris Hughes
|`* Re: Google & insecure appsChris Newman
| +- Re: Google & insecure appsDave
| `* Re: Google & insecure appsChris Hughes
|  `- Re: Google & insecure appsRichard Darby (news)
+* Re: Google & insecure appsRussell Hafter News
|+- Re: Google & insecure appsChris Newman
|`* Re: Google & insecure appsChris Newman
| `* Re: Google & insecure appsRichard Darby (news)
|  `* Re: Google & insecure appsChris Newman
|   `* Re: Google & insecure appsRichard Darby (news)
|    `- Re: Google & insecure appsChris Newman
`* Re: Google & insecure appsBarry Punchard
 +* Re: Google & insecure appsHarriet Bazley
 |+- Re: Google & insecure appsHarriet Bazley
 |`- Re: Google & insecure appsBarry Punchard
 `* Re: Google & insecure appsChris Hughes
  `- Re: Google & insecure appsBarry Punchard

1
Google & insecure apps

<59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1750&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1750

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: Google & insecure apps
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:32:23 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:32 UTC

Hi,

There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.

In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several accounts for
different purposes.

I use Hermes within Netfetch to bring mail to my computer(s).

As I understand the Google help sheet, if I can find my app in their list
(Hermes???), I can get a code to use instead of my current login in
password but I need 2-factor authentication to do that so presumably I
have to have my phone on but still go on line to enter the code.

Have I got this right?

Is Hermes likely to be updated in the near future so Google will be happy
with it? I haven't seen any traffic on the Hermes mail list for ages.

What alternatives are there?

I have a Yahoo account on which I got their one time password when they
had a spat about insecure devices. That works OK without any other
safeguards/identification. I wonder how long that will last.

My Hotmail account also still with a POP3 account and a Live.com server
setting (fingers crossed) but the mem sahib has Outlook 2010 as part of
Office and Hotmail have stopped that as it's insecure. Now she's waiting
for her Gmail accounts to stop working.

My John Lewis (was Waitrose) account hosted by PlusNet has no problems

So what alternatives are there? Get our own domain? That would be a bit
of a learning curve.

What other alternatives are there?

I can't be the only one in the same boat.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Google & insecure apps

<5ffe8fdb59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1752&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1752

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Google & insecure apps
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:42:44 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:42 UTC

In message <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
> secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.

I thought Doug Webb had already given a suitable answer.

If you have a GMail account you would have received an email from them
about the change.

> In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several accounts for
> different purposes.

> I use Hermes within Netfetch to bring mail to my computer(s).

> As I understand the Google help sheet, if I can find my app in their list
> (Hermes???), I can get a code to use instead of my current login in
> password but I need 2-factor authentication to do that so presumably I
> have to have my phone on but still go on line to enter the code.

Hermes/NetFetch would be considered an insecure application.

> Have I got this right?

Gmail (Google) want you to really use Webmail, as that way they have more
control over you....

> Is Hermes likely to be updated in the near future so Google will be happy
> with it? I haven't seen any traffic on the Hermes mail list for ages.

I spoke awhile ago when I got my email notice about this change with
Andrew @R-Comp and he said he was aware of the change and they were
looking into it. This probably means implementing OAuth/OAuth2 into
Hermes, as these 'protocols' are the claimed more secure way to access
Gmail and some other services. They are also looking at seeing what can
be done with IMAP access.

I see Alan Wrigley has a short while ago also posted on the AW mailing
list confirming they are monitoring the situation.

> What alternatives are there?

For RISC OS probably having to use !Iris, if the application password
workaround does not work. Until changes can be made to Hermes.

> I have a Yahoo account on which I got their one time password when they
> had a spat about insecure devices. That works OK without any other
> safeguards/identification. I wonder how long that will last.

Sounds like they are using an application password.

> My Hotmail account also still with a POP3 account and a Live.com server
> setting (fingers crossed) but the mem sahib has Outlook 2010 as part of
> Office and Hotmail have stopped that as it's insecure. Now she's waiting
> for her Gmail accounts to stop working.

Outlook 2010 will also fail with the Gmail change, its mentions it
somewhere in the gmail support notes. Newer versions of Outlook like 2019
do work with the new OAuth/OAuth2 protocol apparently. As does the current
version of Thurderbird email client I am told.

iPad/iPhone will already work with the more secure protocols already for
gmail

> My John Lewis (was Waitrose) account hosted by PlusNet has no problems

They are not affected by the Gmail changes.

> So what alternatives are there? Get our own domain? That would be a bit
> of a learning curve.

I have two personal domains and of course the WROCC one I use. I use
20i.com for my personal domains now.

> What other alternatives are there?

> I can't be the only one in the same boat.

--
Chris Hughes
Don't miss this years Wakefield Show 21st May 2022 - we have moved to
Cedar Court Hotel, Bradford
Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dbaed9adcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1753&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1753

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:19:46 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:19 UTC

In article <5ffe8fdb59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > Hi,

> > There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
> > secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.

<Big snip>

> I have two personal domains and of course the WROCC one I use. I use
> 20i.com for my personal domains now.

Thanks for the input Chris.

Next question. Which are the best domain companies to start looking at?

--
Chris Newman

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dbb2d687dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1754&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1754

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:03:19 +0100
 by: Dave - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:03 UTC

In article <59dbaed9adcvjazz@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <5ffe8fdb59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>
> > Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,

> > > There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing
> > > "Less secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been
> > > reached.

> <Big snip>

> > I have two personal domains and of course the WROCC one I use. I use
> > 20i.com for my personal domains now.

> Thanks for the input Chris.

> Next question. Which are the best domain companies to start looking at?

In the past I had my/our domains hosted in different places, but a couple
of years ago, due to problems with those hosting companies I moved the two
remaining ones to Orpheus Internet.

Richard Brown is nice chap and also very helpful, and of course he does
know about RISC OS.

The two main domains, at slightly different times transferred easily, and
Richard has also set up other domains for us since.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Google & insecure apps

<b0eec7db59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1756&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1756

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:53:44 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:53 UTC

In message <59dbaed9adcvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <5ffe8fdb59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>
>> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,

>>> There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
>>> secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.

> <Big snip>

>> I have two personal domains and of course the WROCC one I use. I use
>> 20i.com for my personal domains now.

> Thanks for the input Chris.

> Next question. Which are the best domain companies to start looking at?

My suggestions is go for somewhere who can help you, especially if you
just want email hosting.

Orpheus Internet is an obvious one here, but I do suggest speaking to
Richard Brown - They will be at the Wakefield Show in May

XenCentric Hosting (formerly known as Purley Hosting and Spellings) run by
Neil Spellings - so knows about RISC OS as well.

Those would be my initial suggestions, you can always migrate them to
another hosting provider later.

Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dc073e4bsee.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1757&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1757

From: see....@russellhafter.me.invalid (Russell Hafter News)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:25:15 +0100
 by: Russell Hafter News - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:25 UTC

In article <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
<cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several
> accounts for different purposes.

I would dump Google after having got some other e-mail
addresses. And yes, getting your own domain, probably (as
others have suggested) via Orpheus or xenCentric (who I have
used for many years).

Once you have your own domain, even if you only have one
e-mail adress, you can set up an unlimited number of aliases
and Pluto can sort each alias into its own box.

If you feel that you need to keep the google e-mail
addresses, you can go into the Google settings and forward
all the e-mail to your new e-mail addresses.

It should also be perfectly straightforward to send your
e-mails to appear as if they have come from the google
e-mail address.

I have been doing all this for around a year now with e-mail
to/from myself @ a google-hosted domain.

If you feel that you

--
Russell
Russell Hafter

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dc06cfc0news@rjdarby.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1758&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1758

From: new...@rjdarby.co.uk (Richard Darby (news))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:20:34 +0100
 by: Richard Darby (news) - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:20 UTC

In article <b0eec7db59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59dbaed9adcvjazz@waitrose.com>
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > In article <5ffe8fdb59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> > Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> > <Big snip>

> >> I have two personal domains and of course the WROCC one I use. I use
> >> 20i.com for my personal domains now.

> > Thanks for the input Chris.

> > Next question. Which are the best domain companies to start looking at?

> My suggestions is go for somewhere who can help you, especially if you
> just want email hosting.

> Orpheus Internet is an obvious one here, but I do suggest speaking to
> Richard Brown - They will be at the Wakefield Show in May

> XenCentric Hosting (formerly known as Purley Hosting and Spellings) run
> by Neil Spellings - so knows about RISC OS as well.

> Those would be my initial suggestions, you can always migrate them to
> another hosting provider later.

I agree with Chris. My personal domain is hosted by Orpheus and I look
after two other domains hosted over the years by
Spellings/Purley/Xencentric. I find support is very good from both
Richard Brown and Neil Spellings. All email accounts work without a
problem with Netfetch/Hermes/Pluto.

Richard Darby.

--

Richard Darby.
website: http://www.rjdarby.co.uk

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dc9adac0cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1759&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1759

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:17:34 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:17 UTC

In article <59dc073e4bsee.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid>,
Russell Hafter News <see.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid> wrote:
> In article <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several
> > accounts for different purposes.

> I would dump Google after having got some other e-mail
> addresses. And yes, getting your own domain, probably (as
> others have suggested) via Orpheus or xenCentric (who I have
> used for many years).

> Once you have your own domain, even if you only have one
> e-mail adress, you can set up an unlimited number of aliases
> and Pluto can sort each alias into its own box.

> If you feel that you need to keep the google e-mail
> addresses, you can go into the Google settings and forward
> all the e-mail to your new e-mail addresses.

> It should also be perfectly straightforward to send your
> e-mails to appear as if they have come from the google
> e-mail address.

> I have been doing all this for around a year now with e-mail
> to/from myself @ a google-hosted domain.

Thanks for everyone's help. I didn't realize Orpheus did domains without
Richard being my ISP.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dd50e1c9cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1760&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1760

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:25:47 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:25 UTC

In article <59dc073e4bsee.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid>,
Russell Hafter News <see.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid> wrote:
> In article <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several
> > accounts for different purposes.

> I would dump Google after having got some other e-mail
> addresses. And yes, getting your own domain, probably (as
> others have suggested) via Orpheus or xenCentric (who I have
> used for many years).

I looked at https://www.xencentrichosting.uk/ but when I went to "Our
Solutions" -> "Domain Registration" there was a re-direct which I
couldn't get to work.

Orpheus site worked OK.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dd520b99news@rjdarby.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1761&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1761

From: new...@rjdarby.co.uk (Richard Darby (news))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:38:30 +0100
 by: Richard Darby (news) - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:38 UTC

In article <59dd50e1c9cvjazz@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <59dc073e4bsee.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid>,
> Russell Hafter News <see.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <59db47a2bbcvjazz@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> > <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > > In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several
> > > accounts for different purposes.

> > I would dump Google after having got some other e-mail
> > addresses. And yes, getting your own domain, probably (as
> > others have suggested) via Orpheus or xenCentric (who I have
> > used for many years).

> I looked at https://www.xencentrichosting.uk/ but when I went to "Our
> Solutions" -> "Domain Registration" there was a re-direct which I
> couldn't get to work.

> Orpheus site worked OK.

What browser were you using? You need to use a modern capable browser on
Xencentric site. For RISC OS anything less than Iris may give problems.

Richard Darby.

--

Richard Darby.
website: http://www.rjdarby.co.uk
Do not reply to this address all mail is deleted.
Reply to: <my first name> at <my domain>

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dd52b640cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1762&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1762

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:45:48 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:45 UTC

In article <59dd520b99news@rjdarby.co.uk>, Richard Darby (news)
<news@rjdarby.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59dd50e1c9cvjazz@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > In article <59dc073e4bsee.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid>, Russell
> > Hafter News <see.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid> wrote:

> > > I would dump Google after having got some other e-mail addresses.
> > > And yes, getting your own domain, probably (as others have
> > > suggested) via Orpheus or xenCentric (who I have used for many
> > > years).

> > I looked at https://www.xencentrichosting.uk/ but when I went to
> > "Our Solutions" -> "Domain Registration" there was a re-direct which
> > I couldn't get to work.

> > Orpheus site worked OK.

> What browser were you using? You need to use a modern capable browser
> on Xencentric site. For RISC OS anything less than Iris may give
> problems.

Tried Iris on RISC OS and Opera on Windows.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59dd916da6news@rjdarby.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1763&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1763

From: new...@rjdarby.co.uk (Richard Darby (news))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:10:55 +0100
 by: Richard Darby (news) - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 09:10 UTC

In article <59dd52b640cvjazz@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <59dd520b99news@rjdarby.co.uk>, Richard Darby (news)
> <news@rjdarby.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <59dd50e1c9cvjazz@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> > <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > > I looked at https://www.xencentrichosting.uk/ but when I went to
> > > "Our Solutions" -> "Domain Registration" there was a re-direct which
> > > I couldn't get to work.

> > > Orpheus site worked OK.

> > What browser were you using? You need to use a modern capable browser
> > on Xencentric site. For RISC OS anything less than Iris may give
> > problems.

> Tried Iris on RISC OS and Opera on Windows.

Try it again today, it may have been a glitch. If no joy, email
support@xencentrichosting.uk to report it to Neil.

Richard Darby.

--

Richard Darby.
website: http://www.rjdarby.co.uk
Do not reply to this address all mail is deleted.
Reply to: <my first name> at <my domain>

Re: Google & insecure apps

<59e0439e7fcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1764&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1764

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:49:34 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:49 UTC

In article <59dd916da6news@rjdarby.co.uk>, Richard Darby (news)
<news@rjdarby.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59dd52b640cvjazz@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > In article <59dd520b99news@rjdarby.co.uk>, Richard Darby (news)
> > <news@rjdarby.co.uk> wrote:

> > > What browser were you using? You need to use a modern capable
> > > browser on Xencentric site. For RISC OS anything less than Iris
> > > may give problems.

> > Tried Iris on RISC OS and Opera on Windows.

> Try it again today, it may have been a glitch. If no joy, email
> support@xencentrichosting.uk to report it to Neil.

Forgot to say I've contacted Neil. 'Twas a glitch with the site. Now
sorted

--
Chris Newman

Re: Google & insecure apps

<406d61e959.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1765&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1765

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 10:40:56 +0300
 by: Barry Punchard - Mon, 16 May 2022 07:40 UTC

On 19 Apr cvjazz@waitrose.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
> secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.
>
> In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several accounts for
> different purposes.
>
> I use Hermes within Netfetch to bring mail to my computer(s).
>
> As I understand the Google help sheet, if I can find my app in their list
> (Hermes???), I can get a code to use instead of my current login in
> password but I need 2-factor authentication to do that so presumably I
> have to have my phone on but still go on line to enter the code.
>
> Have I got this right?
>
> Is Hermes likely to be updated in the near future so Google will be happy
> with it? I haven't seen any traffic on the Hermes mail list for ages.
>
> What alternatives are there?
>
> I have a Yahoo account on which I got their one time password when they
> had a spat about insecure devices. That works OK without any other
> safeguards/identification. I wonder how long that will last.
>
> My Hotmail account also still with a POP3 account and a Live.com server
> setting (fingers crossed) but the mem sahib has Outlook 2010 as part of
> Office and Hotmail have stopped that as it's insecure. Now she's waiting
> for her Gmail accounts to stop working.
>
> My John Lewis (was Waitrose) account hosted by PlusNet has no problems
>
> So what alternatives are there? Get our own domain? That would be a bit
> of a learning curve.
>
> What other alternatives are there?
>
> I can't be the only one in the same boat.

I know this has been discussed here and elsewhere and I have that same problem,
using Messenger and Netfetch with a Google email account.

What is the summary answer, please? Google are still pushing this as something
they will do imminently - like in a few weeks. So is this something a change in
RISCOS/ RComp software is planning to deal with?

a) If so, can we expect modified software to be made available soon?

b) Or, has a step by step alternative been produced?

b) Do I have to drop gmail and have all the hassle that entails? I've used POP3
for so long and don't want webmail, because of being stuck with their appalling
email management software.

I am abroad and don't feel I can deal with anything other than a simple solution
with little technical involvement.

Sorry, if the answer is already contained in the above that I haven't absorbed.
Thanks,
Barry
--
__ ___
//_)) //__))

Re: Google & insecure apps

<444864e959.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1766&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1766

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:12:07 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:12 UTC

On 16 May 2022 as I do recall,
Barry Punchard wrote:

> On 19 Apr cvjazz@waitrose.com wrote:
>

> > There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
> > secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.

[snip]

> I know this has been discussed here and elsewhere and I have that same
> problem, using Messenger and Netfetch with a Google email account.
>
> What is the summary answer, please? Google are still pushing this as something
> they will do imminently - like in a few weeks. So is this something a
> change in RISCOS/ RComp software is planning to deal with?
>
> a) If so, can we expect modified software to be made available soon?
>
> b) Or, has a step by step alternative been produced?

Chris Newman posted a step-by-step alternative in
comp.sys.acorn.networking. It requires one-off web access to GMail (so
won't work with NetSurf) and one-off access to a mobile phone, but after
that you can continue to access your e-mail via Netfetch and POP3.

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:22:30 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:22 UTC

In message <406d61e959.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 Apr cvjazz@waitrose.com wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
>> secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.
>>
>> In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several accounts for
>> different purposes.
>>
>> I use Hermes within Netfetch to bring mail to my computer(s).
>>
>> As I understand the Google help sheet, if I can find my app in their list
>> (Hermes???), I can get a code to use instead of my current login in
>> password but I need 2-factor authentication to do that so presumably I
>> have to have my phone on but still go on line to enter the code.
>>
>> Have I got this right?
>>
>> Is Hermes likely to be updated in the near future so Google will be happy
>> with it? I haven't seen any traffic on the Hermes mail list for ages.
>>
>> What alternatives are there?
>>
>> I have a Yahoo account on which I got their one time password when they
>> had a spat about insecure devices. That works OK without any other
>> safeguards/identification. I wonder how long that will last.
>>
>> My Hotmail account also still with a POP3 account and a Live.com server
>> setting (fingers crossed) but the mem sahib has Outlook 2010 as part of
>> Office and Hotmail have stopped that as it's insecure. Now she's waiting
>> for her Gmail accounts to stop working.
>>
>> My John Lewis (was Waitrose) account hosted by PlusNet has no problems
>>
>> So what alternatives are there? Get our own domain? That would be a bit
>> of a learning curve.
>>
>> What other alternatives are there?
>>
>> I can't be the only one in the same boat.
>>

> I know this has been discussed here and elsewhere and I have that same
> problem,
> using Messenger and Netfetch with a Google email account.

> What is the summary answer, please? Google are still pushing this as
> something
> they will do imminently - like in a few weeks. So is this something a
> change in
> RISCOS/ RComp software is planning to deal with?

> a) If so, can we expect modified software to be made available soon?

R-Comp are aware and looking at options, but it should still work
afterwards anyway by changing to an 'application password' generated by
Google, rather then your own.

> b) Or, has a step by step alternative been produced?

One has been published in these lists, and on ArchiveOnline

> b) Do I have to drop gmail and have all the hassle that entails? I've used
> POP3
> for so long and don't want webmail, because of being stuck with their
> appalling
> email management software.

Although I do have a gmail account mainly as a backup. I have my own
domains so I control my email not Google or my ISP.

[snip]

Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Google & insecure apps

<6f9f69e959.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1768&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1768

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 10:10:27 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Mon, 16 May 2022 09:10 UTC

On 16 May 2022 as I do recall,
Harriet Bazley wrote:

[snip]

> Sign into your Google account.
> Select "Security" in the left hand menu.
> You may have to keep signing back into you account to verify it's you
> during the process.
> Follow instructions to enable 2-step verification.
> You will need a phone for the set up as they send you a code. I had one
> listed with them as I have an Android phone which needs the ridiculously
> named "PlayStore."

Note that once you have done this you will now be unable to access your
webmail without a mobile phone (which is why I was putting off doing it)
- you will only have POP3 access!

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

He who hesitates is sometimes saved.

Re: Google & insecure apps

<1751dbe959.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1769&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1769

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:52:18 +0300
 by: Barry Punchard - Tue, 17 May 2022 05:52 UTC

On 16 May harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk wrote:

> On 16 May 2022 as I do recall,
> Barry Punchard wrote:
[snip]

> I know this has been discussed here and elsewhere and I have that same
> problem, using Messenger and Netfetch with a Google email account.
>
> What is the summary answer, please? Google are still pushing this as something
> they will do imminently - like in a few weeks. So is this something a
> change in RISCOS/ RComp software is planning to deal with?
>
> [SNIP]
>
> b) Or, has a step by step alternative been produced?
>
> > Chris Newman posted a step-by-step alternative in
[SNIP]

Thank you very much Chris and Harriet. That all went well with 3 mail addresses.
so that problem is dealt with until Google feel so concerned about MY security
that they introduce another hurdle.

Barry

--
__ ___
//_)) //__))
//__))arry //unchard mailto:barry.punchard@gmail.com
____________________

Re: Google & insecure apps

<2ca1dce959.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1770&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1770

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 09:06:38 +0300
 by: Barry Punchard - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:06 UTC

On 16 May news13@noonehere.co.uk wrote:

> In message <406d61e959.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 19 Apr cvjazz@waitrose.com wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There is a thread on the ROOL forum regarding Google withdrawing "Less
> >> secure app" access. No firm conclusion seems to have been reached.
> >>
> >> In days of yore when Gmail was simple I got several accounts for
> >> different purposes.
> >>
> >> I use Hermes within Netfetch to bring mail to my computer(s).
> >>
> >> As I understand the Google help sheet, if I can find my app in their list
> >> (Hermes???), I can get a code to use instead of my current login in
> >> password but I need 2-factor authentication to do that so presumably I
> >> have to have my phone on but still go on line to enter the code.
> >>
> >> Have I got this right?
> >>
> >> Is Hermes likely to be updated in the near future so Google will be happy
> >> with it? I haven't seen any traffic on the Hermes mail list for ages.
> >>
> >> What alternatives are there?
> >>
> >> I have a Yahoo account on which I got their one time password when they
> >> had a spat about insecure devices. That works OK without any other
> >> safeguards/identification. I wonder how long that will last.
> >>
> >> My Hotmail account also still with a POP3 account and a Live.com server
> >> setting (fingers crossed) but the mem sahib has Outlook 2010 as part of
> >> Office and Hotmail have stopped that as it's insecure. Now she's waiting
> >> for her Gmail accounts to stop working.
> >>
> >> My John Lewis (was Waitrose) account hosted by PlusNet has no problems
> >>
> >> So what alternatives are there? Get our own domain? That would be a bit
> >> of a learning curve.
> >>
> >> What other alternatives are there?
> >>
> >> I can't be the only one in the same boat.
> >>

> > I know this has been discussed here and elsewhere and I have that same
> > problem,
> > using Messenger and Netfetch with a Google email account.
>
> > What is the summary answer, please? Google are still pushing this as
> > something
> > they will do imminently - like in a few weeks. So is this something a
> > change in
> > RISCOS/ RComp software is planning to deal with?
>
> > a) If so, can we expect modified software to be made available soon?
>
> R-Comp are aware and looking at options, but it should still work
> afterwards anyway by changing to an 'application password' generated by
> Google, rather then your own.
>
> > b) Or, has a step by step alternative been produced?
>
> One has been published in these lists, and on ArchiveOnline
>
> > b) Do I have to drop gmail and have all the hassle that entails? I've used
> > POP3
> > for so long and don't want webmail, because of being stuck with their
> > appalling
> > email management software.
>
> Although I do have a gmail account mainly as a backup. I have my own
> domains so I control my email not Google or my ISP.

Thanks for the comments Chris H. I hope to return to live in the UK soon and do
the same eventually.

Barry
--
__ ___