From: are...@PALANT.remove-p9q-this (Arelor)
Subject: Synchonet Guru UX issues
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 17:55:09 -0600
 by: Arelor - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 23:55 UTC

Hello there,

yesterday I was trying the Chat functionality of the BBS I regularly called and
started a chat with the guru for kicks. So far, so good. However, I have
noticed there is no clear indication about how to quit the chat once in. This
leads to a situation similar to the one you get when you open a Vi editor and
don't know how to quit. You start bashing keys at random until something
happens.

I have found no documentation on the Internet either.

Some thoughts about how to improve the situation?

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Synchonet Guru UX issues

<63DDBA55.8034.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17723&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17723

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-zkf-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 19:52:21 -0600
 by: MRO - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 01:52 UTC

To: Arelor
Re: Synchonet Guru UX issues
By: Arelor to All on Fri Feb 03 2023 05:55 pm

> Hello there,
>
> yesterday I was trying the Chat functionality of the BBS I regularly called
> and started a chat with the guru for kicks. So far, so good. However, I have
> noticed there is no clear indication about how to quit the chat once in.
> This leads to a situation similar to the one you get when you open a Vi
> editor and don't know how to quit. You start bashing keys at random until
> something happens.
>
> I have found no documentation on the Internet either.
>
> Some thoughts about how to improve the situation?

when you're done with someone you say bye, right? did you try that?
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Synchonet Guru UX issues

<63DDD037.48944.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17724&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#17724

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-v0-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 19:25:43 -0800
 by: Digital Man - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 03:25 UTC

To: Arelor
Re: Synchonet Guru UX issues
By: Arelor to All on Fri Feb 03 2023 05:55 pm

> Hello there,
>
> yesterday I was trying the Chat functionality of the BBS I regularly called
> and started a chat with the guru for kicks. So far, so good. However, I have
> noticed there is no clear indication about how to quit the chat once in.
> This leads to a situation similar to the one you get when you open a Vi
> editor and don't know how to quit. You start bashing keys at random until
> something happens.
>
> I have found no documentation on the Internet either.
>
> Some thoughts about how to improve the situation?

You could edit your ctrl/guru.dat if you want to make exiting chat with him easier, but it's sort of part of the game of it: treat The Guru like a person. Would you tell a person you were chatting with "Exit" or "Quit"?
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #92:
Digital Man's manifesto from '96: http://wiki.synchro.net/history:manifesto
Norco, CA WX: 58.1°F, 47.0% humidity, 3 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs